Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Monkey posted:

Counseling, specifically CBT, is intensely useful. Good luck weird brain buddy.

Its like 1:30 - 1:20 brains.

It's more weird to have the cilantro soap genes.

We're not that weird. We just live in a society that's perfectly happy doing the same loving thing at the same time every day forever and that is hell for people whose entire genetic code is wired to ask "what the gently caress is this and what happens if I gently caress with it? Let me think about all the other poo poo I noticed about it..."

Not taken that way! Sorry my wife is trying to get me to not say poo poo like stupid or crazy about myself and by extension I've been a little more reactive when I hear stuff like that from other Brains, because I want a future where people learn about their differences positively.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 10:00 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

We're not that weird. We just live in a society that's perfectly happy doing the same loving thing at the same time every day forever and that is hell for people whose entire genetic code is wired to ask "what the gently caress is this and what happens if I gently caress with it? Let me think about all the other poo poo I noticed about it..."

Sure, it wasn't intended as a slam. Just a shared issue camaraderie type deal.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I just want to thank this thread for reminding me that I needed to contact the MH facility I was referred to so that I could get an appointment for an ADD evaluation.

And to add to the chorus, a really big percentage of my depression and anxiety is related to "why can't I focus on anything long enough to get something done?".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I just want to thank this thread for reminding me that I needed to contact the MH facility I was referred to so that I could get an appointment for an ADD evaluation.

And to add to the chorus, a really big percentage of my depression and anxiety is related to "why can't I focus on anything long enough to get something done?".

Good luck!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hi i am also a goon who has brain problems but was highly intelligent and managed to skip through grade school until hitting the wall in higher ed and is now a total wreck thanks for listening

anyway, this is a bit weird: we have a word in most of the continental germanic languages, spygat which literally means "spew-hole". in Denmark we use it for the tube/hole that lets water run off the deck of a ship, i guess the specific word for that in english is "scupper".

but it strikes me as very similar to the english word spigot, but dictionaries talk about latin and occitan, but completly ignore the north sea! wtf?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Carthag Tuek posted:

hi i am also a goon who has brain problems but was highly intelligent and managed to skip through grade school until hitting the wall in higher ed and is now a total wreck thanks for listening

anyway, this is a bit weird: we have a word in most of the continental germanic languages, spygat which literally means "spew-hole". in Denmark we use it for the tube/hole that lets water run off the deck of a ship, i guess the specific word for that in english is "scupper".

but it strikes me as very similar to the english word spigot, but dictionaries talk about latin and occitan, but completly ignore the north sea! wtf?

It is very similar in spelling! But weirdly, it genuinely does seem to be completely different; in English, the word originally meant "something that plugs a hole", and it was only in Appalachian English - which later spread to the rest of the US, and then the UK and further abroad - that it started to mean "something that plugs a hole and that you can use to control the flow". English "spigot" - which is often pronounced, and sometimes spelled, "spicket" - is actually quite closely related to "spike".

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I only figured out the ADD thing when I hit grad school and just couldn't focus on my thesis to an extent that scared me, until I started taking way too much claritin D (with nice stimulating sudafed) to treat an undiagnosed red meat allergy and noticed I suddenly had no problem initializing work. It made an awful lot of things make an awful lot more sense in hindsight, like why I always felt constantly of the loop on basic logistical information at school or my almost-crippling messiness. Also why my dad and great uncles both have many of the same struggles*. Now I'm self employed and make my own hours which helps a bit.

*one great uncle who is a professor once got an urgent call from a new colleague that his office had been ransacked. When he got there it was just the way he'd left it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It is very similar in spelling! But weirdly, it genuinely does seem to be completely different; in English, the word originally meant "something that plugs a hole", and it was only in Appalachian English - which later spread to the rest of the US, and then the UK and further abroad - that it started to mean "something that plugs a hole and that you can use to control the flow". English "spigot" - which is often pronounced, and sometimes spelled, "spicket" - is actually quite closely related to "spike".

the english etymology is weak as hell, it only accounts for half of the word

to add: my butt is a gat, and i will spew via my gat into the dictionary

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Therapy is great, can very much recommend. Meditation also helped me a lot, as training in how to just calm down and not think about everything all the time. And if you've got meds that are working for you: hell yeah!

Also

Len posted:

I'm hoping this screws with my ability to multitask and they cut my workload back to two people. I really hate that after x years of my account being two people they went "Len can do both halves on his own!"
"Len" happens to be my name, and so I often get confused by your posts, but particularly here before I realised I hadn't replied to myself to refer to myself by name :D

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hyper Len X

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Haha, that's actually pretty good! :D

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: people claim to post ellipses…

but actually post three periods...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

There is an ongoing stylistic debate on that, if I recall when I looked it up earlier.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you post three periods, you have to follow it with six spaces...      That’s just science.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I am fat... and sassy!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

When you post three periods, you have to follow it with six spaces...      That’s just science.

