Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I very much enjoyed SUPERHOT but I was expecting more from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Blade of agony is absurdly polished. its got like five times too many "levels based on gray corridors" for my taste, but its absurd how lengthy it is and how the quality largely stays so strong.

Definitely up there was the best TCs (although at this point, its closer to its whole drat game)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Groovelord Neato posted:

I very much enjoyed SUPERHOT but I was expecting more from it.

The recent sequel they released MIND CONTROL DELETE does a lot to expand upon SUPERHOT without compromising the core simplicity of the game

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
It's Shadow Warrior's 24th birthday! Say something....uh....well. You can say something nice about Lo Wang if you really want to. :smugjones:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
WHO WANTS SOME birthday cake

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
YOU WANT TO have cake? OR DO YOU WANT TO WATCH WANG have cake

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will still hold that the shadow warrior 2 reboot game is great if you just mostly ignore the unneeded stat gem system and also the fact that the story progression is dogshit

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

i will still hold that the shadow warrior 2 reboot game is great if you just mostly ignore the unneeded stat gem system and also the fact that the story progression is dogshit

I agree. I won’t begrudge anybody for being really disappointed with it based on expectations, but I ended up putting ~100 hours into the stupid thing over the last few years and definitely enjoyed the experience.

It’s a very flawed game, but I always stress that you should only pay attention to the gems and tweaking weapons/gear in the hub—not while running through levels...and even then, try to avoid getting to lost in the micromanagement.

Most of the upgrades are so minor, so pathetically granular, and so abundant that they completely stall the game’s flow if you stop to examine them every time you find some.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I pretty much only gemmed to have certain elemental effects on certain weapons for utility and enjoyed the shooting more than in SW2013 where weapons were underwhelming and the best way to play was 90% of the time with the sword and powers instead of using guns (even after the buffs to them). You can gem a minigun to get ammo back on hit, making it never run out of ammo and shotguns felt meaty. Also having double jump and dashes made fun moving around the maps.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's Shadow Warrior's 24th birthday! Say something....uh....well. You can say something nice about Lo Wang if you really want to. :smugjones:

It made for a great reboot!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The reboot was fantastic, it's a shame they never made any more.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do you all consider Quake good? Not the multiplayer mods, just the straight-up single-player campaign?

I've never really been able to get into Quake.

It's my favourite game of all time. It is technically brilliant, and has a lasting effect on games today.

end.bsp sucks though - id are bad at boss levels

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

Internet Kraken posted:

If I'm totally honest? No.

I had a blast playing it because Doom is my favorite "FPS" and I hadn't been able to enjoy gameplay reminiscent of it in ages. Also the art style, voice acting, and everything else about the game's style really got me sucked into it. But even in my first playthrough I could tell there wasn't a ton of variety in how it plays out. There can be, but the game has a real problem with ship distribution and forcing you into really similar layouts on a regular basis. I feel like the core gameplay of the game is great but it needs to more meat to it to differentiate all the missions you do.

I do recommend it though, I'm just aware that I got waaaaaay more enjoyment out of it than most people will because it scratched a lot of itches for me. I heard they are planning to update the game with more content, additional ship layouts being one of them, so maybe wait to buy it after that update.

Really old post, but I was looking for opinions re: Void Bastards, since it was on my radar and it's currently 60% off on Steam, did this promised update ever happen? Looks like there's some sort of DLC, and it's $20 atm for the full package.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stockwell posted:

Really old post, but I was looking for opinions re: Void Bastards, since it was on my radar and it's currently 60% off on Steam, did this promised update ever happen? Looks like there's some sort of DLC, and it's $20 atm for the full package.

The DLC is definitely worth getting if you're gonna play but even then, the game doesn't have as much longevity as it should. This may not be a bad thing for you and I think it's worth picking up on sale if the game interests you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The criticism of Void Bastards isn't that it's bad, it's just that the systems aren't deep enough to justify its grindy play length.

If you can get it cheap there's nothing wrong with that and there's some fun to be had with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah play it, get 15 or 20 hours out of it, and then move on. Sometimes people think that, as a Roguelite, it has significant replayability and longevity, but most people agree that that’s not the case with Void Bastards. Nothing wrong with that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Johnny Joestar posted:

I liked SW2's underlying combat model more that Doom16's, even if I knew it wasn't as good otherwise. Of course then Doom Eternal blew both of them out the water, but I'm still greatly looking forward to SW3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This looks cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0neEdTc3cDA

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The cacodemons turning into pancakes when pinned to the walls with the stake gun is excellent comedy.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/alibakes/status/1393221413146873857

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh huh. i just assumed viscerafest was this close on the upcoming releases tab because they had forgotten to push it back. nice

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Looking good. I wonder how big will be the scope of the game,and therefore how long until is released. GS2 was one the biggest TCs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're bicycle shorts smdh

https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1393237542921715715?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks balanced to me

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like Golden Souls 2 lost a lot of the charm of the first title. Just a little too big with too many ideas spread a little too thin.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

I feel like Golden Souls 2 lost a lot of the charm of the first title. Just a little too big with too many ideas spread a little too thin.

It was a bit too long, the last two worlds felt like more of the same but with a different texture set. I still think it's a great achievement.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This video is better than literally anything else related to Extreme ROTT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImJQmxvwrc

Eat lead!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

My goodness that Painkiller mod looks very polished and fun. The best Painkiller-related thing since Battle out of Hell. I imagine there were attempts at trying to implement the arsenal in a mod but nothing that comes close to what the modder's doing here. (And no, I'm not including Aeons of Death in that statement because that's a big ol' jambalaya of WTF.)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

KozmoNaut posted:

This video is better than literally anything else related to Extreme ROTT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImJQmxvwrc

Eat lead!

Eat, eat, eat, eat TOAST.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
ROTT didn't age well, but the goofy, gimmicky bullshit in it was amazing to a child who made liberal use of the cheat codes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
https://i.imgur.com/HFk5pAK.gif

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

site posted:

looks balanced to me

:hmmyes:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
When someone gets Doom running on a dying human brain, displayed in the pupils of a glazed-over 1000 yard stare with At Doom's Gate playing through the low vibrations of a guttural death rattle, i'll still be disappointed that they couldn't pull it off without a raspberry pi.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

This is just using the display though, I think the game is running on a separate machine that's been wired up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

This is just using the display though, I think the game is running on a separate machine that's been wired up.

It's not even using the original display, the display was one of those basic LCD screens that can only show a few premade images. The only original part is the casing

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
And those that tasted the bite of his posts named him

THE FUN SLAYER

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1393545229559635970

:allears:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014