Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You gotta call the company out with these types of posts. It's not Home Warranty of America is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Get the dog. If you're already dealing with the downside, might as well get the upside too.

It’s out of the picture while we have an infant, but I’ll make sure my daughter is able to connect these dots when she’s old enough to make a “why we should get a puppy” presentation.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Inner Light posted:

You gotta call the company out with these types of posts. It's not Home Warranty of America is it?

No it's Fidelity Home Warranty... they put up a good front with a super professional website and "easy to access" submittal forms... but their phone line (which you need for doing anything beyond initial submission) is an absolute mess. Each time I called them I was on hold for over an hour.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

So I have been a homeowner for 19 days and my first thing has broken! What do I win?

Any suggestions for how to get a “pop up” sink plug that is very much not popping up unstuck?

It pressed down and is sealed and will not come back up! I can get no purchase on it to pull it back up out of the plug hole.

Online I have seen suggestions to try twisting it counter clockwise while wearing grippy rubber gloves, to use WD40 to loosen it, or to find something with a suction cup on it to suction onto the plug and then pull it up.

I have now ordered rubber gloves, WD40 & a suction cup but I am open to suggestions!

I'm assuming this is not the kind that you operate with a rod on the sink/faucet. The easiest way to get that back up and out is to put a bucket under the sink and pull the trap. You'll have a straight shot up at the bottom of the stopper then. Just jam it back up and out with a long screwdriver or whatever.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’ve used a plunger to un-stuck a garbage disposal stopper before (a couple times). The action happens when you pull up rather than push down, though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
If it's a spring loaded one like for a bathtub, try pressing on different spots on it, usually one side is set and the opposite is release.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: wrong house thread

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 13, 2021

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got a post with a hook on it. The post is concreted in place beneath the concrete block patio.

Can I put a pulley on the hook to lift a 250 pound kamado onto an 18 inch tall cart? I'm 170ish and cannot budge the pole, but I also don't have any confirmation on its load limit. It was last used decades ago for a clothesline.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

So I’ve discovered that there’s a tiny bit of open empty space in this angled part of my kitchen cabinets between the dishwasher and the cabinet under the sink. I thought it was walled off from all directions until out of the corner of my eye I saw my 6 week old kitten seemingly walk into the wall and disappear into Narnia. Turns out it’s open on the underside with a hole just big enough for her and too small for even my arm, and I could not get to her until she decided to come out on her own. I didn’t know if she could get out and I thought I was going to have to tear my cabinets apart on my first week living here.

I’ve got it stuffed with boxes as a stopgap as you can see in the image, just to keep her from fitting into it, but of course now that she knows a super secret hidey hole she’s obsessed and it’s only a matter of time. Is there an easy DIY solution here?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
A second cat to go into the wall and get the first one back

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wco2uE6vyQ

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dross posted:

So I’ve discovered that there’s a tiny bit of open empty space in this angled part of my kitchen cabinets between the dishwasher and the cabinet under the sink. I thought it was walled off from all directions until out of the corner of my eye I saw my 6 week old kitten seemingly walk into the wall and disappear into Narnia. Turns out it’s open on the underside with a hole just big enough for her and too small for even my arm, and I could not get to her until she decided to come out on her own. I didn’t know if she could get out and I thought I was going to have to tear my cabinets apart on my first week living here.

I’ve got it stuffed with boxes as a stopgap as you can see in the image, just to keep her from fitting into it, but of course now that she knows a super secret hidey hole she’s obsessed and it’s only a matter of time. Is there an easy DIY solution here?

This happened in the corner of our cabinets when we got our kittens 14 months ago. They were obsessed until they grew big enough they couldn't fit anymore. We used a 12 pack of soda to block the hole until I could put a scrap piece of wood to cover it. That didn't stop them from trying to get in there though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cats are great because they seem like such chill, easy animals, but then you have to explain your Cat Caretaking Ritual to the petsitter and you realize you've lost control of your life

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I don't think we can answer this question until we see a picture of the kitten.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I don't think we can answer this question until we see a picture of the kitten.

This seems reasonable.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is what a $26,500 patio looks like in 2021

I can swap out any of the corner posts for 8' posts in order to hang string lights across the patio, which I think I want to do. How many/which corners do you think I should do? I'm bad at this sort of thing so I'm not sure if I just want like.. one diagonal string, or an L-shape, X, or what!

The outlet is at the bottom right corner of the sliding door so I'll want a string to start there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I can swap out any of the corner posts for 8' posts in order to hang string lights across the patio, which I think I want to do. How many/which corners do you think I should do? I'm bad at this sort of thing so I'm not sure if I just want like.. one diagonal string, or an L-shape, X, or what!

The outlet is at the bottom right corner of the sliding door so I'll want a string to start there.

