Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

that gif is super zoomed in, probs was never supposed to be seen alone, i'd be shocked if it didnt look completely fine with the context of the rest of the scene around it

i watched that episode yesterday and it really does look that bad. it was super noticeable

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The greatest watch ever made.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Srice posted:

pee:zero

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

I had one of those in the air force.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I had one of those in the air force.

I have one of them right now.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
crossposting to the watch thread

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

WrightOfWay posted:

it transforms into a robot, right?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Voice of Labor posted:

it transforms into a robot, right?
no, but it occasionally activates a device that creates Good Imperialists

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TenementFunster posted:

no, but it occasionally activates a device that creates Good Imperialists

I had the same watch working for the imperialists.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Raiad posted:

all isekais have to be harems now

it's, like, a law or something

Hasn't that always been the case?

The vast majority of isekai is an excessive power fantasy. With an emphasis on excessive. The self insert protagonist can't gently caress one 10000 year old dragon in the body of a 14 year old, gheyt need to have 11 dragon gfs.

You could credibly claim isekai owes much of its DNA to harem anime

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Only Isekai I can think of offhand that isn't much of one is like, Now and Then Here and There.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

a cyberpunk goose posted:

what do people like about re:zero, i genuinely do not get it. it feels like a really directionless torture fest. the main character just has a crying screaming meltdown every episode and everyone has to treat him like a baby when he's having a meltdown in the hopes that he pulls it together. it's nails on chalkboard to me

Re:Zero is one of those shows that can't be fully enjoyed removed from the context of its genre. It's sort of like the Spec Ops: the Line of isekai, in the sense that most isekai is pure escapist fantasy while re:Zero presents living in a magical isekai world as the worst possible experience you could ever have.

To me what's really interesting about re:Zero is that it's not just about Subaru being made to suffer, but that the tropes and politics of fantasy worlds are also deeply hosed up. The primary focus is of course being placed on Subaru because he's the fish out of water pov character and an audience surrogate, but everybody else has miserable lives because they live in an aristocratic society where the exploitation is cranked up to 11 due to magical bullshit. I appreciate the fact that it moves beyond Subaru's personal failures to point out that systemic oppression is going to take a lot more than a guy with a save state curse to resolve.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:45 on May 13, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I have no idea where this "re zero is actually cool" stuff is coming from because i only watched like 4 episodes or like this small girl in a weird suit that covers her mouth in some ice forest and 3 losers teotting around in the forest saving two dweebs from being eaten by tiny red-eyed rabbits and it seems just absolutely awful

And the animation is more often just stills whem they can get away with it

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 02:52 on May 13, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dreddout posted:

Hasn't that always been the case?

No.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best isekai is actually grimgar of fantasy and ash, and it's major fail that there's no second season of the anime because it's very beautiful.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

The best isekai is actually grimgar of fantasy and ash, and it's major fail that there's no second season of the anime because it's very beautiful.

Grimgar has some cringey fanservice, but what doesn't. There's definitely no other show that's done martial combat as well as Grimgar did. I guess you could argue for Virgin Witch Maria, but being "historically accurate" isn't necessarily better.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
black knight with martin lawrence is an isekai

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gulliver's Travels is isekai

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yes.

Edit: Army of Darkness is also an isekai.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 03:21 on May 13, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thor: Ragnarok?

[looks into camera]

Isekai

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

pillsburysoldier posted:

I have no idea where this "re zero is actually cool" stuff is coming from because i only watched like 4 episodes or like this small girl in a weird suit that covers her mouth in some ice forest and 3 losers teotting around in the forest saving two dweebs from being eaten by tiny red-eyed rabbits and it seems just absolutely awful

And the animation is more often just stills whem they can get away with it

you watched 4 episodes out of order from like the middle of the second season

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
this KFC cheeto sandwitch sliding down my gullet?

whispers in your ear
Isekai

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

i just want a john brown isekai

instead of the story justifying the main character owning slaves because that's just the law here or whatever, they just use those crazy powers to straight up murder the slavers

it can even actually be john brown reincarnated or something

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Finished Invincible: I think it's good. I kinda got like an MTV vibe from the whole thing. Like they originally pitched it there but it was too violent but they already shelled out for all the music licenses.

But when you get right down to it, Omniman being sent to Earth from Viltrim and being a central character just makes the whole thing Isekai. Makes you think.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

I thought invincible was pretty good, I forgive the shonky animation just because it looks like a DBZ movie in the last episode.

this is an insult to the dbz movies that are actually good

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Black Lagoon is a leftist anime. they kill just so many nazis in ep 5. i rest my case.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Casey Finnigan posted:

you watched 4 episodes out of order from like the middle of the second season

Sounds unreasonable when you it like that

But its also really bad

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

HootTheOwl posted:

Finished Invincible: I think it's good. I kinda got like an MTV vibe from the whole thing. Like they originally pitched it there but it was too violent but they already shelled out for all the music licenses.

But when you get right down to it, Omniman being sent to Earth from Viltrim and being a central character just makes the whole thing Isekai. Makes you think.

Ahh, it is Post-Isekai

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invincible just plain rocks, and they should legally require all superhero media to have enough outrageous gore that people finally get sick of it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raiad posted:

instead of the story justifying the main character owning slaves because that's just the law here or whatever, they just use those crazy powers to straight up murder the slavers

Drifters already exists.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

Black Lagoon is a leftist anime. they kill just so many nazis in ep 5. i rest my case.

it's all about how the wake of the cold war has created the space for incredibly brutal organized crime lol. there's even an actual CIA officer in it. it's pretty woke for a crime show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whenever a national intelligence agency appears in black lagoon, they are automatically the villain, no questions asked. quite a few of them appear, too!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raiad posted:

I,ve made that pitch before.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxC1vGgyoo

Bring back mecha isekais.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Re: Re:Zero, the only acceptable animu for watching hikkis suffer is Welcome to the NHK.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So has anybody ever seen Night on the Galactic Railroad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmJ3C0z3a4

I gave this a shot the other day and was completely blown away by how atmospheric and spiritual it is. It's astounding that this didn't catch on more in the West. There's heavy themes of Christian self-sacrifice that I think leftists could learn a lot from.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It really is a classic. If you like Miyazawa, also give a try to "Gauche the Cellist/Cello Hiki no Gauche" from 1982. Twas directed by Ghiblis' Isao Takahata (The Grave of the Fireflies guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmJ3C0z3a4

I gave this a shot the other day and was completely blown away by how atmospheric and spiritual it is. It's astounding that this didn't catch on more in the West. There's heavy themes of Christian self-sacrifice that I think leftists could learn a lot from.

spring and chaos is a semidocumentary about the poet who wrote the story that night on the galactic railroad is based on. it is also very good