Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So a while back I had an idea for a Fallout 5: a post-post-apocalyptic RPG, and, man just idly thinking earlier I came up with an idea for something like that which I think would be both good and fit the setting:

A pre-war CEO who saw the coming end of the world and decided he would keep his money and his life by basically turning himself into a robobrain, but only the brain in a jar part. He had a bunker under his corporation that had robot servants and the like, and the first person to try to breach the bunker got captured, dragged in, and mutilated so the brain in a jar could use that body as their own, just a brain in a jar nightmarishly joined to a living body, stuck to the stump of the neck where the original head was removed.

With an new body whey started looking to get more money and power. They offered wastelanders jobs for food and shelter, but through basic capitalism charged them more for the things he was providing than he thought they were earning, essentially turning them into wage slaves with killbot overseers.

Occasionally the new body starts to break down, so he chooses the youngest, brightest, most charismatic and lively one of his workers/slaves, declares them in default, and uses them to be his new meat suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
76 runs soooo much loving better on a Series S than my ancient xbone. Load times are like, 3-5 seconds now compared to 30+sec on the xbone. A lot smoother, no more freezing up while running, just all around a much better experience.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

76 runs soooo much loving better on a Series S than my ancient xbone. Load times are like, 3-5 seconds now compared to 30+sec on the xbone. A lot smoother, no more freezing up while running, just all around a much better experience.
make sure you enable FPS boost in the game settings. it's off by default, I assume maybe because it lowers resolution, though it looks fine to me (on a 1080p monitor)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll definitely do that. My dumb tv is 1080p anyhow.

It really is a night and day difference. Sucks about the availability of the systems, but stalking the microsoft store worked out for me, and they never came in stock on amazon unless you want to overpay some rear end in a top hat affiliate by 30-70%.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'll definitely do that. My dumb tv is 1080p anyhow.
btw I meant it's in the per game settings in the xbox dashboard, not in the game itself

games running at 60+ fps is pretty much the main reason I gently caress with consoles this gen

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oooookay. I need to adjust my screen, so I'll be dicking around in settings anyhow.

My console is generally my cable box. All my tv apps run on it. Sling and hulu are much better on the S too, not taking 5 minutes to load menus is nice.

Late edit: so what's the deal with people bouncing around on marsupial in the lobby for nuclear winter? Exploits or is that some poo poo at available at a higher level?

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 13, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ugh I had some extra time last night so I knocked out all the Weekly SCORE challenges several days early, what do I see fresh on the homepage note today? FFS they could announce that at the start of a new weeks challenges.

I did buy a Coffin backpack cheap today, though :kiddo: Does anyone have a spare Witch Costume plan they would trade for a Skeleton Costume or sell for a not-ruinous sum? I've been board flipping a couple hours and got 2 Skeletons, several Vampire men who drop no plans and one Witch with a tape and a toothbrush in her pocket :mad:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ugh I had some extra time last night so I knocked out all the Weekly SCORE challenges several days early, what do I see fresh on the homepage note today? FFS they could announce that at the start of a new weeks challenges.

I did buy a Coffin backpack cheap today, though :kiddo: Does anyone have a spare Witch Costume plan they would trade for a Skeleton Costume or sell for a not-ruinous sum? I've been board flipping a couple hours and got 2 Skeletons, several Vampire men who drop no plans and one Witch with a tape and a toothbrush in her pocket :mad:

Pretty sure the weekly scores aren't doubled, just the daily ones.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Pretty sure the weekly scores aren't doubled, just the daily ones.

Oh thats ok then, I will go sit in a bush for 10mins on NW asap :o:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ghillie suit FTW

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Late edit: so what's the deal with people bouncing around on marsupial in the lobby for nuclear winter? Exploits or is that some poo poo at available at a higher level?

