Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtxsYF4e3uM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGvKFbYgI4

The really free-flowing jazz stuff is hard to appreciate but Big Band Jazz is extremely cool and good.

E: I was a trumpet player before I picked up guitar, can you tell?

Seatbelts are now I got into jazz. Thank you Yoko Kanno.

Creativity chat: Kinda thinking of doing a cover of All Hell For A Basement by Big Sugar but I need to learn how to drums first. And figure out how to get my voice to do the opening low notes of the vocals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jazz is so diverse it seems hard to not like altogether.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
in my own work, i think jazz comes through in my vocals and drums more than anything else. i'd love to get into jazz piano and guitar, and deeper into jazz drumming

i don't like it when someone says jazz sucks, gotta defend its honor

e. the first jazz i ever got into was bitches brew, pharaoh's dance hooked me immediately

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 14, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gramps posted:

Lol I'm 40. A good majority of my hand pain is just being old and typing all day for work. The games just don't help. I already remap crouch to a mouse button because the default of LCTRL makes my hand cramp just thinking about it
I'm older than you and have mild arthritis and pretty much the thing that seems to work the best for me is regular, light exercise involving the bits that get the worse arthritis pain.

Dunno if it'll work for you, but something to try. For my hands it's just a couple minutes of stretching and light squeezing exercises and that kind of thing a day.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

And one of the cool things is that because it's so diverse you can find like a dozen different approaches to a single song.

I think about 90% of the theory I was able to internalise when I was starting out studying theory was because I could find songs that, like, Frank Sinatra and Thelonious Monk both covered. Like I'm not convinced I'd really understand voice leading without Monk.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Its why I like Herbie Hancock. Don't like this album? Skip one or two and he's off into another style.

Cantaloupe Island, Chameleon and Rockit are all great, but also miles apart in sound.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Turbinosamente posted:

You know, thanks for the jazz songs posted, they're cool. I've been trying to work my way through the trauma of having suffered through not one but two 15 minute+ jazz odysseys in my youth which did not endear me to the genre one bit. Thank Christ for Cowboy Bebop and swing jazz in general or I never would have pulled out of it.

This is why I gravitate towards playing early New Orleans jazz. Yeah it's a little hokey compared to what came after it but It follows a respectable time frame where you can remember what the beginning of the song sounded like but also doesn't have that weird slickness of Guy Lombardo and you still get to overplay the hell out of it.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 14, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I don't particularly love listening to jazz, but when I'm actually playing guitar jazzy stuff feels really cool.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

A lot of the time I just cheat and play a G chord, but I move my middle and index fingers up a string each. I also play C and G chords most of the time with my ring finger on the 3rd fret of the B string which I think makes it sound a bit more fundamental.

I have to say though, the best thing you can do is just keep moving between chords and integrating what you want to learn into the mix with stuff you're good at. Play play play. And don't get frustrated! These things come slow and being able to play it at all is better than what most people can do.

I just feel like I'm struggling more than I feel like I should?

Hard to say for sure without appropriate perspective. How long did it take all of you to "get" the c chord, or other difficult ones?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve read that you can tune a guitar like a dulcimer, one suggestion I saw was DADGAD. How do you get a set of strings like that? Stringjoy let’s you choose by gauge but I don’t really know how to figure that out, is there a tool that makes that easier if I want them to be close to standard gauges?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I’ve read that you can tune a guitar like a dulcimer, one suggestion I saw was DADGAD. How do you get a set of strings like that? Stringjoy let’s you choose by gauge but I don’t really know how to figure that out, is there a tool that makes that easier if I want them to be close to standard gauges?

No special strings needed for DADGAD, it's just a full step off from standard on 3 strings. Your fingers won't even notice a difference, most likely.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 14, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I just got a youtube ad for sweetwater. They're coming for me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hard to say for sure without appropriate perspective. How long did it take all of you to "get" the c chord, or other difficult ones?

