Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I always thought it was they got so brazen that they started promoting themselves as WWF in Europe which was another violation of the "don't call yourself WWF outside of the US" rule but maybe that's wrong or was just one part of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Those HHH/HBK matches were pretty good to begin with. Their Unsanctioned match at SummerSlam is brilliant and the Three Stages of Hell at the Rumble should probably have been the end. Then Nash gets involved and we have a summer of six man tags and special ref matches involving those three which were not great.

In December 03 HHH defends the title against Michaels on Raw from San Antonio and it's fantastic, the crowd are molten. There's never been a wrestler who is as good as working a crowd as Michaels was, including Hogan. The finish aside, this is arguably the best match the two would ever have.

Then at the Rumble they have a long drawn out Last Man Standing with a double ten count finish, all designed to allow HBK into the WrestleMania main event. The Benoit triple threat match at WrestleMania 20 is rightfully considered one of the best Mania matches of all time. The Backlash triple threat rematch is similarly very good but should have just been HBK/Benoit. The match in Edmonton feels like a HBK apology for Montreal, he submits dead center of the ring in the Sharpshooter after spending 30 minutes getting shat on by the audience. HHH really was not needed here.

Then there's the infamous Hell in a Cell. This match is the most boring Cell match of all time. HHH really seems to think his wrestling is mesmerising. The two wrestle a tedious singles match inside the Cell for nearly 50 minutes. It heats up towards the end but the crowd have already lost interest. This match doesn't get brought up as often as it should during Worst Matches discussion.

It's here that Brand Split Raw started to get better. Evolution slowly began to implode, Edge returned and burned his way to the top as a heel, Michaels moved on to feud with Kurt Angle.

E: I just looked it up, HHH and Michaels had another match at Taboo Tuesday which HHH won. I've not seen it but I can't imagine it was any good.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Was Vince just so used to being bulletproof he thought he could block the World Wildlife Funds' legal slam dunk or was there another reason for it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Was Vince just so used to being bulletproof he thought he could block the World Wildlife Funds' legal slam dunk or was there another reason for it?

Vince fancies himself an underdog still. He probably thought they were being bullies and he'd therefore triumph.

Not a joke, he really thinks like this. It's how a virulent bigot can claim MLK is his idol, because it's not about race in Vince's mind, it's about telling others who try to dictate your behavior to go gently caress themselves.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Haha I cant imagine thinking yourself as the victim against the big bully corporation that....saves animals across the world.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Edge & Christian posted:

It's also funny in hindsight, but there was a small but vocal contingent of people in 2000-2001 who were sick of The Old Guard Main Eventers (Undertaker, Kane, Triple H, Austin, Rock) always being on top and never putting over new main eventers. Exactly a year before the Invasion PPV, WWF touted a "Triple Main Event" at Fully Loaded of Rock vs. Benoit, Triple H vs. Jericho, and Undertaker vs. Angle where the established main eventers won all three matches, much to the anger of online fans.

There are two things at work here.
1) Even Legends wear out their welcomes. You start to hate them while they're here but you love them when they're gone. And a lot of people stan new blood to the point where an established main eventer going over anybody who could be a main eventer is poison.

2) Of those 5, only 3 are truly legends and Taker had really, really worn out his welcome at this point. Especially with the whole Bikertaker thing. Even if Benoit, Jericho, Angle (and Eddy while we're here) couldn't be the Rock or Austin it was wholly valid to feel like maybe time to clean the gutters and maybe have the other 3 eat a pin or 12 to the newer, hotter, better acts. And I mean I never personally wanted HHH to be a main eventer. Not my idea. And there are obviously quite a few people who felt the same so the idea of being livid over him beating Jericho is incredibly valid.

And yeah, Vince thinks that because he's nouveau riche he's an underdog. Because the old CT money and the established promoters while he was getting his feet wet in the business were mean to him.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Haha I cant imagine thinking yourself as the victim against the big bully corporation that....saves animals across the world.

welllllllllllllllll about that https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tomwarren/wwf-world-wide-fund-nature-parks-torture-death

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Haha thats why I love this forum. I knew once I posted that someone would come by and tell me why theyre the worst.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Milkshake Duck as a Service

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not a joke, he really thinks like this. It's how a virulent bigot can claim MLK is his idol, because it's not about race in Vince's mind, it's about telling others who try to dictate your behavior to go gently caress themselves.

