Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

heel turn posted:

Did Barber actually finish the book?

I'm assuming they were able to get Kaos on the XPW episode, since he's still active in SoCal and runs the Santino Bros school. I'm hoping they managed to find out where Messiah has been hiding for the past couple years, so we get the story of his attack directly from him. Other than those two, I'm not sure who would be available since a lot of the earlier XPW guys are dead. I guess they could get Shane Douglas to talk about the move to Philadelphia and everything at the end of XPW.

Getting Sabu on that episode would be a treat. He had a lot of unfavorable things to say about working for XPW in his book (which loving rules).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I remember seeing XPW on TV as a dumb, edgelord adjacent teenager and thinking it was trashy and low rent even back then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

I remember seeing XPW on TV as a dumb, edgelord adjacent teenager and thinking it was trashy and low rent even back then.

Yeah, a friend of mine had a small blog where he talked about comics and wrestling and such and out of the blue he got sent a handful of DVDs to review (not from the company, I think, but somebody wanting him to roast them) and one was XPW and I don't think we made it through more than a couple of matches.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My only exposure to XPW was being a teenager and seeing the DVDs at the mall in the same section as the backyard wrestling and FMW DVDs, finding out they had a "Buck naked match" and getting let down that there was no actual nudity in it. Then of course New Jack throwing Vic Grimes off the scaffolding and it being labeled as "Owen Hart death" on Livewire

I think it was also the promotion where Juvi cut his really weird promo where he compared himself to The Rock

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

My only exposure to XPW was being a teenager and seeing the DVDs at the mall in the same section as the backyard wrestling and FMW DVDs, finding out they had a "Buck naked match" and getting let down that there was no actual nudity in it. Then of course New Jack throwing Vic Grimes off the scaffolding and it being labeled as "Owen Hart death" on Livewire

I think it was also the promotion where Juvi cut his really weird promo where he compared himself to The Rock

Yeah, he spends most of the promo saying gently caress You to individual fans

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure Juvi was doing Rock-esque promos in the dying days of WCW when he joined the Filthy Animals. I'm not sure if it was a decision by him or Russo to do them, but they were not good.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, a friend of mine had a small blog where he talked about comics and wrestling and such and out of the blue he got sent a handful of DVDs to review (not from the company, I think, but somebody wanting him to roast them) and one was XPW and I don't think we made it through more than a couple of matches.

They even had what appeared to be a low-rent HHH (Damien Steele).

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

Haha, this reminds me of when I used to write music reviews years ago and the dude that was in charge of handing out the promos would sneak in some stuff he knew I'd hate because he wanted to see me tear it apart.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Juvi was just really excited to be in a juicy house with all those juicy people

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm pretty sure Juvi was doing Rock-esque promos in the dying days of WCW when he joined the Filthy Animals. I'm not sure if it was a decision by him or Russo to do them, but they were not good.
I'm guessing Russo since there was a short period where they were just blatantly ripping off WWF characters without a care (e.g. Buzzkill)

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I thought the story with Juvi was that Russo/creative gave him his Rock gimmick as a parody type deal but it led to Juvi believing he was legitimately a star on that level.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MDK all loving day

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Benne posted:

MDK all loving day

:yeah::black101:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I do not remember Nick negotiating to try and get back out there.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MDK

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
RIP Justice Pain :(

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Benne posted:

RIP Justice Pain :(

RSP's heel move after Justice's death... :perfect:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That Arquette match is loving wild man

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What a great episode. So excited for Tournament of Survival.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
That was even better than I could have possibly imagined. Absolutely perfect encapsulation of why we love Nick Gage and why his story is worth telling.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The extent of my Nick Gage knowledge is "former CZW guy, robbed a bank, came back and now is cool as gently caress on GCW". So getting to the Tournament of Death was :stonk:

This is already so good.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

MDK

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:respek:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's so much like Narfi. ivarstead. peace brother

