Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The IDF caught 64 dead and hundreds wounded when they tried invading in 2014 because there's just no good way to do urban fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

crepeface posted:

celebrities will never stop chiming in with their dumb opinions when it would be so easy not to say anything is comforting in a way.

It's just old hat to see liberals and moralists cry over violence on both sides when they live in the world's greatest purveyor of violence.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The IDF caught 64 dead and hundreds wounded when they tried invading in 2014 because there's just no good way to do urban fighting.

Assad figured it out, tanks and all

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
does anyone have that picture/tweet that listed the death/injuries on both sides and most of israel's was "mental trauma"?

crepeface has issued a correction as of 07:29 on May 13, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

Assad figured it out, tanks and all

They had plenty of practice whereas the IDF only has practice being upgunned cops.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

crepeface posted:

doesn't anyone have that picture/tweet that listened the death/injuries on both sides and most of israel's was "mental trauma"?

wow didn't know the author of the Black Book of Communism was in charge of tracking idf casualties

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The biggest problem I'd expect for Hamas is that Israel has been a leading developer in suicide drones, and the new Nagorno-Karabakh war proved definitively that there's no good defense as of now against them, even if you're a dug in modern army. Hamas is going to have to rely on their tunnel network even more than ever before.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this might be what you were looking for crep

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

they changed the word ground invasion to ground operations. the tweet is back up and the IDF will move soon.

I'll believe it when I see it. History has shown me that only the most awful, while still banal, option will win out at the end of the day.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1392717316635471876

Here's the new tweet.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tiler Kiwi posted:

this might be what you were looking for crep

that's it, thanks!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

crepeface posted:

does anyone have that picture/tweet that listed the death/injuries on both sides and most of israel's was "mental trauma"?

Here's the talk page about how they decided to just include anxiety in the figures with no note lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:2021_Israel%E2%80%93Palestine_crisis#Israeli_casualties

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

let's come up with good operation names for the IDF

Operation Temple Defender

Operation Defensive Measure

Operation Broken Glass

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Operation Solomon's Child

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Operation Flayed Foreskin

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What does Palestine even have to resist an invasion?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

let's come up with good operation names for the IDF

Operation Temple Defender

Operation Defensive Measure

Operation Broken Glass

i think they already chose something dumb like walls of the guardians

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Don't get why they would send in ground forces when they could just indiscriminately bomb from their fighter jets.

I'm just going to take a wild guess that the world's next wartime nuclear explosion will be from Israel. Honestly the world would be a much safer place with Iran having a nuke.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Operation Peace and Understanding

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Operation Stop Hitting Yourself

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Operation Defensive Defense

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Operation Palestinian Genocide

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the airstrikes were called Operation Leavened Dead

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Protester posted:

Lmfao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

CODChimera posted:

What does Palestine even have to resist an invasion?

Same thing they had last time. Small arms, RPGs, a few ATGMs, mortars, grenades, mines. Doesn't sound like much but you can do a lot with the kind of tunnel network that they have under Gaza. The k/d ratio is obviously going to be heavily in the IDF's favor, but Israelis are also cowards because blood and soil nationalism makes them psychologically "aware" of any kind of demographic decline. So fatalities to the Israelis hurt them a lot more than it does to Palestinians, who just have to accept a higher bodycount as the weaker party in an asymmetric war. In 2014 the IDF had to withdraw because the invasion wasn't going as smoothly for them as they would've liked it to. Same thing happened during the 2006 invasion of Lebanon.

Israelis want to do whatever they want but never have to pay a price for it, and that's not a winning mindset.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Operation Israeli Hitler

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Protester posted:

That one got me good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

i think they already chose something dumb like walls of the guardians

It's literally Operation Guardian of the Walls.

You know.

Like Game of Thrones?

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You know.

Like Game of Thrones?

Operation Slam the Back Walls

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You know.

Like Game of Thrones?

liberals are already calling it a disappointment

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Same thing they had last time. Small arms, RPGs, a few ATGMs, mortars, grenades, mines. Doesn't sound like much but you can do a lot with the kind of tunnel network that they have under Gaza. The k/d ratio is obviously going to be heavily in the IDF's favor, but Israelis are also cowards because blood and soil nationalism makes them psychologically "aware" of any kind of demographic decline. So fatalities to the Israelis hurt them a lot more than it does to Palestinians, who just have to accept a higher bodycount as the weaker party in an asymmetric war. In 2014 the IDF had to withdraw because the invasion wasn't going as smoothly for them as they would've liked it to. Same thing happened during the 2006 invasion of Lebanon.

Israelis want to do whatever they want but never have to pay a price for it, and that's not a winning mindset.

They also have a reversal of the usual mentality that civilian deaths are tragic whereas troop deaths are more understandable

They absolutely freak when a soldier is killed compared to a civvy

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

paul_soccer12 posted:

Operation Stop Hitting Yourself

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

Don't get why they would send in ground forces when they could just indiscriminately bomb from their fighter jets.

I'm just going to take a wild guess that the world's next wartime nuclear explosion will be from Israel. Honestly the world would be a much safer place with Iran having a nuke.

They can't just bomb Gaza and call it a day because all of Hamas's most important assets are underground. There's also a limited amount of bunker buster bombs they can use, and no good way to know where to even drop them. So at some point if they want to declare a "victory" against Hamas, they have to send soldiers into those tunnels.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I think the Iraqi insurgency showed what you could do with a small amount weapons and a hell of a lot of conviction.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Imagining your average IDF air conditioner jockey being asked to go into a guerrilla tunnel and having a good chuckle

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

They also have a reversal of the usual mentality that civilian deaths are tragic whereas troop deaths are more understandable

I kind of get the logic here, because civilians getting killed is a "matter of course" for any war, but the IDF has built up a public image of invulnerability. So when an IDF service member gets killed it makes the prospect of conscription way less appealing.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

paul_soccer12 posted:

Their soldiers are cops and their cops are soldiers.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Operation Look What You Made Me Do

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

paul_soccer12 posted:

Imagining your average IDF air conditioner jockey being asked to go into a guerrilla tunnel and having a good chuckle

Yea there's gonna be a sharp learning curve from killing Palestinian teenagers to killing Hamas soldiers.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Operation Israeli Resolve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Also, since we're talking about 2014 and Israeli casualties - about a month ago a 26 year old veteran of 2014 self-immolated to protest the lovely state of Israel's veterans benefits program.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-vet-with-ptsd-warned-he-may-hurt-himself-before-self-immolation-report/

quote:

The IDF Veteran’s Association has said that Saidyan was frustrated over his treatment by authorities. He was recognized by the Defense Ministry as having 25 percent disability from his post-traumatic stress disorder, but had requested 50% recognition. The ministry had refused, saying at least a portion of his condition was due to childhood trauma, not his military service.

Saidyan served in the Golani Infantry Brigade during 2014’s Operation Protective Edge. He participated in the Battle of Shuja’iyya, a neighborhood in Gaza City that saw some of the fiercest clashes in the conflict.

He was interviewed about his struggle with PTSD by Channel 12 two years ago.

Recalling the deadly combat in Gaza, he said he lost seven of his brothers-in-arms within three hours of the beginning of the fighting. “And after that I spent another two and half weeks in Shuja’iyya,” he said.

So this guy saw a bunch of his comrades get iced in an operation that was supposed to be a slam dunk, and then when he tries to collect benefits from the country he nearly died for they haggle over the scale of his PTSD.