Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just whack it on the ground real hard it'll pop back in to place. some people actually swear by this for rims that are really bad but maybe not "so bad it won't spin in the frame" bad... I'm not sure I'd trust a wheel I straightened by smacking it on the ground a bunch until it sproinged back onto place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nothing to lose at that point.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

bicievino posted:

Hey mtb thread.
I picked up a mtb a few months ago and have been enjoying bouncy times offroad.
I decided to sign up for a 60mi mtb race two weeks from now because, hey, why not. Haven't done anything similar except one similar distance gravel race. Would love some critique of pacing/nutrition/what to carry/what I'm forgetting.

Route details:
4 laps of this https://www.strava.com/segments/20581541, roughly 1200' of elevation per lap. Mix of blue & green singletrack and fireroad "climbs" (can it be a climb with only 1200' of elevation per lap?)
2 aid stations, but because covid it's no food/water, just first aid + mechanical support. They allow a drop bag at one of them.

What I'm planning on having with me on the bike:
On the Biek:
Water: 2 large bottles, 1 carb 1 electrolyte
lil' multi tool
pump

On Me (either jersey pockets or hip pack, not sure):
tube, 1 co2, levers, dynaplug + spares, wolftooth thing with spare quicklinks, chainbreaker. 1 big tire boot, patchkit.
a few zipties
cell phone
food:
baggie of 6 fig newtons + 2 dates (70g carbs)
1 bag of probar bolt gels (40g carbs)
1 clif nut butter bar (27g carbs)
(plus the 16g in the carb bottle)

Thinking about picking up a OneUp EDC pump to reduce stuff in my pockets, and using a voile strap to put the tube on the frame.

In my drop bag:
6 big bottles (enough so I can replace both each lap, same split of carb/electrolyte)
3 more figgy + date baggies
2 gels
1 banana
2 clif bars
maybe one savory food thing? rice cake or potatoes?
sunscreen - spray on kind

So... what am I missing? What do I need to know about doin' one of these races?

I did this race yesterday.

3rd mtb race ever. Went way better than I hoped. Beat my goal time by half an hour, ended up 15th overall. Still almost an hour behind my former teammate, but he's a 17 year old on a conti devo team and has the power to weight ratio of an ebike.

Totally happy with my pacing. Only things I want to do better for the next one are:
* figure out a better way to eat. Getting stuff out of my jersey pockets was a pain in the rear end. Saw a few folks with top tube bags that looked easier to access.
Would love recommendations on that.
* figure out a better way to carry a spare tube. I had it strapped to the toptube with a voile strap but lost it on a bouncy descent part way through. Felt bad about littering and felt bad not having the safety blanket.
* get more than 3 hours of sleep the night before.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

* figure out a better way to carry a spare tube. I had it strapped to the toptube with a voile strap but lost it on a bouncy descent part way through. Felt bad about littering and felt bad not having the safety blanket.
I use one of these
https://www.rei.com/product/126493/dakine-hot-laps-gripper-bike-bag

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bicievino posted:

Nice job on the race.

My only thought here is you didn't have the strap tight. I have put and seen others out Voile straps through crazy stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like my backcountry research tube strap that goes through the saddle rails, but the dakine and blackburn are nice and also protect the tube from grit somewhat so it'll probably actually hold air when you need to use it. I'll likely pick up one of those or at least figure out a cover for the tube (BR does make a "tubetarp"). I usually have a plug kit and co2 in a race as well, although on Friday I forgot everything.

Generally I just keep snacks in my jersey pockets but yeah you have to pick your moments to eat, like on a road climb, but then also you're breathing hard. But on a long race it's worth it to just slow down or even stop for a second to make yourself eat over not doing that. Usually I can cram 1-3 shot blocks in my mouth fairly quickly and easily, just have everything pre-opened. I use scissors. Also don't stick them to your top tube that's gross. You might as well just start wearing sleeveless jerseys and short socks and peeing on your bike.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 11, 2021

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

EvilJoven posted:

Just whack it on the ground real hard it'll pop back in to place. some people actually swear by this for rims that are really bad but maybe not "so bad it won't spin in the frame" bad... I'm not sure I'd trust a wheel I straightened by smacking it on the ground a bunch until it sproinged back onto place

definitely gotten 10+ miles out of the woods using this trick after a "it's no longer a functional bike" taco

very much an upside of aluminum rims. just don't hit any big hucks till you fix it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jamal posted:

Also don't stick them to your top tube that's gross. You might as well just start wearing sleeveless jerseys and short socks and peeing on your bike.

