Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

From that article above - notably, the model to the bottom right has two ice swords. The only Ice Guard models we've seen in-game today had glaives so it's either an alternate type or, just perhaps, a hero unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this is looking really slick, ngl. tfw no chorfs to be seen though, come on now. just a tease please.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

orangelex44 posted:

From that article above - notably, the model to the bottom right has two ice swords. The only Ice Guard models we've seen in-game today had glaives so it's either an alternate type or, just perhaps, a hero unit.

Probably an alternate type, since the glaive ones we saw are listed as (Glaive), implying the existence of other types

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I hope they actually improve some things this time like 3k diplomacy or lords with identity. Just getting new toys to play with might get some people hyped for a short while, but won't give the game any more lasting fun.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Electronico6 posted:

Posted by GW this appears to be a new map for the Kislev region

https://www.warhammer-community.com...9-xsZnooLCeo_ic

Hold up, in the top-right of the map, does that say "Nation of the Hobgobla-Khans"?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yes it does, I'd say thats pretty much a confirmation of Chaos Dwarfs

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think those maps are tied directly into the Old World re-release by Games Workshop that's set some 300 years before the total war games, so I wouldn't draw too many expectations from it.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 13, 2021

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
On the other hand, everything we've seen so far points to a very close relationship between CA and GW in designing WH3 and The Old World

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah that was sick, Kislev definitely going to be my first play

Could do without the green aura on selected units though. Hopefully it can be toggled

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Huh, it seems like Kislev owns the top part of the darklands now? For some reason?

I mean, the nation only had three cities before the reboot, which meant only three provinces, which is to small for a race so they had to do something.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Grumio posted:

On the other hand, everything we've seen so far points to a very close relationship between CA and GW in designing WH3 and The Old World

Yeah, the designs for the Ice Guard and Bear Cav were shown months ago in relation to The Old World, and now here they are. They're definitely working in tandem, and they've said as much in the past (back in the announcement stuff for WH3 in January).

Kislev looks dope as gently caress. BEAR CAV. GIANT ELEMENTAL BEAR. BEAR MORTARS. BEARS. BEAAAAARS. Khorne looks amazing, as well, don't get me wrong. That loving Bloodthirster looks INCREDIBLE. Everything from the animations to the sounds works... but bear cavalry.

I really, really hope the building mechanics we're seeing here are present in the general siege rework, because that poo poo is sorely needed. I'm also hoping we get a general diplomacy rework. Beyond that, GIVE ME CATHAY OR GIVE ME DEATH, BITCHES. I thought it was impossible for Cathay to be a thing in these games, and yet here we are. My body is loving ready.

Oh and at the end of the presentation the host mentioned that the race pack reveal (presumably the pre-order incentive) will be "very soon". So hopefully next month? I don't know. It's gotta be either Chorfs or Ogres? Maybe?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vagabong posted:

I think those maps are tied directly into the Old World re-release by Games Workshop that's set some 300 years before the total war games, so I wouldn't draw too many expectations from it.

What. They are doing Horus heresy Warhammer? Dear lord that is disappointing.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Josef bugman posted:

Better that than more Age of Sigmar nonsense at least.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Huh, it seems like Kislev owns the top part of the darklands now? For some reason?

There’s a WHFRP supplement from like the 80s where Kislev has a bunch of lands around where that would be which never really got any elaboration later because the later editions of Warhammer fantasy focused super hard on the Empire/Elf Lands and sometimes Lustria.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Kinda bummed they aren't reworking ranged unit behavior overall but I guess that's probably too much to hope for. Oh well.

Kislev looks loving awesome.

e: I can't tell if late-game Kislev armies will be totally different units than early-game units or if there will still be some units that stay backbones the whole way through (eg, WH2 general progression vs especially empire but WH1 as well)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 13, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ArchRanger posted:

Better that than more Age of Sigmar nonsense at least.

See I'd disagree. AoS started badly but it's fun and silly and whilst, imo, being worse than normal warhammer it's something I am sure people can like.

But Horus for the Old World is just... it feels like a step backwards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Josef bugman posted:

See I'd disagree. AoS started badly but it's fun and silly and whilst, imo, being worse than normal warhammer it's something I am sure people can like.

I dont know what the Horus Heresy is because I dont follow 40k lore but I think its neat that they are rebooting the franchise and will hopefully make it a more down-to-earth setting compared to AoS which is way too off the loving wall for me to ever care about it.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I don’t think the Old World stuff is really turning out to be Horus Heresy, it’s just a WHFB reboot but they’re backing it a bit away from the end of the world storyline the game has from about 6th edition onwards.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont know what the Horus Heresy is because I dont follow 40k lore but I think its neat that they are rebooting the franchise and will hopefully make it a more down-to-earth setting compared to AoS which is way too off the loving wall for me to ever care about it.

