Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Ring posted:

Dark Side of the Ring is a Canadian[1] documentary television series produced by Vice Studios. The series focuses on controversial subjects and events within the realm of professional wrestling.[2]

The series premiered on Viceland on April 10, 2019.[3] On July 23, 2019, Dark Side of the Ring was renewed for a second season of 10 episodes, which premiered in 2020. For season 2, the series became a co-production with Canadian streaming service Crave (as part of owner Bell Media's distribution pact with Vice).[1] An aftershow hosted by Chris Gethard, Dark Side of the Ring: After Dark, was also added.[4]

https://nypost.com/2021/06/16/chynas-side-of-tragic-post-wwe-fall-will-finally-be-told/ posted:

Chyna’s side of tragic post-WWE fall will finally be told in VICE documentary

Joanie “Chyna” Laurer’s side of her story is finally getting the chance to be told.

The new documentary about the WWE legend’s rise and fall, “VICE VERSA: Chyna,” will air Thursday at 9 p.m. on VICE TV — the same network known for its “Dark Side of the Ring” series. The film, directed by Marah Strauch of “Sunshine Superman,” gives a deep and emotional look into Laurer’s career, upbringing and the factors that led to her life spiraling out of control before her deadly 2016 overdose at the age of 46.

https://www.wwe.com/article/ae-wwe-studios-biography-most-wanted-treasures posted:

A&E and WWE to produce all-new "Biography" editions and "WWE's Most Wanted Treasures" series

A&E Network and WWE Studios are giving fans an exclusive look behind the curtain in an all-new Sunday night programming partnership. With unprecedented access to WWE’s archive, the ten-week programming block features eight original two-hour documentaries under the award-winning “Biography” banner showcasing the stories behind some of the most memorable WWE Superstars of all time including "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, “Macho Man” Randy Savage, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, Booker T, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Mick Foley and Ultimate Warrior. The new “Biography” specials are helmed by some of the industry’s top directors and storytellers to chronicle the success of these WWE Legends and their lasting mark on both sports entertainment and popular culture. Each special will air weekly at 8pm ET/PT beginning Sunday, April 18.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is there a non-geoblocked part 1 anywhere?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

For peeps who aren't 'murican

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsiVZqBZsU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Part 1 is very good watch it ASAP

I'm a person who said, on this board as a matter of fact, that I didn't get why he even got one since I didn't think anything was particularly scandalous about him until he died and WELP

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

After watching the first episode Brian and Melanie are garbage tier people. At least Brian was there for the kids. But Melanie....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Caught up on part 1, really drat good and the stuff with Rochelle and Melanie is absolutely horrifying.

On a lighter note, Kim's complete contempt for both Bischoff and McMahon is really quite something, as well as his pure glee about the fact they either still don't get (or refuse to accept) that they got conned.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Thank you!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Seams posted:

Thank you!

is ur username pronounced "shawms"?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Man, I vaguely knew the story about custody but I didn't know the full extent of how awful Melanie is.

Kim Wood is hilarious. Dark Side of the Ring is popular at my work, even among the non wrestling fans so I think we'll be quoting him for months.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

grizzly, dynamite and kanyan aren't gonna be fun episodes

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Smoking Crow posted:

grizzly, dynamite and kanyan aren't gonna be fun episodes

The Kanyon episode is going to kill me.

I wonder if they interviewed Brian Cage for that one?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

What is David Arquette being interviewed for? Kanyon?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hockles posted:

The Nick Gage episode. Gage almost killed him in a deathmatch

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Hockles posted:

Nick "mother loving" Gage.

MDK All Day

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ah, thank you. I know nothing about him

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Hockles posted:

Ah, thank you. I know nothing about him

Just never further that David Arquette is a former WCW World Heavyweight champion.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Oil! posted:

Just never further that David Arquette is a former WCW World Heavyweight champion.

Wasn't the deathmatch his misguided attempt at "doing right" by wrestling fans for that?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

Wasn't the deathmatch his misguided attempt at "doing right" by wrestling fans for that?

No, he had a whole series of matches as part of a "doing right" tour for a year or two before the pandemic. He was still wrestling after the deathmatch.

He had a documentary that came out called "You cannot kill David Arquette" which is very entertaining but constructed and sometimes goes out of its way to work the audience.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah Arquette is a lifelong wrestling fan who's always been a little embarrassed by the WCW thing (didn't he try to talk them out of it at one point?), so he went out of his way to get proper training and do "real" matches just to show that he could do it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"You Cannot Kill David Arquette" showed Luke Perry driving David to the ER after that match while he holds a towel over his neck wound :stare:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Dango Bango posted:

"You Cannot Kill David Arquette" showed Luke Perry driving David to the ER after that match while he holds a towel over his neck wound :stare:

Still not the worst wrestling injury in the documentary.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm consistently impressed with how awesome these flashback/dramatization shots look.