Frog Legs perk card. Requires 9 agility and can be purchased for 10 of the overseer points you get whenever you get a duplicate NW perk card from a pack.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ashsaber posted:

So a while back I had an idea for a Fallout 5: a post-post-apocalyptic RPG, and, man just idly thinking earlier I came up with an idea for something like that which I think would be both good and fit the setting:

A pre-war CEO who saw the coming end of the world and decided he would keep his money and his life by basically turning himself into a robobrain, but only the brain in a jar part. He had a bunker under his corporation that had robot servants and the like, and the first person to try to breach the bunker got captured, dragged in, and mutilated so the brain in a jar could use that body as their own, just a brain in a jar nightmarishly joined to a living body, stuck to the stump of the neck where the original head was removed.

With an new body whey started looking to get more money and power. They offered wastelanders jobs for food and shelter, but through basic capitalism charged them more for the things he was providing than he thought they were earning, essentially turning them into wage slaves with killbot overseers.

Occasionally the new body starts to break down, so he chooses the youngest, brightest, most charismatic and lively one of his workers/slaves, declares them in default, and uses them to be his new meat suit.

Dude you're going to be sued for stealing Elon Musk's plan for 2024

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Frog Legs perk card. Requires 9 agility and can be purchased for 10 of the overseer points you get whenever you get a duplicate NW perk card from a pack.

Thank you. I haven't spent a lot of time in NW so I should probably look into that a bit more.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I knew getting that dumbass fruit hat way back at release was a good idea. That and the hootenanny suspenders, I sink right into the shrubbery.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
you might as well just do the photomode poses to glitch under the map at that point...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I get my 10 minutes and then I go run around making a target of myself. I just have a really good spot to hide for those 10 minutes. It's how I make up for time wasted trying to do NW dailies that are more annoying. And it gives me a dab break.

I'm not a big fan of the PUBG poo poo every game is doing, NW is a meh attempt at it and I only really bother for the daily challenge.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I knew getting that dumbass fruit hat way back at release was a good idea. That and the hootenanny suspenders, I sink right into the shrubbery.

The beekeeper hat from the current season is also MVP for hiding in bushes. That and some marine armour is perfect for ambushing people running from the storm.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm not a big fan of the PUBG poo poo every game is doing, NW is a meh attempt at it and I only really bother for the daily challenge.

why do you do it at all lmao. why on earth would you force yourself to do what is essentially a completely unnnecessary chore?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
"i dont like battle royals, and probably dont want to do pvp in fallout games at all, but I will force myself to do both of those things in order to get an extra 50 score points despite bethesda adding multiple weeks and extra challenges to the scoreboard because people were complaining about being forced to do daily nuclear winter challenges in order to get to complete the scoreboard"

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

i flunked out posted:

why do you do it at all lmao. why on earth would you force yourself to do what is essentially a completely unnnecessary chore?

It’s load into the game, hide in bush, maybe move to another bush, all while watching YouTube. Is it really that much of a chore?

Then again I’m not really interested in completing the scoreboard this season (or last really)

Though I still wonder why I play this dumb game. The thing I like the most is building bases and you just end up slamming your head against bug after bug.

I stopped playing after getting a bug where you can’t bring up your map (and therefore the main menu) forcing you to hard quit the game. Two times I ran into that bug so I just force quit and played something else. Frustrating.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It’s load into the game, hide in bush, maybe move to another bush, all while watching YouTube. Is it really that much of a chore?

the way people complain about it any time its brought up, yes, I'd say its a chore for bpeople. but once again, why are you even playing this completely unnecessary and voluntary mode if its nothing but an annoyance?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I just skip the NW challenges. Any of the big 4 events gives me way more XP, and in return SCORE, in less time.

That being said, I've just hit level 900 and level 87 on the scoreboard. Hurray for the global semiconductor shortage.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i flunked out posted:

the way people complain about it any time its brought up, yes, I'd say its a chore for bpeople. but once again, why are you even playing this completely unnecessary and voluntary mode if its nothing but an annoyance?

