Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Powershift posted:

I'm not forgetting, but it's already 2021, Auto loans are hitting 7-8 years, and manufacturers and municipalities are pushing their timelines for full-electric/ICE bans to 2030.

You don't need to plug in at night. There will be charging stations everywhere. V3 Tesla superchargers can ad 100 miles in 7 minutes. Solid state batteries are coming, battery prices are dropping.

The clock is ticking.

It’s ticking a low slower than some people think. There are still going to be a lot of new cars with ICE engines being bought in 2030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

If you have a car there, it's because you have a dedicated parking lot

this is 100% not true fyi

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yea, plenty of places where new condos and apartments are going up with limited or no dedicated parking.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

ive talked to several coworkers now who have mentioned that they saw "a new bronco" on the road and they were disappointed in how poo poo it looked, didnt live up to their expectation, etc

so ive gotten some practice explaining that the one they saw was the bad one, and the one they're thinking of isn't out yet

basically it's going to warp everyones expectations unless they are really paying attention, and many people are going to write off "the new bronco" as being ugly, awkwardly-proportioned jank

i guess you could say that those people werent going to buy one anyway, but public perception can be important wrt brand image

This reminds me of the Mitsu Lancer before the US got the Evo. By the time the real thing got here they'd already made some dumb OZ package for the shitbox version and friends asked me would you care about this turd?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Who is street parking overnight in a city center? Your poo poo would get towed immediately. You need to pay monthly if you're going to own a car and live downtown in a major city.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mcqueen posted:

This reminds me of the Mitsu Lancer before the US got the Evo. By the time the real thing got here they'd already made some dumb OZ package for the shitbox version and friends asked me would you care about this turd?

The OZ edition had cool wheels BUT REAR DRUMS! Come on. I don't mind rear drums but it was supposed to be a sporty "rally edition" and it had lightweight wheels so you could see them easily. Not like Mitsubishi didn't have a brake package they could put on there easily :rolleyes:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Who is street parking overnight in a city center? Your poo poo would get towed immediately. You need to pay monthly if you're going to own a car and live downtown in a major city.

People who live there? Depends on city though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

I'm not forgetting, but it's already 2021, Auto loans are hitting 7-8 years, and manufacturers and municipalities are pushing their timelines for full-electric/ICE bans to 2030.

You don't need to plug in at night. There will be charging stations everywhere. V3 Tesla superchargers can ad 100 miles in 7 minutes. Solid state batteries are coming, battery prices are dropping.

The clock is ticking.

Not even close. We'll be in dome cities before we're 90% electric in the US.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm not even saying this as a car enthusiast, just as a general consumer. I don't see myself paying more than 10K for a car, ever, unless I hit the lottery or get a significantly better paying job, which might as well be hitting the lottery at this point. Even if new cars end up all electric in a decade, it's going to take some time for those to work their way down the used market to where I can afford one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

Cars (almost all of them) are so much insanely better than they were in the 80s and 90s . Those were dire times.

You spelled worse bitchin wrong

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm not even saying this as a car enthusiast, just as a general consumer. I don't see myself paying more than 10K for a car, ever, unless I hit the lottery or get a significantly better paying job, which might as well be hitting the lottery at this point. Even if new cars end up all electric in a decade, it's going to take some time for those to work their way down the used market to where I can afford one.

I got one for $13k. It has an EPA range of 93 miles, however. :P Leafs are cheaper though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Charles posted:

The OZ edition had cool wheels BUT REAR DRUMS! Come on. I don't mind rear drums but it was supposed to be a sporty "rally edition" and it had lightweight wheels so you could see them easily. Not like Mitsubishi didn't have a brake package they could put on there easily :rolleyes:

oz edition was just a car to sell to people with poo poo credit scores and bad taste

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

oz edition was just a car to sell to people with poo poo credit scores and bad taste

Yeah but they still could have at least put rear discs to look good.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

As Nero Danced posted:

I can picture used electric cars at sub $10k prices behaving like 4 year old iphones that need constant plugging in as their battery reads 90% -> 1% in the span of 5 minutes of use. Or RC cars with a spanked NiCd battery that will only do a surface charge anymore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BloodBag posted:

I can picture used electric cars at sub $10k prices behaving like 4 year old iphones that need constant plugging in as their battery reads 90% -> 1% in the span of 5 minutes of use. Or RC cars with a spanked NiCd battery that will only do a surface charge anymore.

Aren't Nissan Leafs supposed to be surprisingly good electric cars for <10k?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Residency Evil posted:

Aren't Nissan Leafs supposed to be surprisingly good electric cars for <10k?

Yeah, but you may have to ship one to get one.

There was a 3 or 4 year stretch where Georgia accidentally subsidized Leaf leases to where they cost less than $60/mo to lease, so Georgia is drowning in cheap leafs of all types.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Powershift posted:

The clock is ticking.

You realize how hilariously unsustainable fast charging is right?

