Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jesus Christ it’s way too soon for this. Here in DC we’re still at less than 40% of the population vaccinated.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Jesus Christ it was way too soon for this. Here in DC we’re still at less than 40% of the population vaccinated.

Yuuuuuup. Even if we were 70-80% across the country, it's too early. gently caress.

This is loving negligent. We already have assholes flouting the rules saying "its ok we can have indoor parties no masks we're vaccinated wooooo." This is just going to embolden these idiots.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Went to the grocery today and every white male older than 40 was just wearing their mask dangling below their chin or some old dude in a rascal was just straight up not even wearing one. No one in the store will tell them poo poo either even though the routine announcement going over the speakers tells everyone to be masked, distanced etc.

Worst I've seen it since the beginning of covid so far. Ofc no one else was unmasked except them.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
As a white male I can confirm we are the worst

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yuuuuuup. Even if we were 70-80% across the country, it's too early. gently caress.

This is loving negligent. We already have assholes flouting the rules saying "its ok we can have indoor parties no masks we're vaccinated wooooo." This is just going to embolden these idiots.

The alternative case is that there are a decent chunk of people that are more like "well, why should I get vaccinated if I still have to wear a mask everywhere?" Giving these people the "hey, get vaccinated so you can have those indoor parties and go nuts" argument probably gets you more people vaccinated, which is the only thing that really matters anymore.

The true nonvaccinated, non-masking assholes are gonna rear end in a top hat one way or another. The scientists have likely figured that the breakthrough cases are so negligible that the masks no longer help much in normal situations. Then the administration's social science people probably figured that you get more vaccinated that way too. Plus states/localities/businesses can still require masks in hotzones and medical circumstances, so it's noit a full mask-drop recommendation everywhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

As a white male I can confirm we are the worst

Confirmed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Get your shots everyone, because the masks are coming down and it looks like a lot's going to be run on the honor system.

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1392902661457031168

How does this affect the Executive Order regarding federal workplaces/facilities? Gonna be some happy people at work if they can stop wearing masks anytime soon. Provided we can meet the county requirements of course.

I'll laugh so hard if the dipshits that refuse to get vaccinated are the reason we still have to wear masks at work for the next year.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The alternative case is that there are a decent chunk of people that are more like "well, why should I get vaccinated if I still have to wear a mask everywhere?" Giving these people the "hey, get vaccinated so you can have those indoor parties and go nuts" argument probably gets you more people vaccinated, which is the only thing that really matters anymore.

The true nonvaccinated, non-masking assholes are gonna rear end in a top hat one way or another. The scientists have likely figured that the breakthrough cases are so negligible that the masks no longer help much in normal situations. Then the administration's social science people probably figured that you get more vaccinated that way too. Plus states/localities/businesses can still require masks in hotzones and medical circumstances, so it's noit a full mask-drop recommendation everywhere.

The problem is there’s no enforcement mechanism. We don’t have vaccine passports because Republicans will claim they’re the Mark of the Beast and there are plenty of fake cards out there. There’s going to be a non-insignificant number of sovcit assholes who will be like “YOU CANT ASK ME IF IM VACCINATED, THAT VIOLATES MY HIPPO RIGHTS!”

I’m still skeptical about this. We’re at like 46% of the total population vaccinated, which still isn’t close to even the lower numbers hypothesized to hit herd immunity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The problem is there’s no enforcement mechanism. We don’t have vaccine passports because Republicans will claim they’re the Mark of the Beast and there are plenty of fake cards out there. There’s going to be a non-insignificant number of sovcit assholes who will be like “YOU CANT ASK ME IF IM VACCINATED, THAT VIOLATES MY HIPPO RIGHTS!”

I’m still skeptical about this. We’re at like 46% of the total population vaccinated, which still isn’t close to even the lower numbers hypothesized to hit herd immunity.

Yup, and now anti-vaxx'ers are going to use this as a free pass, this is going to backfire badly.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, and now anti-vaxx'ers are going to use this as a free pass, this is going to backfire badly.

Hopefully the antivax crowd will thin some as a result.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

How does this affect the Executive Order regarding federal workplaces/facilities?

EO's still active until it isn't!