It's ten minutes I can take dabs and grab snacks while my character sits in a bush until it passes and I go run in the street in a bear costume or something. I don't care, and it moves me ever so slightly faster through the scoreboard. It's literally time I spend doing other things, like figuring out whatever music I want playing while I kill things, or rolling a joint or whatever. I've definitely wasted more time doing dumber things in other games.

I don't care for battle royale/pvp because I'm getting old, my reaction times are poo poo, and dying quick isn't fun. I like playing Hush style for that poo poo, because it is funny watching someone run right up to you and not realize it.

Also because motherfuckers only want to play Morgantown. I've played Flatwoods twice in the past month, that's it.

Just hit level 140 and 45 on scoreboard.

I've had one crash back to the xbox home since getting the S. The bulk of my crashing, lagging, and drops ended the minute I stopped playing on a first gen xbone. And it loads so much faster, no more popping up in foundations of peoples' bases.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 15, 2021

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

They want to play Morgantown because once you get the Aquaboy perk you can safely hide and idle underwater by the Dam and/or airport.

And the best part is you're rewarded more XP for idling than actively engaging in gameplay.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving hell, anything for an exploit. At least in the bushes, I still run a minor risk of being spotted, or having to un-rear end my spot if I get cut out of the first circle.

Solo'd a nuke today with relative ease. Joined a friend on his stab at it and ran into a lot more resistance, died several times, had two stimpaks left by the end. Still managed to get his nuke launched, but it took well over an hour. Just an endless parade of cloaked assaultrons compared to like, 6 total on the solo. I'm about double his level, so I didn't expect the trouble.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Solo'd a nuke today with relative ease. Joined a friend on his stab at it and ran into a lot more resistance, died several times, had two stimpaks left by the end. Still managed to get his nuke launched, but it took well over an hour. Just an endless parade of cloaked assaultrons compared to like, 6 total on the solo. I'm about double his level, so I didn't expect the trouble.

That's because enemy spawn rate is directly tied to how visible to the enemies OR the game you are.

If you are crouched, in Hidden and stationary you are invisible on the map and the game ignores you. No threat.

If you are crouched and in Hidden but moving you are not visible on the map or to the game. Enemy spawn rate is at a minimum as the game treats this as "minor threat".

If you are crouched and in Caution, you are not visible on the map but the game "knows" that something is going on and ups the spawn rate. "Medium threat".

If you are in Danger but remain crouched you are treated as above.

The above threat conditions can be used to cheese the silo. Once you've cleaned the room and started launch prep, go into Hidden and remain stationary. That way you get a single Assaultron and maybe 10 bots from the spawn directions for the entire duration of the launch prep phase.

If you break line of sight, as in you run somewhere only to crouch again, that's a high threat as you now appear on the map as well, if only momentarily.

If you go loud, as in no stealth and death to everything, you are both visible on the map and to the game. You are a major threat and the game will allow the spawn points to generate the maximum allowed.

Maximum allowed can be "abused" to solo Rad Rumble for maximum rewards.
Get a shotgun and cripple the ghouls so they can no longer run around. As long as they don't die, the game will NOT send in more as that would exceed the maximum allowed enemies, giving you enough time and space to collect ore, dump it and finish the event with a chance to get the best rewards.

This whole system is also the reason why going all stealth during the new Daily Ops, Decryption, is a bad idea. Even if you are a stealth build, you need to run for the game to recognize you are a more serious threat and spawn enemies faster. If you are in Hidden at all times and never run anywhere you'll have an extremely hard time getting it done in time.

Also of note, being on a team breaks full stealth. Even if you are in Hidden and stationary your teammates can still see you on the map. To the game you are a constant medium threat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That makes a lot of sense, thank you. I basically stealth armored my solo, but my friend isn't as... fond of slow walking everywhere. I'll pass that info along to him, too.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That makes a lot of sense, thank you. I basically stealth armored my solo, but my friend isn't as... fond of slow walking everywhere. I'll pass that info along to him, too.

