Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

yeah charlie bronx got dis, giving chandler the shot seems more and more ridiculous the more they try to build it and i really hope he loses because i would much rather see bronx defend the title against gaethje and dustin who feel like much more worthy challengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My money is on chuckles but Chandler isn't a great match up for him. He could for sure bank the early rounds.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Embeddeds are just all about Chandler so far. They're really trying to get him over.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BlindSite posted:

My money is on chuckles but Chandler isn't a great match up for him. He could for sure bank the early rounds.

i think if olives doesn't get perforated by a big overhand off an entry in rounds 1-2 he'll probably win. though imo there's a much higher chance of that happening than i would like to. chandler is really loving fast. heavy hands compared him to dan henderson which seems like a really apt comparison - he's got a sparse toolkit of extremely dangerous weapons and he's very good at figuring out how to use them against specific opponents.

but if it goes past the first two i don't think chandler will be able to explode into range effectively. if he takes oliveira down his top game has never been much more than a stalling tactic which i really don't think will work against oliveira. he'll just eat offense from range until he crumbles or goes for a bad shot or loses a decision. hopefully :pray:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skjorte posted:

Rothwell's replacement opponent is now being replaced with HUGGY BEAR(!). Last time I paid attention to him he was a super-heavyweight, but apparently he's been making the heavyweight limit for a while now.

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1392678007870009344

I saw Chris Barnett fight at a Road FC here in Korea. He's a huge guy.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Not sure if this was posted yet, but Weidman will be sharing his recovery through videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiigzziR2D0

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Not sure if this was posted yet, but Weidman will be sharing his recovery through videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiigzziR2D0

"There's been three leg breaks in the history of the UFC and now I'm part of two of them" OOF

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

mewse posted:

"There's been three leg breaks in the history of the UFC and now I'm part of two of them" OOF

The other two were fighters who were never the same again, one of whom died young. Chris should probably definitely stop fighting

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

reeg posted:

The other two were fighters who were never the same again, one of whom died young. Chris should probably definitely stop fighting

Who's the third?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Brut posted:

Who's the third?

Corey Hill. He was on Ultimate Fighter.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Corey Hill. He was on Ultimate Fighter.

He was also the first. Seeing Weidman break himself wasn't that bad, but that's only because of the shock of seeing Hill's leg break.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When Tyrone Spong broke his leg his facial expression was like "oh bother."

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Foul Fowl posted:

chucky olives is gonna gently caress chandler up.

i hope so. chandler blocked me on twitter when he said he was fighting to represent the "stars and bars" and i told him that was the name of the confederate flag lol

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

brian posted:

yeah charlie bronx got dis, giving chandler the shot seems more and more ridiculous the more they try to build it and i really hope he loses because i would much rather see bronx defend the title against gaethje and dustin who feel like much more worthy challengers

How do you guys think Chucky matches up with Justin and Dustin? Both seem to be too durable for him and too hard hitting. Perhaps a wrestling victory in the match against Justin but Dustin would probably dust Oliviera.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Eat This Glob posted:

i hope so. chandler blocked me on twitter when he said he was fighting to represent the "stars and bars" and i told him that was the name of the confederate flag lol

lmao, y'all think that was him genuinely being that ignorant or was it a dog whistle thing?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

representing the confederate flag yet also an icon of black history month. a man of many contrasts

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

makes u think

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Some incredible drip in the co-main event

Pictures from the instagram account Dapper Scrappers. Joe Benevidez' account about fighter's fashion.

Flaskraven fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 14, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

drat, Ferguson looks like poo poo.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9XDAuiu3U

lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Nis posted:

lmao, y'all think that was him genuinely being that ignorant or was it a dog whistle thing?

i think he was just that ignorant. he said lots of patriotic american people called the us flag the stars and bars and i asked who and he blocked me :shrug:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

drat, Ferguson looks like poo poo.

He is cutting weight.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Flaskraven posted:

How do you guys think Chucky matches up with Justin and Dustin? Both seem to be too durable for him and too hard hitting. Perhaps a wrestling victory in the match against Justin but Dustin would probably dust Oliviera.

I think it's a different fight than either of them have had before and IMO charles has looked like just a better tony ferguson in a lot of ways, his standup reached incredible levels of clean vs tony and he has the best bjj in the ufc at this point, mostly because of his ability to get an insane amount of sub attempts (e.g. getting into a position where its possible) in each fight, but yeah I don't think he has tony's durability and neither justin nor dustin go down remotely easily. I think fighters who have strong BJJ and striking but less strong wrestling inherently make a lot of good to watch matchups too

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BlindSite posted:

He is cutting weight.

I know and people that cut a lot tend to look like poo poo. Hate it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

BlindSite posted:

He is cutting weight.

Oliviera also looked like death and was wearing a really weirdly poor fitting suit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

When Tyrone Spong broke his leg his facial expression was like "oh bother."