Completely agree. It's mostly a choice between hosed and hosed, and being forced to trust people that have proved they can't be trusted.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

We are dealing with COVID the same way we dealt with Vietnam.

By ignoring we had to do anything

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile getting back to our other ongoing shitstorm

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1392914849903042566

If Hezbollah is entering the conflict, it’s going to be a wholly new level of escalation. They actually have rockets that go well beyond “pipe bomb with fins” and are better trained, well disciplined and have been preparing for all out war with Israel since 2006. That said there are definitely other smaller, less capable groups that could have launched a few rockets as well, but Israel will definitely hold Hezbollah accountable if even a crappy rocket hits somewhere in Northern Israel and does some damage.

Edit: likely launched by a Palestinian militant group near one of the refugee camps, not Hezbollah

https://twitter.com/Beltrew/status/1392916060333133829

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 13, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Pipeline operator lied, and fed the lie to Biden. And based on other stuff I'm seeing, they were pretty much asking for a breach to happen eventually.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1392847105736253445?s=20

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

The Pipeline operator lied, and fed the lie to Biden. And based on other stuff I'm seeing, they were pretty much asking for a breach to happen eventually.

loving knew it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

Dumb question, but what incentive would the hackers have to release the info when paid? It's not like the pipeline company can file a customer service complaint and the hackers are already committing major crimes. Why not keep raising the price?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dumb question, but what incentive would the hackers have to release the info when paid? It's not like the pipeline company can file a customer service complaint and the hackers are already committing major crimes. Why not keep raising the price?

None. None whatsoever. IIRC the current statistic is there's only a 30% chance of them sending the decrypt after being paid. However it seems like the louder this is in the media, the more likely the ransomers will decrypt when paid.

And from what I'm hearing, they did get the decrypt tool, but it was so slow they ended up restoring from backups anyways.

Its important to emphasize, too, that this is as much Colonials fault as it is the ransomware group, as Colonial was skimping on security from the sounds of it, so this was going to happen eventually.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

You've hit on exactly why you're never supposed to pay a ransom.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

None. None whatsoever. IIRC the current statistic is there's only a 30% chance of them sending the decrypt after being paid. However it seems like the louder this is in the media, the more likely the ransomers will decrypt when paid.

And from what I'm hearing, they did get the decrypt tool, but it was so slow they ended up restoring from backups anyways.

Its important to emphasize, too, that this is as much Colonials fault as it is the ransomware group, as Colonial was skimping on security from the sounds of it, so this was going to happen eventually.

Gotcha, yeah I don't know much about InfoSec but would think once the payment was sent they would just peace out and stay off the radar.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

If Hezbollah is entering the conflict, it’s going to be a wholly new level of escalation. They actually have rockets that go well beyond “pipe bomb with fins” and are better trained, well disciplined and have been preparing for all out war with Israel since 2006.
I'm awfully curious what effect their involvement in the Syrian Civil War has had on their military capabilities and what it means for a hypothetical conflict with the IDF. On the one hand, there's only so much that experience fighting ill-equipped rebels in technicals carries over to a battlefield where that power dynamic is reversed, but it still has to offer some advantage over an opponent whose only experience in the last decade is acting as an occupying force, albeit with the occasional foray into Gaza.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Some ransomware groups have invested the effort into being perceived as trustworthy in order to make payouts more likely.

Also CISA pushed out an alert about ransomware shutting down pipeline operations over a year ago which should have been a warning to the industry about their vulnerability (but lol of course it wasn't): https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/aa20-049a

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The people have spoken and they wanted more Kornacki.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1392896161187569669

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

The people have spoken and they wanted more Kornacki.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1392896161187569669

Hey, good for him! He seems like a very knowledgeable dude.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Looks like all this poo poo worked for Netanyahu.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1392922312266108928

https://twitter.com/NathanWurtzel/status/1392923440252923905

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CommieGIR posted:

You're going to get crypto'd at some point. The questions are just how well can you mitigate the damage and how quickly you can restore from backups. Sounds like Colonial didn't really ask any of those questions.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You're going to get crypto'd at some point. The questions are just how well can you mitigate the damage and how quickly you can restore from backups. Sounds like Colonial didn't really ask any of those questions.