Do a U shape so you can have a short run from the side that goes across the stairs to the outlet.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

skipdogg posted:

This happened in the corner of our cabinets when we got our kittens 14 months ago. They were obsessed until they grew big enough they couldn't fit anymore. We used a 12 pack of soda to block the hole until I could put a scrap piece of wood to cover it. That didn't stop them from trying to get in there though.
Yeah, this is the correct answer. My kittens loved crawling into the cabinets and they outgrew it. Any solution need only be a temporary thing for the next few months, maybe one of those door draft blockers or something if you don't want an eyesore.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I downloaded SketchUp and have started down the path of modeling the house. This is oddly addicting. As a graphic designer, it's vaguely similar to my daily work software but a little different.

The nice thing is it gives a much better idea of how something will look in place. But gently caress if I haven't already spent 20 hours in it.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Anybody dealt with buying a house and later finding out the "visual" property lines (mowing lines, plant features) were off from the legal lines?

We paid for a fence this July, and don't expect surveyors until late June or early July. My neighbors on one side have mentioned they weren't happy about our decision (who cares right?) and were pretty curious about where the fence would be.

There's a tree in a raised bed in the corner with our neighbors which we always assumed was the actual corner of the property, but when I look at the county map, it looks like it's entirely on their property (nevermind the corner faces toward us and we mow using it as a guide)

The red triangle is the raised bed.

When I look around at other properties on the county map, the lines/fences are on or nearly on the line.

Starting to look like our fence is going to reveal our back yard is a not insignificant amount smaller than we thought.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Get it surveyed, if it is encroaching on their land talk to them and probably get the fence moved. If they get lovely about it and threaten lawyers then :hurr:. Pretty sure there is no recourse against the sellers since your REA should have pulled the lot info and been able to show you that during the process.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Good fences make good neighbors.

Short-term pain for long-term security in knowing where the property lines really are. I mean, as long as the fence is actually on the line.

Lots of people don't get a survey when they buy a place, and they end up having no clue where the property line actually is. So they usually get fudged by incorrect landmarks like plants or utility boxes, or just by habitual mowing along a certain line.

That said, don't trust the county GIS. Honestly it's probably within a few inches; the technology that lines up the images is pretty good these days, but there's a decent chance that it could be off by several feet. You won't know 100% until a survey is done.

edit: in the future, ALWAYS get a survey done when buying a house. That way there's no question, and the markers will alert your potential neighbors before you even move in so nobody has any excuse not to know the actual boundaries.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The property is getting surveyed and we plan to build to the survey so we don't have to deal with new owners when my neighbors move, just starting to feel like nobody mentioned the the gentleman's agreement the PO had with the neighbors over their 30 years living next to each other when he built that wonky raised bed.

Lesson learned, get a survey before buying :shrug:
Just a bummer if it turns out in favor of our least favorite, most nosy, too-close-before-maybe-even-closer-now neighbors.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
That's exactly why you get a survey. Because the last person to do it was probably a few transactions ago, and everyone has been making assumptions since then.

We didn't when we bought. Wasn't a big deal, but our then-neighbors decided to plant some shrubs about 1' on their side of the line (as delineated by mowing). Shortly after, we had a landscaper do some work on the shrubs that we thought were on our side of the line. Neighbor comes out yelling at the workers to stop because those were exactly on the property line and we can't touch them.

Turns out the line was a good 2' away from our shrubs, and the ones THEY planted were right on the goddamn line. Neighbor's house has actually changed hands twice since we moved in, so if we get a fence installed we'll probably have to foot a chunk of the bill to rip up those shrubs, and IIRC around here the law says that border fences/plants require both neighbors' approval to do anything with, so they could legally be dicks about it if they so choose.

So yeah, like I said, good fences make good neighbors. When everyone is assuming where the line is, nobody has a good time. Everyone will be butthurt for a bit once they see the survey markers, but at least it'll be crystal clear.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Also when you have a survey you get a nice PDF of your property that's useful for all sorts of planning. I mapped out my sprinklers, did a plant survey, and planned my shed using it.

Hell I should break it out and review a fence or two sometime.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I think my fence might be as old as the house. I feel like it's been a long time since 4' wire/metal fence for backyards was common. The thing to do on my block is everyone just building their own fences:

My wire fence and the neighbor's much newer privacy fence, both being overtaken by Virginia creeper. Most back property borders here have double fences.

We have this (formerly) white wire fence along the back of our backyard and to the right, and then our neighbor to the left has wire fencing to their right and along the back. But their fence is not in great shape:

It is being devoured by a mulberry tree (and a couple other trees). I've been planting a garden screen along this side of the yard (ferns and dogwoods etc) so I don't give a poo poo what the fence looks.

