Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

This is what Ohio is doing
https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1392597174014332929

You know who loves to play the lotto? loving boomers. I think it's a genius idea. And they're paying for it out of federal relief funds.

Goddamn that's some devious poo poo. Not like Abbott would ever do anything so clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Ohio vax rates start going back up, I bet a lot of states do this, especially since it's house money

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At best, Abbot may somehow leave the door open for somebody else to try setting up something like that, but he can't risk the political hit from being seen possibly trying to look out for people's safety, and could boomerang around to ban it to maximize death like his base wants him to.

I hate this state's politics.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

jokes posted:

I wonder if we're just gonna stop getting vaccinations because boomers+ are convinced "ThEy'Re uNsAfE" and this is the peak

Can we acknowledge how bad Gen X is with anti-vaxx poo poo too? Boomers at least grew up with polio. Gen X benefited from mass vaccinations and now don’t believe those diseases are real.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Can we acknowledge how bad Gen X is with anti-vaxx poo poo too? Boomers at least grew up with polio. Gen X benefited from mass vaccinations and now don’t believe those diseases are real.

Millenials sitting here eager to take drugs, any drug even vaccines, for any reason.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lotto idea owns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chefspencil/status/1392555911953059845?s=21

I am become the Joker now

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I'm so mad right now.

When I think BBQ I definitely think Columbus, Miami, Newark, Seattle and loving Oklahoma City.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Using TripAdvisor to compile anything is just stupid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe people in Texas know what good BBQ tastes like so they aren't five starring Seattle salmon brisket or Skyline ribs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What the hell kind of map shows Fort Worth not in Dallas's shadow.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think I figured it out. They asked the same people who liked this "crawfish boil"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5-qpmaHRaA

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/1392275692860149760

We're probably just going to muddle along for another 10 years or so on our weird limbo of de facto decrim in all the cities while the odd rural sheriff keeps locking up goddamn long hair hippies from Austin for a roach in their ashtray when they nab them in a speed trap. We will soon be surrounded on all four sides by states (and Mexico) that have various levels of legalization. Trying to maintain an anti-weed interdiction policy across three open state borders isn't possible.

I don't know why LA didn't do it sooner. Nola is basically a tourism party town and the whole state is known for its drinking/partying. Hell most people would be surprised at how small New Orleans actual is. Why not add cannabis to the mix?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think I figured it out. They asked the same people who liked this "crawfish boil"

What in the name of god

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1392848017720549377

As far as I know, the amendments added by the Senate are penalty enhancements for felons/DV offenders for carrying, a prohibition on carrying in public while intoxicated

quote:

Among other changes, state senators last week approved an amendment barring permitless carry from people convicted in the past five years of making a terroristic threat, deadly conduct, assault that causes bodily injury or disorderly conduct with a firearm. The chamber also approved an amendment that enhances criminal penalties for illegal weapons carried by felons and those convicted of family violence offenses.

Dan Patrick getting repeatedly stung in the head by the scorpion he brought into Texas is pretty entertaining though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I'm mad and also I love the guy who recorded and commented on this.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Any of our various insiders and experts want to weigh in on the likelihood that HB 3979 and its Senate counterpart become law? Or is it one of those make-a-fuss-and-quietly-let-it-die bills?

I teach science not social studies, but it's still got my hackles raised.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that's gonna become law for sure. But it's a fake bill, it's outlawing stuff that no one is doing anyway. This is just following the anti-1619 or whatever movement that Trump and the RWM are pushing. No one is teaching CRT in Texas high schools, because it's not on the STAAR exam

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

luv 2 eat raw unpurged crawfish with my kimchi potatoes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chip roy pushing back against stefanik being 'coronated' to house leadership, may run himself

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh that's gonna become law for sure. But it's a fake bill, it's outlawing stuff that no one is doing anyway. This is just following the anti-1619 or whatever movement that Trump and the RWM are pushing. No one is teaching CRT in Texas high schools, because it's not on the STAAR exam

It references a lot of stuff that isn’t CRT to prohibit. Sometimes their bad legislation actually does bad things, it’s not all symbolic red meat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

It references a lot of stuff that isn’t CRT to prohibit. Sometimes their bad legislation actually does bad things, it’s not all symbolic red meat.

