Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I don't like that the spiky rocks hurt you when you fly over them.

Yeah this is incredibly annoying to the point where it seems it might not be intentional?? There are several rooms where I've had flying and it doesn't matter cuz all the rocks are now spike rocks so I still can't get across.

edit: But then again spike rocks are often placed on the inside edges of patterns of rocks and obstacles so maybe they really are intended to be speed bumps for players with flight, which sucks rear end if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Just had by far my fastest/most fun end-boss kill fighting beast using fast bombs + scatter bombs + butt bombs. Only had 4 hearts after the horseman phase but I had about 50 bombs as well and was basically a B52 carpet bombing. Do bombs normally curve into him in that fight or was that a strange attractor effect?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

yorkinshire posted:

Just had by far my fastest/most fun end-boss kill fighting beast using fast bombs + scatter bombs + butt bombs. Only had 4 hearts after the horseman phase but I had about 50 bombs as well and was basically a B52 carpet bombing. Do bombs normally curve into him in that fight or was that a strange attractor effect?

they drop right onto him, always be bombing

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Its a consequence if the sideways scrolling. If you drop them when the screen isnt moving they fall straight down

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Thanks Rock Bottom+Soy Milk combo for making Tainted Cain runs take a reasonable amount of time :D

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah this is incredibly annoying to the point where it seems it might not be intentional?? There are several rooms where I've had flying and it doesn't matter cuz all the rocks are now spike rocks so I still can't get across.

edit: But then again spike rocks are often placed on the inside edges of patterns of rocks and obstacles so maybe they really are intended to be speed bumps for players with flight, which sucks rear end if so

Update: It is intentional, I have since picked up a few items that give you stompy like Lard and if you have flying you still destroy spike rocks without taking damage as normal. That stinks.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

maybe don't fly into the spiked rocks OP. lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's such a downer to have a killer run going, fight Mega Satan, and then not have the void portal appear.

On another note, Schoolbag with Moving Box + Spindown Die is a pretty fun combo. Only 12 rerolls til godhead? No problemo!

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Lol, Flat File completely neuters the Cursed! challenge.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

And with that Tainted Apollyon win I've now fully closed out the Alt Path! Never have to do Mines/Ashpit again! But Downpour II will still be seeing me for a long time :)

Regardless of his unfinished state, I do prefer Tainted Apollyon to normal Apollyon by quite a bit. Getting a nice swarm going can counter whatever other badness happens to you on a run and I do like that. Much more reliable than Void is at doing that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't really mind the Mines all that much, but Ashpit is possibly my most despised level in the entire game. Those spikey headed enemies that move erratically gets in so many cheap shots. The bone flies and big skeletons are also horrible to deal with.

The actual Mausolean/Ghenna levels aren't too bad to me, but the entrance fee taking from your armored hearts first really turns me off of going there outside of Corpse runs.

Looks like Tough Love works like how it did in the original game. Proc chance is 1/(10 - Isaac's Luck). And Apple! works similarly, only it's at 15 instead of 10. That'd explain why they only proc like half the time at 1 below max luck, then suddenly proc 100% of the time when you hit it. That being said not all luck based effects work the same way, with some of them looking like they work far more linearly than exponentially.

quote:

Dr. Fetus bombs now scale with the player’s tear size and are now immune to knockback from their own explosions. The damage formula of the bombs has changed from damage * 5 + 30 to damage * 10.

When were these patch notes written? Cause this is only true... if the bombs would have dealt 60 or less damage. If it's above that, it uses the old formula instead. :psyduck:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 14, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The purple skulls that shoot bones super fast are my most hated in there and also what's with those super tiny carrion queen enemies you can barely see where you're supposed to hit them? Just weird. Many a tainted lost attempt of mine died on Ashpit...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
How do you not eat poo poo in the room with four homing brimstone vis in the corners behind rocks? The one where you have to run around hitting buttons to open up the middle, final button?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

And with that Tainted Apollyon win I've now fully closed out the Alt Path! Never have to do Mines/Ashpit again! But Downpour II will still be seeing me for a long time :)

Regardless of his unfinished state, I do prefer Tainted Apollyon to normal Apollyon by quite a bit. Getting a nice swarm going can counter whatever other badness happens to you on a run and I do like that. Much more reliable than Void is at doing that.

Tainted Apollyon is probably what normal Apollyon was intended to be- a reliable, stable but not absurdly powerful character- but never got to because Void is just bad as a six-room recharge for a whole bunch of reasons. The only problem T.Apollyon has is that he's one of three characters in the game where legit every run will start to look the same, and unlike T.Cain you can't just blame yourself for that.

T.Apollyon and T.Forgotten seem cool but they're also just characters you pick when you know how you want your run to go regardless of item luck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah tainted appolyon is really boring, it's as if most of the items in the game are the same reasonably strong item every time. That's powerful but it completely undermines the build randomness that makes BoI fun. Tainted Appolyon is weaker since you aren't guaranteed a strong item every time but he's better designed because he plays out differently run to run.

Tainted Forgotten should really be a challenge rather than a character.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

So I set out to unlock the Tainted Keeper. First run, goes well, I go to fight Mom, and I realize I don't have a Fool card or way of getting back. Second run, goes well, heading up, and I forgot to leave a trinket to get a cracked key piece. I feel like a goober.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well that was sure a stressful as hell run. Even with all that power, doing both Boss Rush and Hush in one go was a hell of a time. Glowing Hourglass is at least one of the few lifelines you can use to recover a Holy Card at least.

