Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah most game AI is really lame and that's why I pay the money for iRacing, the PCars 2 AIs will just never feel satisfying to race against compared to real people in iRacing.

But the iRacing AIs are... pretty legit. Probably the best I've experienced so far.

Shine posted:

I like racing against decent AI (RaceRoom is good, and iRacing, funny enough, has excellent AI), but I'll take hotlapping over lovely AI (Project CARS).

I like to use the variable AI spread in iRacing. Have a range of lovely to quite good AI, so that I always have positions to battle, even if I don't win. Better than having all the AI be the same difficulty. IR also gives AI individual strengths and weaknesses even within the same difficulty, to try to make a "no two AI are exactly the same" experience. It's not perfect, but it's way the hell better than typical AI racing.

I'd do more online racing, but nowadays I'm so tired that I barely have the mental energy for simming, period, let alone for doing an actual race where I have to be mindful of not screwing things up for actual people.

Yeah same. Its cool to create a big field all the way from 40% skill up to 70% skill and then mix it up!

I usually end up with a grid where I can pretend I'm super pro and carve up to 3rd from like last, but then getting those last couple positions against the high skill AIs is super hard.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I forget about iRacing AI mostly because it was so limited on release

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They still don't cover all the tracks or all the cars, but its pretty solid. It'll be nice if/when they roll out support to the rest of the tracks though.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I really enjoy the iRacing AI. I'll run AI races during off hours when there is isn't anything populated that I'm interested in.

I created some custom rosters with friends names so the poo poo talk can be personal.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just jumped into iRacing over the weekend, exclusively in the MX-5 on Tsukuba.

First sit down did about 1.5 hours, just tweaking FFB settings and getting a feel for the car.

Last night got the quest 2 hooked up (and even with everything unoptimized and hitting the 45fps ASW) it was a WORLD of difference in both how I could drive the car and how much fun I was having.

The depth perception gained while racing in VR helped me out SO MUCH more than I thought it would. After another hour of practice with AIs, I did my first Quali+Race (also against AI). Qualified 8th, then battled throughout the 15 min sprint race for 8th, eventually coming off track in the last corner and taking 9th.

It was the most fun I've ever had racing AIs in any game, and this was just my first race. Safe to say I'll be back for much more.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
As the thread once again drifts into iRacing Chat it's probably a good time to remind everyone we farmed that out to its own thread a while ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Useful link, although to be fair iRacing is still going to come up a lot ITT if only in discussions of comparison with other games, which is what the previous convo was.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aardvark Barber posted:

I just jumped into iRacing over the weekend, exclusively in the MX-5 on Tsukuba.

First sit down did about 1.5 hours, just tweaking FFB settings and getting a feel for the car.

Last night got the quest 2 hooked up (and even with everything unoptimized and hitting the 45fps ASW) it was a WORLD of difference in both how I could drive the car and how much fun I was having.

The depth perception gained while racing in VR helped me out SO MUCH more than I thought it would. After another hour of practice with AIs, I did my first Quali+Race (also against AI). Qualified 8th, then battled throughout the 15 min sprint race for 8th, eventually coming off track in the last corner and taking 9th.

It was the most fun I've ever had racing AIs in any game, and this was just my first race. Safe to say I'll be back for much more.

Try to get into some actual racing with the mx-5, especially if you've now done a few full race distances you're well poised to hop right in. IMO the longer you put it off the more daunting the real racing will become, a sensation which it absolutely does not warrant. Everyone else is at the same level you are (in the mx5) and it's a lot more enjoyable than racing AI.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Aardvark Barber posted:

Welcome to the end game

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I wish that astigmatism played nicer with VR, and I also wish I didn't become a sweaty uncomfortable mess after wearing a VR headset for 30 minutes. It's stuck firmly in "cool novelty" because of that :(

For now though, I'll enjoy the triples I just got and call it a compromise without the inherent depth perception.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You could play with a fan pointed at you. Lots of people do. Doesn’t help the vision issue though

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You could play with a fan pointed at you. Lots of people do. Doesn’t help the vision issue though

Plus one on this, with an addition that I’ve been considering cutting a hole in the plastic case on my G2 and installing a gently caress-off-huge aluminum heat sink on the back of the display.

