Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Drunkboxer posted:

I kinda wanted to watch the Joker because of the zeitgeist or whatever but I just can’t muster the interest to see anything with Batman or Batman junk in it anymore. I think I’ll probably die without seeing another Batman movie.

Joker is a soft recommend. It's shot, acted, designed and scored exceptionally well. It's just written incredibly poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Joker plays like it was written by a guy who just discovered that mental illness is a thing and is like "woah, have you guys heard about this?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Joker was worth it for Phoenix's performance but I'm kicking myself for seeing it before one of the Scorsese films it apparently liberally borrows from.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I think Joker was worth it for Phoenix's performance but I'm kicking myself for seeing it before one of the Scorsese films it apparently liberally borrows from.

The King Of Comedy is great and you can definitely make the argument that it's a horror movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The King Of Comedy is great and you can definitely make the argument that it's a horror movie.

That was the other thing, I really like The King of Comedy and don’t really want to see some goofy joker version of it

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Joker plays like it was written by a guy who just discovered that mental illness is a thing and is like "woah, have you guys heard about this?"

haha that's a good description but I enjoyed it anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

King of Comedy of one of Scorsese's best and that's saying a lot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

STAC Goat posted:

Gotta save those early Scorcese flicks for the summer when its really hot and muggy so you get that 70's/80's sweat texture in life and in the movies.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dorium posted:

Gotta save those early Scorcese flicks for the summer when its really hot and muggy so you get that 70's/80's sweat texture in life and in the movies.

Cape Fear is one of the wettest, dampest movies ever made even before it gets to the houseboat

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen Joker and I'm sure hoping it's The Last Temptation of Christ.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Cape Fear remake is just as good as the original. It straddles the line of horror and thriller though. I dunno if I'd call it a outright horror movie , but its definitely a thriller.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The Cape Fear remake is just as good as the original. It straddles the line of horror and thriller though. I dunno if I'd call it a outright horror movie , but its definitely a thriller.

i agree, i wish de Niro did out-and-out psychotic antagonists more

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Black Tower (1987) is a really creepy low-budget short films that manages to build a seriously oppressive atmosphere with just narration and a few brief snippets of footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw6exAfUWMI

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

alf_pogs posted:

i agree, i wish de Niro did out-and-out psychotic antagonists more

Yea its a real shame he didnt play more straight nutcases. He doesnt seem like he wants to really act much anymore if he isnt being de-aged poorly. I would want him to play the grandpa in a TCM re-re-remake or something :lol:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

Did you see The First Purge? Because I mostly agree with you about the series overall but First Purge was a legit good movie that was really a pleasant surprise.

The First Purge is a really good retread of The Raid and Dredd. I'll keep watching that same general concept as long as they keep remaking it. (Yes to be fair, The First Purge doesn't really rip off The Raid until the last like 30 minutes)

I never saw the first because I heard it sucked, but the second was "okay", the third was sub-mediocre and The First Purge was really good. Those are my thoughts on the Purge series :shrug:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Right, it was a good movie and audiences liked it. The weird moral panic over it started before it was released. Vogue published an article about why they refused to review it. It got negative reviews from the NYT, The Atlantic, and other outlets for high-status idiots.
Yeah, but the point is that a film that won an Academy Award, for the most part was well liked by critics, and was buoyed by its performance in Venice isn't really an example of how critics won't go up to bat for a Leftist movie. Especially when movies that have far more aggressively Leftist messages like Sorry to Bother You or the aforementioned Parasite and by directors who don't throw the "Far Left" under the bus are pretty universally beloved by critics.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 13, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The final Purge movie has a trailer now . I've watched all the other Purge movies so I'll definitely watch this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wVsmgDkjI

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah I wouldn't classify Joker as a leftist film, nor particularly great, (nor a horror film either though that wasn't the debate) . I guess I just fundamentally disagree and am unconvinced with the "critics hate leftist films" line based on the evidence provided.

