Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

didnt trump actually do something concrete on this by fiat

he repeatedly announced it, then it changed into a program to send $200 gift cards for drugs to seniors, which the agency in charge of it didn't do, then he lost the election and gave up on trying to bribe people at all. No change to the law or regulations was made, and no gift cards were sent out.

in short: AMERICA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Reality Protester posted:

can we not make fun of a person's looks, especially a trans person's looks, even if they succ poo poo and are bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Lol at calling Biden and co. neocons. How did you come to that conclusion? Rose Twitter?

Without moderates, Democrats would not have a majority in both chambers of Congress.

If you place many Bernie/AOC-types in both chambers, the GOP will have a supermajority. What wins in Burlington and the Bronx doesn’t work in Omaha or New Orleans.

If Bernie ran against Trump, he would’ve lost since Trump’s attack ads would’ve been much more effective on Sanders.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

youre never supposed to expect a president to be good on their own especially in america the reason people prefer biden is because he'd actually be swayed by public pressure and you cant be pushed towards activism unless youre convinced of that fact so anyone that matters and is actually doing something would never ask themself who theyd prefer yeah and the publics opinion on israel is getting better in america because of that but i dont think its gotten to the point where bernie would stop sending military aid to israel or cut funding until they stop the occupation, he might personally want to but he'd be stopped by external forces, pessimists are useless

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

the poster you quoted clearly said "person"

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

drat horror queefs posted:

achtually I prefer the seminal live album Mint Jams by Japanese jazz fusion outfit Casiopea, released on vinyl in '82, thanks

Just started listening to Casiopea because of this post. Great band. Now I can listen to Mario Kart music and feel cultured as all hell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

witchy posted:

im fully vaccinated and the no mask thing is suspicious as gently caress lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/AsInMarx/status/1392983499636871169?s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ARozenshtein/status/1392933734152773633

took me a minute to realize this was an editorial about why susan hennessey is bad and not an editorial by susan hennessey from a couple of years ago about how russia undermined electoral legitimacy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1393032323826950146?s=19

See quote tweets for people extremely not mad

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool that you all keep stanning for the christian woman that said someone was a paedophile for advocating for bodily autonomy for trans kids

like, that noah dude is succ as hell, but taking his "trans kids know themselves better than their parents who, if conservative, will refuse them affirming treatment" posts and turning it into "this guy wants to gently caress kids" is hosed up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im just gonna go ahead and assume that post was prompted by a really weird episode of the daily show last night

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/minjinlee11/status/1392898226097954820

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Giving it the ole, "The thread is actually a single person and I'm talking to it," routine.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

(minimum of 2)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I went in and watched that segment of the debate and he's a transcript of what Yang said:

quote:

We need to evolve to a 21st century form of policing, a new anti-violence and community safety unit that would work with community leaders and plainclothes cops that go into communities and concentrate on getting the guns out and on what's called "focused deterrence", because the fact is a lot of communities know who the troublemakers are, and if you can bring them in and say "look, if something happens in your neighborhood, you're going to be one of the first people we call", then you can start to get the rates down. We need intelligence-lead policing.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Bideo James posted:

yang may become the first politician to willingly sit in the backseat of a tesla on autopilot.

Here's hoping a white semi truck turns left across his lane.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Here's hoping a white semi truck turns left across his lane.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

it's cool that you all keep stanning for the christian woman that said someone was a paedophile for advocating for bodily autonomy for trans kids

like, that noah dude is succ as hell, but taking his "trans kids know themselves better than their parents who, if conservative, will refuse them affirming treatment" posts and turning it into "this guy wants to gently caress kids" is hosed up

oh cool it's the same argument a khive lady tried to hit me with like two days ago

she clarified that she didn't know Berlatsky had a trans kid, she was talking about how he said kids should be able to get tattoos or something, and he accepted that explanation

but it's cool that this willing misinterpretation is going to foreverially be a defense of people telling everybody her "I love my kids" articles are phyllis-schlafly-level antifeminism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I went in and watched that segment of the debate and he's a transcript of what Yang said:

I'm sure this plan has absolutely no chance of being influenced by people's unconscious biases or petty grudges against each other

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

it's license for the police to harass their favorite targets without cause

not that they needed it before, mind you, but still, we should not be enabling this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1391801732234059778

lol some good news coming out of the biden admin

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

just lol that Andrew Yang's big police reform idea is "maybe the police should just ask people who the criminals are so they can arrest them"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

camoseven posted:

(minimum of 2)

What regulatory agency is stopping there from being price fixing, either on the part of the politicians themselves or their donor bosses, like there has to be for all the other duopolies?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

another of yang's policy proposals from that debate was cancelling dept of health inspections of restaurants bc it's killing innovation.

the weird thing is that 3 different candidates said the same thing. so bizarre. these restaurant inspectors are killing small business!!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1391801732234059778

lol some good news coming out of the biden admin

Wasn't the Root carrying major water for Biden during the primary?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

oh wow this country loving sucks but at least those democrats are good

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Wasn't the Root carrying major water for Biden during the primary?

Of course

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Root aren't mad at Biden over policy decisions or anything actually substantial, they're mad at individual staffing choices for aesthetic reasons

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nichael posted:

oh wow this country loving sucks but at least those democrats are good

yeah that is good. thanks, i feel better now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

The Root aren't mad at Biden over policy decisions or anything actually substantial, they're mad at individual staffing choices for aesthetic reasons

lol yeah, a better headline would be "We're mad our friend didn't get a job". They praise her for running interference when Biden did his "you're not black" poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

galenanorth posted:

What regulatory agency is stopping there from being price fixing, either on the part of the politicians themselves or their donor bosses, like there has to be for all the other duopolies?

Something I often see from non-Americans when talking about electoral reform, is this idea that we should "go back to a two-party system, like the US has"

They have this impression that the two-party system in the US has some kind of legal or Constitutional force behind it, as if it exists by law

And further, that we should do that too, because they want to avoid these situation where the spoiler effect causes the "worse" candidate to win (i.e. Duterte won in 2016 because the liberal vote was split between two candidates)

I guess it's just interesting as far as how weak third parties are that you wouldn't even know they exist if you weren't a politics-follower, and that the Republican/Democrat duopoly is conversely so strong that people think it's set in stone

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That belief is so pervasive that people think the two parties are literally government institutions, and not "private clubs" (or whatever dumb term they use to define themselves). It's not crazy people think like that, because there's a lot of laws and norms built around the assumption that there is always a Democrat and a Republican, and no more, but they use their actual non-governmental definition when it is advantageous to them.

Hey maybe we should have a real democracy??? Nah Democrats are good enough.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

camoseven posted:

(minimum of 2)

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

gradenko_2000 posted:

i think we already have plenty lead-policing

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Lol

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

too bad there are only four options because the correct answer is E: schizo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020