Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for the info but that's the only console I don't have lol

Gamepass is on PC as well.

Jade Rider posted:

Quick question about the DQM2 3DS remake, is the monster recruiting more like Joker's scouting system or the GBC-style "throw meat and pray"?

I hope it's GBC style because the Joker system is really drat annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno if you got an Xbox but it just got confirmed to come out on that and Gamepass.

I played DQB 1 on ps4 and 2 on Switch and being able to play anywhere is worth the cost

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Dqm2 3ds uses the joker scout system but you can throw meat to automatically increase the scout chance percent (the crappy kind adds 10 percent and you can only use it twice before the monsters won't eat anymore etc)

I prefer the scout system because I feel like I have more control over it. But I'm also very early on maybe it gets really annoying later. So far increasing tension seems to be effective enough

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
So I’m playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 and it owns. I’m on the Khrumbl-Dun chapter which I’ve heard is kind of the low point story-wise, and yyyyeah I kind of get it. I like Babs herself but man, everyone else, though. And I was spoiled about the awful pun so I won’t even get the experience of being punched in the face by that.

I do have a question about the Island of Awakening, though. Does the amount of functional buildings you’re allowed to have increase over the course of the game? 100 seems like not actually that much given how massive the island is.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Dqm2 3ds uses the joker scout system but you can throw meat to automatically increase the scout chance percent (the crappy kind adds 10 percent and you can only use it twice before the monsters won't eat anymore etc)

I prefer the scout system because I feel like I have more control over it. But I'm also very early on maybe it gets really annoying later. So far increasing tension seems to be effective enough

Even later on it's still pretty good. You can enchant weapons with a +2x scout damage ability, and like you said psyche up + meat is a very viable way to capture most monsters.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

KingSlime posted:

Psych Up + Oomph + Sap will massively increase your chances of scouting, and if the remake is anything like the first two Joker games, all 3 will be practically required to scout any late-game monsters you want.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for the info but that's the only console I don't have lol

Gamepass is available on PC as well. It's a really good deal.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

serefin99 posted:

Psych Up + Oomph + Sap will massively increase your chances of scouting, and if the remake is anything like the first two Joker games, all 3 will be practically required to scout any late-game monsters you want.

I wish there was a way to tell your monsters with more than one turn to not burn their psyche ups, because my scouting sucks due to 2/3 of my main team having double turns or a chance at a double turn.

snohax
May 30, 2011

I remember scouting in the original Joker and it sucked. Scouting in DQM2 feels much easier from the start, and also gives you a lot more tools to stack the odds in your favor. For starters, every monster in the game can psyche up, instead of it being limited to ones with a specific trait. Traits like Hit Squad and Double Trouble now also work while scouting, as do critical hits and anything which boosts those. As someone else mentioned, there's a weapon ability that straight-up doubles your scouting damage. Meat items are a common pickup, as well as being purchasable. They give a flat bonus to the scout chance that stays even on repeated attempts, and in my experience monsters will never "take offense" (they psyche up one level and can no longer be scouted) on a turn where you feed them meat. Going through the main game, by the time I got to the end of each world I was generally able to push size 1 and 2 monsters in that world up to 100% scout chance after one or two turns of buffing.

I'm now in the final post-game area now, and with my current team I can just slam the scout button at the start of a battle and still get 20-40% against most monsters. Oomph and Sap don't quite double my odds at this point, as some of my team runs into the 999 damage cap, which apparently also applies to scouting, but with meat and a round of buffs I can still get guaranteed scouts. Once I reach the point where I can try for the size 4 monsters I'll probably have to roll the dice and/or get something with the Sublime Mist ability to let me break past the damage cap. Overall it feels like there's a good balance between being able to conveniently scout common monsters and needing to put effort into the special ones. Even as someone who played the original GBC games growing up, I'd choose this over the old limited inventory meat system any day.

As a neat throwback, monsters will occasionally do the old DWM thing of getting up after battle and asking to join you, but as far as I can tell it's purely random, so it's just a nice bonus that sometimes happens rather than something you can rely on.

Deki posted:

I wish there was a way to tell your monsters with more than one turn to not burn their psyche ups, because my scouting sucks due to 2/3 of my main team having double turns or a chance at a double turn.

I also ran into this. Most of the time I found it was enough to have my multi-turn monsters defend while the other(s) cast Oomphle once or twice and I tossed some cheap meat or Sapperine (Sap in an item for 900g, you can first buy it in Polona in the water world).

