Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

You’re absolutely right; gameplay needs to evolve to match these large galaxies made now possible by more computing power. It’s just that the genre has been stuck in (and failing) improving the MOO formula. To be clear, I don’t think Stardock is the company that’ll crack this nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

he framed the letter and mounted it on his office wall.

:stonk: Good lord.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mokotow posted:

You’re absolutely right; gameplay needs to evolve to match these large galaxies made now possible by more computing power. It’s just that the genre has been stuck in (and failing) improving the MOO formula. To be clear, I don’t think Stardock is the company that’ll crack this nut.
Maybe Distant Worlds 2 will!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
On one hand, DW2 is a grog game and the UI is ever the worst part of them, on the other hand DW was heavily focused on automating stuff - so maybe!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I loved DW:U, but the game kept crashing in the late stages, presumably because it would eventually run out of memory once the galaxy got populated enough. Hopefully that won't be an issue with the second game.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The trouble with scaling up empires that these games have is that delegating something to an ai governor is always going to be worse than being human controlled, so the optimal move is not to do it. You can complain that players should embrace non-optimal play in order to maintain fun, but that just isn't how human brains like to do things. We crave that sweet sweet optimisation.

I think the best way to do things would be to have a finite number of "human" actions you can take a turn and everything after that gets ai controlled. Not only would this stop games slowing to a crawl in the late stages, but it gives a natural malus to large empires, and opens up a new dimension of decision making to players in choosing ai behaviours, and creates novel strategies for underdog players to attack a much larger player.

Kinda similar to how Starsector does fleet battles once you ignore the player ship, where you can only issue a set number of orders at a time and rely on ai captains to work around those.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 13, 2021

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Why do you have hope? One of the things that makes Master of Magic what it is is balance is a joke. The thinking's different, which means the game won't be anywhere near what you hope.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bug Squash posted:

The trouble with scaling up empires that these games have is that delegating something to an ai governor is always going to be worse than being human controlled, so the optimal move is not to do it. You can complain that players should embrace non-optimal play in order to maintain fun, but that just isn't how human brains like to do things. We crave that sweet sweet optimisation.

I would argue that this isn't necessarily true. If the game's economy is relatively simple, like the original MoO, then it's relatively easy to program an AI that can optimize the economy of a planet or planets. Give that tool to the player, and let the player optimize the empire by selecting how much production of what type they want where with some simple controls, and you have an empire building game where you get the optimization you crave (squeaking out just that little bit of extra science or ship construction), without needing to deal with fiddly planet level optimization.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Why do you have hope? One of the things that makes Master of Magic what it is is balance is a joke. The thinking's different, which means the game won't be anywhere near what you hope.

Have you played the Casters of Magic mod?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
CoM was just released as commercial product too:
https://www.slitherine.com/game/master-of-magic-classic-caster-of-magic-for-windows
I'd assume by the people making the remake.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I would actually want the opposite from a 4x space game - scale it down to just the solar system, but make it possible to act and build both on the surface and in space. Turn up the intrigue and character driven narrative ck2-style. You could control a corporation, nationstate or some other group, and you need to balance external threats and challengers from inside. Maybe make communication delay a gameplay element - so that the game tracks everything in 'absolute time', but knowledge of events propagates radially at lightspeed.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I would actually want the opposite from a 4x space game - scale it down to just the solar system, but make it possible to act and build both on the surface and in space. Turn up the intrigue and character driven narrative ck2-style. You could control a corporation, nationstate or some other group, and you need to balance external threats and challengers from inside. Maybe make communication delay a gameplay element - so that the game tracks everything in 'absolute time', but knowledge of events propagates radially at lightspeed.