The Horus Heresy is a massive civil war in the 40k universe that turns the Imperium into a crazy theocracy. There are 56 novels covering the events.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

and most of them sucks rear end tbh

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
300 years before End Times era Warhammer seems like a big whatever to me personally. Doesn't seem like it would meaningfully change much.

Look at the bright side here, honestly. No Archaon!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Josef bugman posted:

It's even being ran by the same head dev who almost drowned the Horus Heresy game, and the Forge World imprint all together.

Things bode well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is 300 years prior during the time when Asavar Kul was the Everchosen of Chaos?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Josef bugman posted:

I don't know why you got "horus heresy" out of that. The Horus Heresy was a massive event in Warhammer 30.000 about "chaos vs the imperium"

The Warhammer Fantasy reboot is just... it's just a reboot. They're bringing back the dead setting (it blew up, remember?) but setting the stage a few hundred years earlier.

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 13, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is 300 years prior during the time when Asavar Kul was the Everchosen of Chaos?

A bit before by a few decades. It's the end of the big period where the Empire was 3 Empires (or more) that ended with Magnus.

So it is actually set during a massive civil war, just one that's mostly over.

They'll probably just do it during Kul's invasion, really. That way you have the Empire pulling itself back together, Kislev being heroes to keep things in check, etc.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 13, 2021

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Electronico6 posted:

Posted by GW this appears to be a new map for the Kislev region

https://www.warhammer-community.com...9-xsZnooLCeo_ic

To the uninitiated, it would be reasonable to assume that this is a citadel, or some other building.

The connoisseur knows that it is, in fact a very, very large hat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hi, I just woke up, I understand that WH3 is now a hobby-grade MOBA, P2W, Fortnite-like, mobile graphics game, smdh

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The reason it sucks rear end is because when people wanted the Old World back, we wanted the stink of End Times washed away. Fans of Total Warhammer would probably want the characters you like and played with in the game and if they're not elves gently caress you. It's a cowardly sideways answer that doesn't really please anyone.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Have they actually said that they're reworking sieges? Because I'd be surprised, thats a lot of work. They'd be making quite a few new maps as well as having to do a bunch of ai work

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DaysBefore posted:

and most of them sucks rear end tbh

Hey, the Aaron Demùski-Bowden ones rule at least

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They have recognized that sieges are a problem, but they haven't actually given us any concrete statements (because why would that even do that?). The internet has decided that some form of siege rework is going to happen, the question is what that will actually look like. CA hasn't squashed talk of that outright (like they did when the belief was that WH2's last DLC would be dropping in April), so it's not impossible, but we don't have a clue how involved it will be.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I don't have any hope of a siege rework. I just want CA to acknowledge that siege battles are broken and add an option to disable siege battles while keeping the siege mechanic on the campaign map.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I believe they said a big focus of WH3 would be a siege rework, now whether they stick to that is another thing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Hot take: Sieges in Warhammer were/are better than every other siege. At least the AI can sort of manage the limited sieges in Warhammer. The hardest part of sieges in 3k are the towers, other than that it's laughably easy. Also, you rarely have a reason to attack a town using all the sides/walls. Most sieges in most TWs end up being 1-wall affairs anyway.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Wasn't it a random stream from February of 2020 where they said they were looking to rework sieges in TWW3? I remember it getting posted around because it also included them saying that DLC for DLC wasn't off the table.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They took their first step with Warden and Paunch because the siege battle in that DLC is passable.

Really what they need to do is take the sieges from Attila and Britannia and just work out the pathfinding issues.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Hot take: Sieges in Warhammer were/are better than every other siege. At least the AI can sort of manage the limited sieges in Warhammer. The hardest part of sieges in 3k are the towers, other than that it's laughably easy. Also, you rarely have a reason to attack a town using all the sides/walls. Most sieges in most TWs end up being 1-wall affairs anyway.

I remember Shogun 2 sieges being pretty cool. The enemy can attack from any side and bigger settlements had multiple layers of defenses. Troy's sieges are similar to Shogun's so I like it there too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Hot take in so far as much as Shogun 2 sieges exist; it's funny in the sense that WH sieges are both one of the better siege designs in the series *and* the worst part of the WH games.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I agree with you. They are also some of the worst parts of the Warhammer series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
In the Turin stream earlier he briefly mentioned that minor settlement battles are included in WH3 which would be great if that means streets to fight in like the historical titles. Attila had a lot of problems but I remember enjoying minor settlement fights the most in that game out of all the titles. Something like that in Warhammer would be great.