Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Dogen posted:

Built the Stonewars Ulysses model. Man the loving gold arch pieces are a bitch to get right but the whole thing looks great when assembled. The only missing part, for a change, was the technic gears for the RTG, which I could say I forgot to order or maybe it was an issue with lego bricks being made out of plutonium 238.

e: hell, it doesn't really fit in the cargo bay. the propulsion stage will just fit if you take out the canadarm, if you get everything in there the door doesn't close completely. also there's a couple single stud connections such that just placing it in the bay cause it to fall apart, anyway. still, cool model.
Any pics of the Discovery and Ulysses MOC together?

Also, took some fancy pics of the completed Nova gasser, enjoy

gasser bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Awesome as always. I love the air compressor, lift and toolbox too.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Breaking news! The new Speed Champions wheel/tire situation mystery revealed! It's some weird poo poo!

https://www.newelementary.com/2021/05/lego-speed-champions-2021-interview.html

quote:

This is a brand new co-moulded wheel, where the tyre is built on it. So it's the exact same size as what your existing wheel is, but it's a lot more 'low profile' tyre, and therefore there’s a bigger metal wheel in the centre. So you can then see the wheels look a lot bigger than they used to in the wheel arches but it still fits the exact same wheel arch. And this [silver wheel with thin rubber tyre], obviously being a low profile, works for supercars, but the way to get it to work for old cars is by doing it in black. So the silver looks bigger, but if it’s black, it looks like the tyre is bigger and therefore the wheel in the middle looks smaller. So it's basically using element design to trick the eye visually, if that makes sense. We're very proud of this.

He goes on to explain that the wheel covers are new, too, featuring a "goblet style" connector where the connection point of the wheel wraps around the tube of another piece, allowing you to attach wheel covers, 1 x 1 round plates, 2 x 2 round tiles or dishes, or anything else with a tube on the underside. It's an extremely rarely used connection method.

More tl;dr highlights from the article:

- They have no intentions of going back to 6-wide.
- They deliberately try to use different partners (brands) and colors, when possible, from the previous year's sets for maximum variety.
- The Elva's seats are indeed prints, not stickers.
- They plan to keep doing Speed Champions polybags in mini scale.
- The success of the Audi last year has made them more comfortable and confident in picking iconic (and perhaps more niche) cars to feature.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 12, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So the wheel and tire are one piece now?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

So the wheel and tire are one piece now?
Yes, dual molded rubber + plastic - only the second time they've done that, apparently.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ulysses with Discovery- the stand is nice (but I missed a key piece)- the black axle coming off the probe is missing gears to represent fins on the RTG- the probe (topmost gold part with the black dish) detaches from the big propulsion stage and has its own little stand if you like to display it separately.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Dogen posted:

Ulysses with Discovery- the stand is nice (but I missed a key piece)- the black axle coming off the probe is missing gears to represent fins on the RTG- the probe (topmost gold part with the black dish) detaches from the big propulsion stage and has its own little stand if you like to display it separately.
Wow, yeah, that's stunning. Does its stand allow a display kind of like the Hubble's, where it can sort of be displayed as if it was emerging from the hold (even if it doesn't quite fit?)

Also, family photo time. This doesn't include any of the modded sets or modded other peoples' designs I've done, just my stuff!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Carbohydrates posted:

- They have no intentions of going back to 6-wide.

This plus the new road plates being too narrow for 8-wide... I don't get it. It's such an obvious incompatibility that it feels like two product managers being passive-aggressive at each other.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Carbohydrates posted:

Wow, yeah, that's stunning. Does its stand allow a display kind of like the Hubble's, where it can sort of be displayed as if it was emerging from the hold (even if it doesn't quite fit?)

Also, family photo time. This doesn't include any of the modded sets or modded other peoples' designs I've done, just my stuff!

Be honest - when you set up that display you spent a considerable amount of time zooming the cars around, didn't you?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

So if you flip the stand the discovery comes with upside down, and leave the … grasping claw pieces attached, there’s a perfect spot on the propulsion stage to pop it onto. Then you just pop a 2x2 tile out of the center of the cargo bay to expose some studs and attach the anti studs on the “top” of the stand to that.

The stand that it comes with is a display stand, not easily modified itself, but it connects with two clips and one could easily make another version of the cargo bay stand that uses clips instead of this slightly more hacky solution

Carbohydrates posted:

Missed this! I have four of those cars, and someone I know has one that I gave them!

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 12, 2021

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm intrigued by the dual molded wheels. It'll give some new options for rims. I was never really into the swappable rims in some speed champions sets, you get a bunch of extras that aren't good for much else.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Roadie posted:

This plus the new road plates being too narrow for 8-wide... I don't get it. It's such an obvious incompatibility that it feels like two product managers being passive-aggressive at each other.
The interviewee Christopher Stamp mentions that Speed Champions was never intended to interact with LEGO City or even appear "on a baseplate" at all. He says that people who want to integrate the newer 8-wide ones into layouts can build wider roads for them, but it's pretty clear that the Speed Champions designers very much do their thing and any interactions with other themes, including City, are unintended and incidental. I think they really underestimate how many people were integrating the 6-wide cars into City/modular/LUG layouts, honestly, but I get the point about it being a standalone display theme - I just don't personally like it, because I'm one of those guys who likes throwing 'em into City displays. 6-wide SC was already a bit oversized and really pushing it for "minifig scale" / city scale, and 8-wide is just entirely and comically too big. Suggesting building wider roads doesn't really address the core issue of the 8-wide cars being the size of houses.

Cloks posted:

Be honest - when you set up that display you spent a considerable amount of time zooming the cars around, didn't you?
no comment

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As someone who wants more detailed cars, I don't care if they fit in the city theme.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I started chipping away at my pile of shame last night.