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This is a high point for the series, just the perfect story to tell and it's so well told. They got the exact right people to talk about Gage. MDK

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
How long does it usually take for the episode to appear on Vice's site? Or youtube?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is a high point for the series, just the perfect story to tell and it's so well told. They got the exact right people to talk about Gage. MDK
The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure that, from a storytelling standpoint, it's the best episode of the series to date. Others, like Benoit, might be "better documentaries" on some level, and granted, I know some of the principles in the Gage episode personally, but I feel like they nailed it from a narrative point of view in a way that even the best episodes hadn't previously.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Digital Jedi posted:

How long does it usually take for the episode to appear on Vice's site? Or youtube?

The bootlegs started going up on Youtube an hour ago, they might put it up on the official channel tomorrow

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah it usually goes up the day after. A lot of shows have to wait for the West Coast airing and late-night reruns before they can put it up on-demand.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

If it's like how they handled last season, there will be no official YouTube uploads from this point forward, and that is most likely the case since they handled the premiere the same way. Last season, I recall VICETV.com and the VICE TV app having the episodes up right away, but that's not the case now so it'll probably be up either at the top of the hour when the west coast premiere is over or tomorrow morning, methinks.

That said, as alluded to above, YouTube enforcement has been...lax.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I knew the bulletpoints of Gage's story but after watching it in full, MDK MDK MDK

I do love Moxley trying to piss as many people off as possible with his "Vince McMahon wishes he could have someone like Nick Gage" comment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Next season hopefully

The rise and fall and rise and faaaaaaaaaaaall of Sick Nick Mondo

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
it just came available on VICETV.com so probably was waiting for the west coast to be over

Edit: That was a great episode. I don't think I ever heard of Gage before this so everything was new to me. What a crazy guy and a story too. Even though it is a tough/sad/hard story it really wasn't a down feeling episode to me.

Felt like Mox wanted to say that Vince line forever.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 14, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

As another person knowing little about Nick Gage before this. Holy gently caress.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

just absolutely loving sobbed at the end. what a story.

was Brett booking him while fully aware of his substance abuse and troubles? if so, gently caress him. “Oh I took him to Burger King on the way to the police station” who gives a poo poo, you encouraged his behavior to make a buck and capitalized on his name as soon as he got out. Carny twerp.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

e: phone postin’, whoops

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

the escape goat posted:

just absolutely loving sobbed at the end. what a story.

was Brett booking him while fully aware of his substance abuse and troubles? if so, gently caress him. “Oh I took him to Burger King on the way to the police station” who gives a poo poo, you encouraged his behavior to make a buck and capitalized on his name as soon as he got out. Carny twerp.
...no. In 2010, Brett was just a referee and several years away from buying JCW to rebrand as GCW. Brett ain't perfect, but he's been an incredible friend to Nick and anyone who accuses him of using/exploiting the guy has no idea what they're talking about.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

davidbix posted:

...no. In 2010, Brett was just a referee and several years away from buying JCW to rebrand as GCW. Brett ain't perfect, but he's been an incredible friend to Nick and anyone who accuses him of using/exploiting the guy has no idea what they're talking about.

I’m taking what I saw from the episode, but as always appreciate your input because you’re definitely more stuck in on the wrestling world and background than I am. Knowing that he wasn’t the promoter/booker at the time is definitely a good thing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

davidbix posted:

buying JCW to rebrand as GCW.

I had no idea this was the origin of GCW :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

davidbix posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure that, from a storytelling standpoint, it's the best episode of the series to date. Others, like Benoit, might be "better documentaries" on some level, and granted, I know some of the principles in the Gage episode personally, but I feel like they nailed it from a narrative point of view in a way that even the best episodes hadn't previously.

For me, it was great because the people interviewed wanted to talk about Gage instead of "needing" to talk about the subject. Plus, it's one of the few subjects (if not the only one) that ends on a positive note. Nerder Death Kill