Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why do these creeps always look like they’re from the Black Hole Sun video?

Honestly, probably has something to do with trying to exaggeratedly emulate human emotion because they are actually unable to feel anything beyond pure power lust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i had really hoped that the unwarranted panic over toilet paper and meat last year would have taught folks a lesson, but apparently people are going to do this poo poo every time

I mean it did teach a lesson, it’s just that the lesson was that you should get in on the hoarding early or else it’s actually possible that there won’t be any toilet paper/meat/gas to buy when you go to get it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1392887133476638721

That's gonna be a big deal

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bel Shazar posted:

I have not been in the same suburbs as you... I see a lot of bandwagoning and basking in reflected glory in those folks. I’m sure there are vast regional differences but the suburbs around Texas cities seem to have a loooooot of blue lives matter, maga, and nra banners.

While I was in Denver last week my suburban Portland neighbors put a petition* in front of their house to have a rally "to protect our Freedom" and my wife caught & confronted a boomer chud** stealing Democratic yard signs in broad daylight. There's a poo poo ton of "Donna for School Board" signs that are just that text over an American flag and Donna is endorsed by the chud State Rep that was just charged with felonies for letting other chuds into the State Capitol.

* - I haven't actually gone to look at it. Not sure what a petition to have a rally is, but they're weirdo fundie homeschool types. My wife wrote some poo poo on the first one like "my daughter would like the freedom of your husband not trying to look in her bedroom window" and they called the cops on her. I have yet to see them since getting back home on Saturday. The husband already would never look me in the eye, so this could be fun.

** - I posted screen caps of her face & license plate on the birdsite and had a name in 2 minutes https://www.perkinsforussenate.vote/testimonial/toni-carrasco-tualatin-precinct-committee-person/

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

They might as well have dropped it for everyone because every chud is just gonna say “I’m vaccinated” even though they’re not and literally no one will have the time or the desire to check people’s vaccination paperwork.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. Is there good information about how the vaccines fare against variants? I feel like the rate of mutation would only increase as bad outbreaks in the US and elsewhere get worse.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They might as well have dropped it for everyone because every chud is just gonna say “I’m vaccinated” even though they’re not and literally no one will have the time or the desire to check people’s vaccination paperwork.

It's not like the people who would lie about being vaccinated were wearing masks in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. Is there good information about how the vaccines fare against variants? I feel like the rate of mutation would only increase as bad outbreaks in the US and elsewhere get worse.

Indian hospitals are reporting that vaccinated workers aren't getting sick, or are only getting mild symptoms, but I don't know how robust that data is. Some of the mRNAs actually perform better against certain variants than vanilla covid and I don't think any of the variants so far actually cause severe disease or hospitalizations in vaccinated individuals. I don't expect us to beat 50% vaccinations worldwide anyway, so whatever variants are gonna happen at that level are gonna happen.

Also, we're going to have to see what the specific guidance is, these early reports may be overselling it. We'll know in half an hour.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1392895744101818373

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 13, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Oracle posted:

'If the data says nothing's wrong and there's plenty of supply then why am I worried and hoarding?? CHECK AND MATE.'

Callback to old Turdblossom's 'we make our own reality while you report on it' spiel during the Iraq War.

i guess i shouldn't complain, last year we did end up getting a bunch of free meat from various relatives who ran out of freezer space and needed to free up room

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Meatball posted:

That was the other nutjob, Lauren boebert; I don't know how they're not security risks either. The dems have to have inside knowledge that these people are really dangerous, but they're just allowed to carry on?

Boebert was the one who gave tours the day before, right? Some of the recent FBI criminal filings talk about how militia members understood the layout well enough to sprint from their point of entry to let the other teams in on other parts of the building and then those teams bypassed the natural flow of the building to move quickly to specific pre-identified points where they almost intercepted congress members in movement.

If those people are the same people that were given tours that would be pretty damning.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mooseontheloose posted:

My own thoughts on this is that the chud turnout can't get much higher.... Chud turnout didn't help Trump win the election and in fact lost him the house in 2018.

They can't get higher than 2020 turn out on a Presidential general election but doing better than 2018 turn out is potentially doable if they're able to get the chuds that Trump was able to get out and vote for him in 2020 to show up and vote GOP in the 2022 mid terms.

And yeah Trump and the GOP lost control of Congress and the Presidency but the Democrat wins there were all far FAR more narrow than the polling was showing they would be. What should've been a transformative landslide win for D's was instead turned into a pretty close squeaker in the Senate, HoR, and Presidency thanks to those chuds who showed up in 2020.

2018's D voting pattern was extremely atypical, completely unexpected, and likely motivated by fear/hate of Trump. There isn't any reason so far to assume reasonably that turn out in the 2022 mid terms will be the same as then since Trump is gone now.

The few special elections we've had (which are a bad indicator) so far this year suggest nothing has fundamentally changed with D voter turnout in non-presidential election cycles. Which is really bad for the D's (and everyone else in the US) if true come mid terms but still pretty speculative at this point.