He was talking about using a top tube bag to put stuff in for easy access not sticking them to the tube. Something like this: https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/products/snack-pack-top-tube-bags-large-xl

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I know, I just meant in general. Because I saw it today at a gravel race.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jamal posted:

got ya, yeah... dumb stuff.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

lmao someone in the 55 minute crit I did on Tuesday had 4 shot blocks on his top tube.
I was sorely tempted to try to snatch one off there just to gently caress with him.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you don't have a dozen SiS gels taped to your top tube ready to rip, does it even count?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Since I missed out on getting a new hardtail XC bike this year and a new cx bike is starting to seem unlikely too, I'm going to spend money making the hei hei a little lighter and racier. Last fall it got carbon bars, now I have carbon cranks too and went back to XC tires, although I think they're a little heavier than the original rekons. Really nice how much better they roll but on the other hand a vittoria barzo does not grip anywhere near as well as a DHF.

First choice of tires were schwalbe's racing ray/ralph combo in 2.35. But right now I only have a rear and the front racing ray is backordered, hopefully I'll get one before june though? Then these vittorias can go on the hardtail. It's what's on there now and I generally like them. The mezcal rolls really good, the barzo has decent xc tire grip, they're durable, and msrp is below a maxxis or schwalbe. I just wanted to try something different. Even considered aspens but those were out too. I think I can get them now but don't really need more tires at the moment. Might pair well with my leftover rekon though. Should figure out a new rear tire to go with my dhf as well. Going to be either minion ss or aggressor I think.

The trivativ stylo cranks and aluminum chainring are a 188g weight savings over the stock descendant cranks and steel ring. Annoyed they put those bricks on there. I also added some rubber tape in strategic locations based on the wear and chips on the hardtail's cranks

Also improved the brakes a bit by going from guide R to RSC levers. Not too pricey and they have much better bite and power.

Next big weight items are the wheels and cassette. It's still 27lb 12oz, which I guess is light for a trail bike. Have some fancy wheels on order (dt swiss xrc1501) but actually getting them any time soon isn't a really sure thing. I suspect this dt370/wtb i27 rim combo is in the 2kg ballpark and that gx cassette isn't light either. So that's another lb or more (although not a very good $/g value). Still won't be XC race bike light, but with bike availability what it is I might as well do something in the meantime before I sell it for something else or just get a new hardtail. If I order an Orbea Alma now I'll probably have it by next spring.

Anyway, with faster tires and better brakes (and a little less weight) the bike feels pretty good. Going to try racing it Friday. I used the hardtail last week because it was straight up the road and down a pretty tame descent. This week is a little more technical and doesn't go up as high. My fitness is about where it usually is so it will be interesting to see how the lap times compare.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 11, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Mount biking is basically cancelled until further notice. All the MTB trails in provincial and national parks are closed and backcountry vehicle access is banned due to extreme fire risk.

People are talking about parking on the highway and riding in so it's only a matter of time before a pedal strike on a rock burns a cool place down.

Welp.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Provincial, this is West Canadia then? So I should not try to make it to Whistler this year? :(

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not sure what's going on in the rest of Canada but this is Manitoba. We're developing a few really cool places to ride for locals but truth be told there's nothing here worth travelling from abroad for.

Maaaaybe once the next phase of the Riding Mountain trail development stuff comes to fruition but that's gonna be a while.

Edit: of course the moment I suggest in the local MTB group that maybe we shouldn't all flock to the unmanaged trails and maybe burn all our cool poo poo down some guy has to get all lovely about it. I just don't want to see Rubens Ridge turned into a smoking crater that gets washed out when it finally rains. :sigh:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 14, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

EvilJoven posted:

Not sure what's going on in the rest of Canada but this is Manitoba. We're developing a few really cool places to ride for locals but truth be told there's nothing here worth travelling from abroad for.

Maaaaybe once the next phase of the Riding Mountain trail development stuff comes to fruition but that's gonna be a while.

Edit: of course the moment I suggest in the local MTB group that maybe we shouldn't all flock to the unmanaged trails and maybe burn all our cool poo poo down some guy has to get all lovely about it. I just don't want to see Rubens Ridge turned into a smoking crater that gets washed out when it finally rains. :sigh:

I have a tough time believing a pedal strike would light a forest fire but what do I know.

Edit: I applaud your respect for the trails/forests. I'm just skeptical because it's my nature.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nylon pedals for all Manitoba riders.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Is there a precedent for a fire starting off a pedal strike or is it simply caution?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I have a tough time believing a pedal strike would light a forest fire but what do I know.

Edit: I applaud your respect for the trails/forests. I'm just skeptical because it's my nature.

My immediate reaction as well and a quick Google popped this article

https://www.bicycling.com/rides/g20047974/how-a-pedal-strike-can-start-a-wildfire/

Well fuuuuuuuck

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
New bike day!!

Geometron G1, EXT Storia shock 175mm travel, Formula Selva R forks 170mm travel. Going downhill has never felt so good.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
2 days ago we hit 10% humidity. Apparently that's only ever been recorded 3 times in the history of ever.

Last night we watched it rain and none of the water hit the ground. It all fell about half way down and just evaporated.

Its may and we've already had several of fires. Two of them currently uncontaminated.

