Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

If I knew anything about masonry I’d build the gently caress out of a wood-fired brick or stone oven outside. We make our own dough which is really good, and being a pizza snob myself, I always dress it up nice: olive oil on the crust, sauce, cheese, toppings, more cheese, then Parmesan on top and on outer crust before adding garlic powder, butter, and Italian seasoning on the outer crust. At least for now it goes on a pizza stone on my grill, but only when I’m using the charcoal tray. I know it’s all store-bought spices and stuff but it’s tough to find fresh herbs around here and the minute I find some and buy it, I won’t have occasion to use it and it’ll go bad.

Anyway, until I know anything about masonry or can afford to hire a dude to build it (both of which are a long ways off given how this year is going financially), guess I’ll have to stick with the above.

Has anyone done pizza in a smoker? Is there any reason to do it? Like is it even practical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

If I knew anything about masonry I’d build the gently caress out of a wood-fired brick or stone oven outside. We make our own dough which is really good, and being a pizza snob myself, I always dress it up nice: olive oil on the crust, sauce, cheese, toppings, more cheese, then Parmesan on top and on outer crust before adding garlic powder, butter, and Italian seasoning on the outer crust. At least for now it goes on a pizza stone on my grill, but only when I’m using the charcoal tray. I know it’s all store-bought spices and stuff but it’s tough to find fresh herbs around here and the minute I find some and buy it, I won’t have occasion to use it and it’ll go bad.

Anyway, until I know anything about masonry or can afford to hire a dude to build it (both of which are a long ways off given how this year is going financially), guess I’ll have to stick with the above.

Has anyone done pizza in a smoker? Is there any reason to do it? Like is it even practical?

I don’t get why you would? Pizza needs to cook fast and hot, while smokers cook low and slow. You might get some smoky flavor on the crust using a wood fired oven, but that’s going to be minimal since it’s only a 3-4 minute cook, if that. You’d get more smoke out of the toppings.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

I don’t get why you would? Pizza needs to cook fast and hot, while smokers cook low and slow. You might get some smoky flavor on the crust using a wood fired oven, but that’s going to be minimal since it’s only a 3-4 minute cook, if that. You’d get more smoke out of the toppings.

This is the kind of reply I was looking for—I’ll drop that idea lol

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Where do you live that you can’t get fresh oregano or basil?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The ooni pellet pizza ovens are good and make good pizza

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

life is killing me posted:

Not in a true smoker, but I have a 2 burner camp chef and a pizza oven that sits on top. I toss a chunk of wood in when doing my pizzas. Sucker gets up to 700+ in a minute or 3, and it is the best pizza ever. Low and slow in a smoker however really doesn't sound like it would work out.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

born on a buy you posted:

The ooni pellet pizza ovens are good and make good pizza

I think that's the one she's looking at. If it can really get up to 950 and maintain it for 30-ish minutes on pellets, might be worth a shot.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

um excuse me posted:

I don't have a pizza oven, but I am the snobbiest of pizza snobs. So much so that I refuse to make my own pizzas because they'd come out wrong without the right equipment. The right equipment is an oven that can use coal, not charcoal, to fire it and supports 700°F evenly. I'd go for a brick and mortar solution myself for the thermal mass but anything that fits the description above would work. Pellets would not meet my standards.

You are not the snobbiest of pizza snobs if you are suggesting coal and 700f. That’s some pleb NY or New England mid-level snob. The one true snobbery demands wood and 900f+.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I think that's the one she's looking at. If it can really get up to 950 and maintain it for 30-ish minutes on pellets, might be worth a shot.

I used an Ooni 2 for about a year before upgrading to a bigass wood oven. The pellet ovens absolutely can hit 900+ for long enough to make a great neo-Neapolitan. They kinda go in waves of heat though.

A chunk of pellets will drop, catch, burn for about 60 seconds before hitting the highest temp that’s perfect for like 3 minutes before cooling way down. After cooking a pizza, the floor will have cooled off a lot, and you’ll need another 2 of these cycles to get it back to ready to cook another one.