That's my dream game too. Kinda like season 1 of the Expanse or Children of a Dead Earth.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm fairly sure there was a top-down game recently where you control a whole sector and it did exactly what you guys describe, thought the title eludes me.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Terra Invicta is kind of like a cross between this and X-com, and I am very excited for it

You are one of 7 secret shadowy international factions and the aliens are coming. Subvert governments, colonise space Kerbal-style, and get ready to fight aliens! Or bargain with aliens. Or welcome the aliens. Definitely fight other factions who have different approaches to aliens though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176470/Terra_Invicta/?Youtube

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
IIRC that's the game made by the guy that did the Long War mod for XCOM.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It is, yes. And Long war 2 for Xcom2

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'd say somone on the model team was a big fan of Babylon Five.

https://youtu.be/0qPGcO514Us?t=45

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Quoting myself from the OW thread as it's pretty dead:

Darkrenown posted:

I guess there's not a huge amount of interest, but the 2nd scenario, this time about the origins of Carthage is out now:
https://www.mohawkgames.com/2021/05/13/old-world-update-50/

In other news, I have been having fun using randomized bits in events for more text variety:

(the first scenario was a "raging barbarians" type survival mode)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bug Squash posted:

I think the best way to do things would be to have a finite number of "human" actions you can take a turn and everything after that gets ai controlled. Not only would this stop games slowing to a crawl in the late stages, but it gives a natural malus to large empires, and opens up a new dimension of decision making to players in choosing ai behaviours, and creates novel strategies for underdog players to attack a much larger player.

I like this. I'm imagining how this might work in Civ - something like 'the player can directly control X cities and must rely on governors in the others'? Doesn't stellaris kinda do this with sectors? I recall there a limit to how many systems you can have in your core, directly controlled sector. Been a while since I've played it though.

For unit control, Old World makes use of an Orders resource (though AI doesn't get to move units when you run out, as I understand it)

grate deceiver posted:

Maybe make communication delay a gameplay element - so that the game tracks everything in 'absolute time', but knowledge of events propagates radially at lightspeed.

I long for an RTS with a lightspeed delay :allears:

I don't think it would necessarily make a good game but I'd love to see it made as a proof of concept.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I'm honestly surprised that Stardock is still around. Between Wardell being a shitlord, all of their games being huge failures since Elemental's release, and Kael being hired and..never really doing much, I don't really know what's keeping them going. Been a long time since GalCiv2's release and they were praised for being the only strategy company with good AI.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And only because GalCiv2 was, in truth, a ridiculously shallow game that an AI could play well only because all a player can do is make their numbers bigger.

drat shame the Sins of a Solar Empire people are under their umbrella, that's a game I legit really like.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Have you played the Casters of Magic mod?

No. The instant I saw Rincewind as a portrait, it turned me right off. I mean, at least use Ridcully.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Beamed posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Stardock is still around. Between Wardell being a shitlord, all of their games being huge failures since Elemental's release, and Kael being hired and..never really doing much, I don't really know what's keeping them going. Been a long time since GalCiv2's release and they were praised for being the only strategy company with good AI.

Stardock also does non-gaming software which I assume gives them some steady revenue, though I haven't followed Stardock in like a decade+ so I couldn't say what their current lineup there is like.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like this. I'm imagining how this might work in Civ - something like 'the player can directly control X cities and must rely on governors in the others'? Doesn't stellaris kinda do this with sectors? I recall there a limit to how many systems you can have in your core, directly controlled sector. Been a while since I've played it though.

There used to be. They changed this because, surprise, it was extremely unpopular. For that matter I also recall it being a design goal of MOO3.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Bremen posted:

There used to be. They changed this because, surprise, it was extremely unpopular. For that matter I also recall it being a design goal of MOO3.

I feel its important to point out that it was extremely unpopular because it sucked

Lets be honest, Paradox AI has never been great, and putting that AI in charge of the players stuff where it can be monitored was never going to last.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't get why the AI is so terrible at governering. If anything AI should be good at optimizing output. Instead they are making GBS threads out unneeded buildings and districts, having them sit at idle and eating up maintenance, and I don't really remember in what other ways Stellaris AI are terrible because I stopped giving them anything to run when they start building the 20th mining district when the planet only has 3 pop.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The problem is that if the AI is better than the player, the player figures "why play the game" - but if the AI is worse than the player, the player gets frustrated with using it "because it's not optimal". AI control is something that people say they want, but are invariably wrong about. There's no middle ground to aim for here. The only way to do it is to change the mechanics of the game entirely to support it, which *surprise!* people won't allow either because it's not the accepted way that 4x games are played.

