Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HawkHill posted:

That makes sense.

Like you say, it can be used for expressing frustration or exasperation. For a reader who may not be familiar with other usages it's not a giant leap from there to being pissed off at Bill.

it has nothing to do with not understanding the other uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HawkHill posted:

Like you say, it can be used for expressing frustration or exasperation.

The people who tend to do it the most are people who are always frustrated or exasperated who are without fail the biggest dickheads you'll ever meet hth.........

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dash Rendar is not Kyle Katarn.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
A long time ago in a Galaxy far away (gently caress you).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Can't we all just get along...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wonder if it has anything to do with the ‘person is typing’ ...s

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

HawkHill posted:

Can't...get along

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Captain, we got an SOS from a ship, but he kinda sounds like a dick. Leave on read, yeah?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I actually do in fact have ADHD

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Len posted:

Lmao yeah it's a trip and you're like holy poo poo I'm actually different than I thought

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wasabi the J posted:

Lmao yeah it's a trip and you're like holy poo poo I'm actually different than I thought

I've suspected it was a thing for a long time but I finally broke down and went to get testing done. Next step is wait for him to get through his backlog of report writing and then start getting the medication worked out.

His assumption is the untreated ADHD is attributing to my anxiety and depression so the hope is that my brain will start to be better soon.

It would have been nice to know that before I went to college and struggled through getting a degree

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Len posted:

yeah. same. :smith: Life was a lot harder than it needed to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Monkey posted:

yeah. same. :smith: Life was a lot harder than it needed to be.

The guy looking at my test results assumes that it didn't get caught in public school because I was smart enough to stay above their radar so like yay I guess? I'm too smart to have my broke brains noticed when it could have helped me

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Len posted:

The guy looking at my test results assumes that it didn't get caught in public school because I was smart enough to stay above their radar so like yay I guess? I'm too smart to have my broke brains noticed when it could have helped me

It'd explain why I literally slept my way through high school and then suddenly struggled a lot in my first attempt at college.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Monkey posted:

It'd explain why I literally slept my way through high school and then suddenly struggled a lot in my first attempt at college.

hey that sounds real similar. i went to college and started over, quickly got overwhelmed, got more and more behind and ultimately failed out of the first school. i transferred to a different one and struggled through three and a half more years before ultimately getting the barest minimum i could to graduate

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Having undiagnosed brain problems but just getting by on smarts is a real pain. If I had gotten help a few years earlier I would've had a much easier time at uni, and probably had/kept more friends from high school. But instead, crappy sadbrains I didn't even realize I had until I didn't as much anymore and got the "woah, is this how good feels?" epiphany.

Hope the diagnosis brings positive change for you!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phosphine posted:

Hope the diagnosis brings positive change for you!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Could be society is failing on the whole too.

But ADHD kids are good at coming up with copes, and mine was turning tests into games and crushing them without very much mastery in the subject, going so far as to test out of the remaining two years of HS in a "make up" computer taught, self paced class.

Then I dropped out of college 3 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZrZa5pLXk

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 00:45 on May 13, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Len posted:

hey that sounds real similar. i went to college and started over, quickly got overwhelmed, got more and more behind and ultimately failed out of the first school. i transferred to a different one and struggled through three and a half more years before ultimately getting the barest minimum i could to graduate

Yep. Ended up dropping out twice then finally finishing at 30. Now I’m getting a masters more or less effortlessly. It’s crazy how that works, it’s also crazy how working in the real world and figuring out ‘copes’ like Wasabi the J said can help you out in different areas.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The next fear I have is that I went through all this and my insurance doesn't want to cover stimulants. They've got a track record of screwing me over on fills

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat, at least they're not screwing you over on pills

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat, at least they're not screwing you over on pills

Those too lol

drat autocorrect and my tendency to slampost without checking

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:respek: brain weasels club.

I just wish the meth dexamphetamine/Ritalin didn't make eating food feel horrible.

But I've also managed to get past the university stage and into the work stage, and I'm like "lol no I'm not taking stims just to improve results for my capitalist overlords". I think mine's mild enough to just manage as is.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I didn't get to finish one of the games on my old Amstrad 6128 back in the 80's because the answer to one of the riddles was a line from the US constitution or something, which I guess every kid in the US would have had drilled into them but since I was a dumbass kid in Australia I had no idea what the hell it was. I think I revisited it a decade later or something and it finally clicked and I finally got to finish the game, which was massively anticlimactic after all that time.