Weapons also play a role in this. To check if your weapon is a loud one, or not, simply stealth your way to a turret, for example the one at West Tek, and fire a shot from stealth. Not at it, mind you. The wider the stealth bracket opens, the louder your weapon is. Works with Melee weapons as well.

Funny enough, the Flamer, it turns out, is a silent weapon.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I think when I get round to my Nuke launch to cap the game story off it'll be Chinese Stealth Suit + Sneak 3 + Speed Demon fast crouching, I have been using that combo to pick up on a bunch of Wasteland Photography and it lets you get ridiculously close to very big, angry things while only rarely even slipping in to wide-bracket [caution]

Related, I reluctantly put away my old faithful The Fixer last night after getting a half-decent legendary combat rifle roll - looked it up and the sneak speed bonus doesn't apply if you're running Speed Demon as you are already a the payer capped speed.

PIPE IS LIFE

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 15, 2021

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

Sensenmann posted:

That being said, I've just hit level 900 and level 87 on the scoreboard. Hurray for the global semiconductor shortage.

I've been playing this game since launch, doing every Season so far, and I'm still not sure how folks are able to move so quickly up the SCOREboard in a week or two. I'm guessing it's maxing out INT and experience gain and using the weekly EXP thing, but I haven't seen an explanation on how it goes. (Granted, the Fallout 76 community on places like Reddit seems to just be whiny nerds, so I haven't hung out in any spaces to see such an explanation.)

Also, how long did it takes you folks to get plans for the Crusader Pistol? I know they drop from Daily Ops but I haven't had luck finding one even after doing one a day. I managed to get the Hellfire Launcher fairly quick but I feel like that's the last rare reward I'm missing.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SetSliRol posted:

I've been playing this game since launch, doing every Season so far, and I'm still not sure how folks are able to move so quickly up the SCOREboard in a week or two. I'm guessing it's maxing out INT and experience gain and using the weekly EXP thing, but I haven't seen an explanation on how it goes. (Granted, the Fallout 76 community on places like Reddit seems to just be whiny nerds, so I haven't hung out in any spaces to see such an explanation.)

Also, how long did it takes you folks to get plans for the Crusader Pistol? I know they drop from Daily Ops but I haven't had luck finding one even after doing one a day. I managed to get the Hellfire Launcher fairly quick but I feel like that's the last rare reward I'm missing.

The plans from ops are stupid random. I do them daily as well and i only have 2 plans for the brotherhood armor. Plenty of loving caged light plans tho.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SetSliRol posted:

High intelligence, yes. I'll give you the rundown.

Your base intelligence (special points) should be 15.

Next, you want to be in a full set of Unyielding armor. That's another 15 intelligence on top, if you are at or below 20% health, and we are now at 30 Int. You can increase that even further if you, somehow, manage to roll ALL 5 Uny Armor pieces with the +1 Intelligence modifier. That's incredibly hard but, for completionist sake, I'll assume you did it and we are now at 35 Int.

Any Casual Underarmor with the Shielded Lining Mod adds another 3 Int and we are now at 38.

The Egg Head mutation adds another 6 Int. That's 44 Int.

The Herd Mentality mutation adds another 2, assuming you play on a team. We are now at 46 Int.

The Strange in Numbers perk buffs all your positive mutation effects by 25%, slot that in and Egg Head gives 8 instead of 6, Herd Mentality gives 3 instead of 2. You should use that perk at all times anyways.

With all that, we are now at 49 Int.

The Legendary Intelligence perk, if maxed out, gives another 5 and we are now at 54 Int.

Join a Casual public team. If you are fully bonded with the other 3 players on it that's another 4 Int and we are now at 58. For those who don't know, if you look at the team overview at the bottom left of the screen, the blue bar below their names is the bonding indicator.

