Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1392775887150518273?s=19

It's only going to get worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/13/mob-violence-a-bigger-threat-to-israel-than-gaza-says-netanyahu

He's right.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

"you will not be a friend or ally to the palestinians" has traditionally been an unstated (possibly stated even?) part of the decades of aid packages the US funnels into Egypt by the billion. Most of the US aid into the region carries that stipulation.

It's so domestically unpopular to be taking american money and leaving palestinians out at the mercy of the Israelis that when the US is trying to buy cooperation it does not come cheap.

Perhaps. But in practice, Egypt's attitude toward Hamas and the border was hardly absolutist under previous administrations. Mubarak would temporarily open the border and pause the blockade if Israel ramped up the violence against Gaza too much, and the Morsi government considerably loosened border restrictions while ramping up political and diplomatic pressure against Israel. The Sisi government has been taking a much more hostile approach toward Gaza.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

But he also thrives off it, so its just talk.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Lose votes to who? The other Zionist in the race?

Yes. If they're both Zionist then they compete on other items and if one of them is Zionist and the other isn't, then yeah the single issue "will this one be Good For Israel" people will go to the other candidate.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

But he also thrives off it, so its just talk.

Yup

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/13/violence-and-mayhem-offer-benjamin-netanyahu-refuge-israel-palestinians

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1392900010421809152

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1392905799949864960

lol he bribed the joint list,

PawParole fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 13, 2021

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

UGH

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well this all worked as intended for Bibi, as usual

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

lmao

Netanyahu really is an excellent loving tempter. Every time he looks like he's on the brink of defeat, he's able to convince someone that coming to his rescue will bring incredible rewards. No matter how many times he betrays and screws over whoever saved him, they never learn.

Incidentally, the "direct election" bit is a smokescreen. The really important part is this one:
https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1392906205970972675?s=20

The current election deadlock status quo is bad for Bibi, because as long as a new government isn't formed, Gantz continues to hold onto the Alternate PM seat - with the clock continuing to tick toward the automatic switchover in a few months. Getting that deadline overturned would be a tremendous mistake.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Benjamin Net-Win Yahoo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So civil war this time next year? I can't imagine Bibi sweeping this shitstorm under the rug and not having said rug start smouldering.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

By popular demand posted:

So civil war this time next year? I can't imagine Bibi sweeping this shitstorm under the rug and not having said rug start smouldering.

Between who?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It will be defined as Jews vs. Muslims by the media but like every civil war ever it will get far too messy to be easily defined.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

By popular demand posted:

It will be defined as Jews vs. Muslims by the media but like every civil war ever it will get far too messy to be easily defined.

no haredi factions?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
IDF is going in
https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1392953390443991040

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao

Netanyahu really is an excellent loving tempter. Every time he looks like he's on the brink of defeat, he's able to convince someone that coming to his rescue will bring incredible rewards. No matter how many times he betrays and screws over whoever saved him, they never learn.

Incidentally, the "direct election" bit is a smokescreen. The really important part is this one:
https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1392906205970972675?s=20

The current election deadlock status quo is bad for Bibi, because as long as a new government isn't formed, Gantz continues to hold onto the Alternate PM seat - with the clock continuing to tick toward the automatic switchover in a few months. Getting that deadline overturned would be a tremendous mistake.

Cui bono

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao

Hey you could oust me out of government
But you could also bomb and cleanse palestinians
Doesnt have to tempt anyone when theyll run to genocide like starving hounds

As for the PA, I dont know why they even try. maybe their arms are being twisted.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think Israel might have hit the power grid in Gaza. I'm watching the Reuters live stream and you can hear fighter jets and bombs going off in the distance and now almost all the lights are off.

It could just be the normal power outages they have in Gaza though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Charliegrs posted:

I think Israel might have hit the power grid in Gaza. I'm watching the Reuters live stream and you can hear fighter jets and bombs going off in the distance and now almost all the lights are off.

It could just be the normal power outages they have in Gaza though.

Standard operation for them if so. Back during Operation Protective Edge they blew up the main power plant in Gaza and blamed it on Hamas.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1392985080105213958?s=19

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheMossadIL/status/1392773503234060288?s=20

Jfc

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reporter: Mr President, do you think Israel's response to the Hamas rockets has been an overreaction?
Biden: Nah

quote:

U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday said that he has not seen a "significant overreaction" from Israel in response to rocket fire from Gaza amid the latest regional flare-up.