Oh my god Bischoff busting out the Puppet Master Defense.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 3, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The thing that's been almost completely forgotten is that Arquette was a last minute sub for [disgraced penis wrestler] after [disgraced penis wrestler] tore his pec. Arquette had been talking to GCW about doing something on that show—I think as Ethan Page's opponent—but IIRC, he wasn't sure he would be available. By the time they knew he was available, they needed a sub for the main event.

They were actually having a hell of a match until it got out of control. Arquette has no problem admitting that it was his fault—he caused the neck cut by freaking out when Gage was using a piece of glass on him in an entirely working way—and there are no hard feelings.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Pillman Part 1 was okay. It felt like there was quite a bit missing from his background and personal behaviour anecdotes, which was seemingly confirmed by some of the posts in the old thread. Also, I don't usually have a problem with the re-enactments but some of the ones in this episode rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, maybe because they depicted heartbreaking family experiences rather than shady business dealings or whatever.

Melanie though, man, I know she was/is a terrible person but she just looked absolutely knackered. Don't do hard drugs kids!

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 3, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm consistently impressed with how awesome these flashback/dramatization shots look.

Oh my god Bischoff busting out the Puppet Master Defense.

These add so much aura to the stories. Whoever came up with idea is brilliant. Not seeing the faces makes the difference.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Pillman Part 1 was okay. It felt like there was quite a bit missing from his background and personal behaviour anecdotes, which was seemingly confirmed by some of the posts in the old thread. Also, I don't usually have a problem with the re-enactments but some of the ones in this episode rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, maybe because they depicted heartbreaking family experiences rather than shady business dealings or whatever.

Melanie though, man, I know she was/is a terrible person but she just looked absolutely knackered. Don't do hard drugs kids!

That was some whiplash when they showed her glamor picture and then jump cut to her now. I'm assuming part 2 will go more in depth with some this poo poo because it seemed like part one was all set up.

I checked out the Confidential series thing they did and it's fine, I kinda wish they'd had more than a couple of minutes to talk about stuff in between segments.

The bts bit about Abbey following the one dude through the house with scissors in his mouth after asking if he could stab him was some serious :dogbutton:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
read the title as “vince’s dark side of the ring”

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

WatermelonGun posted:

read the title as “vince’s dark side of the ring”

i thought that's what it was until i read this post

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I have to say, I've never seen anything with Pillman's strength coach until this and this guy is incredible.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

TheKingslayer posted:

I have to say, I've never seen anything with Pillman's strength coach until this and this guy is incredible.

Seriously where has this man been hiding

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TheKingslayer posted:

definitely the star of the doc. for like... a guy who is seemingly just some guy the *clarity* he has is somethin else lol

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think it really speaks to how deluded the old school wrestling types were that they were working the marks when people from outside the business knew exactly how to manipulate them.

Yo seriously though, where can I get those cool sunglasses Pillman is wearing in some of these videos? Those things are amazing.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 3, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TheKingslayer posted:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1388971435222241310

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

I think it really speaks to how deluded the old school wrestling types were that they were working the marks when people from outside the business knew exactly how to manipulate them.

Yo seriously though, where can I get those cool sunglasses Pillman is wearing in some of these videos? Those things are amazing.

I didn't realize until this moment that these sunglasses said "screw you": https://www.differio.com/circle-lens-sunglasses.html?ff=2&fp=2458

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well I'll be damned. I never noticed that either

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Since the season isn't quite started this doesn't feel too off topic.

I somehow missed the episode on Gino Hernandez when it aired and I just watched the director's cut of it on YouTube. This whole thing is insane. Normally after something like this I could land on my own personal opinion on what really happened but I have no clue.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

For anyone who has watched the original TV cuts and the director's cuts of the episodes that have had both, is there enough new and/or interesting stuff in the director's cuts to make them worth watching?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

TheKingslayer posted:

This whole thing is insane. Normally after something like this I could land on my own personal opinion on what really happened but I have no clue.

Yeah I really feel the Gino episode is the hidden gem of the whole series

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Full Pillman episode tonight at 9 ET. I haven't seen the first hour yet so this could be a rough one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only time I've seen Melanie was that weird interview on Raw and I know that was 23 years ago but she ... hasn't aged well

Also :lol: Bischoff still won't admit that Pillman played him

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 7, 2021