Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

Disney is going to take it slow just like with reopening.

Also rumor is that they are looking to restart fireworks after July 4th.

Disney is not going to go any slower than they have to. That's been the rumor for a while, yes. Or restarting on July 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ah that's what was meant. I misunderstood. Sorry.

If this poo poo spikes cases to mars again, are people just gonna be maskless at Disney and somebody drops dead on CoP and welp, that's life now?

It won't be CoP. Statistically it'll be one of the mountains or Seven Dwarfs. Not enough people do CoP.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I gave the heads up to my co-workers at the theme park I work at. We're still going to be enforcing masks at Legoland California for the forseeable future. We're private property, and they have to follow our rules to stay.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Roth posted:

I gave the heads up to my co-workers at the theme park I work at. We're still going to be enforcing masks at Legoland California for the forseeable future. We're private property, and they have to follow our rules to stay.

Legoland Florida allows masks off outdoors already, but not indoors or on the rides. (I was there this past weekend). I suspect Disney world (Based on the earnings call that happened about an hour ago) to do the same in a few weeks (Chapek's quote pretty much solidifies that).

"this is big news for us, particularly if anybody's been in Florida in the middle of the summer with a mask on That could be quite daunting. So we think that's going to make for an even more pleasant experience..."

Legoland in Florida is a pain to get around right now because the big miniland is closed at the moment because they are installing this giant tent covering thing over it so you have to walk a very long way to get around it.

https://twitter.com/CNBCFastMoney/status/1392960096980946952

Atricks fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 13, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Atricks posted:

Legoland Florida allows masks off outdoors already, but not indoors or on the rides. (I was there this past weekend). I suspect Disney world (Based on the earnings call that happened about an hour ago) to do the same in a few weeks (Chapek's quote pretty much solidifies that).

"this is big news for us, particularly if anybody's been in Florida in the middle of the summer with a mask on."

I have a co-worker that did an exchange program to work at the Florida park while we were all on furlough still. She said it was an incredibly miserable experience, and she's more than happy to be back here.

Edit - I also recall a meeting about an upcoming promotion that Florida was doing that we had two years ago. According to them a busy day for the Florida park is like 6000 people, but for us it's like 25,000.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Roth posted:

I have a co-worker that did an exchange program to work at the Florida park while we were all on furlough still. She said it was an incredibly miserable experience, and she's more than happy to be back here.

Edit - I also recall a meeting about an upcoming promotion that Florida was doing that we had two years ago. According to them a busy day for the Florida park is like 6000 people, but for us it's like 25,000.

I'd believe it. Although the park is very pretty (former Cypress Gardens). It's also about 30-45 minutes off interstate 4 between Orlando and Tampa so it's a bit of a pain to get to. (It's not just off I-5 like it is in California) That said, the hotel seems always full, but the park is very very light compared to the Orlando ones. Still it has its own charm. Although even with the mask restrictions not requiring it outdoors, about 2/3 of the folks still were.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Roth posted:

There are few times that I am jealous of other people here on the forums, but you work at Legoland California? drat.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

kensei posted:

There are few times that I am jealous of other people here on the forums, but you work at Legoland California? drat.

Yeah, I'm a lead in Welcome Experience.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Roth posted:

Yeah, I'm a lead in Welcome Experience.

More than anything I am jealous of your employee discount, but sometimes I would love to quit my IT job and just work in a theme park.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Disney is not going to go any slower than they have to. That's been the rumor for a while, yes. Or restarting on July 4th.

No they specificly will do it after the 4th for the same reason the reopening was after: to avoid a million people trying to show up for the holiday.

Edit: some rumors are even into August now.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 13, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kensei posted:

More than anything I am jealous of your employee discount, but sometimes I would love to quit my IT job and just work in a theme park.

That brings up an interesting question - if you had to work any Disney parks job, but got to pick which one, and got paid enough to allow you and your family to live comfortably, which would you pick?

I would like to be a lead Gatherer at Savi's Workshop. I like Star Wars, doing the spiel seems fun, and I like the idea of helping people put their lightsabers together.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jungle cruise skipprr

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Pththya-lyi posted:

That brings up an interesting question - if you had to work any Disney parks job, but got to pick which one, and got paid enough to allow you and your family to live comfortably, which would you pick?

I would like to be a lead Gatherer at Savi's Workshop. I like Star Wars, doing the spiel seems fun, and I like the idea of helping people put their lightsabers together.

I’ve always wanted to be a Citizen of Hollywood.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

:same:, and for all those same reasons. :)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

kensei posted:

We get a 30% discount on all food and retail.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'd learn to repair the technical guts of rides, coming from an IT job with a massive legacy environment, I can't imagine what those old rides are like

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only advice I have is that I briefly worked the hotel front desk and hated it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

:shobon: I got to wake up Jose once. I know how stupid it is, but I'd be really into doing it multiple times every day.

That or go work with the giraffes. I worked with two that were born at AK at another zoo and it'd be pretty neat to go work with their relatives.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If Imagineer counts as a park job, that's my choice.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disneyland isn't getting rid of Splash mountain right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Disneyland isn't getting rid of Splash mountain right?