“The question is how we get to a point where they get to a point where there is a significant reduction in the attacks, particularly the rocket attacks that are indiscriminately fired into population centers,” Biden told reporters.

Also Thursday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the U.S. was deeply concerned about recent Jewish-Arab violence throughout Israeli cities.

"As Muslims celebrate Eid and Jews prepare to mark Shavuot, Israelis and Palestinians deserve to take part in the celebrations, without fear of violence," Blinken said.

The secretary noted that he spoke with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as well as Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday, calling it part of a "comprehensive ongoing outreach and dialogue at all levels of the U.S. government to our respective counterparts."

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

In general,

- Evangelicals have a perverse self-identification as being the new covenant inheritors of Judaism/being the chosen people, so view Jews as proto-Christian allies and a Jewish Israel as an expeditionary extension of Christianity (even if condescendingly and disposably so), in contrast to the primary characterization of Jews as enemies of Christ predominant in some other branches of Christianity and by osmosis post-Christian cultures. This of course doesn't shape their interaction with individuals and has its own antisemitic quality.
- Revelations zionism and bringing about the end times, of course.
- Colonialism, western imperialism, and the perceived conditional whiteness and therefore enlightenment of Israel when contrasted to the Arab middle east. No one had to tell conservatives that Israel was not part of The Swamp to be drained; it's implicit and foundational to their ideology, and also to liberals'.

Having grown up in conservative evangelical circles, support of Israeli oppression is a non-negotiable political issue right up there with anti-abortion. Further the perception is, in a Vietnam-War-government-vs-military-like narrative, the US is unfairly keeping Israel on a leash and if only we elected politicians who really supported them they could finally properly defend themselves and end this once and for all (in a blood bath where all the undesirable ethnicities are exterminated or subjugated).

That said, as others have pointed out, voters' political agenda isn't relevant, because access to public platforms is already filtered for them.

It’s this.

Check out this loving minsters service from last night, talking about how great and kind Israel is being. And launching Knock bombs first to warn the folks to leave the buildings before they bomb them. Which is good actually or something

https://youtu.be/LHdwzvMWvq0

Or don’t. But this is the marching orders being given out.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grouchio posted:

Reporter: Mr President, do you think Israel's response to the Hamas rockets has been an overreaction?

Biden really is a psychopath jesus

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Gotta say, among the relatively good domestic news and the withdrawal from Afghanistan I was sort of hoping that American foreign policy would be a bit less blood-gargly for the next few years, but yeesh the response to this has been absolutely heinous from just about everyone you could think to name. It sure would be nice if Israel would stop making people crowd together in bomb shelters until after this global pandemic has been meaningfully addressed, but good loving luck getting literally anyone in English-speaking media to say that!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I don't know what it would even take for us to stop letting Israel murder whoever they want whenever they want.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

There still doesn't seem to be a clear excuse for why Israel stormed a mosque filled with hundreds of people during ramadan.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

punishedkissinger posted:

There still doesn't seem to be a clear excuse for why Israel stormed a mosque filled with hundreds of people during ramadan.

second half of the sentence? Oh you said 'clear excuse for why'

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BougieBitch posted:

Gotta say, among the relatively good domestic news and the withdrawal from Afghanistan I was sort of hoping that American foreign policy would be a bit less blood-gargly for the next few years, but yeesh the response to this has been absolutely heinous from just about everyone you could think to name. It sure would be nice if Israel would stop making people crowd together in bomb shelters until after this global pandemic has been meaningfully addressed, but good loving luck getting literally anyone in English-speaking media to say that!

Not to go too hard on you, but I'm not sure why anyone would have assumed Biden would bring better foreign policy. He brought on Anthony Blinken. A recurring beat during the election revolved around Trump's ineptitude WRT regime change, and the return of competent hawks who dont order ice cream during CIA meetings.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah I never expected Biden to be better on FP stuff.

