Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Is there any kind of goon discord I can ask dumb questions about this game in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Saki posted:

Is there any kind of goon discord I can ask dumb questions about this game in?

Yes, link in the OP, assuming it still works. reposted here https://discord.gg/kR7Xu4j

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I see your callout and agree. If you're a beginner stuck in uranus, ask for an experts help, it's much easier to get through there with someone who knows their way around.

And when in doubt, follow the yellow pipe.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I haven't played in a long while (like Plains of Eidolon release-ish, the ships where you pilot them like, by hand and run around and MAN THE BATTLE STATIONS were an upcoming release) and was curious, how's the game doing? Are the shootboats missions any good? Do the jetpack 3D missions suck any less? Have they released any more cool roaming open-worldy stuff like Plains? I'm really hoping for some more, and more refined, Plains-style content. Would love a lot to be able to play with like 16 people in a big open map with lots of poo poo to do.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Wow!

2 new open world zones
Shootboats are cool or dumb depending on how much you like space pirate stuff
Archwing is largely irrelevant but you can use it on the shootboats if you are inclined(but not required)
Also mechs and loaning abilities from one frame to another are things too.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Magres posted:

I haven't played in a long while (like Plains of Eidolon release-ish, the ships where you pilot them like, by hand and run around and MAN THE BATTLE STATIONS were an upcoming release) and was curious, how's the game doing? Are the shootboats missions any good? Do the jetpack 3D missions suck any less? Have they released any more cool roaming open-worldy stuff like Plains? I'm really hoping for some more, and more refined, Plains-style content. Would love a lot to be able to play with like 16 people in a big open map with lots of poo poo to do.

The open world areas are cool but for some reason they are maxed at 4 players. It would be awesome if they implemented content for bigger groups (PlanetSide 2 mashed up with Warframe is my dream)

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That's kind of a neat idea, I feel like they'd need to have some form of mission with large amounts of multiple objectives all going off at once in order to give 16 players anything to do and I don't know that their ai and mission system is up to that yet. Would be cool to see open worlds expanded through something involving large parties I guess. Wouldn't have to be raids they could just be large areas that were tiered somehow with various objectives to fulfill before moving on. At the point that you have 16 frames running around you probably don't need to worry about meta and composition. At least the art and sound team are up to the task.

The idea I had after uranus talk was what if underwater levels were just regular levels but everything was slower and more weighty because water. You'd get to see the animations more smoothly and there could be bonus silly underwater effects coming off of everything. But also you could swim because gently caress it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Watching reb play and she said that there are bunch of unused sentient tiles.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

temple posted:

Watching reb play and she said that there are bunch of unused sentient tiles.

Sweet, can't wait to see them shoehorned into whatever limp-dicked "New War" disappointment they have in store.

Anyone else completely burned out on Lotus and the Sentients as a storyline? They've drawn it out so long that I really don't care about it anymore.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm still invested. The past year has been painfully slow but under the circumstances you can't really blame DE for that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given that they don't demand i pay money to keep playing the game i'm pretty content to just let them put out stuff when they're able to. i have a lot of other things to give a poo poo about in my life.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm still invested. The past year has been painfully slow but under the circumstances you can't really blame DE for that.

Instead of making tedious grindfest "events" they need to do something lasting. Have certain planets have heavy permanent Sentient presence, add Murex ship nodes to the regular starchart, and for the love of god bring Lotus' story to a close already.

COVID-19 hosed things up good, but they were able to redo the Corpus tilesets, create an Infested open world zone complete with the cast of the Brady Bunch as Zerg-infected Blue Man Group cosplayers, rebuild Railjack again despite the fact NOBODY loving LIKES IT (and fail at making people like it!), and introduce a neat but ultimately lukewarm pair of mech vehicles usable only in the tilesets you don't really want to use them in. The problem isn't pandemic-related setbacks, it's a misallocation of story elements and resources. They want to push Railjack as a feature, but even they know it's garbage since it's now just a few moments of awkwardly handled space combat bookending recycled mission types that are somehow even less interesting than their starchart counterparts. Void Storms are also a waste of time -- sure, I'll waste twenty minutes to open a single relic while getting my eyes tenderly hosed open with visual effects that make Eidolon fights look downright subtle and restrained!

