Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The crazy part is that the Indian strain raging through the UK is the sublineage B.1.617.2 which for the most part doesn't even have the E484Q mutation.

B.1.617.1 and B.1.617.3 both have the E484Q mutation but B.1.617.3 is rare and although B.1.617.1 is occurring a lot more frequently and is highly infectious it looks like B.1.617.2 outcompetes it. It looks like B.1.617.2 will even give the Kent strain B.1.1.7 a run for its money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineage_B.1.617

E: WHO has also bumped it up from Variant of Interest to Variant of Concern
https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1391802341423190020

Variant of High Consequence is the one you really gotta watch out for but none of the variants so far have gotten enough power ups to reach that level of scariness

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Current hot take I just heard at work:

"I'm never taking the vaccine now and I'm burning my masks. This is all about control."

RIP that guy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A Fancy Hat posted:

"I'm never taking the vaccine now and I'm burning my masks. This is all about control."

RIP that guy.

Yeah! You show those masks who's boss around here!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Exposing myself to a deadly virus which my immune system is not prepared for and that has killed over half a million Americans and continues to RAVAGE India, which should show me exactly what to expect for myself if I continue to expose myself to the virus - TO OWN THE LIBS.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This seems like the kinda guy who would hate “bra burning” feminists.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

RIP that guy.

i mean it's callous, but at this point...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5bc37e64-e7a7-477a-bb3b-a7023c6f9f06

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

I get that this is a joke but this kind of interviewing is critical to getting these bumpkins to go get loving jabbed, it needs to be done. If we knew their specific arguments and beliefs maybe we can begin to debunk them

I am quite ready to take to the streets with the covid19 alarmism if thats unclear in any way

I've kind of done this in my local walmarts and whatnot. Someone breathing down my neck maskless and it usually goes like this:

me: pardon can I ask you a question?
them: yeah!
me: I know the covid guidelines are uncomfortable for a lot of folks. I don't like them much, either, but I'm pretty sick so I follow them. How d'you feel about them?

It's usually either met with them moving back and glaring at me (yay!) or them moving back and us talking about often opposing viewpoints. I've convinced a few but not many. Most of the arguments I've heard are what you expect: it's got a really high survival rate, the vaccines don't work, etc. Talking to them about my ongoing ministry experience and everything else has certainly gotten some pauses.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've kind of done this in my local walmarts and whatnot. Someone breathing down my neck maskless and it usually goes like this:

me: pardon can I ask you a question?
them: yeah!
me: I know the covid guidelines are uncomfortable for a lot of folks. I don't like them much, either, but I'm pretty sick so I follow them. How d'you feel about them?

It's usually either met with them moving back and glaring at me (yay!) or them moving back and us talking about often opposing viewpoints. I've convinced a few but not many. Most of the arguments I've heard are what you expect: it's got a really high survival rate, the vaccines don't work, etc. Talking to them about my ongoing ministry experience and everything else has certainly gotten some pauses.

This is awesome that you made this effort.
This situation, discussing covid guidelines with strangers, resembles the street preaching and evangelism I sometimes see in this area.
The point is, almost no one ever gets their mind changed on the spot. We can only 'plant seeds' in people's minds; they have to nourish the idea until it becomes action . But if no one decides its their responsibility to plant some loving seeds then we really are in for a bad time.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I’ve found the best way to change people’s minds is actually to just mind my own business and hope for the best. Some weird goon stammering accusations at strangers sounds really funny though, please record it and upload it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I’m not sure Brett Pain is the guy to listen to when it comes to marriage advice

admittedly he was kind of couching it in an extremely recently divorced guy crusade of like... "everybody should get divorced it's the best"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BlackIronHeart posted:

I don't expect that at all, and you can't convince me I should expect that in this reality.

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1392952564514238467

The official plan is "Just assume all adult Americans are rational actors who will make an informed decision and act in everyone's best interests"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Surely this will completely change the perception for chuds on Fauci since for so long they were angry and complaining that “I’M AN AMERICAN AND I’M AN ADULT I CAN DO WHAT I WANT” and now they can do that right

Surely it will

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
For the most part we're not going to be able to change anyone's mind on an individual basis. The only way I see that happening realistically is like you know withholding visits from your children or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AHH F/UGH posted:

Surely this will completely change the perception for chuds on Fauci since for so long they were angry and complaining that “I’M AN AMERICAN AND I’M AN ADULT I CAN DO WHAT I WANT” and now they can do that right

Surely it will

Also Biden:
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1392935847863934987

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Read that in the Saw guy voice

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I’ve found the best way to change people’s minds is actually to just mind my own business and hope for the best. Some weird goon stammering accusations at strangers sounds really funny though, please record it and upload it.