I started playing last Fall. I remember the C chord being tricky, probably took a couple weeks of daily practice to "get" it. I followed the Justin routine of doing 1-2 minutes of intense practice on each chord for a week or two, then the same for moving between chords. I found D, Dmin, and F (xx3211) to be trickier, and I still get those wrong sometimes now. Keep the C chord in your practice routine, but don't get hung up on it either. Practicing other skills will help too. All the skills build on each other, so moving on will actually help you with skills you're already working on, too. Plus moving on will keep you from feeling stuck/frustrated, which is important in itself.

E: Actually flipping through my own posts in this thread, I also said the C chord was hard back in October, haha. Power through, you'll get there.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 14, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I honestly couldn’t tell you, really. I’ve been playing for, gosh, right around 25 years now, almost every day. Oh god I’m so old.

I do remember that the absolute first things I learned from my guitar teacher were the G, C, and D chords, taught to me on the same day, so I went home and did absolutely nothing but play those chords over and over for a week on a crappy old half-size acoustic. And that’s not to say I mastered them in that time frame, just that it took at least that long, hah.

It takes time and was tough at times, but I never really cared because I had fun learning how to do it and always just kind of figured that no matter what it was, or how hard it was, I could eventually learn how to do it if I kept at it.

Keep playing those chords over and over and you’ll eventually be able to do them without looking or even thinking. :)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I just want to add to all the Jazz talk that there's something out there for everyone. I've enjoyed random things before but I ran across Scenery by Ryo Fukui and was absolutely hooked. One of my favorite albums of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY

also, IDK if this counts as Jazz but The Man From U.N.C.L.E. soundtrack has some supremely funky jams: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsFR-IuG_7Edbn_LSDG5NW3RjgNxOp8N

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

honestly. i have been playing consistently for a good 15 years and i still find the C chord difficult. for anyone who thinks they've mastered it, try the Guiliani right hand studies (https://www.classicalguitarshed.com/sm-giuliani-120-right-hand/). it's all C to G7. when you actually need to make sure every note in the chord rings out, things are a LOT harder.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

is there a good MIAB style thing that isn't $200

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Never let anyone tell you that you can't make money in jazz.

I just got a 42 cent google survey on my phone for searching "Watermelon Man original version," since I only knew the Head Hunters version existed and my wife only knew the standard version existed.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

landgrabber posted:

Suhr Riot Mini (high gain) or used ZVex Box of Rock (not so high gain)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
A boss katana :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a.p. dent posted:

honestly. i have been playing consistently for a good 15 years and i still find the C chord difficult. for anyone who thinks they've mastered it, try the Guiliani right hand studies (https://www.classicalguitarshed.com/sm-giuliani-120-right-hand/). it's all C to G7. when you actually need to make sure every note in the chord rings out, things are a LOT harder.

I don't really understand how to read this document

I haven't had to read sheet music since high school when I was playing the xylophones because I was also the drummer

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't really understand how to read this document

I haven't had to read sheet music since high school when I was playing the xylophones because I was also the drummer

p = thumb (because why not?)
m = middle
i = index

So the first thing is play C (probably on the 3rd fret A-string) with your thumb while playing C (probably first fret B string) with your index and E (open e is easy!) with your middle finger at the same time. For fun, figure out a few other places to play it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

landgrabber posted:

JOYO British Sound.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Make sure you're not gripping the neck, as well. The only things on your left hand that should be touching the guitar when playing the C chord are your fingertips and thumb, with your palm horizontal below the neck.

Honestly recently I've been finding it easier to play barre chords than open chords. If I'm hopping around between E, F, A, C, D, and minors, etc, it just seems easier to barre those all between the 3rd and 10th frets. Easier to think about playing something higher or lower as well, lots of options. I think I probably need to learn how to take more advantage of open strings when I can, though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lumpy posted:

p = thumb (because why not?)
m = middle
i = index

So the first thing is play C (probably on the 3rd fret A-string) with your thumb while playing C (probably first fret B string) with your index and E (open e is easy!) with your middle finger at the same time. For fun, figure out a few other places to play it.

