Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

surely that's the type of thing that's readily available at a junkyard

edit: very possibly with the same problem

It's a part that commonly fails, so they get snatched at junkyards pretty quickly. Plus, I am in a junkyard desert. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

meatpimp posted:

It's a part that commonly fails, so they get snatched at junkyards pretty quickly. Plus, I am in a junkyard desert. :(

yeah in hindsight that makes sense and I should have thought through it!

surprised there's no AM part. otherwise you can glue it but it might crack eventually instead of flexing and that would be bad, although nothing worse ought to happen than you needing to replace it at that point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd take it apart further to get a better idea of what's broken, but if replacements cost that much I'd be eyeballing some JBweld.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They sell transparent red tape at autozone.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Probably a snapped tab that goes into what looks like the socket you can just about make out. Double sided glue pad or JB weld / plastic weld and call it a day?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

4 hours later:

Can I just pretend that it's like this for a while? Because I think i'm going to pretend that it's like this for a while.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

meatpimp posted:

4 hours later:

Can I just pretend that it's like this for a while? Because I think i'm going to pretend that it's like this for a while.

Put some quick setting jb weld on it when it starts to get warm. It will flex itself in to place and hopefully stay there once it cools down.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

tater_salad posted:

That's goign to be a state specific thing. if you renew your license with a realID one in my state it resets your renewal

Krakkles posted:

This is correct, and in CA, your RealID is your driver's license - when you get it, it will extend the expiration.

Thanks all! :cheers:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Real ID deadline got extended a year fyi.

Yeah I heard that, I'm not worried about the RealID part since I have a valid passport/card but I do need to renew the license side.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 12, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
edit: all set

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 15, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Quick question, my yaris has loads of these plastic buttons or fasteners, how do I get them off in a non destructive manner. I can't seem to work out how they're supposed to work, because they are likely so old they're stuck so I can't tell if I am supposed to push something in or pull something out, or if I just gotta destroy them to remove them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not a hundred percent sure, because of all the road grime, but I think they're the same ones as the bottom left in this image.

Which means you use a tiny screwdriver to lift up the middle part, which means that the wings on the lower part can press inwards, meaning it will pop straight out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

And if you want them to come out in one piece - maybe - you need that tool in the upper right.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had incredibly poor results with trying to get any form of multi-part plastic clip out in one piece. Age and heat cycles make them brittle, and dust jams them up.

Just plan on having replacements on hand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Buy replacements before you start. You will break ar least 1/3 of them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Glad I'm not the only one that has that problem.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Fit uses similar ones. No problem to pull them out with a screwdriver but some are indeed too brittle and break regardless.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The worst ones are the ones you have to screw out a bit to be able to pop them out. The plastic always gets rounded and sucks to get out. A heated philips head screw driver is my go to method then, but man do I hate dealing with poo poo like that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Some silicone spray helps a bit but they're a PITA

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rhyno posted:

Buy replacements before you start. You will break ar least 1/3 of them.

I got maybe 2/3rds out using a knife and small crowbar. I can get by until I get new ones. Spent the morning cutting and grinding and shaping new sheet metal. Just started welding.

Also I had two types, one had a center portion you could retract (in theory) and that made it easier to pull out and reuse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Memento posted:

I'm not a hundred percent sure, because of all the road grime, but I think they're the same ones as the bottom left in this image.

Which means you use a tiny screwdriver to lift up the middle part, which means that the wings on the lower part can press inwards, meaning it will pop straight out.

Got a link for that kit? I've just been ordering specific sizes as I need them; that's the most complete one I've seen. I could particularly use all those trim pullers.

Between the Matrix, Brokeback, friend's Cruze, and two different Tacomas I'm helping keep on the road, I really need a good supply of these fuckers (and maybe start charging more than :10bux::10bux:+actual parts cost from Rockauto for a brake job/"hey while I'm in here this poo poo is loose"...). The Cruze in particular seems to hate keeping them, both front fender liners are ziptied right now. It has 3 broken clips on the driver's door card from replacing the window regulator too. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 13, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

STR posted:

Got a link for that kit? I've just been ordering specific sizes as I need them; that's the most complete one I've seen. I could particularly use all those trim pullers.

Between the Matrix, Brokeback, friend's Cruze, and two different Tacomas I'm helping keep on the road, I really need a good supply of these fuckers (and maybe start charging more than :10bux::10bux:+actual parts cost from Rockauto for a brake job/"hey while I'm in here this poo poo is loose"...). The Cruze in particular seems to hate keeping them, both front fender liners are ziptied right now. It has 3 broken clips on the driver's door card from replacing the window regulator too. :argh:

Haha yeah going over to someone's house to do a quick pad slap and getting "hey would you mind taking a look at why it's running so poo poo?" is always a fun time.