More importantly though I watched Hellraiser: Revelations yesterday and oh dear me. Almost certainly the nadir so far, just an incredibly brazen on-screen scam in order to keep the rights. One more Hellraiser to go.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I wouldn't say that critics as a rule hate leftist films but they absolutely as a rule will be willing to criticize leftist messaging far more harshly than they do the right wing psychopathy gleefully on display in much of the rest of hollywood.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Reminder that as of today Saint Maud is available for streaming on Hulu and Amazon Prime

dorium posted:

There's only one bad purge movie and that's the first one. the rest are great

:agreed:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think the first one isn't a bad story to tell per se. It'd be a passable middle entry in the series or a decent episode of the TV show but as a first entry it was not the right story to tell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But it was the cheapest. I don’t like it but I appreciate it because it was basically a test run so that they could do the bigger and better ones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drunkboxer posted:

I kinda wanted to watch the Joker because of the zeitgeist or whatever but I just can’t muster the interest to see anything with Batman or Batman junk in it anymore. I think I’ll probably die without seeing another Batman movie.

I'm very tired of each Batman being more dark and "realistic" than the last. I'm waiting for when we swing back to Batman 66 before I see another Batman thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

But it was the cheapest. I don’t like it but I appreciate it because it was basically a test run so that they could do the bigger and better ones.

That's fair. I don't think you'd need a huge budget to do something that wasn't a bottle story though. For a concept that's so big and far reaching that's prob not where I would've started.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lurdiak posted:

I'm very tired of each Batman being more dark and "realistic" than the last. I'm waiting for when we swing back to Batman 66 before I see another Batman thing.

Lego Batman

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

dorium posted:

Lego Batman

Yeah that and Batman: The Brave and the Bold were real fun.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Dee Snider's Strangeland (1998) sure is something else. Mediocre film-making, 1990's aesthetic, protracted scenes on internet chatrooms and a nu-metal soundtrack. It all combines to make something.... kinda, fun?

It has a weird part in the middle not a lot of slashers do (if you thought the first sight of Bizarre Magazine version Snider was scary wait until you see the second...) and then Robert Englund shows up in his pants.

This is why I prefer Amazon Prime's cheap weird VHS store approach to Netflix.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A horror hill I will die on is that The Purge neeeded/needs to be an anthology film. That the show only scratched that is baffling.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Reminder that as of today Saint Maud is available for streaming on Hulu and Amazon Prime

:agreed:

Finally, been waiting on this for a while.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RobbZombae posted:

This is why I prefer Amazon Prime's cheap weird VHS store approach to Netflix.
"Watch trash on Amazon Prime" has been my weekly online hangout with my best friend during the pandemic. Since I had to wait an hour in line for gas yesterday, we're keeping it up even though we're both vaccinated...

Anyway, everybody watch Robot Jox.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Saint Maud was a good time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Right, it was a good movie and audiences liked it. The weird moral panic over it started before it was released. Vogue published an article about why they refused to review it. It got negative reviews from the NYT, The Atlantic, and other outlets for high-status idiots.

There's an Alamo Drafthouse in a shopping area that I cut past the lobby of to go to other places there and they had security people checking everyone's backpacks on the day of the premiere.

That one cop who kept saying the guy that shot up that Dark Knight screening claimed to be the Joker over and over again did a lot of damage.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

"Watch trash on Amazon Prime" has been my weekly online hangout with my best friend during the pandemic. Since I had to wait an hour in line for gas yesterday, we're keeping it up even though we're both vaccinated...

Anyway, everybody watch Robot Jox.

Robot Jox does not fit into your stated purpose for these hangouts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Robot Jox is absolutely trash. It is not garbage, which is very different. For example, The Bronx Executioner is garbage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Robot Jox is cool and good and your friend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The trash aspects of Robot Jox have aged like a fine wine. They don't make movies like that anymore.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Robot Jox is dumb fun, and certainly not even the worst dumb-fun Stuart Gordon film (Space Truckers)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Space Truckers is cool and good and your friend.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Space Truckers is cool and good and your friend.

Absolutely. Space truckers is nutso every second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I only saw Space Truckers once at 7 AM on an 8th grade class trip in a hotel room. And I don't want to let go to it feeling like a weird dream I had.