:psyduck:

I think I'm missing something, with my thumb??

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
No that seems weird to me. Ring finger on 5th string C, middle finger on 4th string E, index finger on 2nd string C.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't hold the neck like a baseball bat (IE don't let any parts of your palm touch it), just let your fingertips touch the neck.

Me am dumb, they mean what fingers on your right hand you're plucking strings with.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Those are right-hand plucking fingerings, not left-hand fingerings (I belive).

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the letters are for your RIGHT hand (assuming you are right-handed) so you are plucking the strings with thumb-index-middle. I can see where I worded it badly. You fret the notes however you want.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
here's a tab version if that's easier: https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/mauro-giuliani-giulianis-120-right-hand-studies-tab-s32808t0

they're mainly used for developing fingerstyle right hand technique, so playing them with a pick might not work so well

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

landgrabber posted:

Crunchbox or one of its cheap clone ripoffs. I used to gig with a joyo CRUNCH.

RAT.

It depends what you mean by MIAB. Lots of pedals kind of sound like Marshall’s since that’s the sound everyone wanted for decades.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lumpy posted:

the letters are for your RIGHT hand (assuming you are right-handed) so you are plucking the strings with thumb-index-middle. I can see where I worded it badly. You fret the notes however you want.

OK that makes more sense, I was very concerned for a moment because I was like "my left hand literally can't do that"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I just want to add to all the Jazz talk that there's something out there for everyone. I've enjoyed random things before but I ran across Scenery by Ryo Fukui and was absolutely hooked. One of my favorite albums of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY

hell yeah

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a boss katana legitimately doesn't fulfill the needs i have and i already have a great amp that i like

leave me alone

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I just got a youtube ad for sweetwater. They're coming for me.

i love sweetwater but their stock is all hosed up right now :ohdear:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

i love sweetwater but their stock is all hosed up right now :ohdear:

Everybody's is. Pretty much everything south of $1000 sells as fast as it lists rights now.

It's why everything is going up and used gear sells for nearly new prices. Everybody's counting on the used market expanding when the pandemic loosens up and people start going back outside, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

landgrabber posted:

i've come close enough enough times, with enough frequency, to writing a song, or writing a good song, that i KNOW it's something that's in me somewhere.

I have some advice for you, but I can't tell whether or not you actually want it or will actually try it.

Write more music. You have to write a lot of bad music in order to get any good music out of yourself. So write more.

Listen to more music. Questlove says he tries to listen to 100 songs he's never heard before, every day. Seems ambitious but like a good goal. (If you don't respect Questlove I don't know what to tell you.)

Try a different instrument. You said you have Ableton. Put your guitar away and make music with virtual instruments.

Write with a clean guitar.

Write different music. Make a lullaby. Make punk. Make hip-hop.

Sing or hum a melody into Ableton and build a song around it. Make it silly or melodic or staccato or scream at the top of your lungs.

Make music with someone else—preferably someone who plays a different kind of music than you.

Get a bass or rhythm guitar stem from someone who has produced a full song and build your own song around it.

Get stoned and do any of the above, if you're 420 friendly.

Is any of this going to be good? Eh, probably not. You know you're in a rut and you need to break out of it. Forcing yourself to try different things should help you do that. Do literally anything except what you've been doing, but keep making music. Or take a break, don't make any music, and only listen to ambient techno for a month.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Robot Arms posted:

Try a different instrument. You said you have Ableton. Put your guitar away and make music with virtual instruments.
Get stoned and do any of the above, if you're 420 friendly.

Unironically a good combination. "Get baked and play with synthesizers" was an integral part of developing new genres in the 1970s.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

landgrabber posted:

a boss katana legitimately doesn't fulfill the needs i have and i already have a great amp that i like

leave me alone

The Mosky Plexi-M is like $30. I hardly play but I like that pedal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Goddamn, are these nylon strings or taffy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

These Dream 90s are nasty.

I like nasty.