Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Waltzing Along posted:

Couldn't you say that about the country as a whole? Not the cesspool part. But the sex trade being a massive part of the GDP so the government just looks the other way.

How big is it... really? Being honest, I thought it was just a tiny part of Country and all those lovely Asian GeoCities Sex Websites must have been fake. There's no way in hell they could possibly be real.

Once I visited I was wrong. Very wrong. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wikipedia, (I know), says it could be up to 10 percent of Thailands GDP.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yea, but those calculations are including things like people staying at hotels and spending other money in order to be involved in that stuff. I think the contribution of these gray area travel elements is falling relative to other tourism, industry, internal business/consumerization processes. Frankly, there has been a large exodus of the kinds of expats who think themselves very important to Thailand's economic wellbeing simply for being a bogan sexpat to Cambodia and Vietnam. I feel like the kind of foreigners in Thailand has improved over even the last decade.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Things must be bad in Phuket. They've banned inviting people over to your home to drink and have threatened to deport foreigners who break the rule.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm thisclose to booking a flight. I'm sure things will be fine in 2 months, I just worry that something will blow up and it will get cancelled.

Phuket is on schedule to get to 70% vaccinated or more. So it should be fine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
4887 cases today, but 2835 of those are in prisons, so not really part of the population at large. Still not great!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Atlas Hugged posted:

4887 cases today, but 2835 of those are in prisons, so not really part of the population at large. Still not great!

Why are cases continuing to "spike?" I mean, Thailand spike. Pretty sure the US has as many cases every 3 or 4 days that Thailand has had in total. It's still not good.

I look at the cases and they had basically nothing up until December, had a brief spike, got it down again, then Song Kran and it hasn't dropped much since then. And it's been almost 2 weeks since the lock down. Is this all just the remnants of countrywide travel for new years?

Based on those stats, I feel comfortable that in 2 months things will be okay. But yeah...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm thisclose to booking a flight. I'm sure things will be fine in 2 months, I just worry that something will blow up and it will get cancelled.

On schedule..? Only 2% of the population is vaccinated so far. It might be a lot better in a few months, but the momentum isn't there yet. They haven't been able to buy enough vaccines.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Given the amount of older drunk overweight British men chasing.... or wobbling around Thailand after whatever bar girl they fancy I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it was a few points. :stonklol:

Granted, I don't mean to discourage anyone and the OP describes the whole environment quite well. Live and let live.

Waltzing Along posted:

Given what's happening in India I am still super hesitant with travel. Interestingly enough, ticket prices are still about average - $1200 round trip. My tentative goal is to spend Christmas around BKK.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 13, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fitzy Fitz posted:

On schedule..? Only 2% of the population is vaccinated so far. It might be a lot better in a few months, but the momentum isn't there yet. They haven't been able to buy enough vaccines.

Phuket is at 20% already.

E: To clarify, I'd been watching with interest for a while. The Thai govt, in the last week, announced they are going ahead with opening on July 1st. They are around 20% vaccinated and have enough doses set aside to get the island up to 70% or higher by the opening date.

Lots of news articles around about it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-07/phuket-ready-for-foreign-tourism-in-july-despite-thai-covid-wave

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 13, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ok, yeah, I had no idea they were basically sending all the shots to Phuket. That's one way of doing it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

A betting man who wager that things are closed in 2 months rather than open. Unless all you want to do is sit on a beach in Phuket and not really visit many restaurants. I just don't see it as worth it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, of course it's not worth it if everything is closed. The only reason I'm considering it is the Thai govt says everything will be open.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

the Thai govt says everything will be open.

Ha, haha.. hah...

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

The only reason I'm considering it is the Thai govt says everything will be open.

Lol.

Perhaps you aren’t aware of what happened last time they tried this:

NO REFUNDS: GOV’T DELAYS ‘SPECIAL TOURIST VISAS’ 2 DAYS BEFORE LAUNCH

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It seems wrong to me to fly all the way into BKK and not visit the city.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
It also feels a bit cynical for me to take advantage of this profit driven vaccination strategy where the government's priority is ang mohs wanting to party on the beaches rather than any same approach protecting the whole country.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My gut tells me we're where we're at because things just weren't taken seriously enough in December/January when cases returned and that was compounded by Songkran. Maybe it'll get better in a couple of weeks, but lockdown here still means people are out and mingling, just in grocery stores and offices instead of in bars. If mask use isn't consistent, then the virus will still spread.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/wongkohwei/status/1393158432010641410?s=19

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been trying to get more info on the Phuket opening and one place I looked said it is only open to people who fly into Phuket directly, internationally. This seems counterproductive because most people would be flying into BKK first.

I can see the problem with a transfer at BKK because it is a domestic flight to HKT so is a different terminal. But OTOH, if they are trying to attract tourists, this seems like something that would need to be made very clear. It would suck to fly into BKK first and then get told that you have to quarantine, anyway.

But then again, that same source said that they may create a safe zone at BKK.