That's the baseline for all players in a full Unyielding set.

For another 3 Int, slap in the Night Person perk although that only works between 6 pm and 6 am in game time.

That's a total of 61 Int, at night.

Since it ain't night all the time, the baseline for this will be 58.

Now for the part that requires some work and will NOT be permanent.

The Int Bobblehead gives another 2 Int for one hour. (2 hours if you use the Curator perk)

60 Int.

From this point on, I'll assume that you have either the Herbivore or the Carnivore mutation as that doubles the buff from food/drinks. You can only have one, pick the one that suits you best. Numbers in brackets are for those who refuse to play mutated.

Food. Brain Bombs OR Broiled Scorchbeast Brain give another 6 Int.

66 (63) Int.

Drinks. Steeped Aster Tea gives another 4.

70 (65) Int.

Drugs. Berry Mentats gives another 5 Int, for 5 minutes.

75 (70) Int.

Now for the part that might be problematic for some.

If you play with the Marsupial mutation, and let's be honest, who doesn't, that takes away 4 Int points. You have 4 options.

You deal with it.

If you want to max your Int at all costs you play without Marsupial for the time being.

Another option is taking the Marsupial serum to suppress the negative effect of it for 60 minutes. Serums are easy to craft for most high levels and they will happily sell you them for ~300-350 a pop. Or you craft them yourself, if you know the recipe and have the ingredients.

You slot in Class Freak. That does not negate all the negative side effects but it helps a lot and is, most likely, the best option. Marsupial now only takes away 1 Int.

For max gain I'll assume you slam serums and we are still at 75 Int. :)

However, this is only temporary and requires work, luck or ingredient farming. Plus, there are other things that can boost your XP gain.

The Leader Bobblehead gives you 5% more XP for 1 hour (2 with the Curator perk)

The Live and Love 8 magazine gives 5% more XP when you are on a team. For 1 hour.

Well Rested gives another 5% to XP for 3 hours.

Cranberry Relish OR Tasty Squirrel Stew give 10% more XP for 1 hour. With Strange in Number and the mutation it benefits from, Herbivore OR Carnivore, those will give you 25% more XP for 1 hour.

Important to know if you go all in on consumables:

Consumable will only stack if they buff DIFFERENT special stats or provide DIFFERENT effects.

Brain Bombs and Brain Fungus Soup, for example, both buff Intelligence. You can't eat both and get the benefit from both. The most recent one eaten is the one that counts, all others get overwritten. Since Brain Bombs are not exactly easy to craft you want to avoid mistakes like this.

Also, you can't take 10 of the same kind and get 10x the benefit. That just doesn't work, it will simply refresh the timer.
But, to the surprise of no one, it did work in the early days. People slammed Bobbleheads by the shedload and stacked the benefits so high they could level up by murdering a single radroach or disarming a tin can trap. Bethesda never changes. ;)

Anyways.

Personally, I roll with 53 Int because the +1 Int from the armor pieces is not even remotely as good as Increased AP refresh, +1 Agi or +1 Str as tier 2 modifier and, let's face it, it's incredibly hard to come by. Not impossible but improbable.

I'm also a Herbivore and have a steady supply of Brain Fungus Soup and Cranberry Relish on me. The latter gives me 25% more XP for 1 hour, the former 4 Int. Add Well Rested and Lunchboxes into the mix and that's good enough for me.

I save my Berry Mentats for Decryption DOs.

quote:

I think I got mine in the third week after they added the plans. It's completely random. Just keep doing the DOs, the plans for the armor and the new gear only drop once and get removed from the reward pool once you learn them so your chances of getting it will increase over time. The real problem is getting a version of the weapon you actually want. All these items dilute the possible event reward pool so getting a good roll will take ages. Or a lot of Luck. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. Weaponry is not even remotely as important as a good build.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

Sensenmann posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, and here I thought my ~25 INT was good enough. :stare: I didn't even think about half of that, like adding in Class Freak or the food bonuses. I'm going to work towards getting this all set up - by the time I'm there I'll probably be done with the season, but the rest are going to be easy enough. Thankfully I'm already at max Unyielding with a Bloodied build so that's one thing I can cross off.

