Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

just checking, someone has said Dino Riders, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My Lovely Horse posted:

actually spells as monsters would also own in a classic fantasy game. You don't just "get" spells at level up, you have to go out of your way to find, subdue and record a wild one. Forget the tarrasque, every few decades Wish breaks loose.

The original Guildwars computer game kind of had that with Elite Skills - you had to go out into the world maps and defeat the boss monster that had the skill you wanted.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

So is the idea that the humans fight the dinosaurs or that there's a Dinotopia situation going on here, if potentially one where the dinosaurs are not intelligent? Can human and their natural enemy, dinosaur, unite forces in the face of -- something?

The something should be oil companies that want to kill the dinos and grind up their bones into oil.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

My Lovely Horse posted:

just checking, someone has said Dino Riders, yeah?

Surprisingly no

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Asterite34 posted:

An idea to synergise two thread conversation topics at once: Dying Earth genre dinosaur game, set in the Last Days of the Cretaceous

If you want to add some relevent scifi weirdness, have two competing factions of time travellers, future humans and David Icke esque Reptilians from mutually exclusive futures, in a struggle to determine whether reptiles or mammals come out on top of the coming mass extinction

Alternately, a post-apoc game set directly post-extinction, where the last remnants of sapient dinosaur civilization try to survive and build a society that can endure the oncoming paradigm shifts. (Basically just the backstory of Anonymous Rex, but wouldn't it be fun to play?)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

bbcisdabomb posted:

How could you post the link to the announcement and not post a link to your itch.io page? Shameful.

Well, things weren't underway at the time...

(Also I am bad at self-promotion.)

Here, come buy my stuff! I get a slightly higher revenue share and also my big games are all 20% off for the day.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has anyone ever actually done the meta RPG where you play as a fictional group of friends playing an RPG?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moths posted:

Has anyone ever actually done the meta RPG where you play as a fictional group of friends playing an RPG?

https://kierongillen.itch.io/die-beta

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mean more friends playing a game than jumanji'd into it, but yeah that's pretty close.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Does anyone know what this table is from?

I put in 'Manor', which links to a Forge Studios product, but I am not 100% it's them:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That's Crossby's Harn. Probably from HarnManor, but I think even the corebook for that game has some pretty detailed rules for domain management. Harn is very, very serious about replicating early medieval England in a fantasy world.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Splendid, thank you!

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

potatocubed posted:

Here, come buy my stuff! I get a slightly higher revenue share and also my big games are all 20% off for the day.
Yes, plug your poo poo for Itch.io creator day!

My psychedelic cosmic body horror one-shot about ego murder is also 25% off today: https://atypicalfaux.itch.io/the-pried-eye

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you, yes. I imagine Campaign for Campaign for North Africa would actually be considerably less complicated or detailed to play, than Campaign for North Africa itself, which infamously involves logistical details such as: Italian units need more water than normal because their rations include dry pasta, which has to be boiled, and players must account for this on their spreadsheets.

This of course makes me reconsider Fantasy Fantasy Football, in which a fantasy-football game (like blood bowl) takes place in the setting and the players assemble their fantasy teams of various units on different teams for points across a season, which could potentially take place as a meta-game at a game store where blood bowl leagues take place. (Note that this is distinct from Blood Bowl Manager - the players aren't simulating the management of actual blood bowl teams, they're simulating the management of fantasy... uh, that is, cross-team, virtual, drafted and traded individual players to create on-paper teams that score points based on the performance of the actual individual players on the real fantasy-themed sports tabletop game team...)

Because now we can have Campaign for Fantasy Fantasy Football, in which the players play player-characters who are in-game fans - that is, orks, dwarves, etc. - playing fantasy bloodbowl at their local fantasy tavern or whatever, and the players' goals are to have their player-characters win, or sabotage the game, or get the other PCs to agree to play Gwent or something instead, or discover the location of the magical Ring of Spreadsheets and obtain its incredible power.