If we see a return to the same ol' same ol' mid terms voting patterns of Repubs showing up to vote for poo poo in a box with the GOP label in droves while the D's stay at home then its likely the R's will control the HoR and Senate. If we see a repeat of the 2018 voting pattern than yeah D's will still control both halves of Congress and can grab some more seats but so far there is absolutely nothing to indicate another big D voting wave is coming in the mid terms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1392888767325814786

So is he going to be subject to like, treason charges or something. What does the UCMJ say about trying to depose a lawfully elected president?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1392888767325814786

So is he going to be subject to like, treason charges or something. What does the UCMJ say about trying to depose a lawfully elected president?

FBI is taking the lead on this, and DOJ has first dibs, but I suspect if convicted they'll drum his rear end out fast.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

James Garfield posted:

It's not like the people who would lie about being vaccinated were wearing masks in the first place.

Eh, it'll probably make a difference for those refusing to get vaccines who lives in metro areas/states with decent mask regulations. In Minneapolis, they currently [begrudgingly] wear masks

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Well the vaccines that were made from genetic sequences taken in early 2020 are doing just fine so I wouldn’t stay up at night worrying about vaccine resistant COVID variances. Is it possible? Sure, but so are gamma ray bursts and false vacuum decay and all sorts of other way worse things. The evidence we have in front of us is that COVID does not mutate like influenza does, and most viruses outside of influenza do not go through vaccine resistance inducing mutations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

It doesn't matter. We lost control of this situation last year. We are never getting it back. Just go get vaxxed and then pray.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Murgos posted:

Boebert was the one who gave tours the day before, right? Some of the recent FBI criminal filings talk about how militia members understood the layout well enough to sprint from their point of entry to let the other teams in on other parts of the building and then those teams bypassed the natural flow of the building to move quickly to specific pre-identified points where they almost intercepted congress members in movement.

If those people are the same people that were given tours that would be pretty damning.

Why? Her constituents wanted a coup.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Kalit posted:

Eh, it'll probably make a difference for those refusing to get vaccines who lives in metro areas/states with decent mask regulations. In Minneapolis, they currently [begrudgingly] wear masks

Despite the target radio announcements saying we require masks because health and safety is our top priority[1], We don't require poo poo and have been mostly getting by with an honor system being followed by most but nowhere near all guests.

I fear this will lead to the masked guests abandoning it in mass.

[1] Turns out making money is our top priority and all our employees are allowed to just die. But we will still emphasize work safety to insane levels for the backroom though. As long as the safety procedure doesn't get in the way of a sale it is word of God. So now be sure to greet and engage with all those maskless guests but always use a step ladder rather than tippy-toeing it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I know it’s sexy to tell people to just pray that super COVID doesn’t kill their vaccinated asses tomorrow but we have no indication that mutations are going to lead to resistance that will meaningfully impact people who have been vaccinated. You may need a booster shot once every few years but even that’s an open question right now that’s being very loudly brought up by the companies that will benefit from making booster shots.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the evidence is pretty strong the pvizer vaccine at least fare significantly better against variants than what we pegged (pre-mRNA results) as necessary for an effective vaccine (and thus, probably the moderna one as well). don't know about J&J but iirc its tests were when variants were occurring and so it probably works well against them.

there are concerns about the AZ vaccine against variants, but that has not been used in the US and probably never will be

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pretty much all my decisions right now depend on whether I can transmit covid post-vaccination. My ethical line is transmitting it to people who are at risk of dying from it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

And yeah Trump and the GOP lost control of Congress and the Presidency but the Democrat wins there were all far FAR more narrow than the polling was showing they would be. What should've been a transformative landslide win for D's was instead turned into a pretty close squeaker in the Senate, HoR, and Presidency thanks to those chuds who showed up in 2020.

You thought it should have been a transformative landslide win because the polls were overestimating Democrats. Even then, the polls were pointing at something like 2008's margin (or closer), and the 400 electoral vote landslide was if polls underestimated Biden.

It's hard to beat an incumbent president. You could say that Trump should have been easier because he was unpopular, but if you're going to throw out the history of it being hard to beat an incumbent I don't think you can fairly use the argument that the president's party usually loses seats in a midterm election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welp seems like they're just fully dropping the requirement recommendation

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1392898696208060422

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pretty much all my decisions right now depend on whether I can transmit covid post-vaccination. My ethical line is transmitting it to people who are at risk of dying from it.

I think that was an initial concern but isn't showing to actually happen (hence why they may drop mask requirements for vaxxers).

As a side note, I think I will just be a mask carrier for life now. Not necessarily for COVID, but for work/public situations where someone is clearly sick but won't go home, etc.

Just makes sense to be a part of everyday life.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I think that was an initial concern but isn't showing to actually happen (hence why they may drop mask requirements for vaxxers).

As a side note, I think I will just be a mask carrier for life now. Not necessarily for COVID, but for work/public situations where someone is clearly sick but won't go home, etc.