They require effort and practice to turn out good stuff, but they CAN turn out GREAT stuff. I’m probably at close to 2,000 pizzas made across my Ooni and big oven, and surprisingly one time the stars aligned perfectly, and what I consider my best pie ever and the best I have ever eaten anywhere, came out of my Ooni.

I only upgraded because I got tired of the effort, and wanted to be able to turn out perfect pies faster than one every ten minutes. And practice for maybe starting a Neapolitan pizza place.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 11, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doom Rooster posted:

I’m probably at close to 2,000 pizzas made across my Ooni and big oven

Okay you win holy poo poo. As long as you're thin crust you're good in my book :respek:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

um excuse me posted:

Okay you win holy poo poo. As long as you're thin crust you're good in my book :respek:

I don’t make midwestern Italian casseroles. :respek:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
For Pizza chat there are a couple threads here that may be of interest.

Romancing the Pizza Stone is a thread about making Pizza.

And Building a wood fired pizza over is a locked thread about a goon who made his own wood fired pizza oven.

I wanted to make my own oven but never got around to it and now I am on a low carb diet so not so much pizza eating that I can really make it worth while. Also with the pandemic there is not much need for a big oven.

Though I have thought about getting an Ooni...

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Trastion posted:

For Pizza chat there are a couple threads here that may be of interest.

Romancing the Pizza Stone is a thread about making Pizza.

And Building a wood fired pizza over is a locked thread about a goon who made his own wood fired pizza oven.

I wanted to make my own oven but never got around to it and now I am on a low carb diet so not so much pizza eating that I can really make it worth while. Also with the pandemic there is not much need for a big oven.

Though I have thought about getting an Ooni...

Got the Ooni on my wife’s radar now...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
2000 pizzas? Jesus I don’t think I’ve ever made 2000 anythings.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bob A Feet posted:

2000 pizzas? Jesus I don’t think I’ve ever made 2000 anythings.

Worked out the math and I’d estimate I’m just under 1800 actually, yeah. But that’s pizzas at home.

As a prep chef at a Chinese restaurant though, I refuse to do the math on how many eggrolls and wontons I’ve rolled/folded...

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Where do you live that you can’t get fresh oregano or basil?

I can, I guess, it’s just not feasible to have them since it would go bad before we could use it all. I mean, not go bad, but lose freshness and flavor.

We were growing basil in our garden a couple years ago and we never got to use it all, though we’d go out and pick some leaves off it when we fancied fresh basil. We also have dill that we grew once and didn’t know it was perennial so we were surprised it came back lol. We’ve never tried to grow oregano but other herbs like mint and thyme we’ve tried and failed to grow. Going to buy them fresh seems wasteful to me, idk

We have poo poo soil that badly needs amendment, even in our garden after like four years and about 100 total bags of compost mix. It’s all sandy loam and in some patches of our yard only weeds will grow so some plants just don’t like it in our yard.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have a small oregano plant that has survived two consecutive Massachusetts winters. Along with mint, thyme and sage. Nothing else seems to make it. Basil just falls over a dies randomly at any point even in the middle of summer.

The mint is practically indestructible. Just piles of the stuff. It's at the point where I am ripping out runners by the roots otherwise it will take over everything.

Pro-tip: wrap the herbs in a paper towel and put them in a freezer bag and put it in the crisper in the fridge. Lasts for a month+ easily. I'm not sure if it works better to keep the bag a little open or to seal it completely. I know that if you use a silicon bag you definitely need to keep it open though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My father in law who lives near Springfield MA brought me two huge cilantro plants last week. He pulled them because they somehow regrew after winter. I made a gallon of pico de gallo and still had about 3/4 of it. Wish I knew how to store them then, thanks for the tip.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
In both cases of plants regrowing. Those were the plants reseeding themselves. If you let them go to seed, they'll grow new plants near your original plants. Herb gardens are easily managed in pots on a patio. This also allows you to bring them in durning freezes and control what soil you start with. I suck at gardening (except for garlic), but i got a decent collection of herbs i use frequently. I have 2 rosemary bushes that ive had for about 5 years and that has saved me a pretty penny on herbs with just a 10$ investment.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah herbs are easy mode. Pots+ potting soil. I have a mint runner trying to leave one pot for the one next door and the plant is only a month or so old. I can’t drink enough mojitos to keep up with this thing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

That’s how our basil was, but overall our problem isn’t that we can’t grow them, it’s that we suck at remembering to water them. We even used topo chico bottles and stuck them in the soil so water could be slowly fed in and we would forget to fill them.