Oh for sure Campaign for Campaign for North Africa would be simpler than Campaign for North Africa. Now I'm kind of invested in spelling this out as a game idea, the trouble is that my ideas for how it such a thing would actually play spiral out into "40k crusade" level of complexity and time consumption when I know I'm pretty much not gonna play anything that takes more than like an afternoon.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

potatocubed posted:

Likewise all my paid stuff is 10% off (basically passing the savings on to anyone who buys them)!

Creator Day Sale

Warthur
May 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

The Night Land is probably pretty high on the bleakness chart, but then that one is kinda a weird one no matter how you look at it(which makes sense since it's basically the prototype for the genre)
Some pointers on the weirdness in case people are planning to tackle it:

- It's deliberately written in a long-winded, faux-archaic style because (IIRC) the premise is that the novel is an 18th century gentleman writing about a vision he had of the impossibly far future.
- A crucial plot moment entails the protagonist spanking his lady friend on the butt to calm her down, and there's a lot of foot stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

Yes, it's called "Knights in the Dining Room" and uses the DOGS system (if you got a copy of Dogs in the Vineyard before the author stopped selling it, that'll work too). Your stats are IC, OOC, Words, and Numbers, and the available conflict arenas are roleplaying (IC + Words, d4 fallout), gameplay (IC + Numbers, d6 fallout), rules lawyering (OOC + Numbers, d8 fallout), and argument (OOC + Words, d10 fallout). Everyone starts play with a personal grievance (as equipment dice + 1d4, for use in arguments.) Taking fallout can result in your character being nerfed or, at its worst, being kicked out of the group. If you're on the edge of being kicked out of the group other people can argue they need your character at the table to keep you in; this uses their Words and your Numbers.

The GM experiences injustice, which creates dungeons. If allowed to foment, they will progress through the stages of resentment: GM venting (1d10), grudge monsters (2d10), house rules (3d10), GMPCs (4d10), and spiteful annihilation (5d10). Add the appropriate value to the opposition whenever the GM worked really hard on it, or to 4d6 if the players are engaging things other than the GM characters and forcing the GM to improvise.

To bring in various traits or belongings and improve the fallout the GM takes (to boost you if you win the conflict) you can invoke various rituals of play; you can increase roleplaying fallout to d6 from a raise if you mention a tie-in novel or magazine or a costume or prop your player is wearing, limit one each per player per conflict, and they must all be different. You can increase gameplaying fallout to d8 from a raise, with the same restrictions, if you mention an obscure rules table you're citing or a special die or method of die rolling you're using.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's very cute but also im so tired of the old jokes about the GM hating their players

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Glazius posted:

Yes, it's called "Knights in the Dining Room" and uses the DOGS system (if you got a copy of Dogs in the Vineyard before the author stopped selling it, that'll work too). Your stats are IC, OOC, Words, and Numbers, and the available conflict arenas are roleplaying (IC + Words, d4 fallout), gameplay (IC + Numbers, d6 fallout), rules lawyering (OOC + Numbers, d8 fallout), and argument (OOC + Words, d10 fallout). Everyone starts play with a personal grievance (as equipment dice + 1d4, for use in arguments.) Taking fallout can result in your character being nerfed or, at its worst, being kicked out of the group. If you're on the edge of being kicked out of the group other people can argue they need your character at the table to keep you in; this uses their Words and your Numbers.

The GM experiences injustice, which creates dungeons. If allowed to foment, they will progress through the stages of resentment: GM venting (1d10), grudge monsters (2d10), house rules (3d10), GMPCs (4d10), and spiteful annihilation (5d10). Add the appropriate value to the opposition whenever the GM worked really hard on it, or to 4d6 if the players are engaging things other than the GM characters and forcing the GM to improvise.

To bring in various traits or belongings and improve the fallout the GM takes (to boost you if you win the conflict) you can invoke various rituals of play; you can increase roleplaying fallout to d6 from a raise if you mention a tie-in novel or magazine or a costume or prop your player is wearing, limit one each per player per conflict, and they must all be different. You can increase gameplaying fallout to d8 from a raise, with the same restrictions, if you mention an obscure rules table you're citing or a special die or method of die rolling you're using.