Finding out Vince also went to a military boarding school also probably explains a lot.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Vince is a cornucopia of unresolved issues and he is what you get when a person does nothing to address them

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Finding out Vince also went to a military boarding school also probably explains a lot.

Then you thrown in straight up abuse he endured, and the wormbrains that come with his level of wealth.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dawgstar posted:

This always mystified me; Vince has this weird worship of the military.

If I remember, from the Sex, Lies and Headlocks book, he actually grew up in Havelock, North Carolina (hey, me too! though, he probably moved around a lot with a lot of different stepfathers). Havelock is a town adjacent to a large Marine Corps base (Cherry Point), and it's basically split between military transplant folks (like my family) and people that have been there for generations. Neither side much mingles with the other, at least, that's how I remember it; the last time I drove through a few years ago, the town had become pretty run down, and not much had changed since the 80s.

I was pretty sure that book claimed that, as a teen, he either would get in fights/confrontations with military guys, or just resented them (I have the book, but it's in the attic, and I last read it more than 10 years ago). I'm not sure how he ended up in military school.

But, maybe that makes sense, since he seems to hate everything about rural life and the country; he hated living in a trailer home in a small town where he was looked down upon as a hillbilly.

Edit: Here from Playboy: https://www.talkwhateveronline.com/threads/vince-mcmahons-playboy-2001-interview.23557/#post287197

quote:

PLAYBOY: OK, let's take a look at the teenage Vince. You once said that you "majored in badass."

MCMAHON: I was totally unruly. Would not go to school. Did things that were unlawful, but I never got caught.

PLAYBOY: Did you ever steal?

MCMAHON: Automobiles. But I always brought them back. I just borrowed them, really. There were other thefts, too, and I ran a load of moonshine in Harlowe, North Carolina, in a 1952 Ford V8. That was a badass car at the time.

PLAYBOY: What did you get paid for running hooch?

MCMAHON: A fortune. I think it was 20 bucks.

PLAYBOY: Finally, the police caught up with you.

MCMAHON: They had a lot of circumstantial evidence. I was always in fights, too. They'd pull up and there we were, me and my group of guys, going at it with the Marines.

PLAYBOY: You fought the Marines?

MCMAHON: Havelock is right outside the Marine base at Cherry Point. There was a place called the Jet Drive-In. Real creative--the Jet, because of all the military jets at the base. On Friday and Saturday nights it was time to get it on with the Marines. It was a challenge. Most of them were in great condition, but they didn't know how to pick a fight. I'm not saying they were easy pickings. They got their testosterone going and they were all liquored up. Some of them were real tough. But me and my guys were street fighters. I mean, maybe you've been through basic training and you know how to operate a bayonet. That's different from sticking your finger in somebody's eye or hitting a guy in the throat, which comes naturally to a street fighter. And they can't believe you're not "fighting fair." Suddenly they can't breathe and/or see, and they realize: "Oh my God, am I in for an rear end-kicking."

PLAYBOY: Ever come close to killing one of them?

MCMAHON: I would like to think not very close. That's not what I wanted to do. You want to incapacitate the guy. Once you get someone down you don't want him getting back up. You don't want him moving, so you make sure he doesn't. It's not pretty, but it was challenging and fun.

PLAYBOY: Finally, the authorities in Havelock gave you a choice----

MCMAHON: Right. It was reform school or military school. I went to Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, Virginia, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Military school is expensive. My mom was still my guardian and she couldn't afford it. So my dad was notified and he paid.

PLAYBOY: Your father was a wrestling promoter. It was wrestling money that sent you to military school.

MCMAHON: That's right. I would see him in the summertime and on the occasional holiday. That he was able and willing to send me to that school made an impression. It was a chance to start over.

The drive-in was gone by the time I lived there in the 80s (the screen was up, but it was closed), so I know exactly where he's talking about. Dang.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 14, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vince sounds like every guy at the Buffalo Wild Wings that sees the UFC and says, "Oh I could beat those guys because I fight dirty"

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t Triple H spend about a month or two absolutely murdering Hurricane and all the heat he had once the Rock left again? I remember it being really loving blatant.

You remember correctly.

Hurricane scored a fluke win during a semi-competitive match against the The Rock, after some legit funny segments where Hurricane confronted the Rock about being a villain, a sell-out and having a tiny ding-a-ling. (The delivery from Helms and reactions from Rock made it funny, trust me.)