Sensenmann posted:

I think I got mine in the third week after they added the plans. It's completely random. Just keep doing the DOs, the plans for the armor and the new gear only drop once and get removed from the reward pool once you learn them so your chances of getting it will increase over time. The real problem is getting a version of the weapon you actually want. All these items dilute the possible event reward pool so getting a good roll will take ages. Or a lot of Luck. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. Weaponry is not even remotely as important as a good build.

Yeah, I did have a feeling that it's just my luck. I think all I have left in my Daily Ops pool is just 4/5 of the BoS armor and the Pistol, at the least. I didn't know that every event has a similar pool, though. I don't think I'd have much else to get from them, at least? Man, I've played this game for so long but I honestly have no loving clue about the meta or half of the mechanics behind it. I don't know if that's super good or not but I suppose there's some benefits to being unburdened by Optimal Strats.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SetSliRol posted:

Yeah, I did have a feeling that it's just my luck. I think all I have left in my Daily Ops pool is just 4/5 of the BoS armor and the Pistol, at the least. I didn't know that every event has a similar pool, though. I don't think I'd have much else to get from them, at least? Man, I've played this game for so long but I honestly have no loving clue about the meta or half of the mechanics behind it. I don't know if that's super good or not but I suppose there's some benefits to being unburdened by Optimal Strats.

Most events share the same reward pool although the Public Events have special rewards or a higher drop chance for the good stuff.

All the Ultracite plans, for example, can only drop from Scorchbeasts. The Queen gives you the highest drop chance although there are 3-4 most people haven't seen yet despite being at or around my level. Calibrated Shocks, Targetting Hud, Welded Rebar and Emergency Protocols. Not the end of the world if you never get them to drop but if you want to be in Ultracite PA or in the Strangler Heart PA you want and need those. Not Welded Rebar, though. That just exists for who knows what reason.

Scorched Earth, Colossal Problem and Encryptid are, to my knowledge, the only events that have a guaranteed 3* drop at the end.

Encryptid can also give you the Fixer plan.

All Public Events give a chance at a 1-3* item from Mumbles Mystery Pick list. They also give treasury notes. 2 for the smaller one, 4 for Scorched Earth and 8 for Colossal Problem.

Daily OPs can also award treasury notes and a 1-3* Mystery Pick item. Plus a chance for the DO plans.

All other events give you random stuff, only rarely will you get a 3* item. Very rarely. They do all give a chance at rare cosmetic appareal items so, generally speaking, there is no reason to not do events.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sensenmann posted:

Your base intelligence (special points) should be 15.

Next, you want to be in a full set of Unyielding armor. That's another 15 intelligence on top, if you are at or below 20% health, and we are now at 30 Int. You can increase that even further if you, somehow, manage to roll ALL 5 Uny Armor pieces with the +1 Intelligence modifier. That's incredibly hard but, for completionist sake, I'll assume you did it and we are now at 35 Int.

Any Casual Underarmor with the Shielded Lining Mod adds another 3 Int and we are now at 38.

The Egg Head mutation adds another 6 Int. That's 44 Int.

The Herd Mentality mutation adds another 2, assuming you play on a team. We are now at 46 Int.

The Strange in Numbers perk buffs all your positive mutation effects by 25%, slot that in and Egg Head gives 8 instead of 6, Herd Mentality gives 3 instead of 2. You should use that perk at all times anyways.

With all that, we are now at 49 Int.

The Legendary Intelligence perk, if maxed out, gives another 5 and we are now at 54 Int.

Join a Casual public team. If you are fully bonded with the other 3 players on it that's another 4 Int and we are now at 58. For those who don't know, if you look at the team overview at the bottom left of the screen, the blue bar below their names is the bonding indicator.