And then I hosed up and accidentally went to the Cathedral when I had the Negative. Whoops.

EDIT: Immediately ate poo poo in my next run. :shepface:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 14, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Araxxor posted:

I don't really mind the Mines all that much, but Ashpit is possibly my most despised level in the entire game. Those spikey headed enemies that move erratically gets in so many cheap shots. The bone flies and big skeletons are also horrible to deal with.

The actual Mausolean/Ghenna levels aren't too bad to me, but the entrance fee taking from your armored hearts first really turns me off of going there outside of Corpse runs.

Yeah, I never go to the mines/ashpit anymore unless I'm shooting for Mother. For me at least it's maybe the high point of the game's difficulty curve while caves2/depths1 is around the lowest, so the extra blind item is super not worth it. Also agreed on losing 2 soul hearts to get into the mausoleum being a huge turn off, but I feel like it's more worth it since you get an extra shop, item room, and floor where you don't take full hearts of damage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oh cool, Hush is yet another boss Star of Bethlehem doesn't work on. I guess the only boss armor bosses it's good for are Ultra Greed and Delirium.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I was pissed off with Soul of the Lost because I used it thinking I could pick up a free devil deal like he can. Nope! Bullshit.

I feel like in games I will always want to do Basement 1-->Basement 2-->Downpour II-->Caves 2 cause it avoids Labyrinth curse and I get more shops and potential deal rooms. I feel like Caves is the worst time to get Labyrinth curse and that guarantees you won't get it on Caves floors. I don't think Downpour/Dross is any harder than Flooded Caves or even Catacombs.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 14, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm surprised how many people are sleeping on the knife orbital - I'd consider that a much better reason to do Mines II than the extra mystery item. It does a crazy amount of damage at infinite range through obstacles and enemies, which both trivialises quite a few rooms and gives you a major boost on bosses for the rest of the run if you're not already totally broken.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

It's good but to get it you always have to do the mirror realm and the chase and I think on non-unlock runs people just don't want to be bothered with all that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This seed with Lazarus where I accidentally skipped downpour while going for mother had 2 planetariums in a row, without skipping items or having the planetarium trinket. What are the odds...

Because one of them was Luna I kept going, gambling on the minuscule chance of an R key. Didn't end up getting one but it was a fun run regardless.

Next round was an easy win with lemegeton, such an insane active item. I got sigil of baphomet which kept my item wisps from disappearing pretty much ever outside of bosses and gnawed leaf too which was very very overkill. 11/17 regular characters done now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah it's a really good addition to your DPS, the problem is they're a lot of hassle to get. Knife Piece 1 has the mirror world incentive which is really good and can be pretty brisk, but 2 requires going through that repetitive chase sequence. It's really effortless on Azazel and the Losts who can basically skip the entire thing, but it takes a lot of time for the rest of the cast.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My most hated new enemies are the whip guys. Those fuckers are so quick on the draw.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Mine are still the mini pins.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
C'mon Ed, where are my mods, get that patch going.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Mine are still the mini pins.

These are right on the edge for me. I like having enemies that move differently, but I'm sure these things are like wonky like Pin and will one day wreck a good run and then I will hate them forever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They really don't give you much chance to react the first time they pop up, that's for sure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I hate them but I'll admit I'm also conflicted on them. They're a bit unfair but they also generally appear during the easiest parts of the game (caves 2 and depths 1) that could use the difficulty.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they should start off poking out of the ground and go back in before they start attacking. Like how the other burrowing enemies in the game give you a warning that they're there at the start of the room (and the hands have the sound cue).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think they should start off poking out of the ground and go back in before they start attacking. Like how the other burrowing enemies in the game give you a warning that they're there at the start of the room (and the hands have the sound cue).

Yeah that's a good point. By far the most dangerous time with them is when you enter a room, key on a different enemy, and then surprise there are mini pins in here.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
getting boss rush, hush, cathedral, chest and mega satan marks as tainted eden but the delirium portal doesnt spawn. epic ftw gaming, love this game, loving cant get enough of it. WIN!!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

getting boss rush, hush, cathedral, chest and mega satan marks as tainted eden but the delirium portal doesnt spawn. epic ftw gaming, love this game, loving cant get enough of it. WIN!!!

woot. love that cutscene starting up "50" percent of the time

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My least favorite enemies lately are hopping keeper heads

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

good news: mods will be back soon and there was a mod that let you make the Void portal guaranteed after Blue Baby, The Lamb, and Mega Satan
bad news: that mod also broke Mega Satan checkmarks because of the way the cutscene trigger works and that will probably still be the case with Repentance

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont do mods, sorry.

anyway tainted blue baby where i hosed up satan lamb and mega satan cause i found the stairway, found genesis, and stocked on angel room items. once again, no void portal. sick.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I like the small pins cause they at least warn you. They drove me nuts at first but ive developed a sense for when theyre around.

Maybe my most hated are those red bone meat enemies you can see from the very start that fire in the cardinal directions. Hard to get a clear shot at them and now they can go ablaze and be even more annoying.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The big red balloon guys that charge you, have a lot of health, explode over like 40% of the room and leave a toxic red patch over that same area also suck poo poo.

They thankfully seem rare though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Jacob+Esau Greedier mode tips please!!

I've completed everything else with them, but I'm really stuck here. I've been going for angel rooms, but the few times I even manage to complete the second floor I just get bad items and it never gets going.

Note that I refuse to press the button to stop the waves, it goes against my nature and the ancient principles of my people