Oh boy I think I will like what the gently caress else is there to do

e I am considering just doing a live stream instead so you guys can see the poo poo happening in real time

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
CDC Firefighters: "Well, the flames are a lot smaller now, so we're gonna turn off these hoses and go back to the station. Just remember to never play with matches."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Horror story time, because I’m having flashbacks and a flashback shared is a terrible thing.

I run a support group for silver surfers and if you want to scream out loud the number 1 thing I’ve had to repeatedly tell the gammon section is to stop using hand held fans on buses.

The second is when we were in full lockdown I had to try and make them understand that going to the supermarket is not a daily trip out to spend an hour in a queue only to buy 3 items.

One time I spent ages listening to one guy explain how he’d moved barriers with his stick so he could avoid the one way system “because I only wanted to check the price of coffee” (in a Tesco’s 11 miles away from his house, he had to get a bus to it that went past the other Tesco’s a mile away from his house) and then get angry and offended all over again because “THE MAN IN THE QUEUE AHEAD OF ME HAD A GO AT ME FOR IT”

Then we had the fellow who put a router unboxed on my bin as I hid under the window from him, sprayed it with disinfectant then called me saying “can you set this up for me duc”

Same guy made me jump through hoops (after I told everyone that if they switched providers during lockdown they were on their own, and I don’t give a poo poo that you lose out on a £2 monthly saving) because he kept calling Vodafone and saying there was “a problem with me mobile broadband” when he meant home broadband and boomers can’t grasp that the word they picked for a thing might be wrong. It was because his activation date was 2 weeks away so no poo poo the Vodafone router didn’t connect.

I ended up disbanding the group in January after 8 years regular time, and 463 2020s.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

https://twitter.com/fat_karl/status/1260003699658817536

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Well, walking down the street minding your own business, which is to record everyone else.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i had a friend when i lived in detroit that used to have actual psychotic breaks and stand outside the front door of downtown bar Jacoby's waiting for pimped out dudes in suits with jewelry and girls on their arms to walk by and pick fights by saying stuff like 'oooh girl, you look fly' or 'how you doing, sweetie' (to the guy)

real strong 'that guy' vibes from that boston footage

judging from the one reaction (which i believe i posted about) of the one person i've politely asked to step back a few feet in a store, i shan't be trying to convince anyone of anything

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Sjs00 posted:

Oh boy I think I will like what the gently caress else is there to do

e I am considering just doing a live stream instead so you guys can see the poo poo happening in real time

Here's the thing is that you're doing it outside of bars and so people have alcohol in them

That makes this genuinely dangerous plus if you really want to know I'm afraid you need to get people one-on-one

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The data is in!! Trust the science!!!!

https://twitter.com/GovInslee/status/1392961734013378560

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’m still wearing my mask. gently caress em. Thug life

I'm probably gonna keep a mask in the car from now on regardless. Never know when it might be a good idea to cover your face, for all kinds of reasons.

Spinz posted:

Here's the thing is that you're doing it outside of bars and so people have alcohol in them

That makes this genuinely dangerous plus if you really want to know I'm afraid you need to get people one-on-one

Oh come on as long as you are relatively polite and not harassing people I'm sure you can get away with it. Hopefully that goon has a modicum of social skills, and yes I'm aware that's an oxymoron

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'll help you out here, all of them are fully vaccinated with the J+J vaccine

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yankees-covid-gleyber-torres-8-positive/

Yeah I had to assume they were since the team would be able to basically force the people who work there to get a vaccine. Those are pretty crazy numbers though, I mean an 8 person outbreak on a baseball team sounds like something that would've happened BEFORE the vaccine.

Granted, none of them felt anything which is great. Only thing I'm curious about is if they were contagious at any point in time or if it was a miniscule among of viral particles that realistically couldn't infect an unvaccinated person. That's the main thing that gives me hesitancy, I don't ever want to have covid since I'm not sure of the quality of my lungs and also I don't want to pass it to anyone, including unvaccinated children

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is the dotted line like when Trump drew in a hurricane path with a sharpie

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
No I was actually thinking about getting a couple poster boards and strapping them to my body after writing
GET VAXED OR DIE SLEAZEBALLS
and then moseying up to drunks and seeing what happens
Get real guys this is going to be skateboard driveby vax shaming at 12 mph they are welcome to try and catch me and whoop my rear end lmfao

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just concerned for your safety. Anti-maskers/vaxxers are pieces of poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile, in professional sports (one of the last places where everyone is still being regularly tested)
https://twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/1392951287847792644

