Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

We had the same situation when the AA gun JPEG got released.

:five: This is why I love Store Citizen.

I for one would love an interstellar diner in a campy space truckin' sorta way. Sadly citizens want HIGHLY FIDELITOUS truckstops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The nighttime action doesn't look very nighttime.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

I for one would love an interstellar diner in a campy space truckin' sorta way. Sadly citizens want HIGHLY FIDELITOUS truckstops.

Got to find the right caliber of lot lizards.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Look at the trees! Look at the lighting! Good lord, it looks straight out of the early aughts.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

The Titanic posted:

Are those hangar lizards in the fidelitous far future of the 'verse?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/BObEeQK.gifv

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chrom1um posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about things.

I believe the reason they don't prioritize fixing the things that are truly broken is because CIG has locked themelves into a physics engine that is clearly and completely broken and unsuitable to an MMO. It is still a re-skinned Cryengine. The recommended total map size on Cryengine V is not recommended by Crytek to be represented as more than about 4 km wide. Larger than that and you create collision issues and weird movement issues. Star Citizen appears to have scaled their maps up to hundreds of miles wide, if not thousands, so everything you're seeing on screen is actually microscopic as far as the engine is concerned, and the collision detection on these ships behaves the way much smaller objects would when they collide. So any sense of mass or inertia in these spaceships is basically gone, and fatal collision issues are a non-stop occurrence because it seems every surface in the game is supposed to have collision detection.

It should have occurred to CIG very, very early on to switch physics engines and for some reason they didn't, they simply locked themselves into this one and piled more problems on it. They built a pretty house on a quicksand foundation and kept building it taller and taller. Meanwhile it's still a pretty house, but not much prettier than its neighbors anymore and also completely unlivable.

On the fly "server meshing" was supposed to work around this, but if there was a possibility that this would work we'd have seen evidence of that by now.

So in short they really need to change their game engine or they will never be able to make this a real working game.

There are two ways they could do this. First, they could develop a separate game in parallel with the current one and then just import all the art assets and everyone's character data and ships, but CIG appears to have severe manpower issues and also severe management issues, and this would require a brilliant team leader and not a narcissistic moron.

The other possibility is that they could shut down the game for as long as it takes to switch to something viable (this would not fix optimization issues but could solve the #1 problem with this game), and they could do that with the people they have, but that could mean shutting down the server for 6 months or more. Their lifeline of whales could dry up in that time.

Failing either of these things, there are simple fixes that could improve optimization like allowing some benign object clipping by massively cutting down on collision detecting (you'd get more FPS and far fewer explosions) and also instancing zones more. Chris Roberts does not seem to want to do these things and seems to think this is something that can be solved with money or something that can be ignored.

Meanwhile adding new rooms like fancy bathrooms in their ship environments is a lot easier and something they can do with the staff at hand and then make money. Like over half their team are artists right now anyway. Then they can turn around and sell more ships to the gullible and keep their revenue up.

At least that's the way I see it.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

So he says all ground vehicles take steady damage just by driving and eventually just explode randomly. :psyduck:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

So what exactly do you...do with the tank currently? Is there actually anything to shoot at or otherwise use it for anything other than what seems like just driving a vehicle that handles like a bar of soap on hot asphalt?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The Titanic posted:

The nighttime action doesn't look very nighttime.

Oh I should mention, on this particular night he was saying this:

The promised modding won’t come to SC, but it will come to ToW

I love this guy’s habit of pulling things out of his rear end and then exploding

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

novaSphere posted:

So what exactly do you...do with the tank currently? Is there actually anything to shoot at or otherwise use it for anything other than what seems like just driving a vehicle that handles like a bar of soap on hot asphalt?

You would think it would be the easiest thing to at least add a single mission to destroy a battery of AA trucks or something, but this is store citizer. Your tank mission is to try to stuff it into a ship without the world exploding and take epic screenshots

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chrom1um posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about things.

I believe the reason they don't prioritize fixing the things that are truly broken is because

they are incompetent. It has nothing to do with their chosen engine or that it is supposed to be a MMO.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

novaSphere posted:

The subreddit tells me it can be used to destroy prison turrets

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

novaSphere posted:

The same thing you do with funcopops, gunpla, model airplanes, warhams, special edition busts, and assorted other injection-molded plastic garbage:

you put it on a shelf to look at once in a while and feel like you've filled that hole in your heart a little bit

Except with Store Citizer you don't own the shelf and eventually it will vanish

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Fidelitious posted:

Please, go on.

You know, Peyronie's disease. I think Chris Chan has it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

I was repairing the shield generator on my 890 Jump when he walked up to my cockpit, his six jackets unzipped just-so. I marveled at his golden, highly fidelitous chest hair and the glisten of space sweat across his six pack. He was an Adonis for hire, and I had a pile of UEC burning a hole in my wallet. As I stuffed my cred chip down his pants, he leaned in and whispered in my ear,
"Buy an Idris."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I think this is the secret that both CIG and Citizens know but won't admit: this is not a video game anymore, it is a digital toy shelf for spaceship collectors.