Edit: I haven't tried this myself, but I read that with 1-2 or 2 turn monsters you can teach them the Tension Giver ability (passes their current tension to all allies, Saboteur and Prince are common skills with it), set it to Often, and then manually tell them to psych up. Not sure which tactic gives them the best odds of following through on that.

snohax fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 27, 2021

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lol that gondolia's leader is named Mayor Fatguy

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh god I got utterly wrecked by a random scout going back through the Desert zone. I hope you feel good about luring a novice scout in to get curbstomped with the promise of a cool new weapon, rear end in a top hat. :argh:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One thing I haven't found yet: can weapons get past just one star?

edit: the answer is yes I got one through a street pass key

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 2, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
DQB1 question I can't find the answer to: Do you need to build everything within the "light" area? Or is that just the areas where points count? I experimented in chapter 2 by building one of the blueprints outside the light area and I was able to complete it but I didn't pay attention to whether or not it increased my town score/rank. I was able to get the town to max level regardless but I wanted to know if I should care about the "designated" area at all. I just started chapter 3 and if I can just go ham that would be nice. I hate having to give everyone tiny rear end private bedrooms just to optimize space.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it only counts in the light area, but for things like individual rooms you don't need to access afterward it is fine to stick them underground or in the air.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it only counts in the light area, but for things like individual rooms you don't need to access afterward it is fine to stick them underground or in the air.

Thanks. I finally found a random faq on reddit and you can build stuff outside the light area but it doesn't count towards your base level and more importantly the citizens will never leave the light areas so they won't use any facility or room that's outside the light.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
So I got so into Dragon Quest Builders 2 that I powered through the main story in... quite honestly not that much time at all, on account of it being such a wild ride. God drat what a fantastic game! The story was an absolute tour de force and I cannot believe they did so much wild stuff with the story of DQ2. I know the director has moved on from Square Enix now but I hope they can work with him again at some point, I’d love to see what kind of crazy poo poo they’d do with 3 if they got the chance.

One question I have about the postgame is I want to know if you can get the Malhalla crew to come live on your island! I love those guys so much, I want them to meet all my other pals and show off my sick spaceship.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ran Rannerson posted:

So I got so into Dragon Quest Builders 2 that I powered through the main story in... quite honestly not that much time at all, on account of it being such a wild ride. God drat what a fantastic game! The story was an absolute tour de force and I cannot believe they did so much wild stuff with the story of DQ2. I know the director has moved on from Square Enix now but I hope they can work with him again at some point, I’d love to see what kind of crazy poo poo they’d do with 3 if they got the chance.

One question I have about the postgame is I want to know if you can get the Malhalla crew to come live on your island! I love those guys so much, I want them to meet all my other pals and show off my sick spaceship.

Yes. Go bug brownbeard.

And Agreed, the game is way better than expected.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I've been playing the new translation of Dragon Quest Monsters 2 on the 3DS. There are so many team possibilities, I got curious. Those of you who've played it, what are your VIP monsters? I'm still working on the post-game but so far my Dragonlord with Uber Breath has been the big standout.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

my fav as a kid was a GranSlime

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

I'm only midway through the Celestial World, but so far I've had good luck with a Bewarewolf and magic-focused Dark Slime.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm currently rolling with Nokturnus and Rhapthorne II for my main team but there are a lot of beastly monsters you can put together with the rebirth system. Some monsters that helped me big along the way to the post game were Octavian Sentry, Nimzo, Metal King Slime, Dhuran, and whatever the name is of the monster that's just a swarm of bugs. I also used a lot of the two and three slot monsters I found through breeding, imo they are generally more than worth the roster space as long as you have some good skills on them.

Btw if you made it to post game it's really worth taking time to get streetpass cards and the insane keys people share on them. I've got a bunch of keys that's just "kill a super hard diamond get a whip" that would be impossible to beat for most of the game but if you just explore the key there's liquid metal slimes galore that give 1 mil exp per fight.