That's the baseline for all players in a full Unyielding set.

For another 3 Int, slap in the Night Person perk although that only works between 6 pm and 6 am in game time.

That's a total of 61 Int, at night.

Since it ain't night all the time, the baseline for this will be 58.

Now for the part that requires some work and will NOT be permanent.

The Int Bobblehead gives another 2 Int for one hour. (2 hours if you use the Curator perk)

60 Int.

From this point on, I'll assume that you have either the Herbivore or the Carnivore mutation as that doubles the buff from food/drinks. You can only have one, pick the one that suits you best. Numbers in brackets are for those who refuse to play mutated.

Food. Brain Bombs OR Broiled Scorchbeast Brain give another 6 Int.

66 (63) Int.

Drinks. Steeped Aster Tea gives another 4.

70 (65) Int.

Drugs. Berry Mentats gives another 5 Int, for 5 minutes.

75 (70) Int.

Now for the part that might be problematic for some.

If you play with the Marsupial mutation, and let's be honest, who doesn't, that takes away 4 Int points. You have 4 options.

You deal with it.

If you want to max your Int at all costs you play without Marsupial for the time being.

Another option is taking the Marsupial serum to suppress the negative effect of it for 60 minutes. Serums are easy to craft for most high levels and they will happily sell you them for ~300-350 a pop. Or you craft them yourself, if you know the recipe and have the ingredients.

You slot in Class Freak. That does not negate all the negative side effects but it helps a lot and is, most likely, the best option. Marsupial now only takes away 1 Int.

For max gain I'll assume you slam serums and we are still at 75 Int. :)

However, this is only temporary and requires work, luck or ingredient farming. Plus, there are other things that can boost your XP gain.

The Leader Bobblehead gives you 5% more XP for 1 hour (2 with the Curator perk)

The Live and Love 8 magazine gives 5% more XP when you are on a team. For 1 hour.

Well Rested gives another 5% to XP for 3 hours.

Cranberry Relish OR Tasty Squirrel Stew give 10% more XP for 1 hour. With Strange in Number and the mutation it benefits from, Herbivore OR Carnivore, those will give you 25% more XP for 1 hour.

Important to know if you go all in on consumables:

Consumable will only stack if they buff DIFFERENT special stats or provide DIFFERENT effects.

Brain Bombs and Brain Fungus Soup, for example, both buff Intelligence. You can't eat both and get the benefit from both. The most recent one eaten is the one that counts, all others get overwritten. Since Brain Bombs are not exactly easy to craft you want to avoid mistakes like this.

Also, you can't take 10 of the same kind and get 10x the benefit. That just doesn't work, it will simply refresh the timer.
But, to the surprise of no one, it did work in the early days. People slammed Bobbleheads by the shedload and stacked the benefits so high they could level up by murdering a single radroach or disarming a tin can trap. Bethesda never changes. ;)

Anyways.

Personally, I roll with 53 Int because the +1 Int from the armor pieces is not even remotely as good as Increased AP refresh, +1 Agi or +1 Str as tier 2 modifier and, let's face it, it's incredibly hard to come by. Not impossible but improbable.

I'm also a Herbivore and have a steady supply of Brain Fungus Soup and Cranberry Relish on me. The latter gives me 25% more XP for 1 hour, the former 4 Int. Add Well Rested and Lunchboxes into the mix and that's good enough for me.

I save my Berry Mentats for Decryption DOs.

Wow have I been playing the game wrong, lol.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I don't take it anywhere near that serious, I'm just plucking along finding new poo poo occasionally. I shelved it for a long time after release like a lot of other people, and honestly, kinda refreshing to just stumble into things at my own pace, now that it's expanded content significantly. I haven't even bothered with the bunkers. Didn't start using marsupial until a week or two ago when I found a guy selling them for 100 caps. Bought all 25 in the machine, he came around and reloaded it with 50 more immediately after.