If I already look like a complete goober wearing it, I may as well be a not-sweating-as-much complete goober.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I can't remember which VR headset it was....either the first Vive or the first consumer version of the Rift. It had some strange design error that under certain hardware configs, a chip (IIRC soundprocessor) directly over my nose heated up so much that it would literally heat up my face so much that I couldn't use it for longer than 15 minutes. There was an unofficial fix for it that worked, no idea if it was every fixed in the official drivers.

That situation reminded me of the nice little fans you could put on top of paintball goggles to stop them from fogging, and I have no idea why no VR set to this day offers such an option. Just a small little fan on top that pulls air out.

Sure, it dries out your eyes and stuff, but the option would be nice to have, similar to the paintball thing. Flick a switch and let it run for couple of minutes, then flick it again to turn off.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I run widmovr lenses on my reverb g2 and my astigmatism is corrected just as well as with my normal glasses. Consider custom lenses! 😊

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I have a tiny Noctua fan installed in my Index headset, using the USB port it includes. Makes lengthy sessions far more comfortable.

But yeah, VR is a compromise in some respects, and there are times when I miss just using triples or a large ultrawide to not have to deal with some of VR's quirks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just got Forza Horizon 4 for giggles. Is it me or is the AI pretty terrible in regards to "fairness"? E.g. just ramming into you and poo poo, as if you're invisible.

--edit: Also wheel support leaves to be wishing. No curves for pedals and poo poo.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 13, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just got Forza Horizon 4 for giggles. Is it me or is the AI pretty terrible in regards to "fairness"? E.g. just ramming into you and poo poo, as if you're invisible.

Haven't played it, but that sounds like pretty typical AI. It's really striking how much better iRacing and RaceRoom AI are, especially iRacing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Also wheel support leaves to be wishing. No curves for pedals and poo poo.

Forza is only barely a sim racing game, Horizon straight up is not. I like Horizon and play it a good bit, but its as arcadey nonsense as they come. And part of that is the AI is a joke, yeah.

Even PCars 2 has better AI than Horizon.

Horizon's FFB is also very poo poo, yes. The cars never feel super realistic. Still, its the closest we have to an open-world game that supports wheels.

I would kill someone for a Need For Speed Underground type racer game that has iRacing's physics and AI.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

the ai is supposed to be based on other real players using AI/ML magic somehow so yeah it's supposed to behave real lovely

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Combat Pretzel posted:

For a few generations now Forza has had a system called "Drivatar" where it watches how players drive in-game and develops a profile of them, which is then used to run the AIs that you'll see your friends names on.

The problem with this is that it learns from how we drive against the AI, and pretty much everyone drives like an absolute fuckbag against the AI which results in it returning the favor which then becomes a feedback loop.

On the Motorsport games if you have enough friends who race online regularly you can actually end up with some clean Drivatar opponents, but it's effectively impossible on the Horizon side of the series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
During the campaign, races are like 3 laps long and it always starts you in the back. So you are pretty much required to drive like a complete shitlord and bash other cars out of the way in order to get to the front and win, so that trains the drivatars to drive like shitlords too. Which causes you to be more of a shitlord. It's a vicious cycle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

During the campaign, races are like 3 laps long and it always starts you in the back. So you are pretty much required to drive like a complete shitlord and bash other cars out of the way in order to get to the front and win, so that trains the drivatars to drive like shitlords too. Which causes you to be more of a shitlord. It's a vicious cycle.

Yeah that's another thing, they go with the Outrun style of gameplay rather than doing realistic racing with a qualifying lap or using fastest lap times to set the grid or something.