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 14, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
on reflection we the Yankees should've probably suspended our 120-year tradition of blowing our noses into each other's mouths for fun before each training session but we are determined to move forward and not look back and relitigate what we could've done differently

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’m still wearing my mask. gently caress em. Thug life

yeah, this. at this point i'm wearing a mask in public indefinitely. its easy, cheap, and as a healthcare worker i have a responsibility to live by example and also i was already wearing masks for twelve hours straight at work before all this happened, throwing one on to go into a store is literally so trivial a thing i do not notice.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

determined to move forward and not look back and relitigate what we could've done differently

Sounds about normal for people from New York

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I hate to be cynical and say "gently caress 'em, it's their own fault at this point" but that's really how I'm starting to feel right now. Just personally, my wife and I have done everything possible to try and get her parents vaccinated, short of administering the vaccine ourselves. They still refuse. What more can I do at this point?

tell them you're taking them to mcdonalds, show up to the clinic, be like "yeah we're going to mcdonalds after you get ur shot"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The official plan is "Just assume all adult Americans are rational actors who will make an informed decision and act in everyone's best interests"

i saw an interview on pbs about it last night and the cdc rep was like "it's the honor system" and my immediate reaction was "... but most americans have no concept of honor??"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 14, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A Fancy Hat posted:

I hate to be cynical and say "gently caress 'em, it's their own fault at this point" but that's really how I'm starting to feel right now. Just personally, my wife and I have done everything possible to try and get her parents vaccinated, short of administering the vaccine ourselves. They still refuse. What more can I do at this point?

start hinting that you and your wife are reconsidering not having kids

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Meanwhile, in professional sports (one of the last places where everyone is still being regularly tested)
https://twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/1392951287847792644

Is there a lower bound or threshold viral load for these tests? I remember from the polio vaccine docu I watched, the mentioned ba component of herd immunity being that vaccinated individuals might get the virus, and although their immune system fights it off fine because if the vaccine, they still she's a miniscule amount of virus that unvaccinated people get, and are able to fight off. I have no idea if that was just an outdated model (it was discussed along with the dude who was working on a live virus polio vaxx, so it might be), but if that's still the case with the Covid vaccines, is it possible some of these breakthrough cases are just everything actually working fine?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Love the feeling of hoping that my state will keep indoor mask mandates until my jury duty in a week and a half. I’m concerned they’re going to get rid of the mandate and the courts won’t allow wearing one at that point for ~*reasons*~

My second vax will have cooked by then but I’m still not happy with the idea of spending up to 8 hours x ??? days indoors in cramped rooms with a bunch of other people even wearing a mask

And the news keeps talking about the big backlog of jury trials, which makes me think I’m actually likely to have to go in

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

A Fancy Hat posted:

I don't know the situation, but maybe you could seriously ask them if they have their wills drafted up (might need the wife to ask that depending on your relationship with them). Tell them, "Yes, I know the odds are slim that you'll get it and could suffer long term effects, or God forbid die, BUT if that does happen, don't you want all your stuff/children/us taken care of?". If it's a larger family, hint at how much vicious fighting the children will have over the assets (hopefully there's some assets). This part works better if your wife doesn't get along with her brothers/sisters.
They may scoff at the idea, but you've just planted a seed that will most likely force them to give it some critical thought.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1393294339871330311?s=21

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Jigsaw posted:

Love the feeling of hoping that my state will keep indoor mask mandates until my jury duty in a week and a half. I’m concerned they’re going to get rid of the mandate and the courts won’t allow wearing one at that point for ~*reasons*~

My second vax will have cooked by then but I’m still not happy with the idea of spending up to 8 hours x ??? days indoors in cramped rooms with a bunch of other people even wearing a mask

And the news keeps talking about the big backlog of jury trials, which makes me think I’m actually likely to have to go in

I mean if push comes to shove just say you're not vaxxed and need to continue wearing a mask. I doubt they'll outright ban wearing them at this point.

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

Is there a lower bound or threshold viral load for these tests? I remember from the polio vaccine docu I watched, the mentioned ba component of herd immunity being that vaccinated individuals might get the virus, and although their immune system fights it off fine because if the vaccine, they still she's a miniscule amount of virus that unvaccinated people get, and are able to fight off. I have no idea if that was just an outdated model (it was discussed along with the dude who was working on a live virus polio vaxx, so it might be), but if that's still the case with the Covid vaccines, is it possible some of these breakthrough cases are just everything actually working fine?

You nailed it

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1393198862433619971

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Bill Maher getting COVID rules after he tried to downplay it and cried about sensationalization

Eat poo poo you gently caress

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 14, 2021