Seems like there might have been a system of shared fencing back in the day, but now most households just build their own fence if they want a different/new fence and leave the bordering fences be. Front yards almost never have fences (when they do, it's just a decorative picket fence or 4' chainlink to keep a dog contained or something).

If I ever want to replace the bad fence, I'd for sure get a survey (mostly to establish official tree stewardship - I've unofficially claimed all the trees since they are on or majority on my side of the fence) and then just replace with a similar wire fence, except straight and not being eaten by trees. Kinda wish I'd gotten a survey when we bought it, because even though the lots are small and simple, the houses are super close together which presents side alley access questions - is one side of the house on the property line so that you have 3' on the other side for access and your property ends at the start of the next house or is it down the middle and everyone's had an unspoken easement one one side for the last 120 years?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm a big fan of this smart sprinkler controller.

Although I was not impressed when it kicked on yesterday morning when it only hadn't rained in two days.

And really I was unhappy when I saw the water streaming down my driveway. I'm concerned I have a leaky sprinkler.

The only irrigation I really like is my drop system since it's more reliable than hand watering (because I am not reliable), and all my plants grew 30% larger than they did the year before.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
Through a liberal amount of both WD40 & wiggling, the pop up plug in my bathroom sink has popped back up!
We can’t figure out how to get the whole thing out (assuming it is being held in by gunk at this point) but as soon as we can remove it, it’s getting replaced with a normal plug- pop up ones make me think of cheap hotel bathrooms & I figure less moving parts= less faff.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Where I live, buyers are required to have a survey done with all home purchases.

Survey disclosed that our backyard fence (came with the house) encroaches a good 5' into municipal land (there's a creek and walking trail that's maintained by the local Parks department).

That fence line ain't budging.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Through a liberal amount of both WD40 & wiggling, the pop up plug in my bathroom sink has popped back up!
We can’t figure out how to get the whole thing out (assuming it is being held in by gunk at this point) but as soon as we can remove it, it’s getting replaced with a normal plug- pop up ones make me think of cheap hotel bathrooms & I figure less moving parts= less faff.

Mine just unscrews. I have to clean it out periodically, but at least it's been easy to get it out to do the cleaning.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

Where I live, buyers are required to have a survey done with all home purchases.

Survey disclosed that our backyard fence (came with the house) encroaches a good 5' into municipal land (there's a creek and walking trail that's maintained by the local Parks department).

That fence line ain't budging.

Five feet isn’t major; I had a neighbor who was in a similar situation but went from having a massive 40x50ft back yard to having about 15x20 once the city realized what was going on. They got away with it for 20 years.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I think my plan is once the survey is done and we know where the line lies, see if my neighbor will sell the sliver on his property to me for pennies on the dollar.

If not, I'll build the fence with the corner raised bed facing my house and tree outside it. He can have weeding it and mowing the angled part of our shared lawn on the side of the houses. My dogs get slightly less run space and I don't have to mow quite so much.

It's a win win for me, you see :smithicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I think my plan is once the survey is done and we know where the line lies, see if my neighbor will sell the sliver on his property to me for pennies on the dollar.

You're looking at low 5 figures in most jurisdictions to get all of the legal work done to both properties, etc even if the neighbor gives it to you for free.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Think how little you'd have to mow if you just fenced in a 10x10' dog shittery and told the neighbor he could have the rest of your yard, that's the real win win.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

You're looking at low 5 figures in most jurisdictions to get all of the legal work done to both properties, etc even if the neighbor gives it to you for free.

:(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy hell you could install 20 ton blocks of fitted limestone cheaper

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elephanthead posted:

Holy hell you could install 20 ton blocks of fitted limestone cheaper

We have exited the Season of Wood.

We have entered the Season of Stone.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Turning on our sprinklers for the first time, any idea what valve this is before I charge the backflow?

Also is there any reason our main valve would be half open like this? We're on well if that matters, our water (especially outside) kinda of sputters periodically, assumed it was well related but could this be why?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I disconnected the p trap below our bathroom vanity to install a new vanity. That drain has always been slow, and I’d always hoped to get to the bottom of it.

I cleaned it out and... What was lurking in there horrifies me.

I am horrified. Being a plumber must be WILD

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That valve appears to be a drain. If it starts spitting water out when you turn on the other valve spin it in the opposite direction until it closes. They were probably using that to blow out the system for winter.

As to your main valve, no idea why it wouldn't be all the way open. Throw it all the way and see what happens. You can always put it back if someone did that because of some strange issue they were trying to cover up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

That valve appears to be a drain. If it starts spitting water out when you turn on the other valve spin it in the opposite direction until it closes. They were probably using that to blow out the system for winter.

As to your main valve, no idea why it wouldn't be all the way open. Throw it all the way and see what happens. You can always put it back if someone did that because of some strange issue they were trying to cover up.

It's a ball valve too, those generally don't like being in half-open positions.