Considering TAT has announced this to the world, I don't see them going back and changing things barring a catastrophe. It is still strange that even on the TAT website, there is no readily available information.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

did not expect cambodia to be leading the pack tbh

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
cambodia leading the way in vaccines, indonesia leading the way in lack of testing

https://twitter.com/tom_allard/status/1400399975020826634?s=20

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there a super up to date source of info on reopening plans for SE Asian countries? Thailand and Indonesia in particular

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a super up to date source of info on reopening plans for SE Asian countries? Thailand and Indonesia in particular

Thailand has this thing called the Phuket Sandbox. It is going to be "finalized" in the next week. It's turned into a joke, though. It's devolved into you can go to Phuket if:

You are fully vaccinated
You don't mind staying only in Phuket for 2 weeks.
You don't mind paying for 3 covid tests while you are there.
You don't mind that no business in its right mind is going to open when the Thai govt has created a situation where very few people are going to want to go.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I don't think there's any specific info about Indonesia's re-opening plans yet. A while ago they stated that they wanted to re-open Bali to travellers starting from next month and they stated this again recently, but it's still somewhat uncertain if it will actually happen. I checked Indonesian news sites for info as well and didn't really get any different info from them. This story is from a couple of days ago -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-03/indonesia-to-reopen-to-international-visitors-from-next-month/100186838

quote:

In a statement issued by Indonesia's Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy, authorities announced the nation would look to partially re-open its borders to international visitors from July.

Under the plan, destinations including Bali, Batam and Bintan would become "locomotive" regions, in what the government hopes will "kickstart tourism for the whole country — if the pandemic is handled as well as expected".

Last week, Mr Uno said the government was setting up travel corridor arrangements with seven countries in preparation for the reopening, the Jakarta Post reported.

They included Belgium, France, Russia, Singapore, the United Kingdom, the Netherland and Vietnam, whose ambassadors the minister has already met with.

“We hope that once the COVID-19 situation has become more conducive, the TCAs can be implemented within a short period of time,” he said.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Thailand has this thing called the Phuket Sandbox. It is going to be "finalized" in the next week. It's turned into a joke, though. It's devolved into you can go to Phuket if:

You are fully vaccinated
You don't mind staying only in Phuket for 2 weeks.
You don't mind paying for 3 covid tests while you are there.
You don't mind that no business in its right mind is going to open when the Thai govt has created a situation where very few people are going to want to go.

I dunno if anybody here is a diver, but there's liveaboard dive trips going on right now, from boats in Phuket so I guess that's happening somehow?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I heard the penalties for boat tours and guides letting people go out of the quarantine zone is.. uh, steep.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Bangkok is dealing with a huge outbreak that they're blaming on a couple of wealthy person nightclubs so that might slam the brakes on the whole place.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Huge? I thought it was only a couple thousand a day.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

did not expect cambodia to be leading the pack tbh

Late reply, but whether through sheer luck or not Cambodia did an insanely good job of keeping the virus under control. Of course, it just took a couple of people breaking out of quarantine in February to mess it all up :)

As someone who has been vaccinated here, the vaccinations were also surprisingly well organised.

Also, hello thread, it's been a while :)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Indonesia is currently experiencing record covid case numbers, a little over 20,000 today with a swab positive rate around 45%, and they seemingly still want to open Bali up for tourists in July.

https://en.tempo.co/read/1476137/bali-to-welcome-tourists-soon-as-covid-19-vaccination-rate-hits-70#.YNSJgAdGwkw.twitter

quote:

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Sandiaga Uno said that his office had made various preparations together with tourism and creative economy players ahead of the reopening of tourism in Bali this July. The province is ready to welcome tourists as the Covid-19 vaccination rate has reached 70 percent.

The 70 percent vaccination number is also misleading, because it seems like it's supposed to mean 70 percent of target groups, which is the elderly, government workers and health workers. In reality, only around 700,000 people out of 4+ mil on Bali have had second doses. There was also some more info in a WHO situational report I read that said they were looking at 5 day quarantine for international arrivals, and that travellers will be "encouraged" to be vaccinated before arrival. The scant details there are make it seem like a terrible idea, it's just extra terrible to be considering it in a worsening situation.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm planning on heading to Thailand next year for an extended period of time over the summer. I'd like to bring my dog, has anyone had any experience bringing their pets into Thailand? It seems pretty straight forward based on what I've seen on the Thai Consulate website but, does anyone have some tips from firsthand experience?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Not first hand, but my neighbor brought his dog from Taiwan to Thailand and he said it was his first real "adult" moment just because it was such a headache to organize. I think the biggest issue is just timing everything to be valid at the same time, but it's really just about having the right documents.

If you have a specific question I can ask him.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 5, 2021

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Heading to the beach. Our home was just a little too close to the fire from the plastic factory.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
So it sounds like Thailand might be about to go through what Indonesia is currently going through covid wise?

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Centusin posted:

So it sounds like Thailand might be about to go through what Indonesia is currently going through covid wise?

I've been in Cambodia since the whole thing began and at the start things here were way better than back in Canada. But in the last few weeks I've had to really consider heading back home just to get a vaccine. The time, cost, and hassle to do that is just infuriating though. I've got basically nothing back in Canada to go to and I'd be there for months before I'd be able to get vaccinated and return here. It's either that or move to some secluded house by myself and go into personal lockdown until vaccines are generally available. It's definitely starting to stress me out. :/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If the same thing does happen, that's loving catastrophic. I don't see Thailand re-opening later this year if things get that bad. See ya in 2023 BKK.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

a wing of BKK is currently being converted into a hospital, so..

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
lol my wife was talking about going back home to Thailand for her dad's 60th birthday next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A few months back, it honestly seemed some parts of Asia legitimately had COVID-19 under control. The more I think about it, for a Country like Thailand I hope it doesn't take more than a year to recover but I could see it happening if it gets as bad as India or Brazil.