In our defense we had an infant at the time and now we have a toddler and an infant. And the toddler from infancy to now at 3 is a terrible sleeper and it’s like perpetual mom/dad brain

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

um excuse me posted:

My father in law who lives near Springfield MA brought me two huge cilantro plants last week. He pulled them because they somehow regrew after winter. I made a gallon of pico de gallo and still had about 3/4 of it. Wish I knew how to store them then, thanks for the tip.

You need to watch your Cilantro plants because if they start getting flowers you have to pluck them all off or it will seed. If that happens you will no longer have Cilantro and instead the leaves will die off and it will produce just seeds which are Coriander. Not really a bad thing but if you want to keep getting Cilantro it kinda sucks.

Granted the next year they will produce Cilantro again until they seed. It is probably why you FIL ended up with extra plants. He didn't stop them from seeding.

Chives are a good perennial to plant also. Those you can let flower because they are pretty flowers that are also great to use in salads and soups. Flowers have a little more of an oniony flavor to them.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot what I came here to post...

Last night I made some ribs and smoked sea salt with Alderwood. But I also made some bacon wrapped cheese stuffed onion ring things that I saw someone post in one of the threads. Not sure if it was this one or another because they used their oven I think and not the smoker. Most of the cheese melted out on mine but I used shredded cheddar since that is what I had on hand and I think they used block cheddar. It was still good though. Very rich.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 12, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

NomNomNom posted:

Did some ribs yesterday after getting my replacement Billows back from Thermoworks. They took care of me again, but this time I had to send them the broken unit (they paid postage).

My problem was actually with my ribs. St Louis cut, they went for 6.5 hours at 225, unwrapped, and were starting to dry out and pull away from the bones but didn't pass the bend test yet. Ornery hog? I think I'm pretty done with unwrapped ribs, wrapping seems to cook them much more consistently.

I hate to admit but my luck with ribs lately has been wavering.

As for the billows, I almost feel like I'm cheating with the thing. Fire up some charcoal, set the temp, come back after a phone call and the smoker is dead on at the temp. Haven't tried it at 225, heard it has problems going low.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

I hate to admit but my luck with ribs lately has been wavering.

As for the billows, I almost feel like I'm cheating with the thing. Fire up some charcoal, set the temp, come back after a phone call and the smoker is dead on at the temp. Haven't tried it at 225, heard it has problems going low.

I’m coming up on a year with the billows and it has never had a problem holding 225 on my WSM. Although I don’t even attempt to smoke in the winter when it’s cold. Since the WSM isn’t insulated at all.

I found it’ll hold temps better/more consistently when I switched from kingsford briquettes to lump. Anymore I’ll only use lump in my smoker, less ash and i feel like don’t need to add fuel as often when doing long smokes. I’ll still use briquettes when I’m doing chicken or steaks in my kettle though.

E: I will say by last fall I was kind of over smoking at 225 like it was the bbq gods chosen temperature. I started doing stuff at 250-275 and I didn’t notice much difference. I’m not putting out competition level bbq no matter what temp I cook at. Smoking a little hotter and not as long didn’t change the end result as far as I could tell. :shrug:

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2021

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

I’m coming up on a year with the billows and it has never had a problem holding 225 on my WSM. Although I don’t even attempt to smoke in the winter when it’s cold. Since the WSM isn’t insulated at all.

I found it’ll hold temps better/more consistently when I switched from kingsford briquettes to lump. Anymore I’ll only use lump in my smoker, less ash and i feel like don’t need to add fuel as often when doing long smokes. I’ll still use briquettes when I’m doing chicken or steaks in my kettle though.