The people who wanted an actual game are long gone, the spaceship-traders are mostly out except for some grey market launderers. It's just collectors left. At this point it's apparent that the space ships will never be remotely functional, and the only reason Citizens insist otherwise is that if they accepted that understanding they'd have to reckon with the fact that they have this collector's urge hard-wired into them at some deep level, and CIG has managed to hook their marketing into it even though their goods are digital and inherently worthless. Turbulent has done so good at painting a perception of value on their goods that even at this late date the collectors don't want to admit that what they've bought is effectively worth nothing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

they are incompetent. It has nothing to do with their chosen engine or that it is supposed to be a MMO.

no, that's an overly reductionist and simple response. most of these weird bugs are due to the engine choice, which was decision that came from the incompetency of a single person

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

DOMDOM posted:

Glassdoor is always interesting. Given their garbage pay and dipshit management you have to wonder how many of these are 20-somethings straight out of college/new to the workforce. (all of them)

Worth it just for the one that said "You can do things here that are future interview gold."

Which...yeah, definitely. If I was interviewing job applicants and saw CIG on their resume, I would absolutely bring them in for an interview just to satisfy my morbid curiosity about what the gently caress that was like.

I don't know if it would be "interview gold" in the sense that it would get you a job, but in the sense of "the only thing you will be talking about in this interview?" That's a big yes.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Lammasu posted:

You know, Peyronie's disease. I think Chris Chan has it.

That's a name I haven't heard in a while. Though I do recall some goon once pointed out that his Playstation Network profile showed he was a compulsive digital hoarder, buying games every day. Including every DLC, even for games he'd never played.

I guess that's a thing with autism. It certainly explains the Star Citizen business model.

Trilobite posted:

Worth it just for the one that said "You can do things here that are future interview gold."

Which...yeah, definitely. If I was interviewing job applicants and saw CIG on their resume, I would absolutely bring them in for an interview just to satisfy my morbid curiosity about what the gently caress that was like.

I don't know if it would be "interview gold" in the sense that it would get you a job, but in the sense of "the only thing you will be talking about in this interview?" That's a big yes.

"Mr. Smith, it says here you worked with Sandi Gardiner. Tell me, can she really speak Filipino, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, AND Tagalog? How are her sword skills?"

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2021

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Deskeletonized posted:

Look at the trees! Look at the lighting! Good lord, it looks straight out of the early aughts.

It does give off Operation Flashpoint vibes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

no, that's an overly reductionist and simple response. most of these weird bugs are due to the engine choice, which was decision that came from the incompetency of a single person

Except a number of good/working video games (Crysis/Farcry) have been made with Cryengine. The difference here is the developer and CIG cannot make video games, they are incompetent and even if they were using the "correct" engine they still couldn't make the game they promised.

Cryengine at it's heart is an FPS engine and CIG couldn't even get that working with Star Marine/Theaters of War.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh, so they didn't actually shrink everything 200 times but the map is so big the engine interpretes it so? Cool.
Because I was just about to ask about the source of the "Star Citizen is actually tiny in-engine" because a buddy asked me about it and I'm wondering if this is thread rumor or speculation or did we get some confirmation about this?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

L. Ron Hoover posted:

So he says all ground vehicles take steady damage just by driving and eventually just explode randomly. :psyduck:

I would bet good money this extends towards things like lowering a shuttle ramp, too

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

Sarsapariller posted:

I think this is the secret that both CIG and Citizens know but won't admit: this is not a video game anymore, it is a digital toy shelf for spaceship collectors.

The people who wanted an actual game are long gone, the spaceship-traders are mostly out except for some grey market launderers. It's just collectors left. At this point it's apparent that the space ships will never be remotely functional, and the only reason Citizens insist otherwise is that if they accepted that understanding they'd have to reckon with the fact that they have this collector's urge hard-wired into them at some deep level, and CIG has managed to hook their marketing into it even though their goods are digital and inherently worthless. Turbulent has done so good at painting a perception of value on their goods that even at this late date the collectors don't want to admit that what they've bought is effectively worth nothing.

well said. maybe croberts is going to actually invent the quantum drive and these ships will all be real real.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Deskeletonized posted:

Are those hangar lizards in the fidelitous far future of the 'verse?

Naw. That'd be considered creativity.

If it was good enough for WW2 it's good enough here. Not sure if lot lizard existed as a term then though and I'm sure as heck not going to research it further either, though.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

novaSphere posted:

You can drive it and shoot the gun and play Storage Citizen with it.

That's basically it. It's a 4K artwork for you to buy with no gameplay, and in the one video I saw of it in combat with a ship, the ship just hung itself directly over it facing down and infinitely hovered until the tank exploded... because a tank can't counter space ships.

So it's just another thing to buy that, if the game ever becomes a game, there will be no point in being in it unless you just like to be killed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Oh I should mention, on this particular night he was saying this:

The promised modding won’t come to SC, but it will come to ToW

I love this guy’s habit of pulling things out of his rear end and then exploding

Oh good. I hope he did his noble duty of linking to the CIG official modding user guide so people can buy that and start modding their own servers.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

I was repairing the shield generator on my 890 Jump when he walked up to my cockpit, his six jackets unzipped just-so. I marveled at his golden, highly fidelitous chest hair and the glisten of space sweat across his six pack. He was an Adonis for hire, and I had a pile of UEC burning a hole in my wallet. As I stuffed my cred chip down his pants, he leaned in and whispered in my ear,
"Buy an Idris."

