Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oldstench posted:

My turn to ask for a rec. I want a game that has the same vibe as Cultist Simulator. Not another plate-spinner though. Something with cults and hidden knowledge, crazy lore, weird experimentation, etc. Anything like that?

this game might be up your alley, i don't think it has "crazy" lore but it's all about intrigue and secrecy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA9YWnwQmog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Cultist Simulator developer has a follow up coming out about running a spooky library or something, though I would encourage pirating it rather than supporting someone who abuses his position to sexually harass women

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been going between Hardspace: Shipbreaker and SnowRunner the last couple weeks. Looking for more games along those kinda... Chill Labor Simulator?... lines.

I think* main appeal for me is the sense of satisfaction coming from a big, nasty, ugly, dangerous job done well, alongside the actual ingame rewards (better tools/trucks/roads/whatever). The appeal definitely sn't the actual trucks themselves - I don't give a frank poo poo about trucks or cars, and Euro/American Truck Simulator and the Farm Simulator games completely fell flat for me.

* Emphasis on think. Shipbreaker's a little easier to figure out - love me some space and scifi - but by all rights I should hate SnowRunner. The UX is jank as hell, it's buggy, progression is unclear, and of course it is glacially paced, and yet I can't stop thinking about playing more when I get home!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Viscera Cleanup Detail pretty much created the entire genre of Chill Labor

House Flipper is not bad

Car Mechanic Sim? Kinda repetitive after a while, but you can get some serious podcast hours out of it. I don't give a poo poo about cars either, but disassembling and assembling engines can be very satisfying.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Train Station Renovation was ok.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Glare Seethe posted:

I haven't played it myself so can't vouch for it personally but I always thought The Shrouded Isle looked interesting, and it might fit the bill.

I've only played this a bit - it absolutely has that feeling but I'm not sure you really get to explore the background and lore. The setting is super atmospheric if you want to play a game about cults and dark gods, but it's there for atmosphere rather than being something like Cultist Simulator where you can piece together the ~deep lore~ and read explainer guides about it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ciaphas posted:

I've been going between Hardspace: Shipbreaker and SnowRunner the last couple weeks. Looking for more games along those kinda... Chill Labor Simulator?... lines.

I think* main appeal for me is the sense of satisfaction coming from a big, nasty, ugly, dangerous job done well, alongside the actual ingame rewards (better tools/trucks/roads/whatever). The appeal definitely sn't the actual trucks themselves - I don't give a frank poo poo about trucks or cars, and Euro/American Truck Simulator and the Farm Simulator games completely fell flat for me.

* Emphasis on think. Shipbreaker's a little easier to figure out - love me some space and scifi - but by all rights I should hate SnowRunner. The UX is jank as hell, it's buggy, progression is unclear, and of course it is glacially paced, and yet I can't stop thinking about playing more when I get home!

I enjoyed Mech Mechanic Simulator. For several hours, anyways. The gameplay is repetitive enough that it's pretty relaxing, but complex enough that it doesn't get immediately boring. It adds in new elements as you go along but it doesn't overwhelm you or get too boring.

I pretty much bounced off Hardspace but I am (was, really, haven't played in a while) a huge Snowrunner fan.

I'd like to ask people to recommend 2D platforming/action/etc. games, preferably with pixel graphics, and ones that I've never heard of, but how would you all know what I've heard of? And I've heard of quite a bit I think but the itch is never fully scratched. Basically the more obscure the better and it must be on PC, if any fool wants to take on the challenge.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Foregone is a pretty cool if short (5-6 hours) pixel action platformer with gear and progression reminiscent of Dead Cells, except not a roguelike.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In all my days playing dumb little games on the internet, the two that still stick out most to me are Clarence's Big Chance and Redder. You might also be interested in Fallover or the goonmade Megaman Romhack Megaman Dongs.

In less weird recesses of my brain, there's Torquel, Reagan Gorbachev, One Dog Story, Iconoclasts, and Kero Blaster.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Foregone is a pretty cool if short (5-6 hours) pixel action platformer with gear and progression reminiscent of Dead Cells, except not a roguelike.

