Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ymgve posted:

The last time I stopped was when I was doing a sonar ping and saw the grid fall down into nothingness, and far out in that nothing the grid showed a leviathan

That might have just been the edge of the map. It turns into a steep cliff with a repeating texture and if you try to keep going you get swarmed by adult Ghost Leviathans. A not so subtle way of telling you there's nothing out there and you need to turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ymgve posted:

Also, is Below Zero more or less scary than original Subnautica? Going down to the 500m mark now in Subnautica and this might be the 4-5th time I've noped out of the game after reaching that point.

Once you've played through Subnautica you'll probably be used to stuff like that and BZ doesn't really do anything very different. It's the same game with some sweet new biomes (none of which are all that spoopy) and a few mechanics mostly to do with hanging around on the surface. You're also never really as alone in BZ, people have recently been everywhere you go and lived to tell the tale and gripe about the wildlife and some are still there

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah the biome design in BZ is super good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Soundtrack is out on spotify and kinda rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MMDg0moXc

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I played the beta for about an hour today just to make sure my computer was running it all right for tomorrow. About 40 minutes and I decided I'd seen enough and just decided to swim out and one random direction as long as it took for something to come by and eat me. Never happened. I'm not sure if I just pick the wrong direction for killer scary things or if the map is bigger but I feel like it would have taken me like 7 minutes in the original game.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think one of the early biomes in BZ with all the twisty coral tubes looks pretty freaky.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I think recharging the Cyclops was a thing I did once before finding alien batteries...the thermal mod is basically unlimited power with all of the thermal vents peppered around the map. I never really thought about it.
:shrug:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Live

https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/1393061613406728192

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Ending was pretty good.

I think I might have missed whatever time capsule if there was one though :ohdear:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'll wait for the hotfix first.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm all for flogging this dead horse of a videogame conversation!

The Cyclops had enough power to get to and fro anywhere without issue, the trouble was using its go-fast mode and all its cool powerups; the Seatrucks's are just weaker (if more power efficient). More importantly, when you take the Cyclops somewhere, you take everything with you. *Everything.* No need to turn around cuz you ran outa cargo capacity, need the mod station, need to get that stash of 200 titanium, need to charge batteries, etc etc. Likewise with food/h20, but the StillSuit solved that.

Also, and this is rather important for a video game where you're trying to have fun, the Moth and Cyclops are much *cooler* than the lamentably-named Truck.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Damnit, I could have been playing it the past few hours instead of dicking around.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Thought I could load this up and walk through the door to the ending cutscene but looks like my save is gone. Oh well, worth playing through it again to have the complete experience of the finished game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I thought the release was gonna be 1500 UTC?

Not gonna kick a gift-horse in the dick, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Games looks fantastic and runs really well! No glitches or anything yet, on-land collision is a bit weird, but mostly in that way of games that don't want you climbing or monkeying around terrain. Few times afraid II got myself stuck on something but was able to wiggle or hop out.

So far my biggest gripe is that I got one part of the seatruck scanned and... how is that a truck? I've been hearing folks fuss about it for a long time, and I've read the logs about adding crap to it eventually once I build it, so I guess I get why they went with "truck" as the name but still -- I was expecting basically a pickup truck that could drive into the water and be a little mini-sub. Now I'm doubting if this thing can go on land and I'm also just know realizing it's an outright replacement and I probably won't get the cyclops option at all :c

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally going to make this game unhidden in my library again :)

This is going to be a fun weekend

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Quick question with a hopefully spoiler free answer: Will Mrs Splicer lose out on much story if she just plays below zero or does it work standalone?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There is one very major throwback to the first game, but it stands alone just fine without context. Honestly? If you must play only one of them play the first, imo. One or two QoL toys aren't worth the less-cool overall experience, imo.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Oh my, you can independently toggle the thing and the thing on the thing now?

Best. Game. Ever.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

uXs posted:

Oh my, you can independently toggle the thing and the thing on the thing now?

Best. Game. Ever.

The what and the what on the what?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serephina posted:

There is one very major throwback to the first game, but it stands alone just fine without context. Honestly? If you must play only one of them play the first, imo. One or two QoL toys aren't worth the less-cool overall experience, imo.
What makes it less cool? I've played (most of) the first one but playing a lady and the Arctic aesthetic are both big selling points for her so it's probably below zero or nothing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh in that case go BZ sure why not. First game had better mystery/atmosphere, better breadcrumbs (imo), scarier environs. The arctic themes are reasonably present and the protag is less of a blank slate in BZ (she talks to herself a lot), so if those are your qualifiers then yea go BZ.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 14, 2021

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

BZ's main character is voiced by whoever voiced Ashley from Mass Effect, I swear in EA she was English.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I enjoy the new VA for the PDA in BZ and how it is sassier then before

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

What makes it less cool? I've played (most of) the first one but playing a lady and the Arctic aesthetic are both big selling points for her so it's probably below zero or nothing.