The kit I grabbed that picture from is this one:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Retainer-Plastic-Fasteners-Tailgate-Fastener/dp/B07GRJ8QSY

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

STR posted:

I got this kit last year and it's been a life saver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z83X5CD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
The seller of a 07 civic says the car shakes when it tries to go 80 for the first time in a drive. How much do you suppose it'd cost to fix a transmission problem like that?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Too little information to even know that it's a transmission problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
More than you're going to want to spend. Don't buy a car with a major problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Car shaking at speed sounds more like a wheel or brake thing to me -- there's nothing in the transmission that should suddenly change at 80 miles an hour -- but in either case if you aren't prepared to diagnose and fix it yourself, don't buy the car. It is never a good deal to buy a broken car and then pay a mechanic to repair it for you. Spend more up front to get one in perfect shape and you'll save money in the long term.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was wondering about an unbalanced wheel, but it would continue to be a bumpy ride, and not settle down, AFAIK.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Charles posted:

I was wondering about an unbalanced wheel, but it would continue to be a bumpy ride, and not settle down, AFAIK.

It depends. Rotating assembly balance/out-of-round issues can create sympathetic vibrations at certain speeds only.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Spent time on my car for nothing it feels like.

Both sides. Now I gotta weigh fixing vs scrapping. Can't fix this myself without a proper lift, which I don't got. Gonna take it to my local mechanic today and show him, he's honest and will tell me if it can be fixed and what it ought to be.

My poor old car, only 382,000km on the meter. It looked fine all the years before until this inspection when the inspector put a hammer through it, rust was spreaing beneath the surface like a cancer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Spoke to my mechanic over the phone and described the problem to him and he's pretty sure he can fix this without it being too expensive. He's worked on my car for years now (same mechanic since the 90s), and thinks I should definitely keep the car and that it has more life in it yet. So that's his opinion but on tuesday I am going there in person for an inspection.

Hope I can keep it running, really like this old beater of a car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I personally would not fix that, and I've fixed rustier cars before.

Find a less rusty one. Fly and drive to get it if you have to.

I guarantee you there are half a dozen (at least) other places the cancer is lurking and they're just as bad. At a certain point it is not worth it and you're probably going to find that point when it starts perforating in other places right after you pay the bill for attempting to fix those places, which is going to be hell because the rust definitely goes further than you think it does and is eating into spotweld seams you can't easily get it out of, which will only be found when trying to dig it out to fix the first problem or possibly when trying to weld to things that looked solid only to have it blow through because it's paper thin swiss cheese there too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I dunno, from my perspective it'd be around 500-800 euros to fix, quick price look at other yarises from the same period... 2000-4900 euros, and those cars are as old so who knows what you are buying with those. I certainly can't diagnose rust in those any better than I did with this one where we went round and hammered on things. If I can get a few more years out of it, or just one year, I'd consider it worth it to not deal with the hassle of looking for a good used car on a budget of 2000 maybe. Then I can at least save up for a year for a newer car.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno, from my perspective it'd be around 500-800 euros to fix, quick price look at other yarises from the same period... 2000-4900 euros, and those cars are as old so who knows what you are buying with those. I certainly can't diagnose rust in those any better than I did with this one where we went round and hammered on things. If I can get a few more years out of it, or just one year, I'd consider it worth it to not deal with the hassle of looking for a good used car on a budget of 2000 maybe. Then I can at least save up for a year for a newer car.

It's an understandable position, but I too think that rust is beyond what's worth repairing. It's getting pretty close to where that bushing mounts and a brace of some sort. So it's an area that's going to see lots of forces. In addition, I don't think a patch alone would do much good. An optimal repair would mean welding in a lot of new metal. You've gotten a lot of life out of the car, I understand, but I think it's time to move on.

Admittedly, your budget is going to limit your options considerably, but I'm not sure I'd advise spending 25-50% of that on what probably isn't a sufficient repair for the car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Let it go, unless you expect maybe 3-6 months out of the repair and just need to limp it along until then. That's some pretty significant structure missing there - that's normally very thick steel.

And there's a LOT more rust hiding. If you do fix it, I wouldn't take it on any road trips, definitely not above city center speeds, don't try to swerve, don't take any hard turns, etc. You'll have to drive it like you're hauling a truck full of eggs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Speaking of rust...

My West Coast eyes don't have a good sense of the Sockington scale. Not a great pic but looks like rust on the welds of the rear subframe. I wasn't able to get a good pic but I know all the suspension adjustment points are pretty rusty and partially seized, and the alignment shop had a pretty tough time. Lots of surface rust on various nuts and bolts but I don't see anything else.

So -- should I be worried about the subframe though? Car is a 1994 Mercedes C220 if it matters. I'm getting rid of it, just want to know if it's good to pass on to someone else or just get rid of it. The rest of the car is a gem and obviously not holy like above :P

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

My West Coast eyes

What rust?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Please stop taunting us East Coast people with that car. That's how cars here look after a few months.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

What rust?

OK that makes me happy. The original owner definitely cared for the car, but it was in the midwest for a while.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

OK that makes me happy. The original owner definitely cared for the car, but it was in the midwest for a while.

I get the coast to coast difference but just lol......that's factory fresh 2 weeks off the lot on rust. The rubber is looking much worse to me but not super concerning yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
poo poo man, Datsuns came off the boat with worse rust than that