Fast charging kills batteries. You are absolutely not meant to use it as your primary means of charging and even Tesla admits as much. If you overuse it, you can get locked off from using fast charging on their network specifically because they don't want you burning out your battery. I've seen some folks on reddit reporting that in as little as 4000 miles even.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Charging my previous iPhone at 15w every night killed the battery in a year.

I put my new one on a 5w charger and in 6 months it has less than a quarter of the battery wear.

Fast charging is not good unless you need quick juice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Laserface posted:

Charging my previous iPhone at 15w every night killed the battery in a year.

Then you had a defective phone. 15w isn't even "fast" by phone charging standards and hasn't been for a few years. I used a phone that I changed daily at 30w and it had no measurable battery degradation within a year.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I don't see electric cars being anything more than a novelty in our lifetimes. Gas is still too plentiful and cheap. The insane amount of gas stations and the speedy filling up is going to deter most people from wanting an EV and I just don't see that changing.

This might be a stupid question but wasn't somebody working on a kind of synthetic fuel?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not to make too much of a bong rip hot take but surely there needs to be a standard form factor battery and some procedure for swapping them out at a changing station rather then recharging them while you wait? No? How else is it ever going to be as fast as gas?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You slow charge your EV overnight while you are sleeping that's the point.

If you're driving long distances which requires a fillup/recharge an EV is probably not for you.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not to make too much of a bong rip hot take but surely there needs to be a standard form factor battery and some procedure for swapping them out at a changing station rather then recharging them while you wait? No? How else is it ever going to be as fast as gas?

Tesla experimented with swapping batteries out and decided it just wasn't feasible.

My first thought is that it seems like you'd need some really sophisticated machinery to account for poo poo drivers. But I suppose if people can manage to get into the rails for an automated car wash then I don't know why swappable batteries can't be achieved. Maybe the limitation is designing the car to be safe for driving conditions while also being swappable? :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

This might be a stupid question but wasn't somebody working on a kind of synthetic fuel?

There are several already, Germany infamously had several plants in WW2 since they have a lot of coal and little oil. The economics and overall emissions currently make them a poor choice but that will certainly change over time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You slow charge your EV overnight while you are sleeping that's the point.

If you're driving long distances which requires a fillup/recharge an EV is probably not for you.

Not everyone lives in a place where this is feasible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

Not everyone lives in a place where this is feasible.

Then an EV is not for them

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Then an EV is not for them

So how exactly are they going to enforce the "all new cars must be electric" laws then? That's what started the conversation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are a lot of other issues than the physical act of swapping.

How are you accounting for battery degradation? Do you allow someone with a 10 year old ev on it's original pack come in and swap for one that has more capacity?

But it's more of a logistical issue. How many packs can you keep on hand? How can you CHARGE that many packs at once without needing a whole substation to yourself?

You cannot approach "refueling" with the same mindset as gas. You need to have as much range as you would normally drive in a day and then have the ability to reclaim that range at home overnight (or at work, or at your various destinations throughout the day.)

Longer trips require more planning but unless you are swapping out drivers, you shouldn't be driving more than 4-5 hours at a time anyways without taking an hour or two break so that problem mostly solves itself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

So how exactly are they going to enforce the "all new cars must be electric" laws then? That's what started the conversation.

Oh, well I guess they'll have to start putting charging stations everywhere then, on the side of the streets like parking meters. I mean I don't see how they are going to be able to put in that kind of law without the infrastructure to support it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, well I guess they'll have to start putting charging stations everywhere then, on the side of the streets like parking meters. I mean I don't see how they are going to be able to put in that kind of law without the infrastructure to support it.

This is America, where passing a federal budget doesn't automatically imply authorizing the government to pay for said budget. You know exactly what will happen.

KillHour posted:

Municipalities are going to play dumb about infrastructure until the very last second and then everyone is going to cry that it's impossible and there's no money.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Sab669 posted:

Tesla experimented with swapping batteries out and decided it just wasn't feasible.

My first thought is that it seems like you'd need some really sophisticated machinery to account for poo poo drivers. But I suppose if people can manage to get into the rails for an automated car wash then I don't know why swappable batteries can't be achieved. Maybe the limitation is designing the car to be safe for driving conditions while also being swappable? :shrug:

The automated battery swap was a stunt that earned them more ZEV credits. Tesla sells ZEV credits to other manufacturers that those manufacturers use to offset sales of gas vehicles. Zero emission cars that could be refueled very quickly, like fuel cells, earned a LOT more credits than electric vehicles that needed slow charging. Those qualifications changed, so the credits went away, and Tesla decided to focus on other things.

quote:

ZEV credits are earned in a complicated way. The California Air Resources Board categorizes vehicles based on their range and the time it takes to refuel them.

A Type 2 vehicle, for example, is one that can go 100 miles of zero-emissions driving, but cannot be refueled in a hurry. A Type 5 vehicle is one that can go 300 miles of zero-emission driving and can be refueled in under 15 minutes.