I love this and love that there's attempts to continue the lost art of generic DITV.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Warthur posted:

Some pointers on the weirdness in case people are planning to tackle it:

- It's deliberately written in a long-winded, faux-archaic style because (IIRC) the premise is that the novel is an 18th century gentleman writing about a vision he had of the impossibly far future.
- A crucial plot moment entails the protagonist spanking his lady friend on the butt to calm her down, and there's a lot of foot stuff.

Also that about a decade ago James Stoddard did a "retelling" of The Night Land that does a lot to make it more readable by modern standards

Most importantly is that in spite of being an early example of what is now known as Dying Earth literature and also quite the Horror story in many regards too, more than anything else The Night Land is a Love story, to quote a review of the original version when it debuted over a century ago; "the most touching, exquisite romance that has ever been written"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I think the most important thing is the pizza cutter

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

potatocubed posted:

Hey folks, if you were looking to spend some money on RPGs over the next few days maybe hold off until tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/itchio/status/1392563376513945601

I mean, the standard payout on itch is 90% anyway so I don't think it's a big deal if you buy at other times, but you know -- if you want to support indie creators that tiny bit more tomorrow's a good day to purchase.

(Specifically it's a good day to purchase my games in particular, self-promo, self-promo, etc.)

Ugh, this is what I get for buying interesting stuff as soon as I see it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

UnCO3 posted:

Likewise all my paid stuff is 10% off (basically passing the savings on to anyone who buys them)!

Creator Day Sale

Thanks you two - picked up some stuff that looked good from potatocubed and all those cool typefaces you're making for game poo poo UnCO3.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
How do I not already own Pigsmoke?!

And I definitely need these typefaces...

Anyone else have anything cool they'd like to highlight on Itch?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

The part that bugged the poo poo out of me most about The Night Land is that Hodgson had no concept of time scales. Sure, it was based on outdated geological science, which I could live with, but things like The Road Makers society lasting for at least a million years and taking a significant portion of that time to build a big road into a valley.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's like the opposite of the history of Howard's Hyboria, where an ethnic group evolved from apes to men, then devolved back to apes, then evolved to humans again, in the span of like 100,000 years. (Does SA have a eugenics smiley?)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

It's like the opposite of the history of Howard's Hyboria, where an ethnic group evolved from apes to men, then devolved back to apes, then evolved to humans again, in the span of like 100,000 years. (Does SA have a eugenics smiley?)

:biotruths: probably. Howard didn't invent that idea, but he borrowed it and leaned on it as part of his concept of ages of civilization being relatively brief interruptions between longer ages of savagery and barbarism. Which itself stemmed from certain personal convictions he had about the tenuous and possibly undesirable nature of "civilization" itself.

He did not actually believe it was a thing that had really happened; it was a convenient trope for his fantasy worldbuilding, although that's not necessarily an excuse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's come up before possibly in this very thread, but Howard had a more nuanced take on race than most pulp, especially in later stories. A description of Conan matches up a lot with Native Americans, besides the blue eyes.

Apparently he grew up in Texas around when the old cattle ranchers were being displaced by the oil industry, and had the insight to draw comparison to how the First Nations people before them had been driven out and disenfranchised in turn.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thematically you are right but the Cimmerians are pretty much a Celtic stand-in iirc

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nessus posted:

So is the idea that the humans fight the dinosaurs or that there's a Dinotopia situation going on here, if potentially one where the dinosaurs are not intelligent? Can human and their natural enemy, dinosaur, unite forces in the face of -- something?
Maybe in a sequel or something. I was just thinking of pure Paleolithic survival. Folks are Aurignacian level (40k years before present). You have spear throwers, early wolf dogs, cave painting and that's the height of technology.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plutonis posted:

Thematically you are right but the Cimmerians are pretty much a Celtic stand-in iirc

They can be more than one thing. Honestly, easy mode for making fantasy cultures is to mash together IRL ones.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's come up before possibly in this very thread, but Howard had a more nuanced take on race than most pulp, especially in later stories. A description of Conan matches up a lot with Native Americans, besides the blue eyes.