Its super loving dry.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Braincloud posted:

My immediate reaction as well and a quick Google popped this article

https://www.bicycling.com/rides/g20047974/how-a-pedal-strike-can-start-a-wildfire/

Well fuuuuuuuck

Welp. I stand corrected.

Aphex- posted:

New bike day!!

Geometron G1, EXT Storia shock 175mm travel, Formula Selva R forks 170mm travel. Going downhill has never felt so good.

:eyepop: very nice! look at the travel on that thing.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Aphex- posted:

New bike day!!

goddamn

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Car Hater posted:

Provincial, this is West Canadia then? So I should not try to make it to Whistler this year? :(

Traveling between health authorities isn’t permitted until May 25th in BC. That’s likely to be extended but I’m hoping things open up again for July/August. Some folks are suggesting that we somehow shut down the border with Alberta but I don’t see that as feasible.

It’s also been a really dry spring so I’m definitely worried what our summer is going to look like.

I don’t see the border with America opening anytime soon but we shall see.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aphex- posted:

New bike day!!

:dong:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Couple of new bruises and scrapes today, gently caress yeah. Bike still works, double gently caress yeah.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't get to go rip through the single track and drink a beer at the duck pond because the sky was black as all hell. Raced home and beat the rain by 2 minutes.

Never been so happy to get rained out.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

neato burrito posted:

Couple of new bruises and scrapes today, gently caress yeah. Bike still works, double gently caress yeah.

Hey, me too!

I ate a full bucket of poo poo a few times today, taking a rigid drop mtb to the trails. Had a lovely pedal strike out of the blue and got catapulted off into the rhubarb.

Crashed fast enough not to have time to tense up. Seems like landing hard fixed some of my back and neck stiffness somehow. Net win.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nice.

This morning I nailed the drop that whacked my taint last time, and also went otb target fixating on a soft berm. So it’s impossible to say if I’m good or bad at bikes. (I’m bad.)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Took the new bike out for its first proper spin on Saturday. Feels amazing, especially on the steep stuff. There's also a tight, twisty XC trail that's on the way back to my house which I did as well, and I got a PR on it which was 30s faster than my previous time. Goes to show long, low and slack 29ers aren't necessarily bad on that kind of stuff.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Anybody in Denver area, Maryland mountain has a black downhill open now. I need feedback on my flow downhill too, especially if you can come this weekend or maybe friday/Monday. Send me a PM or if you know spwrozek's contact info he can give you my contact info.

Its in Black Hawk

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thoughts on DJ hearing? I've got a 24/12 on there rn and it's too short to ride to anywhere but does decent at the park/pump track but thinking about making it longer. Thoughts?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

thatguy posted:

Anybody in Denver area, Maryland mountain has a black downhill open now. I need feedback on my flow downhill too, especially if you can come this weekend or maybe friday/Monday. Send me a PM or if you know spwrozek's contact info he can give you my contact info.

Its in Black Hawk

This sounds good, but I thought ya'll had been getting rain and snow all week?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Thoughts on DJ hearing? I've got a 24/12 on there rn and it's too short to ride to anywhere but does decent at the park/pump track but thinking about making it longer. Thoughts?

I had 32/14 and it was fine. I can’t say I ever thought about it. 24/12 seems a little short to make the most of a desperation crank or two?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

deong posted:

This sounds good, but I thought ya'll had been getting rain and snow all week?

until yesterday it was basically sunny morning with hail or rain for 10 minutes in the evening. And other than the flow I'm working on now, soils are well-drained mineral sandy/rocky and they're going to ride better wet or in the kind of stuff we have now. Last night dumped a bunch but it drains very quick, you see dry crust by noon and stuff will start to break apart again by the afternoon.

no snow

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Bud Manstrong posted:

I had 32/14 and it was fine. I can’t say I ever thought about it. 24/12 seems a little short to make the most of a desperation crank or two?

Thanks, I'm gonna try to get a 10t freewheel and see how that is.

It's less for madly pedaling into jumps and more for riding to and from the jumps or skatepark, it's geared so short right now that it's tempting to take the car to avoid a 15 minute ride which is dumb.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My wife is looking to get a bike to start joining me on some trails. Probably mostly bike path and gravel path type stuff, but I want to find her something that could tackle some easy singletrack. What should I be looking for on an entry level bike that could handle a variety of terrain? I’m figuring a basic hardtail with maybe a less aggressive tire that would be ok on pavement too, but I’m trying to do some research before going into some shops with her.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

About any hardtail from the last 10 years is probably fine. Probably buying used since nothing is available. How much are you looking to spend? The less, the worse selection is unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

About any hardtail from the last 10 years is probably fine. Probably buying used since nothing is available. How much are you looking to spend? The less, the worse selection is unfortunately.

Yeah, I have a feeling we’re gonna have to look used, but I want her to at least get a feel for some stuff in store. I haven’t talked budget with her yet, but I know she wants to keep it on the low end.