Oooh thanks for this tip. Now that I got a Smoke Gateway and have temp charts, my WSM was pretty inconsistent during my last cook (no Billows...yet). My Costco has been more consistently stocked with giant bags of lump than the 2-packs of Kingsford so I've been curious to try it.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

Oooh thanks for this tip. Now that I got a Smoke Gateway and have temp charts, my WSM was pretty inconsistent during my last cook (no Billows...yet). My Costco has been more consistently stocked with giant bags of lump than the 2-packs of Kingsford so I've been curious to try it.

It’s definitely worth spending a few extra bucks and trying lump a few times! I also had trouble dialing in the temps on my WSM pre-billows when I was windy out. I moved my WSM under the car port so it’s sheltered by the garage and fence and that also really helped on windy days. But honestly don’t stress too much about holding a temperature. As long as you don’t like let it rip up to 350 for an hour or something.

Although I will say it’s satisfying watching my billows hold it within +\- 5 degrees for hours.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My biggest complaint about my setup (billows plus Weber kettle) is that it's really easy for ash or grease to fall into the billows. Could be the reason I've killed two of them (not that thermoworks blamed me for the failures). Tempted to try welding up a little hood for the inlet hole.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Do you guys use a Slow N Sear? I don't really understand the need for a billows. When I have the Slow N Sear in my kettle, after a little bit of setup it will hold 225 with no fiddling for 8+ hours.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I do have the SnS plus the billows. Because I'm lazy. And like charts.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dy. posted:

Do you guys use a Slow N Sear? I don't really understand the need for a billows. When I have the Slow N Sear in my kettle, after a little bit of setup it will hold 225 with no fiddling for 8+ hours.

I have a SnS too, it ends up needing a tweak on my vent a mm or so either way every 45 minutes or so but really that's only because I'm OCD about it and like to try keeping the temps in a narrow band. If I just don't worry about it it works just as fine.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I feel like my greatest barbecue achievement was just chilling out about fiddling with it all the time and realizing it doesn't really matter if it's cruising at 235 instead of 225. Just spend that Billows money on some extra beer.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Has anyone tried smoking lamb, and if so did you have any success? I have a boneless leg I was going to smoke for gyros but I'm feeling a little gun shy.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I've only smoked racks of lamb. Its a short smoke, hour and a half or so, at relatively low heat. I still seared after to get a good crust.

With a 90 minute smoke, not a ton of flavor came from it, except within the fat. I enjoyed it overall though.

Can't speak for leg.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Has anyone tried smoking lamb, and if so did you have any success? I have a boneless leg I was going to smoke for gyros but I'm feeling a little gun shy.

This guy from the last page smoked a leg of lamb

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I’ve done a boneless leg of lamb. On my kettle though. Cooked it on indirect heat until it was almost done then seared it to finish. I think I used this as a general guide

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/lamb-recipes/grill-roasted-leg-lamb-recipe/

I was happy how it turned out. I remember it not taking very long, I was glad I didn’t bother with setting up the smoker for it.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I prefer lamb shoulder with a heavy garlic marinade/sauce for doing in the smoker and taking it to a fairly high internal temp in order to pull it for a tasty pulled lamb sandwich type of meal. Other cuts are more delicate and can't handle the low/slow of smoking and are better done other ways.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We're winding down towards the end of chicken season. Get some while it's still on sale. I've made 4 so I'm pretty good.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Got a nice brisket flat to cook up this weekend in the PBC, but it's Canada AAA grade (about equivalent to USDA Choice) and I'm gonna inject it. I have some Better Than Boullion concentrate that I use for other cooking stuff, and I'm seeing that lots of guys use it as an injection at double the concentration it says to use it at. I'm thinking of just a classic S&P rub, but maybe halving the quantity of salt there due to the injection. Thoughts?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone made a ballotine of chicken and then smoked that? I've a chicken defrosting that I was gonna butterfly and smoke, but it occurred to me I could do a nice cylinder and get a fun result. I'm not sure if it would cook quicker or slower, but it could be fun to try.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Haven't smoked a chicken ballotine, but I've made a few of them in the past year and they always impress. I can only imagine that a bit of smoke would improve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Yo, I'm thinking about maybe getting a pellet smoker, does anybody have a reviewer (or site) they trust? Looking at something in the 1k range if that matters.