Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1392597174014332929

You know, I don't hate it. Better than a free refill at participating restaurants. For those under 17 they're raffling off a full ride to AN Ohio state university.

I mean, yeah. gently caress it, if all else fails throw money and Big Special Prizes at the problem. A chance for a million bucks? I'll get vaccinated again for a chance at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

The Sean posted:

I don't have In'N'Out around me but I'm curious about why they're lovely and also if them being lovely is still for patronization of their locations.

Iirc their pet charity org’s focus is domestic violence shelters and is legit.

The reference there was to them putting John 3:16 on the inside rim of the bottom of the cups.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

That's...actually kind of inspired tbh. A Republican Governor implemented this?

Out of the red state GOP governors, DeWine probably took it the most seriously.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, the Bible verses on In'N'Out's paper cups are kinda spooky at first but they've never leaned into the culture war poo poo at all and they pay their employees well.

They're a California chain, if they were doing the Chick-fil-a thing of donating to bad people it would've been reported on before now.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

eviltastic posted:

The reference there was to them putting John 3:16 on the inside rim of the bottom of the cups.

Oof. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Basically what In'N'Out does is go "here's your food, btw hooray for Jesus!" It's honestly far from the worst message from a fast food chain these days.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, the Bible verses on In'N'Out's paper cups are kinda spooky at first but they've never leaned into the culture war poo poo at all and they pay their employees well.

They're a California chain, if they were doing the Chick-fil-a thing of donating to bad people it would've been reported on before now.

Depends if you consider executives of the corp directly donating to republican politicians including Donald Trump to reflect on the organization. A quick Google gave me the In-N-Out Burger OpenSecrets profile https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/in...recipcycle=2020

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Sean posted:

I don't consider "don't support anti-LGBTQ establishments" smug since I feel it's an ethical decision. I don't have In'N'Out around me but I'm curious about why they're lovely and also if them being lovely is still for patronization of their locations.

Edit: speaking of hobby lobby sucks for not only not funding birth control for their employees but also literally buying stolen religious artifacts from ISIS.

the only controversy around in-n-out that i can remember is they donated a decent amount of money to the republican party back during the 2018 midterms with no indication that they offset this with a donation to the democrats. i've never seen any objections over their charitable donations, but the family who owns the company are deeply religious so who knows what they do with their personal fortune

it would take something monumentally and uniquely heinous about their practices for me to stop eating their burgers

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Every single fast-food retailer except Ben & Jerry's donated to Donald Trump. He will always be the Filet-o-Fish prophet.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1392602041025843203

Oh word? You just realized this now?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nonsense posted:

Every single fast-food retailer except Ben & Jerry's donated to Donald Trump. He will always be the Filet-o-Fish prophet.

Since when is Ben & Jerry's a fast-food retailer?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
The fact that CFA has responded to criticism on this stuff by changing their donation policies makes it seem like the boycott/backlash worked? I'm not sure why people expect others to continue to enact a loose unorganized boycott after the goal has been achieved unless I misunderstand the objectives.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I know I am probably going to have to give up chocolate very soon because I am becoming increasingly aware of all the poo poo done to get cocoa.

There is no way to live ethically under our current system of governance, however you can at least try. It's always interesting to see where people draw that particular line though I suppose.

DarkHorse posted:

The difference is epistemic closure: the ability for outside information to enter and be accepted into the bubble.

These guys have been told "we're the only ones you can trust" for so long their info can ONLY come from within the bubble, and they still need an other to battle against so they schism. You see a version with leftist circular firing squads too.

This happens in every group to a greater or lesser extent though. No one has a completely open mind about everything and the need to understand something completely is nigh impossible.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Krtzyy/status/1392603199962554370?s=20

jfc lmao

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

SpartanIvy posted:

Since when is Ben & Jerry's a fast-food retailer?

