Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mistermojo posted:

I've been reading a memoir on the AIDS epidemic and its insane how horrible it and the government response were. just total cruelty

okay, you've piqued my interest, what book are you reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
good, normal

and of course: 27% of Republicans greatly trust CDC, compared to 76% of Democrats.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thoguh posted:

A lot of people are completely convinced that if they are vaccinated they will almost surely not get COVID and on the off chance they do get COVID it'll be no worse than a minor cold and there is zero chance of it being any worse than that and I don't wanna jump to conclusions or anything but I think our public messaging might be poo poo.

any messaging to the contrary would probably result in a lot of people not even bothering to get the shot because “well if I can’t go back to normal what’s the point then?” so we are where we are and it’s still good that we have people getting the shots at least

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

watching Johnny Mnemonic and the first exterior scene where he's wading through throngs of masked protestors who are getting jacked up by the police is a real lol

things johnny mnemonic got wrong about 2021:

storage sizes too small
phone numbers still used instead of email addresses
character pronounces 2006 as twenty oh six
ice-t more of a cop than a lotek guy these days

everything else pretty accurate

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/anyazoledz/status/1392873665230823427?s=21

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Did we talk about this https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1392813810055098368?s=21

quote:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will pardon anyone in the Sunshine State charged for not wearing masks or socially distancing — breaking the news live on air to a gym-owning couple who were facing jail time for defying coronavirus safety recommendations.

The Republican governor made the unexpected announcement on Fox News Wednesday as he decried county officials penalizing people.

“It’s a total overreach,” he told Laura Ingraham. “These things with health should be advisory, they should not be punitive.”

He broke the news of his pardon directly to Mike and Jillian Carnevale, who faced up to 120 days in jail for repeatedly allowing people to forgo masks at their gym in Plantation in Broward County.

My favorite part is that there is a Florida city named Plantation

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

well no poo poo, anybody could've told you this like at any point last year

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

anectdote time. i'm about 24 hours post second moderna shot right now and last night was pretty rough. about 12 hours after getting the shot i began getting the 'sore skin' and loopy fever feeling and went to bed with extreme chills and sweats. that peaked around 16 hours post-shot and has been fading since. my shoulder also hurts considerably more than the first shot did; sleeping on that side was difficult to impossible. today i still feel light-headed and weak but that could also be lack of sleep.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wamsutta posted:

any messaging to the contrary would probably result in a lot of people not even bothering to get the shot because “well if I can’t go back to normal what’s the point then?” so we are where we are and it’s still good that we have people getting the shots at least

This is the argument being made by people that weren't gonna get the shot anyway. The reason to get the shot on a personal level is that it greatly reduces your chance of ending up in the hospital or dead and at a community level it helps reduce the R_0 and get us out of the pandemic. Tieing the shot itself to removing restrictions is terrible policy.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

okay, you've piqued my interest, what book are you reading?

Close to the Knives by David Wojnarowicz

very well written descriptions of homelessness and gay sex and how horrible AIDS was. no mentions of Fauci but plenty on Reagan and others

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wamsutta posted:

from the perspective of "better things aren't possible" this is the ideal messaging yea

just make everyone think the vaccines are bulletproof and once you get them you can do whatever you want, the breakthrough cases are significantly less common than regular cases, so if you're going to feed people into the woodchipper anyway you can at least feed fewer of them by offsetting it with increased vaccination numbers

of course this all hinges on people being reasonable and acting in rational self-interest so the actual result is more people in woodchippers. just make it mandatory

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Thoguh posted:

This is the argument being made by people that weren't gonna get the shot anyway. The reason to get the shot on a personal level is that it greatly reduces your chance of ending up in the hospital or dead and at a community level it helps reduce the R_0 and get us out of the pandemic. Tieing the shot itself to removing restrictions is terrible policy.

Guy: I'm not going to get a shot if I still have to wear a mask when I go out!
Government: you don't have to wear a mask anymore then!
Guy: oh great, I don't need to get a vaccine anymore!

Why would you eat your vegetables if you're going to get ice cream for dessert regardless?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Louisgod posted:

well no poo poo, anybody could've told you this like at any point last year

Sure but it is important to remember that it isn't a failure of government, but a failure of the governed, when stated goals of the government fails.

That isn't to say the GOP and their electorate are without fault, but I think they are lining up the excuses for inevitable failure.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"CNN headline, CNN.com front page posted:

"If you’re vaccinated and you're outside, put aside your mask," Fauci says
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-05-13-21/h_b7083f1a233b95a27bf1c01a515c899d

CNN article posted:

“We’ve got to make that transition,” Fauci said. “If you are vaccinated, you don’t have to wear a mask outside. It would be a very unusual situation, if you were going into a completely crowded situation where people are essentially falling all over each other, then you wear a mask. But any other time, if you’re vaccinated and you’re outside, put aside your mask. You don’t have to wear it.”