Four periods and seven spaces....       whatcha gonna do about it? :c00lbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Actually. . . shouldn't each period have two spaces individually?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I'm Canadian, "three periods" is my cultural heritage

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Same here, bud.

I got wicked depression and anxiety but have just enough coping mechanisms to make me seem normal, if kinda weird. The central issue I have with myself is that I can hold down a job just fine (because if I don't I will die) but can't do much else. No reading, no drawing, nothing that enriches myself.
Video games are all I sink my time in to because it's the only thing that will shut my brain mostly off.

My therapist doesn't think I have AD(H)D but she and a few people in my life has wondered out loud if I'm autistic. I don't really give a poo poo at this point. I'm surviving and ten years ago I thought that would be impossible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phy posted:

I'm Canadian, "three periods" is my cultural heritage

Also, to comply with quebecois regulations: les punctums trois

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Warcraft II had a secret song that I somehow had never heard until today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQ36ixLeq8

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat you're lucky that song's great

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Garrand posted:

Warcraft II had a secret song that I somehow had never heard until today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQ36ixLeq8

It's a remix of an existing track in the game. Sounds suspicious....

Haha, holy crap!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

StarCraft also has one

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Not a proper secret, but 90% of the people I know that played Worms: Armageddon never sat on the title screen long enough to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJsY4FoSZ8&t=135s

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Not taken that way! Sorry my wife is trying to get me to not say poo poo like stupid or crazy about myself and by extension I've been a little more reactive when I hear stuff like that from other Brains, because I want a future where people learn about their differences positively.

Yeah certain people always complain that pills are over-prescribed and the pharmaceutical industry and blah blah blah, but personally I think the main reason that so many people are on some sort of medication or another, especially for anxiety and depression, is that we live in a world that's so wholly unlike the one that we evolved for that our brains just can't handle it well. There's too much uncertainty, there's too many things going on, there's too much information, too many distractions, too many possible choices. We're not wired for this, and the people who naturally are are in the minority.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've heard the argument that things like ADHD and autism are more maladaptive in modern society than they would have been even a few hundred years ago. "John's a bit funny, can't look you in the eyes and he gets stressed when it's noisy, but he's a great shepherd and he's very happy sitting in a field all day," that sort of thing. It's hard to know how much of that is wishful primitivism, though. Modern society can be actively hostile to the neurodivergent because it's stressful enough for the neurotypical that we see an increase in anxiety and depression in the general population.

(Tear it down, start over, etc.)

My only official diagnosis is generalized anxiety, but I'm also weird, I've always been weird in a very distinct way, and autism is astonishingly underdiagnosed in little girls, which I was once, so. I dunno, I'm already on medication that got me through a degree, which I couldn't do before, so not sure what I'd gain by pushing for an assessment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There's more ADHD in indigenous people the further down from North to South America you go from the former Bering land bridge.

If it is a potential driving factor in ancient migrations, there might be further links to neurodivergency and social groups and cultural developments.

Additionally, ADHD and spectrum disorders in young girls were and still are under diagnosed, as social bias leads to trying to "fix" the emotional regulation aspects, instead of the executive disorder.

Often girls are "diagnosed" with bipolar disorder or something like that.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 17:11 on May 15, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've seen a lot...of old people...who write like...this... presumably because they...only recently began using...the internet...and hadn't written or read anything...since leaving school... decades ago... and just don't know... how anything works...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've seen a lot...of old people...who write like...this... presumably because they...only recently began using...the internet...and hadn't written or read anything...since leaving school... decades ago... and just don't know... how anything works...

One if my coworkers leaves me written notes like that. I'll come in to a stack of poo poo left on my desk with ellipses everywhere

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Len posted:

One if my coworkers leaves me written notes like that. I'll come in to a stack of poo poo left on my desk with ellipses everywhere

Might just be old person shaky hands

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

At least 40% of people over 60 are functionally illiterate and only have a vague idea how to construct a sentence and literally no reading comprehension.

Which is the reason for all those Fw:Fw:Fw: emails back in the day.

Let's not forget that until like 30 years ago there was lead in everything so anyone born before that probably has at least some lead induced brain damage.

An obvious solution is to just shoot everyone in the face on theirs 30th birthday.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:yikes:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
And how is your relationship with your mother?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
A bold approach threatening this forum's main demo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What, y'all never saw Logan's Run?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

What, y'all never saw Logan's Run?

Logan's Run would have been killed half a lifetime ago.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My body started falling apart at 30 and now every day hurts so I'm good with that

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Up yours, I'm forty and feeling fabulous. Also, i am protected by powerful but incredibly stupid magic so just try sandmanning me, bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I could sing you into a bog.

Which is very powerful magic but is somewhat hampered by its reliance of a bog being there.