I think the only possible way to do it is to remove information from the player, such that they cannot find out how good/bad the AI is doing aside from some really abstracted value (e.g. "this AI guy is 66% efficient versus this other lady that is 75%"). Which, no surprise, is kind of what Crusader Kings does - and even then people get mad about demesne limits, or break the game wide open from ignoring said limits.

Beamed posted:

Kael being hired and..never really doing much

IIRC he did a bunch of work on Fallen Enchantress, basically by ripping out a ton of lovely ideas that didn't pan out. Still never came close to as good as the Fall From Heaven mod. Apparently he's a company VP now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

I don't get why the AI is so terrible at governering. If anything AI should be good at optimizing output. Instead they are making GBS threads out unneeded buildings and districts, having them sit at idle and eating up maintenance, and I don't really remember in what other ways Stellaris AI are terrible because I stopped giving them anything to run when they start building the 20th mining district when the planet only has 3 pop.

The Stellaris thing is genuinely dumb because it's a complete waste of the AI personality system that they are basically unable to follow thematic builds that can easily be made up and tailored after sitting down with a high level multiplayer group.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

orangelex44 posted:

The problem is that if the AI is better than the player, the player figures "why play the game" - but if the AI is worse than the player, the player gets frustrated with using it "because it's not optimal". AI control is something that people say they want, but are invariably wrong about. There's no middle ground to aim for here. The only way to do it is to change the mechanics of the game entirely to support it, which *surprise!* people won't allow either because it's not the accepted way that 4x games are played.

I think the only possible way to do it is to remove information from the player, such that they cannot find out how good/bad the AI is doing aside from some really abstracted value (e.g. "this AI guy is 66% efficient versus this other lady that is 75%"). Which, no surprise, is kind of what Crusader Kings does - and even then people get mad about demesne limits, or break the game wide open from ignoring said limits.

IIRC he did a bunch of work on Fallen Enchantress, basically by ripping out a ton of lovely ideas that didn't pan out. Still never came close to as good as the Fall From Heaven mod. Apparently he's a company VP now.

There is more to a 4X game then managing colonies. In fact in the end-game that is literally the more boring part. Let me the player build my bespoke home planet and let the AI optimally manage my worlds that I've tagged as "research" or "Industry" etc. As the player I want to manage my fleets, conquer planets, choose my long term research strategy. If the game mechanics support it (they probably won't) let me do some diplomacy and trading. Maybe some Espionage etc. There is a ton of room for the player to do things they find fun that an AI can't do better. As for an AI better then the player I'm not worried about that, if a perfect god-like AI is invented, then I'll play on an easier difficulty level.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I genuinely really want a CK-style space empire game. Call it not a real 4X if you want, I don't care, but IMO CK2&3 are the best map painting games precisely because they take away so much of the control from the player and force you to interact with internal factions as a matter of absolute "they'll murder me/secede from the country if I don't" necessity.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zurai posted:

I genuinely really want a CK-style space empire game. Call it not a real 4X if you want, I don't care, but IMO CK2&3 are the best map painting games precisely because they take away so much of the control from the player and force you to interact with internal factions as a matter of absolute "they'll murder me/secede from the country if I don't" necessity.

Something like the universe of Dune just before the events of the first book go down would be fabulous. Dozens of competing houses trying to accumulate planets and power, and weirdo factions trying to breed superman or corner a market. All held together with mad social science and drugs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Zurai posted:

I feel like a decent number of people thought this way about Star Dynasties recently.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

Something like the universe of Dune just before the events of the first book go down would be fabulous. Dozens of competing houses trying to accumulate planets and power, and weirdo factions trying to breed superman or corner a market. All held together with mad social science and drugs.

weren't pdox planning on doing something like Dune but ultimately decided against it? feel like i read that somewhere.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I want Stellaris where your government type actually alters the way you play.

