Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

my homie dhall posted:

yeah, what I'd like to have is a proxy/VIP service that lives across multiple nodes and have traffic be able to land on any of them and get forwarded to correct service.

normally traffic for a single flow/connection will always take the same path in a network, even in ECMP environments, but this is a result of the way l3 ecmp is implemented. at every hop the 5-tuple (sport, sip, dip, dport, proto) is hashed into buckets equal to however many next hops are available to determine what the next hop should be. so if network is completely static, a given flow/connection will always wind up at the same place (because the 5-tuple doesn't change and the number of buckets are not changing at each hop along the way) and this would be easy. our network changes all the time though, which breaks this behavior because whenever it happens a bunch of flows that were previously going along one path and ending up at one endpoint are going to be reshuffled to a different path/endpoint and break the connection because the new endpoint won't know about it

This sounds like the text-book problem that consistent hashing was created to solve.

Old way, you have 4 buckets that ECMP hash into. If one bucket dies, all existing flows are re-hashed for 3 buckets, net result? <33% of your flows will end up at the same place, so almost all of your TCP sessions will need to be reestablished.
With consistent hashing (supported by Juniper and Arista, and Cisco, and Quagga/Bird/Exabgp and I'm sure others) if one bucket dies, only those flows (25%) are interrupted.

Your network team should be able to enable this feature assuming they are using enterprise gear. Yes it needs to be enabled everywhere, but I'd be surprised if it weren't already enabled by default in most places.

You will also need to run BGP on your LBs as well. And this is probably something the network team is a bit more nervous about given how touchy business can be about service outages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah chash is cool as hell

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

network engineers: ecmp the hash buckets on your bgp interface so the l3 anycast will route under all circumstances
me, an aws networking expert: how is connetcion formed. how paket get delievered

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

network engineers: ecmp the hash buckets on your bgp interface so the l3 anycast will route under all circumstances
me, an aws networking expert: how is connetcion formed. how paket get delievered

i think they have a managed service for that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Nomnom Cookie posted:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

SamDabbers posted:

What kind of service are you running on those VIPs? This is probably better accomplished at the application layer to direct traffic to different IPs rather than this "anycast TCP" at the network layer. Your network peeps are correct to :psyduck:

the motivation is not for any specific application, but for building something like ELB on-prem, so you have some pool of servers holding a bunch of VIPs fronting the backends of various teams who need load balancing. you definitely need VIPs, but it'd also be nice if a node failing over breaking all existing connections wasn't a thing, which it would be without some kind of connection state sharing. the fact that you don't need consistent hashing in the network if you solve this problem is just a bonus I guess

but given the reaction from everyone here perhaps asking for chashing + tolerating mass connection death might be a more rational way to go

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bored Online posted:

i think they have a managed service for that

“a” managed service, you are clearly not an aws networking expert. there are so, so many ways to give aws money and if you really try I’m pretty sure it’s possible to get charged a dozen times for the same packet

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

but given the reaction from everyone here perhaps asking for chashing + tolerating mass connection death might be a more rational way to go

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_distributed_computing

See #1

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
so i'm kind of out of my depth on this, but what you were talking about kinda reminded me of google's maglev system: https://storage.googleapis.com/pub-tools-public-publication-data/pdf/44824.pdf

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

cheque_some posted:

so i'm kind of out of my depth on this, but what you were talking about kinda reminded me of google's maglev system: https://storage.googleapis.com/pub-tools-public-publication-data/pdf/44824.pdf

yeah maglev is one implementation, the others that I know about are katran and glb director. I was hoping there might be a more accessible thing to play around with

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

my homie dhall posted:

yeah maglev is one implementation, the others that I know about are katran and glb director. I was hoping there might be a more accessible thing to play around with

Check out XDP/Cilium
https://cilium.io/blog/2020/06/22/cilium-18

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

maybe it’s better to just use google cloud load balancers (and having some type of hybrid direct connection to google cloud to keep the rest of your poo poo on your own metal) instead of trying to reinvent a janky clone of it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You will never accomplish your goal of having TCP connections not die when a node fails and I'm pretty sure your use case is trivially accomplished with GSLB