Did he then whip it out and you both did some penis sword fighting until somebody lost due to Peyronie's disease?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kikas posted:

Oh, so they didn't actually shrink everything 200 times but the map is so big the engine interpretes it so? Cool.
Because I was just about to ask about the source of the "Star Citizen is actually tiny in-engine" because a buddy asked me about it and I'm wondering if this is thread rumor or speculation or did we get some confirmation about this?

It's an unconfirmed rumor, but the wonky physics do seem to imply they did something with the scaling somewhere.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Did he then whip it out and you both did some penis sword fighting until somebody lost due to Peyronie's disease?

Sounds great. SHIP IT!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Kavros posted:

Mind blown at the guy trying to start from scratch with no money.

Mainly because that's what I did, and he's absolutely doing it wrong. You can't go into it with an expectation anything works - no rentals, no cargo transit, no waste to server crashes.

Real way to play from the ground up is a couple of low bounties in your starter ship, use that money to purchase the laser LMG w / 6 clips and a set of medium armor, then you rush repeat the 890 jump Boarding Action mission like 20 to 30 times until you can afford the vanguard warden or sentinel. Buy it, slap a panther repeater on it (or the gun that does more damage if it gets hot, if you a... fancy guy) and you've unlocked the ability to solo the toughest bounties and travel around the entire system at the highest speeds. The end. You win SC.

Whoa- the vanguard warden doesn’t completely suck now? Crazy times we’re living in. I still have a cutlass black I couldn’t sell, hopefully that will be a good ship when SC is finally done.

:laffo:

cmdrk posted:

Like the diner in Spaceballs?

Cause I’d play that game.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

punishedkissinger posted:

The subreddit tells me it can be used to destroy prison turrets

So there's a 30% chance that's actually true.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Time_pants posted:

So there's a 30% chance that's actually true.

It will destroy prison turrets in that when you fire the gun at a turret the entire server crashes, so technically it's true.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

While we don't know exactly what causes the bugs we do know what their custom additions to the engine are. These are very specific things that were not present in any engine at the time the project started (and most aren't present in Engines nowadays) so. had they implemented them in any other engine, the result would have been pretty much the same because they -as a company- are incompetent.

You could give them an engine that did everything they wanted and they would still gently caress it up because they would see that as an invitation to add more custom stuff on top, eventually breaking everything.

So yeah, it is a simple and reductionist response but it is also what happened.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

It is just a rumor/speculation that was may or may not be true, partly fueled by the scale issues that they had with the original Star Marine.

It would explain many things. For example, when an entity (commando, tonk) moves from one submap to another (from a station to a ship, etc) the local coordinate location of the entity has to be recalculated so that it is in the proper location in the new map, if they have indeed shrunk everything then slight floating point errors during conversion could trigger their collision detection causing stuff like vehicles exploding when using a ramp.

Personally I find it unlikely since they have switched to 64bit precision but they are just so bad at being a developer that it might be possible.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
When I was working as a security guard their was like this religious trucking company called Covenant. Once I saw a sticker on one of the window that said no lot lizard and it had a picture of what looked like a Halo Jackal in a dress and wig.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

So it's just another thing to buy that, if the game ever becomes a game, there will be no point in being in it unless you just like to be killed.

The crowning irony of all of the ground vehicles is that they are dirt-cheap in game, compared to any spaceship, because the people balancing the game know that they are worthless. So the actual USD are even more poorly spent- they are saving themselves 2-3 hours of earning money in-game, if even that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

It is just a rumor/speculation that was may or may not be true, partly fueled by the scale issues that they had with the original Star Marine.

It would explain many things. For example, when an entity (commando, tonk) moves from one submap to another (from a station to a ship, etc) the local coordinate location of the entity has to be recalculated so that it is in the proper location in the new map, if they have indeed shrunk everything then slight floating point errors during conversion could trigger their collision detection causing stuff like vehicles exploding when using a ramp.

Personally I find it unlikely since they have switched to 64bit precision but they are just so bad at being a developer that it might be possible.

I think the collision detection and ramp errors are largely happening because everything, everything in this game is server authoritative. So if you're trying to drive up an incline and you lag even slightly, you personally will see your tank going up at the proper angle but the server is predicting your motion on the horizontal plane and thinks you should be slightly inside the ramp.

It should be easy to verify- as soon as INVICTUS WEEK or whatever the current server overload is has ended, the errors should drop back off. The fact that CIG is apparently okay with their game taking a poo poo any time more than 50 people log on at once is pretty funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

When I was working as a security guard their was like this religious trucking company called Covenant. Once I saw a sticker on one of the window that said no lot lizard and it had a picture of what looked like a Halo Jackal in a dress and wig.

:lol:

Got to keep them at bay. Don't make them pull up their holy water and cross and start dousing those poor lot lizards just trying to pull some ends near with a few tricks.