Not that that excuses him, supporting Israel's pogroms is horrifying.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BougieBitch posted:

Gotta say, among the relatively good domestic news and the withdrawal from Afghanistan I was sort of hoping that American foreign policy would be a bit less blood-gargly for the next few years

I don't know why you would expect that from Joe "if Israel didn't exist America would have to invent one" Biden

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Grouchio posted:

He is an eternal demon.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's depressing that the Arab countries barely even pretend to give a poo poo anymore. You used to hear a lot of concern in American media about the "Arab Street," and how fear of unrest in those countries could contribute to the US reining Israel in, but now at a time when Israel is as secure as it's ever been (the Second Intifada is a distant memory), but still refuses to engage in negotiations because they're confident in their absolute victory (and Netanyahu is both inherently a nationalist and utterly beholden to people even more extreme than he is to maintain power), the countries that used to stand up for Palestine couldn't care less. I know some of them have obviously had their own problems closer to home and the rest might just have atrocity fatigue after all the poo poo that's gone down in the region over the last few decades, but that attitude makes it really easy for the West to ignore what's going on.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sinteres posted:

It's depressing that the Arab countries barely even pretend to give a poo poo anymore. You used to hear a lot of concern in American media about the "Arab Street," and how fear of unrest in those countries could contribute to the US reining Israel in, but now at a time when Israel is as secure as it's ever been (the Second Intifada is a distant memory), but still refuses to engage in negotiations because they're confident in their absolute victory (and Netanyahu is both inherently a nationalist and utterly beholden to people even more extreme than he is to maintain power), the countries that used to stand up for Palestine couldn't care less. I know some of them have obviously had their own problems closer to home and the rest might just have atrocity fatigue after all the poo poo that's gone down in the region over the last few decades, but that attitude makes it really easy for the West to ignore what's going on.

What I find interesting is how the Arab countries that have recently established diplomatic ties with Israel seem to be completely silent about this latest flare up of violence. Like isn't one of the reasons why countries have diplomatic relations so that formal complaints can be made when one side is doing something horrendous?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Terrorism is never acceptable, even for oppressed people. You have to work inside the system to affect change like civilized people.

Now if you will excuse me I need to listen to Come Out Ye Black And Tans for the tenth time today, what a glorious and justified conflict

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Charliegrs posted:

What I find interesting is how the Arab countries that have recently established diplomatic ties with Israel seem to be completely silent about this latest flare up of violence. Like isn't one of the reasons why countries have diplomatic relations so that formal complaints can be made when one side is doing something horrendous?

The Gulf states as part of the dumb Abraham Accords? As if the monsters who run those emirates give a flying gently caress about Palestinians.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

They already sold the Palestinians out when they were building ties with Israel. They knew who Netanyahu was when they were dealing with him, and some of the leaders like MBS and MBZ are involved in atrocities of their own, so it's not like they have a deep moral objection. The only thing that will make Arab leaders care about Palestine again is if ignoring the problem starts causing them issues at home, because they see the Palestinians as a lost cause and would rather leverage ties with Israel to gain leverage on other issues.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Neurolimal posted:

Not to go too hard on you, but I'm not sure why anyone would have assumed Biden would bring better foreign policy. He brought on Anthony Blinken. A recurring beat during the election revolved around Trump's ineptitude WRT regime change, and the return of competent hawks who dont order ice cream during CIA meetings.

Yeah, I dunno, I didn't really have positive expectations going into the campaign or at the start of the year, but making the pull-out from Afghanistan unconditional seemed like a meaningful step at least, and I thought there was someone below Blinken who had at least made the proper noises about recognizing Palestinian sovereignty some time back in Feb or March - I don't remember who it was now, and it's irrelevant since it clearly doesn't extend to actually DOING anything, but I guess the joke's on me for having any hope about the situation for people living in the Middle East getting even marginally less terrible

Edit: Yeah, definitely agree to the above, Israel went out of their way to normalize relations with anyone who had ever said anything previously at the same time that they denied medical care and vaccine access to the people in Gaza, not that their condemnation would have really DONE anything since none of their neighbors is in any position to actually act to help Palestinians

Edit 2: Here's some of the previous hopeful spin that people were peddling as recently as a couple months ago:
https://www.voanews.com/usa/un-biden-administration-backs-separate-state-palestinians
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/biden-administration-quietly-ramping-aid-palestinians-76790948
https://www.jns.org/memo-biden-administration-aims-to-reset-relations-with-palestinians/
https://www.arabnews.com/node/1839141/middle-east

I think the specific person I might have been thinking of is the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Israeli and Palestinian Affairs, Hady Amr, who seems to be generally regarded as not especially pro-Israel, but it might have been someone one step higher on the ladder

I think there was also some thing early on where the embassy in Jerusalem was labeled as the US embassy for Israel and Palestine on Twitter or something, but it was a while back and it doesn't say it anymore so that could have been a fever dream

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charliegrs posted:

A lot of countries that don’t love Israel also don’t really love hamas. They want Palestine but don’t specifically see hamas as the legitimate government so don’t really like bad treatment of West Bank but would like Gaza retaken back by the Palestinian authority.