Yeah, infection takes viral load, and people who are vaccinated have much lower viral loads when infected (if they get infected) such that they are frequently (but not always!) essentially non-infectious.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

the evidence is pretty strong the pvizer vaccine at least fare significantly better against variants than what we pegged (pre-mRNA results) as necessary for an effective vaccine (and thus, probably the moderna one as well). don't know about J&J but iirc its tests were when variants were occurring and so it probably works well against them.

there are concerns about the AZ vaccine against variants, but that has not been used in the US and probably never will be

Considering how literally every other aspect of this pandemic (including the rollout of the vaccines themselves) has been handled in about the worst ways possible, it's a nice surprise that the vaccines themselves have seemingly turned out to be astonishingly more effective than our wildest fantasies predicted.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Considering how literally every other aspect of this pandemic (including the rollout of the vaccines themselves) has been handled in about the worst ways possible, it's a nice surprise that the vaccines themselves have seemingly turned out to be astonishingly more effective than our wildest fantasies predicted.

A couple of weeks ago, people were sharing a NYT graphic about the story they did about "how long will it take a vaccine to get developed" and they just based it on the normal timeline for vaccinations and it was saying a vaccine was five to ten years out. US media coverage has been overwhelmingly bad and it's because scary news gets clicks. US media has tended to wildly overstate preprint findings or the dangers/prevalence of variants.

Here are the exceptions where the CDC recommends continued mask wearing

quote:

The new advice comes with caveats. Even vaccinated individuals must cover their faces and physically distance when going to doctors, hospitals or long-term care facilities like nursing homes; when traveling by bus, plane, train or other modes of public transportation, or while in transportation hubs like airports and bus stations; and when in prisons, jails or homeless shelters.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 13, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I'm definitely keeping masks in my desk at work in case I get sick. That's a change that I hope stick around.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

James Garfield posted:

You thought it should have been a transformative landslide win because the polls were overestimating Democrats.
To a degree this is true but you're downplaying the fact that Trump really did get a lot of people who don't normally vote to show up and vote for him and R's down ticket and way over performed what everyone, including Repubs, were estimating. There were more Republican voters than ever before voting for Trump in 2020.

James Garfield posted:

Even then, the polls were pointing at something like 2008's margin
Which was a pretty big deal and saw the D's get a super majority (yes very briefly, but it did happen) in the Senate and solid control of the HoR.

James Garfield posted:

It's hard to beat an incumbent president.

Not if they're poo poo. Usually anyways.

Trump's voters know he is poo poo and don't care which is what makes things far more different, creepy, and maybe a bit scary this time around. He is basically a living middle finger directed at D's for them to vote for and applaud.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

all the evidence I'm aware of basically says if you don't get a breakthrough infection when you're vaccinated you're not contagious either

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

christmas boots posted:

Especially since the mRNA tech was a pipedream not that long ago

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I also wonder how much smaller the GOP as a whole has gotten between early 2020 and now, post-1/6.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

christmas boots posted:

Except for the Azstra-Zeneca one that was moderately effective, but also caused a bit of a disaster in South Africa because it was the only vaccine they ordered.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I also wonder how much smaller the GOP as a whole has gotten between early 2020 and now, post-1/6.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

5% uptick before the election, then back down to base rate. 1/6 didn't budge them, better than half the country either wanted a coup or rationalized it by the weekend, and better than half of "Independents" have never and will never vote for anyone but a Republican.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Grouchio posted:

They mostly got to re do their gerrymanders and we all know they're harder than ever on voter suppression for 2022 so this, unfortunately, matters less than it should or will for years.

Eventually the Boomers will start getting so old you'll see mass die offs as they starting getting much over 70 so it will eventually matter but not in time for 2022.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The problems with the "demographics as destiny" and "youth will eventually prevail" narrative is that Baby Boomers will live forever and will expend their wealth and advantages at the expense of their children and grandchildren (although they're not quite as unique on this front as we might be tempted to think). By the time they truly die off, a lot of things might be irreparably damaged so it really is imperative to try to take their hands off the world's steering wheel as soon as possible.

I know voting doesn't solve everything and you sometimes need to work outside the established legal process, but if you're a millennial or younger, please, please, please vote as often as you can.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Welp seems like they're just fully dropping the requirement recommendation

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1392898696208060422

gently caress that lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Only the oldest boomers are in their 70s. Technically there are boomers who are 55, and it's a large generation. It will be decades until their numbers have dropped enough that they won't matter. There are still silents who turn out for every election.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

To a degree this is true but you're downplaying the fact that Trump really did get a lot of people who don't normally vote to show up and vote for him and R's down ticket and way over performed what everyone, including Repubs, were estimating. There were more Republican voters than ever before voting for Trump in 2020.

That isn't the point. The only reason to think 2020 would be a landslide was polling. Republicans thought it would be worse for them than it was because Republican polling was also off. Trump beating his polls doesn't mean that there's a permanent Republican majority, it means there was measurement error in the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Only the oldest boomers are in their 70s. Technically there are boomers who are 55, and it's a large generation. It will be decades until their numbers have dropped enough that they won't matter. There are still silents who turn out for every election.

Indeed, but Millenials are already now the largest voting population in the country, and I am hopeful that Zoomers, over the next decade, end up being an extremely politically engaged generation. If we can get them voting like their lives depend on it (which they do) we could be in control of the nation by the end of the decade.