Also don't do what I did at post game. Use the rebirth orbs you get to rebirth the monsters you like, don't worry about wasting them on the "wrong" monster since you'll get plenty more later. You can do things like turn that swarm of bugs into a three-size monster or make your chimera get three casts a turn. Or you can turn your heart slime knight into a dedicated metal slime hunter for big exp.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 7, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i hate dq11's protagonist and that's never been clearer than in the start of act 3. what a gormless, passive little mannequin of a "character" this guy is

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Oxxidation posted:

i hate dq11's protagonist and that's never been clearer than in the start of act 3. what a gormless, passive little mannequin of a "character" this guy is

So like pretty much every other DQ protag?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
could be! i've only played 8 before this one

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah they're all pretty much blank slates you're suppose to project your own idea of their personality onto. It's gimmick level in your face.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blank slate is one thing, but this slackfaced dipshit traveled back in time again and almost got the world destroyed again, twice, because he can't do anything but stand and stare straight forward when there isn't a sword in his hand. it's doubly frustrating because he did show initiative during the jasper ambush and then waddled forward into one obvious trap after another until the bad guy finally ran out of mulligans

i'd rather have a twerp like Rex Xenoblade over someone like this

overall the game's done a very good job of scratching my "number go up" itch and the flavor writing is extremely well-done (love the mermaids' dialogue) but playing through the main story still feels like being made to eat your vegetables more often than not

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Eleven having a little cry at the start of Act 2 gave me a Feeling.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dragon Quest heroes aren't very expressive as a whole but Eleven is noticeably stonefaced compared to Eight. It's not as bad in the other games just because a silent protagonist doesn't stand out as much in a game with no voice acting. But, I mean, Link has no voice in BotW but he still emotes. It also doesn't help that Eleven is outshone by the entire rest of the party. The real kicker is that at one point you encounter a younger version of Eleven, and he talks!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
silent protagonists are bad without twists.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
between this guy and artyom from the Metro series i'm just done with silent protagonists in general unless they're exceedingly good at mime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBg6AzSmP_c

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

snohax posted:

For anyone on the fence about setting up citra or modding a 3ds (very easy to do these days, no additional hardware required) to play this, please consider the following:

https://i.imgur.com/ObEPIcI.mp4

I'm running Citra since the graphic options are normally better than just using a 3DS and it's less work but what's the deal with load screens dropping to a near total freeze? I never had that issue with Joker 3 when I played it awhile back.

e:

Oxxidation posted:

It's especially bad given that he was created with multiple characteristics from Dai (and their powers awaken in very similar scenes) who actually has a personality since being a mute protagonist in a manga would be pretty terrible.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 13, 2021

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm running Citra since the graphic options are normally better than just using a 3DS and it's less work but what's the deal with load screens dropping to a near total freeze? I never had that issue with Joker 3 when I played it awhile back.

I got the same issue with the loading when I tried Citra, I didn't even get to the Desert world before I bit the bullet and put it on my modded 3DS.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Oxxidation posted:

between this guy and artyom from the Metro series i'm just done with silent protagonists in general unless they're exceedingly good at mime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBg6AzSmP_c

I think you should check out DQV. that game has a protagonist that's put through the ringer, but manages to have his own motive for going forward. Also there's flavor text from other characters that fill in who he is as a person

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, on the scale of “gormless vapid lackwit” to “actual protagonist” Five/Madason definitely leans more towards the latter cause they went all in on party chat and your party (whenever they aren’t monsters) tend to visibly respond to stuff like him seeing the guys who tried selling his friend into slavery

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1392733713033793536

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Apparently there's going to be an official English stream for it, too

Wonder if we'll see more of the Erik Monsters game

still maintain the setup of Erik and his sister should've been a Mystery Dungeon game instead

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Apparently there's going to be an official English stream for it, too

Wonder if we'll see more of the Erik Monsters game

still maintain the setup of Erik and his sister should've been a Mystery Dungeon game instead
From the stream's English description:

quote:

For the first time in DRAGON QUEST history, the show will feature live interpretation from Japanese, so that our international fans can stay up-to-date with developments in the DRAGON QUEST series, too.
As for the stream's contents, according to the Famitsu article, the stream will be split into two parts. The first part will be about DQX updates/events and 35th anniversary merch, while the second part will be a talk-show style discussion with Yuji Hori about "a new line-up"...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Clearly this means DQX for the west

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Clearly this means DQX for the west

As much as I'd like to give it a shot, I almost want my first time playing it to be on the Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

As much as I'd like to give it a shot, I almost want my first time playing it to be on the Wii.

Honestly the Wii version is loving fascinating, from having a drat installer, to running off a flash drive to being a Crystal Tools Engine MMO on the Wii when XIV 1.0 had its entire disaster of performance issues (and it's not like the 13 trilogy ran GREAT either despite being way lesser in scope). So you're right, I'd want that too.