This is the most viscerally terrifying thing I've seen in combat sports. It's one thing to see a horrifying injury. It's another for the fighter who suffered it to give a 'ah, shucks. what can you do?' shrug to the ref and his opponent. Spong is something else.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So I’m looking at Conor on social media, and erm, shouldn’t he be in camp now? He seems to be hanging out in Dubai doing some light workouts at best.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Obliviously his loss was just a fluke, he’s working on checking legs kkicks cause obv that’s the only reason the 1-2 lightweight GOAT lightweight lost

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

brian posted:

I think it's a different fight than either of them have had before and IMO charles has looked like just a better tony ferguson in a lot of ways, his standup reached incredible levels of clean vs tony and he has the best bjj in the ufc at this point, mostly because of his ability to get an insane amount of sub attempts (e.g. getting into a position where its possible) in each fight, but yeah I don't think he has tony's durability and neither justin nor dustin go down remotely easily. I think fighters who have strong BJJ and striking but less strong wrestling inherently make a lot of good to watch matchups too

I think if Oliveira can get Dustin to the ground, he can take it. Might not have as easy of a time as Khabib, but I think he has the skills to get a tap.

Not sure about Justin. I feel like he's a slightly bigger threat to Charles' standup style with disciplined low kicks and being ready for a reaction single, but might be easier to capitalize on on the ground.

In any case, let's get these fights going cuz I wanna watch them.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
A lot of people itt acting like Chandler losing is a sure thing...

Also,

brian posted:

IMO charles...has the best bjj in the ufc at this point

I wouldn't say I agree with this, but I don't practice BJJ so I also don't know who else I would put forward as #1 lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lmao. it's so hosed up that tony is never gonna win the big belt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Screama posted:

I wouldn't say I agree with this, but I don't practice BJJ so I also don't know who else I would put forward as #1 lol

Even if we go quantitatively, he has more submission wins, and more wins by different submissions than any other fighter in UFC history. You can look at someone like Diego Ferreira who is a 3rd degree black belt or whatever, but he only has two submission wins. There are tons of BJJ heroes who come to MMA and just don't put their grappling together for MMA and end up winging hooks like bums or gassing out and getting subbed by nobodies etc. Qualitatively, he takes dudes down, controls them, chews them up, and takes them out with an extremely diverse game of attacks. It's loving awesome.

I rarely try to single out the absolute #1 in any qualitative category, but the only other fighters who come to mind who are on Do Bronx's level for (modern) MMA submission grappling results are Maia and Werdum.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I saw somebody in a Wanderlei shirt at the store yesterday. It appeared to be vintage. That was odd.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

That's a drat good soundbite

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Foul Fowl posted:

lmao. it's so hosed up that tony is never gonna win the big belt.

He’s a fun fighter and that is truly a great line, but I think he’s also a big obnoxious dipshit. I feel like this is a relatively uncommon take though, so it may just be some unconscious bias of mine. I’ve tried to cut the guy some slack since he’s clearly got mental health problems, but he can be an awful rear end in a top hat at times. In that presser, he was mouthing off about how he’s going to slam Dariush and how he slammed one of his students and broke their rib, like that’s something to be bragging about.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CommonShore posted:

Even if we go quantitatively, he has more submission wins, and more wins by different submissions than any other fighter in UFC history. You can look at someone like Diego Ferreira who is a 3rd degree black belt or whatever, but he only has two submission wins. There are tons of BJJ heroes who come to MMA and just don't put their grappling together for MMA and end up winging hooks like bums or gassing out and getting subbed by nobodies etc. Qualitatively, he takes dudes down, controls them, chews them up, and takes them out with an extremely diverse game of attacks. It's loving awesome.

I rarely try to single out the absolute #1 in any qualitative category, but the only other fighters who come to mind who are on Do Bronx's level for (modern) MMA submission grappling results are Maia and Werdum.

this post made me realize how much i want to see gillespie vs. oliveira.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

He’s a fun fighter and that is truly a great line, but I think he’s also a big obnoxious dipshit. I feel like this is a relatively uncommon take though, so it may just be some unconscious bias of mine. I’ve tried to cut the guy some slack since he’s clearly got mental health problems, but he can be an awful rear end in a top hat at times. In that presser, he was mouthing off about how he’s going to slam Dariush and how he slammed one of his students and broke their rib, like that’s something to be bragging about.

he pretty much is a big obnoxious dipshit. but he's a weird and funny one with an incredibly cool way of fighting who had an amazing streak of wins and all out action fights.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Brut posted:

Click here to make your UFC 262 picks

Click here to view your UFC 262 picks

As always, please let me know if something seems wrong with the form or results.

Don't be that person who forgets to make their goonweight picks until it's too late.

It's me, I was that person :smith:

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Oh for sure. He was the heel of his season of TUF, making fun of Ramsey Nijem's recently dead dad (or grandfather? can't remember), then easily beating Ramsey in the finals. I remember being pumped when Michael Johnson beat Tony. Then Tony's fight style because so aggro and fun that it became basically impossible for me to root against him, but that doesn't make him not an obnoxious dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can spot Nunes' answers
https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1393250065909694464/photo/1