Apparently he grew up in Texas around when the old cattle ranchers were being displaced by the oil industry, and had the insight to draw comparison to how the First Nations people before them had been driven out and disenfranchised in turn.
Right, but he also expressed views about the necessity of lynching to make other races know their place. That awareness of the long-term possibility of being sidelined, disenfranchised, and driven to extinction was to take the view that white culture needed to violently and viciously protect itself from that process, rather than seeing the possibility of breaking the cycle (or taking the more philosophical view that everything is dust eventually and railing against it just makes everything harder).

People talk about Conan as being this barbarian vs. civilisation thing, but I think in the original Howard stories you can absolutely perceive a sort of three way system. Howard talks about "barbarism", "savagery", and "civilisation" and I think he is actually quite careful about how he uses those terms. Howard's "savage", rooted as it is in then-current racist depictions of African tribes and other "primitive" society, is this very atavistic back-to-nature sort of thing (to the point where some characters in Howard literally "return to monke"). Civilisation is the opposite pole in that spectrum: very organised, very refined, very technologically advanced, very distant from nature (and specifically the "red in tooth and claw" version of nature that Howard believed in, Howard being one of those people who don't quite get that "survival of the fittest" doesn't always mean "survival of the toughest"). Barbarism and barbarians exist in a sort of happy medium between the two - sophisticated enough to have villages and blacksmiths and whatnot, but close enough to their primal roots to be utter badasses.

It's a theory of culture which he has clearly thought about a lot and is clearly deeply biased and absurd, and wow do Howard scholars get upset when you mention that.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Howard may well have been riffing on theories about ancient contact between Native Americans and the Welsh or Irish there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Going to quote myself from the other thread about Howard:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think the easiest way to judge how racist these pulp writers are is to see what happened when they placed their stories in Africa. Here's a quote that really struck me when I read a collection of REH's Solomon Kane stories more than a decade ago, and while I no longer have the volume, thankfully Australia's Project Gutenberg considers them to be public domain, so I was able to track it down. It's from "Wings in the Night", first published in Weird Tales, July 1932.

quote:

KANE stood with the ju-ju stave in one hand and the smoking pistol in the other, above the smouldering ruins that hid forever from the sight of man the last of those terrible, semi-human monsters whom another hero had banished from Europe in an unknown age. Kane stood, an unconscious statue of triumph—the ancient empires fall, the dark-skinned peoples fade and even the demons of antiquity gasp their last, but over all stands the Aryan barbarian, white-skinned, cold-eyed, dominant, the supreme fighting man of the earth, whether he be clad in wolf-hide and horned helmet, or boots and doublet—whether he bear in his hand battle-ax or rapier—whether he be called Dorian, Saxon or Englishman—whether his name is Jason, Hengist or Solomon Kane.

It's not subtle.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh yeah, the Saxons and English, famous for never losing battles

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Warthur posted:

Howard may well have been riffing on theories about ancient contact between Native Americans and the Welsh or Irish there.

Yeah those theories lasted for a long time

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Aryan barbarian
hell of an 80s wrestling name right there

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Going to quote myself from the other thread about Howard:

It's not subtle.

Howard embraces white supremacy there, but he doesn't do so entirely uncritically. He implicitly rejects the notion of cultural superiority with the "Aryan barbarian" line and explicitly rejects technology's role: "whether he be clad in wolf-hide and horned helmet, or boots and doublet—whether he bear in his hand battle-ax or rapier." All that's left to explain European superiority is the ruthless application violence, being "the supreme fighting man."

Plutonis posted:

I always felt the Picts were the Celtic stand in. Conan's blue-eyes always made me think of stories of blue-eyed Native Americans, an indication that he had "mixed blood".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone played Aeon's End? My friends and I are playing and trying to determine if there is any upper limit to how many cards the nemesis can have in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, that figures. Almost gotta keep in mind there's more than one way to be racist. Actually that does dovetail with a lot of white supremacist and fascist ideology that goes on about decadence and degeneracy more than savagery.