Its that artificial arcadey racing game type thing. "You went from 30th place to 1st in 2 laps you're the big hero!" but that's basically anathema to how real racing works.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah. All of the actual difficulty in winning races in Horizon is in getting to the front of the pack, and you have to get to the front of the pack fast because of the limited total race distance and the way you always start at the very back, so you have to drive like a maniac and muscle through every crowded turn on most of the race layouts.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do that as is with the monitors, and it didn't really help with the VR issues. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's a good one! Just unfortunately I think this one is probably not an easy solve, and I'm really happy with the triples now, so whatever. It works.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

wolrah posted:

For a few generations now Forza has had a system called "Drivatar" where it watches how players drive in-game and develops a profile of them, which is then used to run the AIs that you'll see your friends names on.

The problem with this is that it learns from how we drive against the AI, and pretty much everyone drives like an absolute fuckbag against the AI which results in it returning the favor which then becomes a feedback loop.
Is it actually AI, or is it just an average of a bunch of random player driving lines that are being played back? Considering how unfazed the AI seems to be by collisions, doesn't look like there's much actual AI driving going on.

--edit: Googled this Drivatar thing, conclusion is that it was time wasted.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 13, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it actually AI, or is it just an average of a bunch of random player driving lines that are being played back? Considering how unfazed the AI seems to be by collisions, doesn't look like there's much actual AI driving going on.

--edit: Googled this Drivatar thing, conclusion is that it was time wasted.

They claim to be using ML to create AI profiles which then race against you; but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was marketing half-truths and they are just replaying bits of recorded paths or picking between them as needed.

Course even if they are creating ML profiles, they could be simple enough that it doesn't matter, or even if they are really smart, if they're training off dumb data you'll get dumb bots.

The whole thing seems slightly misguided to me. I don't think ML is the way to make racing AIs. At least, not training on user data. Training ML on just running hot laps to get faster while being penalized for collisions would probably make way more sense.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Training ML on just running hot laps to get faster while being penalized for collisions would probably make way more sense.

You would just end up with bots that mercilessly exploit whatever weird quirks your physics engine has to get negative drag and doing physically impossible inputs and poo poo like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KillHour posted:

You would just end up with bots that mercilessly exploit whatever weird quirks your physics engine has to get negative drag and doing physically impossible inputs and poo poo like that.

Yeah fair point. So just back to "ML maybe not best idea for racing AI" or otherwise curate a set of fast but good drivers to train them on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

I would actually love to see this though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wasn’t that just the idea behind Roborace?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I would actually love to see this though.

https://youtu.be/nKJlF-olKmg

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

FH4 is certainly interesting in regards to custom mappings. I made a new one for my wheel to leave some things undefined, so that I can for instance the fourth gear of my shifter as handbrake. What does this stupid game do? Fill in things from the default mapping. I had to remap the gears to all the buttons on the wheel I don't use anyway. Also, the G27 preset has brakes and throttles switched. Quality game. :|

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

FH4 is certainly interesting in regards to custom mappings. I made a new one for my wheel to leave some things undefined, so that I can for instance the fourth gear of my shifter as handbrake. What does this stupid game do? Fill in things from the default mapping. I had to remap the gears to all the buttons on the wheel I don't use anyway. Also, the G27 preset has brakes and throttles switched. Quality game. :|

it's plenty fun just use a fuckin controller. Take it for what it is: an arcadey racing game where the wheel feels like absolute poo poo, not an elite racing simulator. It's a crash n bash AI arcade racer.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 14, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I hate controllers immensely but yeah Horizon is a controller game, go for Forza 7 if you want to use your wheel.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The G27 came out 11 years ago or something, I had a G25 for a while and could never really get mad at games no longer supporting it well. I don't get pouty when my old poo poo gets dropped, it's just the way it is I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Super interesting - thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I sold my wheel before the series made it to PC, but I played the Xbox 360 Horizon games exclusively on my Fanatec wheel and had a great time with it. It's certainly arcadey as gently caress but that just means you calibrate your expectations accordingly.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I enjoy the heck out of Forza Horizon 4, and I also enjoy the heck out of my sim racing rig. The two are not designed to go together one bit.