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i was going to jump on oVirt for an open source HCI for our next POP but apparently red hat is going to focus on openstack in future instead of this. anyone have any opinions about hypervisors and sans for me to look at? ideally open source with paid support

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

abigserve posted:

You will never accomplish your goal of having TCP connections not die when a node fails and I'm pretty sure your use case is trivially accomplished with GSLB

so which nodes are we talking about here? intermediate loadbalancers, the destination nodes, or something else? i'm hoping its obvious that without serious effort you're not migrating a tcp connect connection from destination A to destination B, but you can build a system that manages stateful l4 routing decisions that is tolerant of node loss.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

finally moved all our remaining bgp off our ancient 6500 platforms this week. the poor old dears have been screaming about the size of the bgp table for ages now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

finally moved all our remaining bgp off our ancient 6500 platforms this week. the poor old dears have been screaming about the size of the bgp table for ages now

whatdya move to

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lots of mx204s. they are great so far. much prefer working with lots of little routers instead of a few big ones tbh

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hey im routin over heah

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

im layer3 switching

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

lots of mx204s. they are great so far. much prefer working with lots of little routers instead of a few big ones tbh

juniper rules and cisco drools

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
whats the plan for dealing with v6 bgp tables? is it just we'll figure it out when we get to it?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the v6 table is much smaller currently
https://bgp.potaroo.net/v6/as2.0/index.html

check out that curve though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
aww! routers! I remember those.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

juniper rules and cisco drools

juniper has much better price/perf and price/features ratios. cisco however has the old adage "nobody was ever fired for buying a cisco" and that’s why 90% of my employer’s enterprise networking business is still cisco

juniper utterly wipes the floor with them in education and service provider though on account of the equivalent cisco boxes being four or five times the price and questionably functional. the 6800s were a mistake on the same scale as my posting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

"nobody was ever fired for buying a cisco"

haha you would at Fastly! we dont use routers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

haha you would at Fastly! we dont use routers

I applaud your networking team for freeing themselves from the shackles of conventional hardware and embracing the software defined chaos and making it work

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
at least commodity hardware doesnt just run out of room for the v4 routing tables

im looking at you brocade

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

I applaud your networking team for freeing themselves from the shackles of conventional hardware and embracing the software defined chaos and making it work

Yeah, it was a day 1 thing. our founder didn't want to gently caress with Cisco leases or purchases and all the attendant trappings so we just run all our transits and peering into Juniper switches, each cache machine gets a line to each switch, and we do all the BGP right on the boxes with bird. It lets us do some pretty wild poo poo and yeah, scales big

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

aww! routers! I remember those.

things are going to get interesting when pci 5 is available. pci 3/4 isn't fast enough yet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, it was a day 1 thing. our founder didn't want to gently caress with Cisco leases or purchases and all the attendant trappings so we just run all our transits and peering into Juniper switches, each cache machine gets a line to each switch, and we do all the BGP right on the boxes with bird. It lets us do some pretty wild poo poo and yeah, scales big

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932301

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I remember reading cloud flare was big on this too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have unifi install =D

5 aps.... hundreds of clients... wow!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

juniper has much better price/perf and price/features ratios. cisco however has the old adage "nobody was ever fired for buying a cisco" and that’s why 90% of my employer’s enterprise networking business is still cisco

juniper utterly wipes the floor with them in education and service provider though on account of the equivalent cisco boxes being four or five times the price and questionably functional. the 6800s were a mistake on the same scale as my posting

also junos is good and ios is really really bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

:gizz:

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
You should be writing your own network OS, pleb.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The 6500 was the last good platform cisco ever made, along with the tank of the closet - the 3750G

Had one of those bad boys running at Darwin in a literal workshop for 5 years, went up to replace it and found the thing covered in dust, like it was literally brown. Still worked.

The 6800 would have sunk any other company it was that bad

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

One of the edu isps here does this as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

what was so bad about the 6800? just seems like a beefier 6500?