I've played it, got about halfway through if I recall then got a bit bored/kept dying. It is a fun and well-made game though

SlothfulCobra posted:

In all my days playing dumb little games on the internet, the two that still stick out most to me are Clarence's Big Chance and Redder. You might also be interested in Fallover or the goonmade Megaman Romhack Megaman Dongs.

In less weird recesses of my brain, there's Torquel, Reagan Gorbachev, One Dog Story, Iconoclasts, and Kero Blaster.

This is great! Only one of these I've played is Iconoclasts. I asked for obscure and that's what you gave me lol, definitely gonna check some of these out. One Dog Story looks particularly attractive to me

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Play posted:

I'd like to ask people to recommend 2D platforming/action/etc. games, preferably with pixel graphics, and ones that I've never heard of, but how would you all know what I've heard of? And I've heard of quite a bit I think but the itch is never fully scratched. Basically the more obscure the better and it must be on PC, if any fool wants to take on the challenge.

I'm not sure if this game is a "hidden gem with cult following" or "obviously any platformer fan has heard of this" but N is basically the only platformer that has ever gripped me, and I'm not at all a platformer kinda guy. It's just slick as hell.

https://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n_downloads.html

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If I want to learn Yu-Gi-Oh which is the best game to do so? (on PC/steam)

Ideally something where I can just buy a game and not have to purchase individual cards or booster packs but if that doesn't exist then I'm not picky.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Play posted:

The Eternal Castle
Huntdown just came out
Seraph
Heat Signature and Gunpoint, you probably heard of those
Party Hard
In Celebration of Violence
Deathstate

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

grate deceiver posted:

The Eternal Castle
Huntdown just came out
Seraph
Party Hard
Deathstate

Gunpoint is short but really, really, really good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

The Eternal Castle
Huntdown just came out
Seraph
Party Hard
Deathstate

I only have the first two, actually, plus Gunpoint (although I am really confused why people keep saying Huntdown just came out, it's been out for at least a year).

Seraph looks cool, kind of reminds me of My Friend Pedro. Party Hard looks badass too, I can definitely enjoy the darker stuff. I'm not a big bullet hell fan though re: Deathstate but In Celebration of Violence is definitely interesting.

Thank you, great response

Deltasquid posted:

I'm not sure if this game is a "hidden gem with cult following" or "obviously any platformer fan has heard of this" but N is basically the only platformer that has ever gripped me, and I'm not at all a platformer kinda guy. It's just slick as hell.

https://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n_downloads.html

A lot of these kinds of games end up being too hard for me and don't have the engaging visuals to convince me to keep trying. I'll give it a try and see though!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Play posted:

I enjoyed Mech Mechanic Simulator. For several hours, anyways. The gameplay is repetitive enough that it's pretty relaxing, but complex enough that it doesn't get immediately boring. It adds in new elements as you go along but it doesn't overwhelm you or get too boring.

I pretty much bounced off Hardspace but I am (was, really, haven't played in a while) a huge Snowrunner fan.

Copy Kitty is severely underrated

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Play posted:

I only have the first two, actually, plus Gunpoint (although I am really confused why people keep saying Huntdown just came out, it's been out for at least a year).

Seraph looks cool, kind of reminds me of My Friend Pedro. Party Hard looks badass too, I can definitely enjoy the darker stuff. I'm not a big bullet hell fan though re: Deathstate but In Celebration of Violence is definitely interesting.

Thank you, great response

A lot of these kinds of games end up being too hard for me and don't have the engaging visuals to convince me to keep trying. I'll give it a try and see though!

This one came out just recently so you might know it, but also check out Everhood, it's very good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Play posted:

Iconoclasts

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Iconoclasts

grate deceiver posted:

This one came out just recently so you might know it, but also check out Everhood, it's very good.

Already own and love both of these games, but thanks <3

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Copy Kitty is severely underrated

Dope gonna check it out

Play fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 13, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What are all the games that procedurally generate characters with their own backstories and personalities? I love all the ones I've encountered that do this. XCOM 2, Darkest Dungeon, and Faster Than Light are three examples.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Chamale posted:

What are all the games that procedurally generate characters with their own backstories and personalities? I love all the ones I've encountered that do this. XCOM 2, Darkest Dungeon, and Faster Than Light are three examples.
Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress immediately spring to mind.