Like a Feudal government works like CK with titles / succession and balancing relationships.

Dictatorships have to curry favor with the military / police state / ruling class and set up competing internal systems that prevent one from becoming powerful enough to pull off a coup.

Democracies have public opinion / actual elections and a campaign promise like Tropico

etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Personally I find internal strife to be nothing but a chore. "Oh no, I have to make sure this bar is above 50%, and it goes down every turn randomly, how engaging!" Better click on this guys portrait and give him 5 bear asses so that the bar goes up 10%.

Why do I care about that? How is that fun? It just doesn't seem to work when the player isn't a actually a character in the world but instead some kind of immortal omniscient being. If that guy is unhappy, I can just kill him and he'll be replaced with an identical version of the unhappy guy, but he'll be happy for the next 20 turns and I can do things that actually matter like raising armies, or moving them around, or fighting or whatever.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why do I care about that? How is that fun?

From a simulationist perspective, it's a far, far better emulation of societies than everything under your banner having perfect, unwavering loyalty and dedication to the cause of painting the map in your colors.

From a gamist perspective, it makes the things a lot more interesting. It lets you associate a name and face with something causing you problems, which makes it personal. It gives the player more things to interact with between wars. It gives context to things like corruption, piracy, and rebellions, making them into more than just "number went past 50%, suffer penalties".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
From a simulation of society perspective, I'm the omniscient immortal emperor of an empire that has hundreds of billions of citizens. Who the hell is this guy asking me for bear asses? For gaming, again I am the omniscient immortal emperor of a space faring FTL capable civilization, there is supposed to be a galaxy full of threats, if I'm still worried about some guy asking for bear asses then you are distracting me from the purpose of the game.

Basically internal strife is a crutch bad game designers, like paradox, use because their game systems don't work, their AI can't play their games and their already sandbox heavy games would have nothing happening in it's universe without random events like a huge army appearing out of thin air in the middle of the players empire, i.e. a "rebel" army. It's bad design and I find it tedious at best.

I like my games tight-knit with game systems that matter and will naturally enable opponents to attempt to win on their own and provide conflict to me, the player, that is measurable and and possible within the games mechanics.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Paradox explicitly avoids putting internal strife in their games, and refused to allow sectors to have any internal politics at all in Stellaris, because one of their designers hates the idea of internal politics. So, I think you need to work on your examples a bit - I think the idea that internal strife is a crutch for broken game systems is in fact backwards, and broken game systems avoid internal strife to cover up shortcomings in abstraction.

quote:

I like my games tight-knit with game systems that matter and will naturally enable opponents to attempt to win on their own and provide conflict to me, the player, that is measurable and and possible within the games mechanics.
EDIT to add: I think this, here, means you want to play a certain kind of game that is more like traditional 4X's and less like Paradox games - which itself isn't bad! - but not really what you're arguing for/against either. You want board games (I mean in concept) where you're only competing against other "players", AI or otherwise, not games/board games where one of the players could be an internal force, for example.

e: Fwiw, I think the actual problem you're highlighting here is correct - games like to simultaneously depict you as an omniscient god-emperor of a nation state (even before the concept existed!), but also an agent of government. And.. you can't really do both, at the same time.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 15, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Do you not watch or read any kind of sci fi/fantasy, or even real history/politics? External threats rarely mean an end to internal strife, and if it does for a time it rarely lasts. It's a very strange view to have, as is thinking that internal conflict = bad design. If you don't want it in games you play, fair enough, but those are some weird reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Do you not watch or read any kind of sci fi/fantasy, or even real history/politics? External threats rarely mean an end to internal strife, and if it does for a time it rarely lasts. It's a very strange view to have, as is thinking that internal conflict = bad design. If you don't want it in games you play, fair enough, but those are some weird reasons.

This bodes good things for Old World :unsmith: