Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mandatory lesbian posted:

whoeber wrote battle network should be talked about the same way people talk about uh...the nueromancer dude whose name i have ironically forgotten

William Gibson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Tempted to change the thread title to RPG Thread: Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool

Wasn't that the thread title already at some point

It was the title of some thread, I think

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Wasn't that the thread title already at some point

It was the title of some thread, I think

Not of this one, as far as I can tell, but it's a pro thread title so I can believe it was used somewhere. Maybe the Megaten thread?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

i like that the plot of smt nine starts out as "after the world got nuked in smt1, all of society moved to living in vr" and ends as "10 years later, all of humanity went extinct and the virtual world preserved their identities and memories as the gods of law made plans to direct the newly recreted humans into living in the real world, and you must decide whether it's better to live under our god that tells us the best way to rebuild or find a way to rebuild ourselves"

is there finally a plot summary for nine?? :eyepop: that sounds real wild!

oh yea aren't there people still around post-time skip in smt1 and by smt2? did they decide vr sucks and we don't need gods to rebuild (except the Law people)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's apparently an existing script translation for the neutral route (whatever that means for NINE), but they're probably referencing a video breakdown an SMT youtuber recently did.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagrqmJAfUM

This is the video they're talking about. It's pretty decent.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Clarste posted:

I know there's also been some backlash about the use of Wendigos as a generic fantasy monster divorced from all its original context. I assume Hindu gods receive similar complaints sometimes.
IIRC when 4 Apocalypse came out, there was some uproar about how Krishna was depicted in the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zore posted:

poo poo, MMBN practically counts as speculative fiction considering how it correctly predicted we would eventually connect everything to the internet and how terrible an idea that would be and how you could do terrorism with it.
I remember when I thought that poo poo was super unrealistic and dumb and nobody would ever be dumb enough to do that.

:negative:

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

go play Deus Ex if you don't recognize these quotes, goofus

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harrow posted:

Tempted to change the thread title to RPG Thread: Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool

Way to poo poo on Planescape Torment.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

yeah this is the vid i watched. cool vid. it's why i wanna play a non-persona smt lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah this is the vid i watched. cool vid. it's why i wanna play a non-persona smt lol

Radiou Kuzunoha or Digital Devil Saga.

I have an intense soft spot for Raidou 1 and 2 but hooo boy 1 has some rudeness with bosses at the end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
its ok i beat drakengard 1 without cheats i think i can survive all action rpg rudeness from here on out

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

raidou 1's gameplay is rough but raidou 2's is cute and features one of the better "hit an enemy's weak point for a bonus" mechanics in smt+ franchise (it also features basically every map from raidou 1, we love sustainability!)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i loved most aspects of raidou but they never seemed to give you enough money to use the compendium.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That guy's voice is kinda grating but his videos are pretty cool. I liked the IF and Devil Summoner ones too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone should try SMT1 at least, it's got one of the coolest atmospheres in an RPG, and one that you really have to play to experince.

Slowly watching you go from a relatively normal life getting coffee for your mom to watching the entire world go to poo poo and get wiped out multiple times.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Playing Nier: Automata and it's good, but I'm a bit confused. Right now I've got a light sword and a heavy sword, and the heavy sword says it has higher attack power, but the light one seems to do more damage? Like I'll press square for light attack and hit for 140, and then triangle for heavy will hit for like 50 :confused: The light one obviously can also hit a bunch of times in a row quickly, whereas the heavy one is slow as gently caress

In general it's pretty hard to work out what my strongest option is right now. I've also got a spear that I found and bare fists and everything seems to work fine, plus there's so much going on when fighting that it's hard to keep track of damage numbers

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I could be misremembering but stats are not comparable between weapon types.

Remember to upgrade the weapons you are using or they deal pitiful damage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

Playing Nier: Automata and it's good, but I'm a bit confused. Right now I've got a light sword and a heavy sword, and the heavy sword says it has higher attack power, but the light one seems to do more damage? Like I'll press square for light attack and hit for 140, and then triangle for heavy will hit for like 50 :confused: The light one obviously can also hit a bunch of times in a row quickly, whereas the heavy one is slow as gently caress

In general it's pretty hard to work out what my strongest option is right now. I've also got a spear that I found and bare fists and everything seems to work fine, plus there's so much going on when fighting that it's hard to keep track of damage numbers

Just use whatever is working for you or is fun. Nier A is not a difficult game. Later on you get even more options to later to make it even easier.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ethiser posted:

I love how one of the conceits of Battle Network is that Doctor Light deciding to work on the internet instead of making robots keeps the world from having to undergo multiple apocalypses and complete ecological disaster. Dr. Wiley even finds redemption.

So is MMBM an alternate timeline from MM/MMX? Because there's really no redemption to creating the Sigma Virus.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mmbn's premise is that dr. light decided against all of wily's robot research and developed the internet instead, and wily got really mad and decided to blow the internet up. no people end up dying in mmbn and bn6 ends with him saying "hm. you know what. maybe my desire to blow up the internet was a bad thing." and he builds the world's strongest antivirus ever

the funniest part of bn as a series is that bn4 and 5 introduce, one of wily's kids, who is even eviler than wily. and then bn6 explains that the reason wily became evil was because of The War

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope someone finds a way to dump and translate the mmbn phone games where the plot is that a guy came forward in time from the past carrying an ancient trojan that destroyed all of an ancient society, and a sheriff named sherrice also came with him from the ancient society, and now the trojan is loving up the internet, and the game eventually ends with you fighting the trojan which is literally personified as a giant electric horse, and one of the time travelers goes back in time while sherrice is stuck in the present so she just gets a desk job in the city and nobody ever mentions her existence again

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Megaman in MMBN is also Dr. Light's biological grandson who had a terminal disease as an infant and was digitized by his father and became a computer program. Years later he was given to his living twin brother as a sort of digital avatar and they're who you play as.

Battle Network has all sorts of great insane poo poo. Like high levels of radiation can make the internet real.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shoutout to how bn3 ends with mega man literally dying, like he gets stuck in an exploding computer and is unable to escape so he sacrifices himself to save lan, and the entire ending sequence implies that he might really have just died and become impossible to rescue and they don't give a clear answer even in the epilogue, and then in battle network 4 he's just back again and nobody really comments on it that deeply and they only explain how he possesses the same soul even though he was technically just pieced back together with scraps of data in new game++ postgame content in a game you need to play through three times to access it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

shoutout to how bn3 ends with mega man literally dying, like he gets stuck in an exploding computer and is unable to escape so he sacrifices himself to save lan, and the entire ending sequence implies that he might really have just died and become impossible to rescue and they don't give a clear answer even in the epilogue, and then in battle network 4 he's just back again and nobody really comments on it that deeply and they only explain how he possesses the same soul even though he was technically just pieced back together with scraps of data in new game++ postgame content in a game you need to play through three times to access it

MMBN4 was a poorly thought out game in many respects though iirc, so that parts hardly a surprise.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, MMBN3 does end pretty definitively with "Wow we managed to save Megaman! He's back!" He dies for like, all of 5 minutes before they have a scene that's like "We found this data in the remnants of Alpha" "Wait, could that be...?" and then the next scene is Lan getting Megaman back

It might be kinda asspully but he definitely does survive MMBN3

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

i hope someone finds a way to dump and translate the mmbn phone games where the plot is that a guy came forward in time from the past carrying an ancient trojan that destroyed all of an ancient society, and a sheriff named sherrice also came with him from the ancient society, and now the trojan is loving up the internet, and the game eventually ends with you fighting the trojan which is literally personified as a giant electric horse, and one of the time travelers goes back in time while sherrice is stuck in the present so she just gets a desk job in the city and nobody ever mentions her existence again

Someone seems to be working on dumping it at least

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2021/01/we-have-secured-rockman-exe-phantom-of.htm

Although this is from January and there have been no updates since.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gaius Marius posted:

Everyone should try SMT1 at least, it's got one of the coolest atmospheres in an RPG, and one that you really have to play to experince.

Slowly watching you go from a relatively normal life getting coffee for your mom to watching the entire world go to poo poo and get wiped out multiple times.

It is really amazing in the atmosphere department but goddamn is the gamplay a slog. I've tried 2-3 times to get through that game and have faded every time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
that time you go to Netopia "Ameurope" in Battle Network 2 and it's just every single British and American stereotype imaginable crammed into a single square mile plus the plane ride there

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would replay the MMBN games if they got another translation pass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all of the battle network translation issues are forgiven just for the bit in bn2 where they go

Bass: You can't possibly defeat me. Battle is my forte!
Megaman: We'll see about that! Let's rock, Lan!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

remember the minor plot point from Persona 5 where Mishima gets sick because he drinks the water in Hawaii

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

all of the battle network translation issues are forgiven just for the bit in bn2 where they go

that in particular is cute, but even as a boy emulating the games, I remember a lot of typos and grammar mistakes that would probably drive me nuts now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that in particular is cute, but even as a boy emulating the games, I remember a lot of typos and grammar mistakes that would probably drive me nuts now

the games were cranked out on like na 8 month schedule so yeah the translations absolutely kept slipping in quality consistently. 4's especially is incredibly dire. for instance, they never use the singular 'virus,' only 'viruses.' I'll teach you about viruses busting, etc. It's bizarre.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

the games were cranked out on like na 8 month schedule so yeah the translations absolutely kept slipping in quality consistently. 4's especially is incredibly dire. for instance, they never use the singular 'virus,' only 'viruses.' I'll teach you about viruses busting, etc. It's bizarre.

Ctrl-F in the Japanese script for the kanji for "Virus". Replace with "Viruses".

Done, that's a couple thousand words translated already!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that the entire villain organization of bn2 is meant to be a reference to treble, because treble's name in japan is gospel, but treble is a way lamer name for an evil villain organization and there's tons of sprites displaying their icon that would be a pain to edit so they just left it as gospel in the us release and the whole connection is lost and it's a lot more confusing why the final boss is a big robot dog

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Colonel posted:

i like that the entire villain organization of bn2 is meant to be a reference to treble, because treble's name in japan is gospel, but treble is a way lamer name for an evil villain organization and there's tons of sprites displaying their icon that would be a pain to edit so they just left it as gospel in the us release and the whole connection is lost and it's a lot more confusing why the final boss is a big robot dog

They also decided against changing Hikari to Light which feels weird considering almost every other recurring character gets their US release names.

Maybe they though the alliterative name of 'Lan Light' sucked idk

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

The line in the epilogue where Mayl says "speaking of chow, where's Chaud?" still inspires me to this day.

BN4 had some really dire translations, but 2's was legendary and I won't hear a word against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Were the swears in 2 a translation thing? Not that I have a problem with it, it's just weird that 2 is the only game in the series where the characters say drat and crap.