Getting back to my original point, it's hard to take the Sentients seriously when the most they can muster is sending oversized Fleshlights to attack the ships of people we were already trying to kill. There was a cutscene of Sentients attacking the Plains of Eidolon, why not make the events take place there? Why not create some new Sentient boss fights? Why not have Sentient-only tilesets where we don't have to gently caress around shooting Grineer grunts and Corpus capitalists for 99.9999% of the map?

I loved Warframe, but good god the wasted potential and lack of respect devs have for our time is frustrating.

Johnny Joestar posted:

given that they don't demand i pay money to keep playing the game i'm pretty content to just let them put out stuff when they're able to. i have a lot of other things to give a poo poo about in my life.

I agree with you there, but most of the "new" content is just the same stuff the community as a whole disliked when it was originally rolled out. Yeah, we don't pay them for content patches, but that's no excuse to make purposely obtuse content when they know exactly what people want to play.

Scott may have had a vision for Railjack since the game's inception, but the current state of Warframe has shut the door on it and yet he keeps trying to ram a square peg into a round hole, and unlike fishing, Shawzin-playing, and a lot of the other weird additions, Railjack is as much of a failed experiment as Lunaro and the Conclave, only I suspect their new owners are pushing Railjack improvements to justify the time and resources they've already wasted instead of cutting their losses and going on to make the stuff people want.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 12, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Magres posted:

Shootboats is cool. The older grineer missions are much more about shooting boats while the Corpus missions are like... a brief railjack intro before you land on a big ship and spend 50-75% of the mission doing a normal on-foot level. There are also void fissures in spaaaaace now.

They didn't change archwing much but I think they improved/changed its flight controls.
However, you can now use arch-guns non-archwing situations now: you can get a Gravimag that lets you temporarily equip one on your warframe from the 2nd open world area (on Venus), and you can get a big stompy Corncob Mechasuit from the third open world (on Deimos) that wields an arch-gun permanently and does some other cool stuff. (Necramechs are only usable in open-world areas and railjack though afaik.)

They also added the helminth system, which lets you feed old warframes to your meat room in exchange for the ability to graft certain abilities onto other frames. Ever wanted to put Savage Silence on Valkyr so you can blend through rooms at even higher efficiency? Now you can.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 12, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Shootboats is cool. The older grineer missions are much more about shooting boats while the Corpus missions are like... a brief railjack intro before you land on a big ship and spend 50-75% of the mission doing a normal on-foot level. There are also void fissures in spaaaaace now.

They didn't change archwing much but I think they improved/changed its flight controls.
However, you can now use arch-guns non-archwing situations now: you can get a Gravimag that lets you temporarily equip one on your warframe from the 2nd open world area (on Venus), and you can get a big stompy Corncob Mechasuit from the third open world (on Deimos) that wields an arch-gun permanently and does some other cool stuff. (Necramechs are only usable in open-world areas and railjack though afaik.)

They also added the helminth system, which lets you feed old warframes to your meat room in exchange for the ability to graft certain abilities onto other frames. Ever wanted to put Savage Silence on Valkyr so you can blend through rooms at even higher efficiency? Now you can.