HBS Battletech? Most of the mercs you can hire have proc-gen backgrounds and a few traits that sometimes come up during random events in between missions.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Chamale posted:

Wildermyth?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Chamale posted:

Battle Brothers

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Play posted:

I liked Wildfire quite a lot. It's pretty fast paced stealth platformer with decent amount of content.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Chamale posted:

Tale of Immortal with English Patch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Wildermyth?
Yeah Wildermyth owns

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've got a complicated request that I'm not really sure makes sense for anyone but me.

I like games where you slowly develop a character/entity in a world, getting access to more and more gameplay features and parts of the world. That specific feeling of things opening up around you. The games I can think of that give me this feeling is RuneScape (unlocking new areas and ways to train), Supraland (not a lot of character development, but a world that opens up in a cool way) and heavily modded minecraft (the modpack GT:NH where my new tech unlocks allow me to get new gear/exploit new resources/killing new bosses, getting me more tech, repeat). What other games are like that?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

I've got a complicated request that I'm not really sure makes sense for anyone but me.

I like games where you slowly develop a character/entity in a world, getting access to more and more gameplay features and parts of the world. That specific feeling of things opening up around you. The games I can think of that give me this feeling is RuneScape (unlocking new areas and ways to train), Supraland (not a lot of character development, but a world that opens up in a cool way) and heavily modded minecraft (the modpack GT:NH where my new tech unlocks allow me to get new gear/exploit new resources/killing new bosses, getting me more tech, repeat). What other games are like that?

I feel like I could recommend it for half the posts in this thread, but I get that distinct feeling from Satisfactory. It takes place on one enormous map, and as you exploit more resources, there’s a very satisfying feeling of the world getting smaller as you come to understand it through building within it.

There’s no part of the world locked off to the player per se, but natural geography essentially fills the same purpose and can eventually be overcome with later unlockable tech (a jet pack, for example). Biomes that in the beginning feel totally out of reach eventually become juuuuust about traversable, until finally you’ve built infrastructure in, on, and around it that lets you navigate it any way you want

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Subnatica did a good job of that feeling for me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

In a way I'm reminded of games like Chibi Robo and Moon: Remix RPG Adventure. Both games you effectively have a limited range of motion because your stamina slowly drains as you do actions, and you need to have enough stamina to get back home or else you'll die. The gameplay loop in both games involves helping people with their problems to get more max stamina so that you have access to more of the game world.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Naramyth posted:

Subnatica did a good job of that feeling for me.

My personal feelings on the game aside, yeah, Subnautica would be an immediate go-to suggestion here.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've unfortunately already played Subnautica and Satisfactory, but the mentions of games with energy mechanics are interesting. Is there anything newer than Moon and Chibi-Robo that do that kind of thing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Elswyyr posted:

Kenshi. As you get more dudes the game can turn from a weird RPG to a weird RTS/basebuilder, which in turn enables you to RPG more with a base of resources and food.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

I've unfortunately already played Subnautica and Satisfactory, but the mentions of games with energy mechanics are interesting. Is there anything newer than Moon and Chibi-Robo that do that kind of thing?

Dyson sphere program?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

You're right that doesn't really make sense since it seemingly applies to almost every game. Although I guess in many games you aren't expected to go back to old areas so it's not really the same.

I guess.... Ori and the Blind Forest? Retro Machina which is a new games with a pretty large game world and includes some backtracking? Wandersong? That one sixty second game where you only have 60 seconds to open up a new area or do whatever? Zelda and the Ocarina of Time? I'm probably way off

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Play posted:

That one sixty second game where you only have 60 seconds to open up a new area or do whatever?

Minit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kenshi. As you get more dudes the game can turn from a weird RPG to a weird RTS/basebuilder, which in turn enables you to RPG more with a base of resources and food.

In the same vein, mount and blade.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Skyblock for Minecraft or Minetest maybe

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Chamale posted:

Screwfly Studios integrate this into their games, but danged if I can get any enjoyment out of them (Deadnaut, Zafehouse). Character conflict is usually part of the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Chamale posted:

Shadow of Mordor/War is very much a game about the proc gen character's personalities. The backstory usually starts with "met the PC," but War introduced orcs that have blood brothers and such.