Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BigPaddy posted:

So I bought the 987 Boxster S after arguing off some money due to the gearbox issues in the service history but not being able to make it pop during a test drive. I guess the engine mounts helped?

Back to colour chat it is resell grey but how much of a faux pas is it to have the red GT3 flag graphics put down the doors and have the wheels refinished in red? :rice:

I mean depends what you want to do. If you care about resale value (you shouldn’t), it will decrease your cars value by dozens of dollars. If you like it, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It will look bad

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bape Culture posted:

It will look bad

Oh yeah for sure.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Waiting to pick it up so have the dealer images.

Getting feedback I should leave it alone :v:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Congrats! Drop the top and drive the pants off of it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gorgeous car, congrats.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Gray gets a bad rap, but that color with those wheels and the pop of red from the calipers?

:discourse:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Agreed. Not flashy but tasteful and the red calipers look great.

Probably going to go with most of the group and say the graphics might not be my thing, but you do you dude. It's your car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The more I look I think it is fine and my resell grey prejudice was coming into it. Better off spending the money on a GoPro so I can take some videos of me taking up some canyon roads.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

The more I look I think it is fine and my resell grey prejudice was coming into it. Better off spending the money on a GoPro so I can take some videos of me taking up some canyon roads.

I love it. Suggestion: clear side markers and Spyder stripe on the sides if you want to have graphics

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Gorgeous, that seems like an ideal coast carver or canyon carver!

Second the clear side markers though if you want to change the appearance a bit.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do they make replacement soft tops in BRIGHT RED like the calipers?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Russian Bear posted:

I think it might have been a factory option even.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah I saw those and when I need a new top I will do that.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Be sure to get the glass window top if you still can.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Russian Bear posted:

IRL the OEM top is more burgundy than bright red but yeah :cool:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ranzear posted:

Be sure to get the glass window top if you still can.

They're all glass aren't they? Or does the aftermarket have plastic?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

From when I was looking for a top for my old boxster they are all glass now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was under the impression the glass windows were only aftermarket. The '97 I looked at ended up getting a plastic window I think, unless the dealer just cleaned it up really good between my visits and hadn't replaced it yet (it had holes).

Not really a thing to me though. Hardtop4Lyfe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ranzear posted:

I was under the impression the glass windows were only aftermarket. The '97 I looked at ended up getting a plastic window I think, unless the dealer just cleaned it up really good between my visits and hadn't replaced it yet (it had holes).

Not really a thing to me though. Hardtop4Lyfe.

Pretty sure in 2003 they went glass window (without any other really significant changes, so they can be retrofitted in all 986es).

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Even as recently as 2017 I see posts about glass or plastic (and now I gotta watch The Rock again). I wouldn't doubt that dealers are slapping old stock plastic windows on pre-2003 Boxsters just because that's the part the book calls for.

I mean gently caress, they couldn't even figure out to raise the spoiler when doing a detail on the Cayman I bought instead. I have little doubt they put a plastic window top on it now. I hope I never have to use my powertrain warranty.

Edit: Did find that the OEM 2003 onward has a bigger glass than the aftermarket ones though. Nice to know.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 8, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Just had the Boxster S delivered and someone ticked all the boxes on the spec sheet.

They gave me a 3 month warranty on the engine and trans so if it is gonna go please go soon.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BigPaddy posted:

Just had the Boxster S delivered and someone ticked all the boxes on the spec sheet.

They gave me a 3 month warranty on the engine and trans so if it is gonna go please go soon.

Nice. When do your clear side indicator lights arrive?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Friday, as well as a bridge for the garage door opener since the car is old enough to need one.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My vote is for the amber LED markers. Mine have been working without issue for a couple years now and I like the look.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I believe I ordered LED since they were about the same price. I did take it for a good drive after the sun went down last night to see if the old issue with 2nd was still there and it was smooth like butter in every gear, no grinding, no popping out. I am going to get it up on the quick jacks and see if I can find anything on the transmission that might hint it has been worked on or replaced. I know it is a Getrag unit so you can get the internal parts just not from Porsche which would be why it is not in their service history. Brand new set of Pilot Sports on all 4 corners. Only issue is that it has the cd changer and 2005 era sat nav so I guess I need to burn some CDs with music, oh I don't own a single thing with a CD burner anymore....

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's ok. Regular CD's barely register. Porsche used some really crappy laser for their CD player so it struggles with burnt CD's. Ask me about going from LA to Winnipeg with nothing to listen to but radio.

I did find that CD-RW's work well in the player though. So that's my suggestion. External CD writers are cheap as chips and he RW you can at least rewrite when you make a new CD

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how much did you spend on it? looks great

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Out the door and delivered was just under $23k. Including tax, registration etc.... They had me and two other people interested so upped the list price to $23.5k since they knew they listed it low to begin with but by then I already had wired them the money.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:lol: the only thing I've even used my burner for the past couple years was a couple of CDs for the 996.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I will have to go to staples or something to get some blanks and see if I can get it to work. It is that or radio everywhere. If I put a Bluetooth receiver in it then the cd changer won’t be connected as you have to use the rear aux on the head unit. In my 986 I just used a pair of air pods while driving and I wanted music.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Did Porsche Japan ever offer a minidisc head unit?

Edit: They sure did! Becker MDR-32
Edit 2: Setting up an alert on buyee. If these are $5 like my RX8s factory MD unit, y'all are getting one.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 13, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

McTinkerson posted:

Edit 2: Setting up an alert on buyee. If these are $5 like my RX8s factory MD unit, y'all are getting one.

gently caress yeah https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184821510362

Shame the upgrade head units are so expensive https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154433217310 (e: I am dumb and this is the wrong thing for a 987)

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 13, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

A working minidisc radio would be pretty cool, but if you want to be a Cool Porsche Dude,
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/radio-orange-display-usb-mp3-wma-12v-vdo/tr7412ub-or~con/

That Continental radio is a pretty good compromise for getting Bluetooth and looking like it belongs in your Porsche, if you don’t want to get the 1k pcm version.

Edit: oh just realized this is for a 987. Hrm.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Convertible, NA 4 liter boxer 6... wants music? :confused:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You are right, I should just put a fabspeed cat back on it.

I expect there is a after market bezel I could get to be able to use a normal single din head unit but probably not worth the hassle. The maps on the nav are so retro that they are kind of cool despite the fact everyone uses their phone these days.

Edit: note to self, the dashboard cup holders do not work for large cold brew coffees.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 13, 2021

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got one of these and love it: https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/continental-tr7412ub-or

Bluetooth works well and it goes great with older Porsche interior. At least it does with my 996.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

dema posted:

I've got one of these and love it: https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/continental-tr7412ub-or
Bluetooth works well and it goes great with older Porsche interior. At least it does with my 996.

That's what I have in the E28, way better than the hideous thing the PO put in.

edit: was wrong have Kienzle MCR 1016 BT in the E28, similar colors and look but different layout. Bought it via ebay UK

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 13, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That is not a bad price and probably easier than messing around trying to get CDs sorted out. Wife asks if I can make it do Apple Car Play... no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Doesn't Porsche offer factory head units that support Apple Car Play / Android Auto for older model cars? Why not pick one of those up?

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 13, 2021