Yeah, I actually much prefer the Grineer missions and I'm kind of annoyed they took out pure Skirmish since I quite enjoy piloting and dogfighting.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Congrats Anora for playing with Reb on stream!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I REALLY HATE RAILJACK

Like, ok, but this is their big thing that presumably brings some closure to the initial storyline. You can't plug in an equation like "No Deimos + No Void Storms = New War" here.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

Scott may have had a vision for Railjack since the game's inception, but the current state of Warframe has shut the door on it and yet he keeps trying to ram a square peg into a round hole, and unlike fishing, Shawzin-playing, and a lot of the other weird additions, Railjack is as much of a failed experiment as Lunaro and the Conclave, only I suspect their new owners are pushing Railjack improvements to justify the time and resources they've already wasted instead of cutting their losses and going on to make the stuff people want.
I think RJ hasn't failed but DE has to admit some realities about it. The biggest impediment is the people they listen to. A good example is nerfing melee because shy made a video about it. Who gives a gently caress? How does melee hurt your fun? I don't use melee to clear steel path but if someone does, big loving deal! Or people who meme about making better ai. Scott shot that down but that's wrong perspective. Enemies need better abilities that are engaging instead of just turret or hide. Now, its the whole "crack multiple relics in void storms". Who made that a community want? Void storms and the like are way more problematic than the relics. The relic system is fine. Just adding +1 to it doesn't make any of that poo poo better. Warframe and RJ needs better critics.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Magres posted:

I haven't played in a long while and was curious, how's the game doing?

It's ok. After Plains of Eidolon came Fortuna, which is an open world corpus area on Venus. It was a significant improvement of the open world formula and is the overall highest point for the game imo. Since then it's been kind of drought-y. We've gotten a less than steady sting of relatively shallow content drops and minor gameplay reworks. The population has noticeably dropped outside of big updates. There is plenty of grind if you like the Warframe formula, but not a lot of momentum pushing the game in interesting directions or developing the story.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

New Wave Jose posted:

Congrats Anora for playing with Reb on stream!

mad jelly right now, not gonna lie

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I dont have any experience making games but i bet putting out what they have, probably using a lot of stuff thats been worked on off and on over the past three or four years and ended up sitting in some digital shelf, is a fair amount easier to put out than all new big story quests with brand new sentient enemy types and cinematics and voice acting and perhaps multiple new tilesets. Which isn't really what every big story quest has been ao far but it is kind of what a lot of people are asking for.

Sure there's new enemies in new rail jack but for the most part only barely, reskins with tweaked stats for the most part.

Sure there are new tiles with the most recent railjack stuff, but a lot of that is the corpus update stuff and the best looking new tiles, the ice mines, are still small and no where near as randomized or varied as all of our other typical tile sets.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I still don't understand why they're trying to shoe horn me into playing a flight sim in my stabby space ninja FPS and really really wish they would stop

Edit: I guess 3rdps or whatever

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I definitely don't envy the position DE is perpetually in. If you work behind the scenes making some big cool thing for six months then everyone screams content drought. If you take a year and a half to produce the same big cool thing but also put out little things in the meantime then people bitch about how the little things aren't big enough. The whole time you have to nonstop pump out frames and weapons and if any one of those is too good/too bad/boring then people rail on you for that.

In the end it's a business trying to get money, so calling them out for poo poo content is justified, but jesus I would never want to work there in any sort of production capacity. Just ignoring frames until a really cool idea comes along and instead focusing on improving/adding to the game itself would be universally good and I'm sure they all know that. They just can't because frames bring the money.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah, at this point I would cheerfully pay $60 for a story / singleplayer-focused Warframe expansion but by the sound of it even if they were going to do that kind of business model it would probably still be less profitable than cranking out new Primes

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
That requires a lot of up front funding which judging by their history before Warframe is something DE is not terribly good at acquiring.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
The game is free and big parts of it can be ignore. It is a grindfest if you don’t use plat, but that’s a choice.

And I never understood the mindset of talking poo poo about the game and/or the developpers. Just play one of the other milion of games out there.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Very much same. Devs are in the unenviable position of literally not being able to please everyone and it's real easy to fall into the trap of trying to do so. producing and releasing their vision is usually the only route to having a decent product and if someone doesn't like it, then so be it. Unfortunately, those that don't like it often then climb the nearest peak and scream it from the top of their lungs instead of playing something they do like.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
After like 400 hours in the game I finally rebound crouch and jump to both be on my mouse.