If she likes those she'll like it, I agree it didn't quite grab me the same but that's cause I'd already played the first and they're the same loving game; any differences we're talking about here are so marginal as to be meaningless if you haven't sunk dozens of hours into both

BZ does assume you know about the plot of the first, it'll just casually reference kharaa and expect you to already know why that's bad news or name-drop events from the first with little explanation, but it's not impenetrable without that context and you're spending 90% of your game time chasing fish anyway

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 14, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If she likes those she'll like it, I agree it didn't quite grab me the same but that's cause I'd already played the first and they're the same loving game; any differences we're talking about here are so marginal as to be meaningless if you haven't sunk dozens of hours into both

Oh yea, that's a good way of putting it. It's one of those sequels that's just "more of what you love", for better or worse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

BZ does assume you know about the plot of the first, it'll just casually reference kharaa and expect you to already know why that's bad news or name-drop events from the first with little explanation, but it's not impenetrable without that context and you're spending 90% of your game time chasing fish anyway
Thanks, that's the stuff I was poorly asking for. I'll tell her to give me a shout if she hits any confusing lore.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Make her play NS2 so she gets the full Kharaa lore. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dyz posted:

Make her play NS2 so she gets the full Kharaa lore. :v:
...how the gently caress did I never make the connection. We both have the pre order armour for christ's sake

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh, for shame.

edit: UW has made three games, the first stuffed with Khaara and namedropping Alterra everywhere. Like, not only do you have to hand in your commander's badge alongside your nerd cred, you should get re-tested for your driver's license as you're clearly missing obvious things coming straight at you.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 14, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm gonna finish my current hardcore run of the base game before getting BZ. I've gotten to the cyclops+prawn stage, so I'm likely to win for the first time.

The secret to not dying in wrecks is the pathfinder tool. Not only do the arrows work quite well, but it almost replaces the flashlight.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I'll wait for the hotfix first.

Below Zero is completely fine, runs better than the base game for me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm in my mid-thirties and the original subnautica was the first original IP video game in probably a good 15 years that I really got lost in. I'm so hyped for starting it up tonight. I'm sure it won't be the same experience but I don't care.

I will say, I do hope at some point they mod the new craftables into the old game. From the hour or so so far I've played of below zero It seems like the base building is probably more rewarding in the original game, just because there's a lot more open space in og.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The sweeps, the bleeps, and the creeps!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Splicer posted:

I wish I could erase my Subnautica 1 memories to experience this sequel fresh. A lot of things are going to be underwhelming no matter how they made the sequel because you've already experienced or dealt with the feelings from the original, we've already gout out ocean legs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I played the first game over the course of the past month or so, so it's still fresh in my mind and although I liked it a lot, it's not like an unassailable classic in my mind, so I'm wondering how I will feel about the sequel.

First impressions: Wow it runs a lot smoother, and wow the writing and voice acting seems pretty ham-fisted, but hopefully it goes somewhere!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Really excited to be playing this. Man they really dump you into the alien poo poo right away

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I played the first game over the course of the past month or so, so it's still fresh in my mind and although I liked it a lot, it's not like an unassailable classic in my mind, so I'm wondering how I will feel about the sequel.

First impressions: Wow it runs a lot smoother, and wow the writing and voice acting seems pretty ham-fisted, but hopefully it goes somewhere!

I feel like the big reason I love subnautica so much is I've always been very much about theme and atmosphere in games. Most of the game series I loved growing up were fairly buggy, just because they were ambitious games aimed at a small market. I tend to not really consider bugs a part of the experience unless they literally can't be avoided and break the game.

If you thinks about subnautica in terms of whether or not it's a polished, professional product there are still things like sound direction that are impressive but it's certainly got legitimate flaws.

If you think about subnautica as something that delivered a unique, atmospheric experience it's nearly beyond reproach.

I said this earlier but the only bug that ever really took me out of the experience was the way your Cyclops would get stuck on some end-game environments. The only other criticism I might have is I always hate it when predators in video games are always aggro and never just ignore you. But that's a very specific minor complaint about very specific regions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first shark in sub zero is scarier than the adorable first shark in the og. Mean chompy boy! Won't even let me get close enough to scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I assumed that poster was referring to the independent buttons for controlling the light and map on the seaglide.