Rock corpsed, promised to make Hurricane famous... and they have a slightly silly match where Rock isn't taking things seriously (at first), and Hurricane rolled up Rock for a pretty big win. Arguably, the biggest Hurricane would ever get.

Crowd noticably got behind Hurricane, and he got some cheers they could have built on...

And then Triple H beats Hurricane up back stage, and unmasks him. I want to say a month or say later, maybe less. The announcers sell a semi-shocked "It's Shane Helms!"/"This is pretty gross" reaction.

This leads to a match, wherein I recall Triple H being the champ, and Hurricane getting a 7 minute Taka Special, some hope spots, but ultimately, Helms gets pinned. I think Trips needed Flair to break up a pin, but he mostly made Helms look like a geek. You can actually see the moment where the crowd files Hurricane away as a jobber-4-life as he eats the Pedigree.

Helms bounced around the low card for a year or so; being entertaining enough, and then Trips and I want to say... Evolution? Beat up Hurricane back stage AGAIN, and unmasked him AGAIN. Might have been the Kane/Triple H feud over Katie Vick, because it was around the same time as the HurriKane team. I'd do the legwork, but... I remember two different beatdowns where HHH unmasks Helms. There was never any payback.

Helms became Super Cereal Cruiserweight Gregory Helms after that, and feuded with Jerry Lawler. They had a confrontation, and I think Helms was hurt for a full calendar year around that time.

Trips also beat Hurricane and Rosey in 2008 in a handicap match that I do not remember the context for.

I fully recommend checking out the Rock/Hurricane mini-feud from early 2003 on Youtube. Rock makes him a star over the course of 3 weeks. And Triple H undoes it in one. On a whim.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 14, 2021

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

NutShellBill posted:

Helms became Super Cereal Cruiserweight Gregory Helms after that, and feuded with Jerry Lawler.

lol holy poo poo. trips buried him into the second worst titantron in history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178vKD6eBNQ

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Critical posted:

lol holy poo poo. trips buried him into the second worst titantron in history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178vKD6eBNQ

we all know what #1 is but i would debate your choice of #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KodOe70eGUo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

How soon we forget. https://youtu.be/0hlO_1JGTww

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lid posted:

we all know what #1 is

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPsZUJtwPw

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

NutShellBill posted:

Helms bounced around the low card for a year or so; being entertaining enough, and then Trips and I want to say... Evolution? Beat up Hurricane back stage AGAIN, and unmasked him AGAIN. Might have been the Kane/Triple H feud over Katie Vick, because it was around the same time as the HurriKane team. I'd do the legwork, but... I remember two different beatdowns where HHH unmasks Helms. There was never any payback.
I think you've got the timeline mixed up here, all the pieces are right but not in the right order.

Hurri-Kane were tag team champions in September and October 2002. There was a TLC tag title match on Raw (because why not?) where HHH and Flair beat down Hurricane backstage, but Kane won the match solo. After the match, Triple H came out to call Kane a murderer and we were off to the Katie Vick races. Then one of the teams in the TLC match (Jericho + Christian) beat Hurri-Kane with Jericho pinning Hurricane clean the following week.

Hurricane hung around trading wins in the midcard until the Rock came back in February 2003 and had his little mini-feud with Hurricane in the run-up to Wrestlemania 19, but the immediate aftermath was:

March 10, 2003: Hurricane beats the Rock thanks to a distraction from Steve Austin
March 17, 2003: Hurricane steps up to Rodney Mack's not-yet-name White Boy Challenge and wins (by DQ) when the Rock comes in and kicks his rear end
March 24, 2003: Hurricane is a decoy driving Steve Austin's truck to distract the Rock while Austin ambushes him
Wrestlemania 19: Hurricane does not get a match.
March 30, 2003: Triple H beats Hurricane clean in about four minutes as the opener of the Raw After Wrestlemania.

The next few months he's still in the periphery of various other people's feud against Evolution, beating them in a tag match with Booker T, losing in a six man teaming with Michaels and Nash, and racking up pinfall losses against Orton and Flair. By September he was in an angle with Rosey The Superhero In Training (IT SPELLED poo poo LOL).