Alluded to earlier by others, but here's the article on it: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2018-tech-audit-of-colonial-pipeline-found-glaring-problems-01620862968

quote:

BOSTON — An outside audit three years ago of the major East Coast pipeline company hit by a cyberattack found “atrocious” information management practices and “a patchwork of poorly connected and secured systems,” its author told The Associated Press.

“We found glaring deficiencies and big problems,” said Robert F. Smallwood, whose consulting firm delivered an 89-page report in January 2018 after a six-month audit. “I mean an eighth-grader could have hacked into that system.”

How far the company, Colonial Pipeline, went to address the vulnerabilities isn’t clear. Colonial said Wednesday that since 2017, it has hired four independent firms for cybersecurity risk assessments and increased its overall IT spending by more than 50%. While it did not specify an amount, it said it has spent tens of millions of dollars.

“We are constantly assessing and improving our security practices — both physical and digital,” the privately held Georgia company said in response to questions from the AP about the audit’s findings. It did not name the firms who did cybersecurity work but one firm, Rausch Advisory Services, located in Atlanta near Colonial’s headquarters, acknowledged being among them. Colonial’s chief information officer sits on Rausch’s advisory board.

Sounds like they asked the questions, got the answers, and didn't like them.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If you’re a hacker group you want a reputation of being both capable and willing to honor your word, that’s basically the only reason they have to follow through

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CommieGIR posted:

Confirmed.

How many loving times has that guy weasled his way back into power after losing elections? Feels like he's been PM on a technicality for over a decade at this point

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I've been traveling today and between Atlanta and Salt Lake Ciry the vast majority of people nose dicking, wearing masks around their chin or not at all are older white men.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

facialimpediment posted:

Alluded to earlier by others, but here's the article on it: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2018-tech-audit-of-colonial-pipeline-found-glaring-problems-01620862968

Sounds like they asked the questions, got the answers, and didn't like them.

That guy blew his NDA so hard. I do cybersecurity assessments of infrastructure much like this, and - wow. I am genuinely shocked he spoke up. On the one hand I admire his balls and really wish he'd spoken up sooner... on the other hand he is going to be on the receiving end of an almighty loving lawsuit. He may have trouble getting business, too - nobody wants to hire an assessor who outs their clients.

The solution here is to have something like a cyber NTSB and protections for whistleblowers, not just tweeting it out - unfortunately, we don't have those things.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kesper North posted:

That guy blew his NDA so hard. I do cybersecurity assessments of infrastructure much like this, and - wow. I am genuinely shocked he spoke up. On the one hand I admire his balls and really wish he'd spoken up sooner... on the other hand he is going to be on the receiving end of an almighty loving lawsuit. He may have trouble getting business, too - nobody wants to hire an assessor who outs their clients.

The solution here is to have something like a cyber NTSB and protections for whistleblowers, not just tweeting it out - unfortunately, we don't have those things.

A cyber NTSB equivalent is included in the Cybersecurity EO the white house dropped yesterday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

Yeah this guys reputation is hosed. True or not, Colonial is going to take him to the cleaners. I also do Pen Testing and Cyber Assessments, and I know this would get me burned fast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ElMaligno posted:

We are dealing with COVID the same way we dealt with Vietnam.

By ignoring we had to do anything

Ah just how we treat mental health then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LongDarkNight posted:

I've been traveling today and between Atlanta and Salt Lake Ciry the vast majority of people nose dicking, wearing masks around their chin or not at all are older white men.

Huh, I wonder why that is

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soylent Pudding posted:

A cyber NTSB equivalent is included in the Cybersecurity EO the white house dropped yesterday.

Hopefully it will be staffed with people who understand computers and security.

We have a habit of naming the dumbest people to direct policy about things they don’t understand.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Here we go ooooo

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1392953390443991040?s=19

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1392947182735532033

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah, we need Congress to act to make that any kind of reality though. And you know Congress!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ASAPI posted:

Hopefully the antivax crowd will thin some as a result.

The problem with this approach is that it will affect innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This reminds me that I used to troll chuds who felt women have no place in the military by saying "The IDF has women in combat branches and they're better than the marine corps". And if they pushed back, "They certainly have a better record of murdering brown peoplefighting terrorists the past 50 years."