FM7 works fine with a wheel, and it's actually one of the things I played to help transition from arcadey-things into using a wheel, and I wish the sim racing community as a whole didn't poo-poo it so much because it actually works well in that role, but Forza Horizon is not at all like that. It's really not good with a wheel, although it can be fun to drive the 2015 WRX around and pretend it's my actual car. It's a lot of fun with a controller and don't try to make it something that it's not designed to be.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

tater_salad posted:

it's plenty fun just use a fuckin controller. Take it for what it is: an arcadey racing game where the wheel feels like absolute poo poo, not an elite racing simulator. It's a crash n bash AI arcade racer.

Yeah and for me it's honestly kind of a relief to have a couple racing games (Dirt 5 is the same way for me) where I can just be in a relaxed position with the controller. I don't always want to get out the whole wheel frame setup and lock myself into my couch.

These days I mainly use the wheel exclusively for WRC 9. Can't wait until number 10 comes out, I even tried to preorder it but they wouldn't let me because it doesn't come out for so long lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Since we're talking simcade on this page, figure I should go ahead and post some stuff that's been bugging me, as a long-time lurker of this thread who's been too cowardly to go all-in on a racing wheel and sticks to casual games.

I've been playing F1 2020 lately - I got it free from someone who didn't want it in their Humble Monthly, and I've been watching F1 so I figured it'd be fun to drive around the tracks I know. I really enjoy the time trials: even with a controller, I try to turn everything down as low as I can on the assists. I do use the driving line, but I've been thinking about turning it off and trying to use the "manual with suggested gears" mode instead to try to help me learn the corner speed without needing the line.

All of this is in time trial mode. I loving hate actually racing in this game. They made a few awful design decisions in this game:

* The practice sessions in career mode offer these cool video game-y "learn the track" missions, except they're on a loving practice session timer. There's no way to access these missions in any other mode (gently caress you if you do the shortened F2 season, by the way, hope one qualifying lap is enough for you!). You can restart a session over and over if you want, but you lose any progress in that session, which sucks.

* The AI has two modes: dumb as poo poo to the point that you can't make moves on them without them driving directly into you, or just actual F1 difficulty. Listen, I play games like Forza Horizon and DIRT: the only way I know how to pass cars is by pushing them into walls. I would love to be able to play a game where I can pass people like in a real race, and have a nail biting experience trying to overtake a few cars over time by putting in lap after lap inching closer to them. OTOH, I also am bad at driving, so I'd want a game that provides lots of assists in this regard: maybe rear view mirrors I can actually see in a useful camera mode, or something like the "radar" I've seen in videos of GT Sport. This game just has worthless directional indicators. It doesn't help that F1 has no brake lights, so I don't even know when to start slowing down when I'm racing in a pack. I eventually just gave up and did my career mode as Williams and stopped trying to set good qualifying laps so I could always start in the back and not die in turn 1.

* I don't really want to do like 25+ lap races, and would much rather just do like 10 or 15 laps and get in and out in half an hour. Unfortunately, this game - as far as I can tell, maybe I'm missing something - doesn't scale tire degradation to the length of the race, which means in a 10 lap race you never need to pit. This is an F1 game! Why the gently caress would you not have an option to have, say, shortened pit stops in a shortened race, to ensure you always get to have pit strategy matter!

I think what I'd like, coming out of all this, is a game that has "real-ish" racing that is doable on a controller, with sensible AI, and a single player mode that's built to help you master a track over time. My dream would be to have a game where I don't feel obliged to use the racing line assist, which I think is what has made me so put off by simcade games in the last decade - I think something that tells you "brake here" makes racing feel rote as hell and removes a big chunk of skill, I want to get the feeling of actually learning a track like I used to get with Gran Turismo 4 or something.

I don't actually think this game exists. GT Sport might be it, so maybe I should just dig my PS4 out of storage, but I don't know what its single player looks like. Forza 7 seems like it might be it if I can resolve whatever is causing it to crash on my PC (it's on game pass, at least, so no money lost there). Would Project Cars 2 maybe work? PC3 seemed like they were trying to make something more gamepad friendly that bridged the gap (I think it has some kind of system around that tries to gameify corner mastery, which seems like a great idea), but everyone seems to hate it.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 14, 2021