Automakers earn three credits for the sale of each Type 2 vehicle, the air resources board says -- like a Nissan Leaf. But they earn nine credits for the sale of each Type 5 vehicle -- like a Hyundai Tucson or Honda Clarity hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

Under earlier state regulations, Tesla Model S sedans, depending on their battery size, were Type 4 and 5 vehicles. The company was earning from five to nine credits per vehicle sold.

But the air resources board changed its regulations for the 2014 model year. (These will affect 2015 vehicles as well.) The Model S was downgraded to a Type 3, earning only four credits per car sale, after the state organization began issuing the fast-refueling extra credit on the basis of “actual fueling events,” board officers said.

“A manufacturer must apply [to the Air Resources Board] for the credits, and must document the refueling event to qualify,” said Elise Kiddie, manager of the board’s zero-emission vehicle implementation section.

When it comes to battery swaps, the regulations get even more complicated. Under current rules, a single vehicle can earn credits for an entire fleet. One Model S can undergo 25 battery changes, and that battery swap credit can be used to apply to a total of 25 vehicles -- each one theoretically earning up to nine ZEV credits -- as long as all the other 24 vehicles are “fast refueling capable,” Kiddie said.

The agency’s stipulations will change in 2018. After that, credits will be assessed on the basis of range alone. Manufacturers will not earn extra points for fast refueling capability or actual fast refueling events.

Full article: https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-battery-swap-harris-ranch-20150310-story.html

The side effect of raising awareness of the brand and more juicy VC money didn’t hurt either.

Doesn’t mean it’s not viable, just means Tesla had other intentions when they prototyped it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

This is America, where passing a federal budget doesn't automatically imply authorizing the government to pay for said budget. You know exactly what will happen.

Not really, I can't see into the future but my guess is "all new cars must be electric" isn't going to happen until after I'm dead

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

So America, then.

My commute is about 30 miles each way, so I could do it day-to-day. But I sometimes go to Chicago (100 miles one way) for a day trip, or Indy (150 miles) or further for a day trip. I know I'm not alone. Nobody is going to want to buy a car that prohibits them from doing something like that easily.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I rarely do more than 60 miles per day... But then 4-6x a year I do 450 miles from Buffalo to Boston. I guess you could say, "well just rent a gas car then" but it's lovely to add a couple hundred bucks for a week trip to visit my parents.

They seem like a great second car for your typical 2-car household, but mandating them for everyone has some big limitations as of right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Day trips like that shouldn't be an issue. The first one is attainable with zero charging from a wide range of EVs out there now. The 2nd one would just require a partial destination charge so unless you are driving around Indy the entire time you are there, you could easily do that.

And that's now, not 10 years from now and not 20 years from now when the gasoline powered used market is starting to show its age.

(Also, insert semi-serious joke about this all being academic because in 20 years time the chances that a day trip to Indy will be high on your list of priorities will be remote. I mean, for fucks sake, that's like 5 election cycles away. I'm not convinced we'll even survive the next one.)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Model 3 Long Range goes about 340-350, how long does it take to add that extra 100 miles of charging if you're trying to avoid fast charging?

I guess "Deal with the extra 30 minutes", but man when you're spending 6+ hours on lovely rear end I-90... You just wanna gently caress get there. Especially with 2 dogs in the back seat.

Only like 240 miles in the Bolt / Leaf. I don't even know what else is out there. e; similar range in the Kona too.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 14, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Part of that is a whole other argument because you aren't going to find much resistance from me for forcing a driver who has been on the road for 6 hours off of it for a little extra rest.

Maybe instead of asking how to do these 600 mile drives in one go, we should be asking IF we should be doing them all in one go.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ishikabibble posted:

You realize how hilariously unsustainable fast charging is right?

Fast charging kills batteries. You are absolutely not meant to use it as your primary means of charging and even Tesla admits as much. If you overuse it, you can get locked off from using fast charging on their network specifically because they don't want you burning out your battery. I've seen some folks on reddit reporting that in as little as 4000 miles even.

Please don't spread misinformation. Tesla will happily let you supercharge all day, if you're paying for it. They just didn't want people with the original unlimited plans using it all the time.

I'm addition, any water cooled battery and it's not a huge deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9VxDzr7prc

Please stop repeating what your "Uncle From Nintendo" said. What is this, a bunch of loving boomers?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

So America, then.

My commute is about 30 miles each way, so I could do it day-to-day. But I sometimes go to Chicago (100 miles one way) for a day trip, or Indy (150 miles) or further for a day trip. I know I'm not alone. Nobody is going to want to buy a car that prohibits them from doing something like that easily.

Maybe, but you're painting with a broad brush, there are plenty of people in America that don't even come close to driving that much. If you take lots of day trips and don't want to stop to charge up then don't buy an EV.

If EVs happen go into law in your area then I guess you don't have much of a choice :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If EVs happen go into law in your area then I guess you don't have much of a choice :shrug:

EVs going into law in America? :lol:

I would put a large, large amount of money into this not happening in our lifetime. Maybe nudges and manufacturer incentives like CAFE, but nothing like a mandate.