I'm glad the game actually works now, for the most part, for most every kind of player.

I've been haphazardly working on tadpole and possum badges, that poo poo has me entertained enough to fill the gaps between events and daily challenges and waiting on people to start the drat daily ops.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Wow have I been playing the game wrong, lol.

Nah, not really. This is all about gaining max XP and knocking out the season as fast as possible, level up a toon or level up yourself to rank up Legendary perks faster.
I would not, ever, recommend that anyone do this forever as it has downsides.

Plus, the higher level you get, the more XP you need to actually level up.
Or in other words, once you have a build you are pleased with the last thing you want is levelling up fast as the XP table is not linear.
It's always, from level 2 and up, current level XP plus 160. You start at level 1 and need 200 to the next. Level 3 is 360, 4 is 520, 5 is 680, 6 is 840, and so on.

It flattens out at level 1000 and by then you'll need a little over 165.570 XP to level up. Every single time.

I'm now level 902. So far I've gained over 67 million XP. :)

As soon as I'm done with the season I'll hop back into my Heavy PA build. It's way more relaxing anyways.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

With the change to respeccing the only real gain for higher levels is grinding coins to upgrade Legendary perks. And I suppose the first lvl 300 on your account to unlock all of the LP slots.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like the legendary perks though are kind of a big deal and are what really make builds click. Because of this you need tons of perk points (levels) to make multiple builds worthwhile.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like the legendary perks though are kind of a big deal and are what really make builds click. Because of this you need tons of perk points (levels) to make multiple builds worthwhile.

Personally I think that the LPs benefit PA players the most. They are great for non PA builds as well but for PA builds you're basically turning on god mode.

However, unless you are Melee or Unarmed, Ammo Factory is the first LP to level up. Crafting ammo by the truckload is absolutely amazing.

10 of them can be easily ignored.

Blood Sacrifice - Effects are too weak to justify a slot.

Brawling Chemist - Useless, drugs are easy to get.

Collateral Damage - The explosion is good for riot control but that's about it.

Detonation Contagion - Who uses grenades?

Far Flung Fireworks - Too situational to be of use.

Master Infiltrator - There aren't a lot of terminals/doors in this game to begin with and the only ones that matter are in the silo and skippable by using the photomode glitch. It's a nice to have QoL perk but it's, imo, not worth the slot.

Legendary Charisma - It might be bugged but the extra points don't count for the "3 points in Charisma to share 1 perk card" requirement. It just doesn't work.

Power Armor Reboot - It's already hard to die in PA and if you do, so what? If you die too often, though, your build is crap.

Power Sprinter - Just eat honey to restore AP.

Retribution - Effects are way too low to justify a slot.

All others are good to excellent.

Some might argue that Survival Shortcut is useless as well since food or water are basically everywhere but it also serves as Disease Cure and Stimpack. While non of that makes it essential I like that I can ditch 2 QoL perks when I use this in my lazy PA build. Carrying no healing items or food/drinks frees up 6 perk points I can use otherwise. ;)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Legendary Crafting is up on the PTS. There is a lot of bitching going on already as it's, to the surprise of no one, grindy but the main problem seems to be that you can't reroll an item for better second and third star effects. It rerolls the entire thing, including the first star.

Not sure what people expected, to be honest. If you could freely reroll for better 2nd and 3rd star effects the whole thing would be old news in a month, tops.

Besides, I absolutely love that we can now have legendary PA.

Also, you all might want to stock up on Legendary modules.

Rolling a 3 star costs 4 modules and 1 3* core.

You get cores from public events, seasonal events and daily ops.

I wouldn't sweat it, especially not since we have months before 4* Legendaries get introduced and things start to become really interesting again.

Oh and stay away from FO76 on Reddit. Jesus christ, these people are all a bunch of whiny rear end chucklefucks...

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 16, 2021