Hurricane next crossed paths with Triple H in 2005, which was when HHH beat Hurricane, Rosey, and Hurricane/Rosey in a tag match which was part of him dropping the superhero gimmick and doing the Gregory Helms stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The epitome of Triple H's tendency to bury guys for no discernible benefit was when London and Kendrick ran in to help a babyface Trips only for him to pause, let the crowd cheer this possible cool new faction... and KICK WHAM PEDIGREES.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

The epitome of Triple H's tendency to bury guys for no discernible benefit was when London and Kendrick ran in to help a babyface Trips only for him to pause, let the crowd cheer this possible cool new faction... and KICK WHAM PEDIGREES.

Austin would turn on people and they loved the Rattlesnake, why not spare a cup of pops for your ol' pal Triple H too, huh?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The one where everyone including the announcers walked out on him during the vote of no confidence only for Zack Ryder to return to support him was at least a good moment where he was appreciative of it.

Oh wait, that also ended in KICK WHAM PEDIGREE.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What was/is the beef between Jerry Lawler and the Honky Tonk Man?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't this right after they had been tag champions for like a year and a half?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I still love that Vince's biggest interview, the source of most of our knowledge about the man's life, is an interview with Playboy. It's so utterly fitting.

NutShellBill posted:

I fully recommend checking out the Rock/Hurricane mini-feud from early 2003 on Youtube. Rock makes him a star over the course of 3 weeks. And Triple H undoes it in one. On a whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqRrfrcB8I

Entire feud in fifteen minutes. It definitely holds up well.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I like the bit where Rock lambasts Hurricane for "doing that unrealistic crap" (referring to the WHOOSH sound effect that plays whenever Hurricane jumps out of shot), then starts talking back to the crowd during a backstage bit even though he shouldn't really be able to hear them... and then he sells it when Hurricane flies off at the end.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Watching reviews of old WCW shows from their worst year, I gotta know, did anyone ever decide to just no-sell JJ's lovely guitar shots? Haven't seen that in WCW but did that ever happen in TNA or maybe non-TNA appearances?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

2003 heel rock was so good. Partly because it was rock and partly because it was so short it never had a chance to get stale

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My favorite bit of Hollywood Rock was during the "small penis" subplot where as part of his denial he'd pat his trackpants down near the knee and go "whoa whoa don't get mad, [euphemism for penis i forget]!"

And then later he was in the ring in trunks and was against accused of having a small penis and he still just patted his bare leg down near the knee, implying he had an invisible/ghost penis.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It was probably strudel, which is just a bizarre euphemism in general.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
love the look of disappointment on ric's face

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Vandar posted:

I still love that Vince's biggest interview, the source of most of our knowledge about the man's life, is an interview with Playboy. It's so utterly fitting.

Being fair there was a long period where Playboy was famous for the quality of their interviews.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

It was probably strudel, which is just a bizarre euphemism in general.
Let the record show on review of the video comp posted above, it was "EASY BIG FELLA" as he slapped his lower thigh (8m30s) though it doesn't contain the later version while just wearing trunks. I'm worried I made that up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vandar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqRrfrcB8I

Entire feud in fifteen minutes. It definitely holds up well.

He’s had much bigger interviews he was just a huge rear end in a top hat during them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lamuella posted:

Being fair there was a long period where Playboy was famous for the quality of their interviews.

They also paid some of the best page rates in the business (I say that in the past tense because I'm not even sure what they are now, did they go all digital or what.)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I like the bit where Rock lambasts Hurricane for "doing that unrealistic crap" (referring to the WHOOSH sound effect that plays whenever Hurricane jumps out of shot), then starts talking back to the crowd during a backstage bit even though he shouldn't really be able to hear them... and then he sells it when Hurricane flies off at the end.

that, and "you're not a real superhero (like the Scorpion King)" are the poo poo that kill me, where he takes an easy shot at Hurricane's gimmick and instead turns the punchline on himself, seamlessly

it is such good heel comedy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that, and "you're not a real superhero (like the Scorpion King)" are the poo poo that kill me, where he takes an easy shot at Hurricane's gimmick and instead turns the punchline on himself, seamlessly

it is such good heel comedy

The Rock was known to be willing to do business with drat near everyone. I remember there being a quote where he bemoaned the attitude of certain top guys and said something to the effect of "Shut up, go out there and do business".

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cripes if anything about that interview is true Vince never should have had the opportunity to control anything larger than a broom closet.