Like what? Admittedly I skimmed what was a very long list of topics, but nothing jumped out at me.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Like what? Admittedly I skimmed what was a very long list of topics, but nothing jumped out at me.

It's more broadly an attempt to white-wash history and make it a bit more difficult for teachers to challenge a more traditional/conservative interpretation of America's history and its founding.

This part especially:

"The amendment also takes a stance against teachings that “slavery and racism are anything other than deviations from, betrayals of, or failures to live up to, the authentic founding principles of the United States, which include liberty and equality.”"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

"The amendment also takes a stance against teachings that “slavery and racism are anything other than deviations from, betrayals of, or failures to live up to, the authentic founding principles of the United States, which include liberty and equality.”"

This is going to make teaching the Confederacy a little different (no it won't :smith: )

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

JosefStalinator posted:

It's more broadly an attempt to white-wash history and make it a bit more difficult for teachers to challenge a more traditional/conservative interpretation of America's history and its founding.

This part especially:

Sounds like standard primary education in the United States op

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1392955831738581000?s=21

Lol

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

zoux posted:

Maybe people in Texas know what good BBQ tastes like so they aren't five starring Seattle salmon brisket or Skyline ribs

I'm 100% sure it's this. Houston has some good BBQ places but I've also had some of the worst BBQ imaginable here. Like rancid raccoon meat *cough* Goode Co **cough* that's unfit for consumption by dogs bad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Numlock posted:

I'm 100% sure it's this. Houston has some good BBQ places but I've also had some of the worst BBQ imaginable here. Like rancid raccoon meat *cough* Goode Co **cough* that's unfit for consumption by dogs bad.

How are they in business??? It boggles the mind!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Numlock posted:

It's also a lot of more tourism oriented/bougie cities where places are far more willing to pay through the nose to get thousands of positive yelp tripadvisor reviews.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Monkey posted:

How are they in business??? It boggles the mind!

This, 100%. There is very good BBQ in Houston, a lot of mediocre BBQ, but Goode Co is the only one I can think of that I will actively avoid outside of garbage chains like Dickeys.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Numlock posted:

I'm always amazed at the overwhelming number of BBQ places between Austin and San Antonio. San Marcos has to have at least a dozen.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

LET’S GO TO LUUUUUUTHEEEEEER’S

For real though, Goode Company is 100% brand recognition by olds and inertia i.e. people don’t really know any better. I’m likely exaggerating to a certain extent, but before maybe 2007 Houston definitely wasn’t a BBQ city and you had Goode Company / Pappas / Luther’s and some super small places everywhere nobody knew about. It wasn’t until after that when Houston started getting more recognition as a food city (I’m well aware it always was and there’s rich history in all the neighborhoods) that you saw dozens of actually great BBQ places start coming up and now if anything there’s more than I’ll ever get a chance to try and I’m sure. I look forward to once the boomer population drops and god willing Goode Company goes with it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cael posted:

For real though, Goode Company is 100% brand recognition by olds and inertia i.e. people don’t really know any better. I’m likely exaggerating to a certain extent, but before maybe 2007 Houston definitely wasn’t a BBQ city and you had Goode Company / Pappas / Luther’s and some super small places everywhere nobody knew about. It wasn’t until after that when Houston started getting more recognition as a food city (I’m well aware it always was and there’s rich history in all the neighborhoods) that you saw dozens of actually great BBQ places start coming up and now if anything there’s more than I’ll ever get a chance to try and I’m sure. I look forward to once the boomer population drops and god willing Goode Company goes with it.

Luther's chopped beef sandwich was awesome when I was like 6 years old. Not the most discerning palate then, I'll admit :haw:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

interesting point

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1392967497171800064

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Luther's chopped beef sandwich was awesome when I was like 6 years old. Not the most discerning palate then, I'll admit :haw:

They also had the best kind of onion rings. Loved that place as a small child.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Houstonians with your wet swamp barbecue smh. Hill country bbq is the superior offering!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

Houstonians with your wet swamp barbecue smh. Hill country bbq is the superior offering!

What is your wood of choice for cooking?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, mesquite I suppose, but don't really make our own bbq

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i only use montezuma cypress

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cael posted:

I can say 1 good thing about Goode co and it's that their sauce was a pretty decent consistency for a BBQ pizza using your own meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The only good Goode company is the Goode Co Taqueria, and you only go for the burgers.

Unless you're getting pecan pie.