I remember reading a book as a kid, pre-internet, where something was described as "milquetoast" and was totally confused because it wasn't in the Oxford or Macquarie dictionaries - I even went to the library where they had a complete unabridged Oxford.

Turns out, Caspar Milquetoast was a US cartoon character in the 1930s and the name had become synonymous with "weenie".

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Turns out, Caspar Milquetoast was a US cartoon character in the 1930s and the name had become synonymous with "weenie".

It's older even than that, milk toast was a breakfast food which the character got his name from which was considered mild and easy to digest.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Whybird posted:

It's older even than that, milk toast was a breakfast food which the character got his name from which was considered mild and easy to digest.

The character is named after the food, the adjective is named after the character. You're both right! :toot:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

The character is named after the food, the adjective is named after the character. You're both right! :toot:

p sure there is a word for this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whybird posted:

The very similar insult 'milksop' pretty much came about the same way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Carthag Tuek posted:

p sure there is a word for this

The Germans call it ZeichenbenanntnachhabensieAdjektivbenanntnachZeichen

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperlynx posted:

:respek: brain weasels club.

I just wish the meth dexamphetamine/Ritalin didn't make eating food feel horrible.

But I've also managed to get past the university stage and into the work stage, and I'm like "lol no I'm not taking stims just to improve results for my capitalist overlords". I think mine's mild enough to just manage as is.

I'm hoping this screws with my ability to multitask and they cut my workload back to two people. I really hate that after x years of my account being two people they went "Len can do both halves on his own!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I take my pills and everyone's journey is different. I didn't seek treatment for a long time because "other people with ADHD manage without meds maybe I can too!"

Then I was sucking down energy drinks until my kidneys were dessicated lumps of salt and I was still "loving up" normies poo poo like "being on time" and "not arguing with loving morons that are also my boss."

There are "medications" to fix the hunger issues. Try whatever feels safe for you.

Personal anecdote: I stayed away from dex until I went through all non-stim meds first just because I wanted to make sure it was right for me and not my past joy-riding college-self latching onto the sweet unlocked brain chemicals that ADHD inhibits; but then I realized I was mainly joy-riding because I was actually passing classes and advancing at work. I didn't want to use more but I wanted it a little bit almost all the time and I was worried that was addiction, so I joined the loving army because I have an executive disorder and thought that was a good idea.

What I'm saying is our brains are complicated and can be self-sabotaging so sometimes outside help is absolutely necessary, and I want to destigmatize the meds from both within and without the ADHD community.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 18:50 on May 13, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The brain guy even thinks that getting this under control might help with my anxiety and depression. It's gonna be a whole thing but I'm optimistic :unsmith:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The therapist and clinic I have have been instrumental in helping address my anxiety and depression, and they help mostly by making sure I stay on track with my own treatment even if it's just checking in.

Externalizing poo poo kills the ruminating for me; I have the ADHD hyperfocus decision paralysis that gets triggered when I start thinking too hard about doing something "right", where I end up over-researching or doing a lot of supplemental tasks instead of the one I ACTUALLY want or have to accomplish.

Therapy helped me learn when to recognize that poo poo happening and just being overall more aware of how our brains work has alleviated a lot of my unintentional rabbit-holing and stress out sessions.

The meds help me turn the thoughts into an action tho.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Germans call it ZeichenbenanntnachhabensieAdjektivbenanntnachZeichen

Tja

I was more thinking like gennemdragsbetydning or maybe something with tvær-

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wasabi the J posted:

The therapist and clinic I have have been instrumental in helping address my anxiety and depression, and they help mostly by making sure I stay on track with my own treatment even if it's just checking in.

Externalizing poo poo kills the ruminating for me; I have the ADHD hyperfocus decision paralysis that gets triggered when I start thinking too hard about doing something "right", where I end up over-researching or doing a lot of supplemental tasks instead of the one I ACTUALLY want or have to accomplish.

Therapy helped me learn when to recognize that poo poo happening and just being overall more aware of how our brains work has alleviated a lot of my unintentional rabbit-holing and stress out sessions.

The meds help me turn the thoughts into an action tho.

I appreciate posts like this! I'll probably look into further counseling because I definitely don't think medicine alone will do everything. But I'm waiting to see where the bills sit once everything is said and done. So far it hasn't been anywhere near as much as I expected it to be

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Len posted:

I appreciate posts like this! I'll probably look into further counseling because I definitely don't think medicine alone will do everything. But I'm waiting to see where the bills sit once everything is said and done. So far it hasn't been anywhere near as much as I expected it to be

Counseling, specifically CBT, is intensely useful. Good luck weird brain buddy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hell yeah step on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Them