Both US splash mountains are transforming last I knew.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I'd want to be a plaid

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

I'd want to be a plaid

That's my second choice.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Plaid is so overrated. Your main job is basically to get yelled at. Disney is the only place that holds such positions in high regard. All other theme parks don't place special value over them.

I worked a bunch of jobs, mostly attractions, at WDW. My absolute favorite was Tower of Terror. It's a nice mix of technical knowledge, freedom, and performing that not many jobs get to do. Unfortunately, Tower of Terror is in bad shape now and they don't really encourage performance theming anymore. Rise of the Resistance now is what Tower of Terror used to be like.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Rise of the Resistance now is what Tower of Terror used to be like.

First Order Officer on RotR would be my first choice if I were any good at improvising insults. All the FO actors I've seen in videos are a tough act to follow.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Plaid is so overrated. Your main job is basically to get yelled at. Disney is the only place that holds such positions in high regard. All other theme parks don't place special value over them.

I should elaborate. VIP tour guide plaid.

second choice: person who works at the Tri-Circle-D Ranch.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

I should elaborate. VIP tour guide plaid.

Ah ok. In that case, same. I always wanted to do this and share my obsessive knowledge, but never got the chance.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Ah ok. In that case, same. I always wanted to do this and share my obsessive knowledge, but never got the chance.

Definitely the coolest job I ever had. Between tour guiding for 5 years and finishing things out at Club 33, I got to work some of my dream roles. I miss it sometimes but leaving was the right decision. Maybe I'll retire to the parks.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Family is considering taking two 4.5 year olds to WDW in October. I didn't realize the whole 50th anniversary thing would be happening. It is looking like it might be busier than anticipated around those dates (looking at 4th-9th). Anyone have any thoughts on how busy its likely to be and if itd be better to wait for next March or so?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gejimayu posted:

Family is considering taking two 4.5 year olds to WDW in October. I didn't realize the whole 50th anniversary thing would be happening. It is looking like it might be busier than anticipated around those dates (looking at 4th-9th). Anyone have any thoughts on how busy its likely to be and if itd be better to wait for next March or so?

It's going to be very busy. You have the 50th anniversary happening (though I'm sure the "celebration" will last at least 18 months), plus the SouthEast part of the country has a week long "fall break" during one of the first 2 weeks of October, plus Columbus day/Indigenous Peoples Day on the 11th. When we went about 50% of Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky was at WDW. It felt just as busy to us as Texas Spring Break week, but with a lot more heat and rain.

March is also going to be busy. The last week of Feb, first week of March is what I think is one of the best times to visit. I can't really go then anymore since the kids are older and can't easily miss school. If you can go before the 2nd full week in March, I'd recommend that for a few reasons

Crowds will be slightly better if you visit before Spring Break starts happening, which is generally the 2nd full week of March through the rest of the month

Weather is going to be 1000 times better. When we went in early October it was really, really, really hot. March is much easier to deal with.

The parks and park schedule should be somewhat back to "normal" by March next year (I hope).

All that being said, I'll take the better weather in March over October every single time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, people assume October will be cooler, but it really doesn't happen until mid November. March, on the other hand, is usually perfect and can still get kind of cold.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I mean, with the mask update this week, I fully expect October to be nuts. I bet they will have increased capacity so that means more people in the parks. It's gonna be packed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

People are going to see 2021 as a 2020 vacation overdue.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm going October 4th for a couple days, but originally we were just going to hit up Disney Springs and none of the parks until December. Now we're planning to go to Boo Bash. It won't be as hot since it's at night and crowds will be smaller since it's an extra hard ticket event.

Wonder when those tickets will go on sale.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Nanigans posted:

I'm going October 4th for a couple days, but originally we were just going to hit up Disney Springs and none of the parks until December. Now we're planning to go to Boo Bash. It won't be as hot since it's at night and crowds will be smaller since it's an extra hard ticket event.

Wonder when those tickets will go on sale.

Next month. I'm planning to hit up a party around my birthday in September.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Junkie Disease posted:

People are going to see 2021 as a 2020 vacation overdue.

We are all piling in the station wagon and heading for Wally World, moose be damned.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Braksgirl posted:

Next month. I'm planning to hit up a party around my birthday in September.

Sweet!

Hotel reservations at the Disney Springs area hotel we like were cheap as hell when we booked last month for October. It's nice 'cause we can use the money we saved on the hotel on the Boo Bash event now. We loved MNSSH two years ago, and this looks like it'll probably be really similar, maybe slightly smaller. I hope it doesn't rain this time. There was an absolutely terrible downpour that time. It did clear up eventually enough that they only had to postpone the fireworks for about 30 mins or so.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
My wife and I are taking our 14 year old near the end of August and I'm hoping that lots of people wait till October for the 50th, but with them signaling that restrictions will be lifting soon I have to believe it's still going to be packed with people desperate to get out of the house.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Antifaland is pretty fun, but it's too hot in the summer. Better to go in the colder months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
That place looks pretty great, to be honest. Should be less crowded too, without all the CHUDs running around.

Do I want to know what the "M" word is?