What do you think people will hear? That said, last July I wore a mask when I was out walking 1.5 miles to the bus stop to get to Wal-Mart to pick up a prescription, and I was so sweaty and the mask was so sweaty by the time I got there, but I ran into bicycle riders one or two times on the way when they were coming up silently behind me

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 17:59 on May 13, 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Stop telling me what to do, Fauci! YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1392887186912129029?s=19

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

“We’ve got to make that transition,” Fauci said. “If you are vaccinated, you don’t have to wear a mask outside. It would be a very unusual situation, if you were going into a completely crowded situation where people are essentially falling all over each other, then you wear a mask. But any other time, if you’re vaccinated and you’re outside, put aside your mask. You don’t have to wear it.”

Shut the gently caress up Fauci. I'm wearing my mask just to spite your lying rear end.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

The thread called it last weekend, lol.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

welp, let's see what happens six months to a year from now by which time vaccines may have worn off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol

Lmao

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Welp time to go back to never leaving my house again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fosborb posted:

good, normal

and of course: 27% of Republicans greatly trust CDC, compared to 76% of Democrats.

those should all be 100% do not trust

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Thoguh posted:

A lot of people are completely convinced that if they are vaccinated they will almost surely not get COVID and on the off chance they do get COVID it'll be no worse than a minor cold and there is zero chance of it being any worse than that and I don't wanna jump to conclusions or anything but I think our public messaging might be poo poo.

they're not far off, personal risk after a full vaccine course is really low. a fully vaccinated 30-40 something can go to the ol sucknfuck bar(safely) and that individual will be fine. unfortunately, this isn't just a personal health issue, it's a global pandemic with a highly contagious disease. so those individuals will still contribute to asymptomatic spread(safely), increased demand on super spreader business(safely), and socially pressuring unvaccinated individuals into being exposed(safely).

as usual, the US is more concerned with individuals instead of the community. so the focus isn't on the people who are getting sick, it's on how YOU, personally, can lower your chances of getting sick while changing as little as possible about your life from dec 2019.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

euphronius posted:

those should all be 100% do not trust

The only thing I trust is forum posters, and even then I base it off of avatar quality.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I'm reading through the reddit replies on the outdoor mask thing and they're ready to treat people who still wear a mask the same as an anti-masker because we're pushing them further into their beliefs or whatever. It's all so stupid and I'm so tired.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lol this just means nobody's going to wear masks, vaccinated or not, everything is fine!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mistermojo posted:

Close to the Knives by David Wojnarowicz

very well written descriptions of homelessness and gay sex and how horrible AIDS was. no mentions of Fauci but plenty on Reagan and others

thanks, adding this to my "to read" stack

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lacrosse posted:

I'm reading through the reddit replies on the outdoor mask thing and they're ready to treat people who still wear a mask the same as an anti-masker because we're pushing them further into their beliefs or whatever. It's all so stupid and I'm so tired.

It’s difficult to stop caring what malicious morons think, but I urge you to try. I’m doing slightly better at it recently.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I just got some great cheap sunglasses to wear under my hat and above my mask so I won't be taking it off because gently caress the police state.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Louisgod posted:

lol this just means nobody's going to wear masks, vaccinated or not, everything is fine!

It means people wearing masks will be harassed to remove them or be ostracized lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

You might ask how you know if someone is vaccinated. Well, the answer is easy - if they aren't wearing a mask, just assume they're vaxxed.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Loucks posted:

It’s difficult to stop caring what malicious morons think, but I urge you to try. I’m doing slightly better at it recently.

You're right, I'm just worried one of these fucks are going to try to rip my face mask off while shrieking 'WHY DO YOU HATE SCIENCE!'

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

finally we are licensed to gently caress and suck

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Boy it's sure a good thing my respirator is being delivered today because, ooof

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Welcome to respirator crew!

Lacrosse posted:

You're right, I'm just worried one of these fucks are going to try to rip my face mask off while shrieking 'WHY DO YOU HATE SCIENCE!'

That’s a good point. I’m a dude and gave up on leaving the house unarmed when people started getting crazy about masks, so I’ve got a different, privileged perspective.

Maybe it’s time to start MaskGang for mutual defense.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol might be a little early to issue that guidance but who's to say really

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
2 acquaintances passed away last year due to prion disease. both were avid cyclists and pretty healthy. died within a month of diagnosis basically wasting away.

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Google Butt posted:

lol might be a little early to issue that guidance but who's to say really

Stfu doomer. I’ve been good and now it’s time for my treat!

Wish my kids would stop coughing, but at least it keeps them from interrupting my podcast.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
imo gently caress all the people that got vaccinated in January, open biden, your immunity may wane come summer time but you don't need to wear masks because number needs you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Louisgod posted:

imo gently caress all the people that got vaccinated in January, open biden, your immunity may wane come summer time but you don't need to wear masks because number needs you

is there evidence the vaccine's efficacy will wane so soon?