After having a build-a-thon a couple of weeks ago, I haven't started on Discovery proper but to ease back in I did the 40468 Yellow Taxi. Current pile of shame: Discovery main build and the 1967 Ford Mustang which arrived yesterday.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

As someone who wants more detailed cars, I don't care if they fit in the city theme.
Well you're in luck! You (and many, many others) are 100% who the 8-wide speed champions cars are aimed at and that's great! I know I'm in the minority preferring 6-wide and I'm fine with that. I can make my own. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like both the 6 and 8 wides, I didn't have any modulars until recently so I never even had any impetuous to set up a "city" sort of thing.

That said, I'm a bit disappointed with the 8-wide offering this year, which is a shame because I have a real itch for some lego cars.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They need to build all group b wrc cars or I’ll deem it a failure! Where’s my S4 and 205 T16!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
But how will the change in car width affect Lego Speed Champion DLC cars in Forza Horizon 4?!

I haven't actually bought that DLC but it is just weird as hell when I'm doing normal races in that game and I have to pass some supercar that looks all chunky from a distance then I realize it's a Lego car. My immersion!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
When will they release the stately 1987 Lincoln Towncar? :mad:When?:mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d personally love a ‘95 Impala SS, but there’s no Lego equivalent for that metallic dark cherry.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Getting out of the Modular game. Anyone want this crazy amount of stuff? Located in St Louis.

:siren: SA MART THREAD :siren:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967600

Carbohydrates posted:

...followups and specific inquiries to PMs or an SA-Mart thread as to not fill up the thread with buying/selling stuff thank yooouuuuu...

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 13, 2021

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Like for EBay prices or goon price? Or somewhere in between. Cause I'd take all of it for MSRP, and at least the diner at a reasonable markup

Edit: oh aside from assembly square, we've got that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

The stones look weird

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

djfooboo posted:

Getting out of the Modular game. Anyone want this crazy amount of stuff? Located in St Louis.

Interested in Brick Bank

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nth Doctor posted:

I started chipping away at my pile of shame last night.

After having a build-a-thon a couple of weeks ago, I haven't started on Discovery proper but to ease back in I did the 40468 Yellow Taxi. Current pile of shame: Discovery main build and the 1967 Ford Mustang which arrived yesterday.

The Mustang owns. One of the best builds of the last few years imo

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would it kill Lego to say when there are multiple bags with the same number?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

New Wave Jose posted:

The stones look weird
Are they all different in-universe? I dunno poo poo bout Marvel so I don't know if them all looking different is deliberate or because LEGO didn't feel like investing in making them all out of the same elements. Also, I'm sure the base color under the gold is dark tan, but the lighting of the shot makes it look more like a smoky nougat / mocha color that I kinda love. Wish that was a thing. Reminds me of Modulex colors.

Also, I guess today was a review embargo day, so look forward to a buncha reviews flooding out. Racingbrick already did a few of the new Speed Champs cars on Youtube. Brickset did a Disney Brickheadz review and NewElementary published a Vidiyo Boombox review. Should be a whole buncha stuff to look at today onward.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

djfooboo posted:

If you’re willing to break apart the set and ship, I still need the fire brigade.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Friendly reminder that, although I'm totally fine with mentioning that you've got LEGO stuff for sale like djfooboo did, it would be nice to take followups and specific inquiries to PMs or an SA-Mart thread as to not fill up the thread with buying/selling stuff thank yooouuuuu

edit: the ideal scenario, I think, would be creating an SA-Mart thread and linking to it from this thread with a brief summary and/or photo(s) so you can still reach the maximum interested target audience with a minimum of spam for people who aren't interested. I suppose I should codify this somewhere but I haven't touched the OP in 10 years and I don't plan to do it now, dammit. Or maybe I will.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 13, 2021

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Friendly reminder that, although I'm totally fine with mentioning that you've got LEGO stuff for sale like djfooboo did, it would be nice to take followups and specific inquiries to PMs or an SA-Mart thread as to not fill up the thread with buying/selling stuff thank yooouuuuu

edit: the ideal scenario, I think, would be creating an SA-Mart thread and linking to it from this thread with a brief summary and/or photo(s) so you can still reach the maximum interested target audience with a minimum of spam for people who aren't interested. I suppose I should codify this somewhere but I haven't touched the OP in 10 years and I don't plan to do it now, dammit. Or maybe I will.

Thank you, should have made that clear in OP. Edited for posterity.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

smackfu posted:

Seriously! On the Porsche 911, I was just about to open a support case when I decided to do one final pass in the box and found Bag 5, Part 2.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Looks good. Better than the other new Marvel sets.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I still think bigfig Thanos with the stones found in different sets is the most aesthetically pleasing instance of the Infinity Gauntlet.
Also because it lived on my desk at work in the before times.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

smackfu posted:

Would it kill them to list what page each bag started at the start of the book?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego randomly slips in instruction improvements with new sets, maybe send them an email and it'll happen someday.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

so much for the lunar lander's title as "set with the most gold pieces"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Is 2021 the year LEGO figures out how to print light colors on minifigs without it looking awful???

(source)

(source) - that yellow on purple is not perfect, but the light aqua on black looks surprisingly great.

Also, lemme know what you wanna see in the OP. I think it's time to update. I plan to add the thing about for sale posts, and maybe something about cleaning up / whitening old LEGO pieces because it's a topic that comes up again and again? Feel free to link a good guide for that, 'cause I've never had to do it. And so on!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Waltzing Along posted:

Would it kill them to list what page each bag started at the start of the book?

I swear I've seen that on some of the larger sets but that might have been sets with multiple books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
This set looks decent too. The rest of the infinity wars ones kinda suck. https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0cgn6J0XS/?igshid=ldzpqlcjfdbi