Since they opened over 600 fast food locations?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

oh no 54 to 53

however if it drops to anywhere near zero(as it should), lmao as well

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eviltastic posted:

lol John 3 16 is almost as inoffensive as it's possible to be for a Bible verse (insofar as it is still explicitly Christian and not a general warm and fuzzy sentiment)

gonna need a hell of a lot more than that to oppose in n out

Nonsense posted:

the objection to classifying ben and jerries aside I'm curious about yer sources here

edit apparently I'm behind on my bj lore but suggestion stands

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

oh no 54 to 53

however if it drops to anywhere near zero(as it should), lmao as well

It's going to drop a lot further than that. @jack will probably make a huge purchase to keep it afloat though, I think he's the biggest holder of it on earth.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

BTW I love how smug goons and libs generally get about CFA's ownership's religious beliefs and causes but turn around and talk about how kickass In'N'Out Burger is. Might just wanna check the religious beliefs of the (pretty young considering) woman that owns that company. Then tip your shake cup upside down and ask yourself, is that a bible verse printed on there?

Haven't eaten there either, I'm from the midwest where all our regional chains are either totally unknown to the rest of the country or have already driven themselves to bankruptcy through the normal and boring kind of corrupt and unethical behavior.

If any of them are secret or even open fundies it's probably Culvers but tbh if I'm eating out I'm getting Indian. I don't think people are being sneeringly smug about what you acknowledge is material support for bigots and your reasoning isn't terrible relevant to anybody who cares enough to bring it up. It's not like growing up in the south means being born with a geas driving you to it as soon as the smell of its chicken hits the wind

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The fact that CFA has responded to criticism on this stuff by changing their donation policies makes it seem like the boycott/backlash worked? I'm not sure why people expect others to continue to enact a loose unorganized boycott after the goal has been achieved unless I misunderstand the objectives.

As always happens in this case, they changed it right back when people weren't looking. Listen to people when they tell you who they are, they're getting rich being what they are they aren't gonna change it because some libs cried to the rotten corrupt press about them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Isn't Musk also heavily into doge?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MixMasterMalaria posted:

its always easier to boycott something you don't even have the option of purchasing rather than something you use every day. lmao trying to boycott amazon. since its easy for me to boycott it, then it should be similarly easy for you to boycott it, and if you do not boycott it then your motivations are suspicious and you will need to report for further questioning

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KitConstantine posted:

Depends if you consider executives of the corp directly donating to republican politicians including Donald Trump to reflect on the organization. A quick Google gave me the In-N-Out Burger OpenSecrets profile https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/in...recipcycle=2020

Oh yeah, that's bad with a capital B, but they didn't exactly go out of their way advertise the fact.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How is this poo poo not illegal? Musk is engaging in straight up market manipulation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kraftwerk posted:

How is this poo poo not illegal? Musk is engaging in straight up market manipulation.

He's richer than Croesus.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

How is it market manipulation? He's saying that bitcoin is destructive to the environment and he's not gonna take it for purchases anymore. Nobody has to accept any weird cryptocurrency.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

eviltastic posted:

They have more than just that verse. The fries and burger wrappers have others.

Epic High Five posted:

If any of them are secret or even open fundies it's probably Culvers but tbh if I'm eating out I'm getting Indian. I don't think people are being sneeringly smug about what you acknowledge is material support for bigots and your reasoning isn't terrible relevant to anybody who cares enough to bring it up. It's not like growing up in the south means being born with a geas driving you to it as soon as the smell of its chicken hits the wind

Good for you? Why do I care if you eat Indian? More to the point tho: I dare anyone here to eat at a major fast food chain without "providing material support to bigots." Go on, I loving dare you. What an impossibly vague standard to have considering the politics of the ownership class.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 13, 2021

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

its always easier to boycott something you don't even have the option of purchasing rather than something you use every day. lmao trying to boycott amazon. since its easy for me to boycott it, then it should be similarly easy for you to boycott it, and if you do not boycott it then your motivations are suspicious and you will need to report for further questioning

Stopping something you already don't do isn't a boycott though and is pretty marginal as a political act.

Epic High Five posted:

Haven't eaten there either, I'm from the midwest where all our regional chains are either totally unknown to the rest of the country or have already driven themselves to bankruptcy through the normal and boring kind of corrupt and unethical behavior.

As always happens in this case, they changed it right back when people weren't looking. Listen to people when they tell you who they are, they're getting rich being what they are they aren't gonna change it because some libs cried to the rotten corrupt press about them

What do you make of this? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...hts/3244765001/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's from almost a year ago.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol John 3 16 is almost as inoffensive as it's possible to be for a Bible verse (insofar as it is still explicitly Christian and not a general warm and fuzzy sentiment)

gonna need a hell of a lot more than that to oppose in n out

I guess I should’ve been more explicit that I agree with this sentiment.

E:

VH4Ever posted:

They have more than just that verse. The fries and burger wrappers have others.

Huh. Guess I forgot about or didn’t spot the others. Shows what I know.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 13, 2021

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

zoux posted:

You know, I don't hate it. Better than a free refill at participating restaurants. For those under 17 they're raffling off a full ride to AN Ohio state university.

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1392597506182234118

Looks like the names are coming off the voter rolls although at least he says there'll be a website for people who aren't registered or were purged. (Anything with Republicans and voter registration I'm wary of at this point)

Not sure why this is but I'm guessing it's because there wasn't a centralized distribution throughout the whole state; when I got mine here in Columbus it was through the Central Ohio Primary Care which required them to make an entire account for me since I was using OhioHealth.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

as much as bitcoin crashing would own, here's the last month

I think the news here is more "holy poo poo bitcoin is volatile"

(that also goes for when someone posts a stock price crashing after some news, half the time the crash is indistinguishable from random variation over the past month)

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Grondoth posted:

How is it market manipulation? He's saying that bitcoin is destructive to the environment and he's not gonna take it for purchases anymore. Nobody has to accept any weird cryptocurrency.

He’s heavily invested into a rival crypto.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

zoux posted:

DeWine is one of the few Republicans who hasn't performatively poo poo all over himself as hard as possible like DeSantis has. The Ohio legislature is ripshit about it, and they had protesters outside his medical advisor's home.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Because crypto isn’t like stocks are?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Oxyclean posted:

almost like clockwork lol

My post isn't a marketing strategy dipshit, I'm just fat and like to eat. You saw through my facade though good for you! I'm a self hating gay skinny guy acting like I like chicken, loving deep cover mole.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Grondoth posted:

He's very transparently doing it to pump dogecoin for announcing it as a valid payment method. Crypto is the wild west though and I don't know there's any regulation for that bullshit.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nonsense posted:

It's going to drop a lot further than that. @jack will probably make a huge purchase to keep it afloat though, I think he's the biggest holder of it on earth.

Absolutely none of that remotely surprises me

Guess the Mars trip from Daddy Musk is canceled

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's from almost a year ago.

Yeah, do you have something newer showing they resumed those donations or picked new problematic charities?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

It's not like the law matters at Musk's level of wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Grondoth posted:

musk had previously announced tesla would accept bitcoin as payment and would buy up a significant holding of bitcoin to facilitate this, which helped spur the market to new highs

the most recent tesla quarterly report showed that tesla had sold off a large chunk of its bitcoin holding during those highs. tesla's positive profits for the first quarter of the year (which are tied into huge incentive payments to musk) relied heavily on this sale

now they are ending the payment program on what seems to be a flimsy pretext, information on the environmental impacts of bitcoin which was wildly known and reported on before they began the program

even leaving aside musk's potential holdings in rival cryptocurrencies, this seems like a classic pump and dump scheme which was done to juice quarterly profits and get musk one step closer to unlocking a new tranche of stock options