Bullet jumping through derelict vaults for the nightwave really wore out my hand (ctrl + space).

It's so much better holy crap. It's hard to change the muscle memory, but hitting ctrl with the pinky was just too much contortion for my hand.

Shift would have been much better but then I'd need to rebind sprint and roll and that might be too much for my smooth brain.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Remeber when Railjacks were supposed to be tied heavily into the New War?
Remember the New War?
Hey at least they kinda did the weird nemesis system thing they've been talking about for like years.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Newsman posted:

Shift would have been much better but then I'd need to rebind sprint and roll and that might be too much for my smooth brain.

Sprint is something you toggle on once every spawn/death/archwing so I stuck it on a key I can hit easily but infrequently. Roll stayed on shift, since it's something you actively want to use.

Some day Steve will find that he needs to make sprint automatic to enable some new shader he likes and then we'll finally stop having the world's most useless button.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Mailer posted:

Sprint is something you toggle on once every spawn/death/archwing so I stuck it on a key I can hit easily but infrequently. Roll stayed on shift, since it's something you actively want to use.

Some day Steve will find that he needs to make sprint automatic to enable some new shader he likes and then we'll finally stop having the world's most useless button.

I find myself getting knocked out of sprint all the time and I have no idea how.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Warframe is cool and good and DE's devs biggest flaws is that they don't have more chaotic devstreams full of adlibbed nonsense. :colbert:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
uh are the update servers hosed?

also this is nice for new players concerning Uranus:

"Changed the Uranus Junction Goal text for Find Caches to the correct amount (3 to 1)

I'm MR30 now, but I still remember a torturous 1-hour long mission on Uranus where a team of 3 low MRs was looking for the one remaining cache, slowly losing hope but not giving up."

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Warframe is cool and good and DE's devs biggest flaws is that they don't have more chaotic devstreams full of adlibbed nonsense. :colbert:

I mean what do you call the back three quarters of their roadmaps?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I think they should bring back scarlet spear so I can farm some more arcanes while DE is working on that fights in tight spaces style card game within warframe.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hazardousmouse posted:

Unfortunately, those that don't like it often then climb the nearest peak and scream it from the top of their lungs instead of playing something they do like.

but enough about half the most prolific posters in this thread

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

uh are the update servers hosed?

also this is nice for new players concerning Uranus:

"Changed the Uranus Junction Goal text for Find Caches to the correct amount (3 to 1)

I'm MR30 now, but I still remember a torturous 1-hour long mission on Uranus where a team of 3 low MRs was looking for the one remaining cache, slowly losing hope but not giving up."

Hahahahah! Oh gently caress, yeah I got real good at searching corners for those but sometimes there's one "gently caress you" cache I cant find and just extract and try again. Some of those lockers can be in absurd places that even the farthest reaching lootmap won't see

Good for the new players, they need a gimme win like that

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've helped half a dozen new players through the uranus triple cache search, and even on missions where i had to backtrack through the entire mission to find one of the rarer underwater caches it usually didn't break 15-20 minutes. It was doable with a loot radar limbo and a pair of headphones, but pretty rude if youre a lonely lost single digit mr who can still barely make it to the end of that tileset.

But it being an outdated description straight up lying to the players is extremely warframe :allears:

Sighence posted:

I mean what do you call the back three quarters of their roadmaps?
Heavily delayed and almost forgotten nonsense. :colbert:

Look, i'll remember the pet rework and modular archwings even if DE doesnt, and half a dozen other wonderful pipedreams, but that won't stop me from enjoying the silly amount of goofy toys we actually got.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm glad as gently caress modular AW got left in the loving bin

Did they hype mechs much before their release? I feel like they kinda came out of nowhere

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

After approximately 69420 hours of warframe I still don't know what the caches are supposed to sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

genericnick posted:

After approximately 69420 hours of warframe I still don't know what the caches are supposed to sound like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I80AQq6tIA

this is also what rare crates sound like