Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

In Training posted:

i wasted all of my lawn mowing money on this pile.

I never even got very far in it, I remember being unable to escape prison at some point.

I had the PS2 version. later I found out that my non-gamer fiancee thought it was the greatest game ever made and she and her sister would co-op the PC version by having one person press the movement keys and the other player press all the other keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i fell for the Zoop hype and asked my mom to buy it on genesis despite it costing like $69 in 1995 dollars and her insisting that game sucked. i played it like two times and was scared to live in shame until i was able to trade it at school for contra hard corps and spider-man maximum carnage.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
cool mom

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
POV - you got birthday money and go to Toys R Us but they're sold out of whatever Castlevania or Mega Man game you want. But you want to spend the money NOW

They're okay. I actually really like the dumbass pizza eating card game in Yo Noid

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yo noid is pretty good but the bonus game is a slog

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
for some reason seeing the NES boxes where it's just the art with the red NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM strip at the top is a unique dopamine trigger for me

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

lmfao this seems like something you'd see on a fake game cover twitter or something

Ricky Poontang

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

for some reason seeing the NES boxes where it's just the art with the red NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM strip at the top is a unique dopamine trigger for me

Same

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the place i used to go for karate was next to where we rented videos. i was told that i could pick any used game i wanted after my brown belt with one black stripe ceremony. all they had for snes was shaq fu.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

I had the PS2 version. later I found out that my non-gamer fiancee thought it was the greatest game ever made and she and her sister would co-op the PC version by having one person press the movement keys and the other player press all the other keys.

Lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

last time i got out the ps2 to play katamari my heart sped up when i heard the ps2 startup noise

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

My uncle offered to buy me a game from the used game store for my birthday and for whatever reason, I narrowed it down to either THPS3 or this

I'm pretty sure I cried when I got home and realized it was a game where you literally just walked around a virtual theme park

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
isn't that the one where you walk around a virtual theme park and have to pick up all the trash everywhere before you can do anything

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Kid Brain - "should I buy the game I've already rented 5 times and know that I love and will play over and over, or this game I have never seen in my life prior to coming in this store?"

Time to decide.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Pretty sure this was gifted to me by an aunt or grandma, and I actually liked it despite never getting very far. Years later I went through and learned that the water level and castle are bullshit. And some jumps are tedious. Also the basketball mini game was weird. I still have the box but not the game.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Tato posted:

Kid Brain - "should I buy the game I've already rented 5 times and know that I love and will play over and over, or this game I have never seen in my life prior to coming in this store?"

Time to decide.

Had this for GameBoy, it was pretty atmospheric because the soundtrack was just the most famous bit of moonlight sonata on repeat. But kid (and adult) me had no patience for that kind of Jet Set Willy poo poo.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I spent one summer with my southern baptist pastor uncle. Mom gave me $100, knowing it was going to games. I'd been dying for months to get Xenogears and it was never available for rental. First day there and we go to the brand new game store and get it and me and my cousins are so hype. We spend the next few weeks playing the hell out of it until my younger cousin tells his mom that we're playing a very non-Christian game. My uncle pressures me into returning it, despite my cries that it's just a game. And that's how I ended up with Tail of the Sun.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got really into JRPGs on the SNES and then I decided I wanted a Saturn even though they had already announced FF7 for the PS1 at that point. I got this game which is one of the more generic RPGs I've ever played and had a translation by Working Designs including their stupid pop culture references. FF7 came out literally two months later, thankfully I eventually got a PS1

This and Vay are two piece of poo poo Working Designs-localized games I have spent way too much time playing, to the point that I was single session completing them. I know they're not good games but I have a soft spot for em

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tawal posted:

I spent one summer with my southern baptist pastor uncle. Mom gave me $100, knowing it was going to games. I'd been dying for months to get Xenogears and it was never available for rental. First day there and we go to the brand new game store and get it and me and my cousins are so hype. We spend the next few weeks playing the hell out of it until my younger cousin tells his mom that we're playing a very non-Christian game. My uncle pressures me into returning it, despite my cries that it's just a game. And that's how I ended up with Tail of the Sun.

Lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

imagining a badass uncle with a thick drawl and a huge booming voice walking in on the chu-chu crucifixion scene and going apeshit

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

tawal posted:

art dink ftw

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

tawal posted:

This and Vay are two piece of poo poo Working Designs-localized games I have spent way too much time playing, to the point that I was single session completing them. I know they're not good games but I have a soft spot for em

Vay is so generic it would have felt old back in 1987. I’m not sure why it even exists. I played the mobile port lol

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

b_d posted:

this game was kind of cool in a way but it actually sucked poo poo.

They used the tech in this game to make those catz / dogz pc games which I spent an ungodly amount of hours on as a kid.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I rented Bubsy multiple times as a kid OP.

I did this as well

Honestly, the 2D Bubsys could've been an awful lot worse. At least I didn't carry any nostalgia over and left Bubsy 3D the hell alone

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003

Kaveman posted:

They used the tech in this game to make those catz / dogz pc games which I spent an ungodly amount of hours on as a kid.

oddballz was a masterpiece

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Kaveman posted:

whoa, had no idea those were related. I played with catz for a while.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kaveman posted:

huh, that's something I never knew. I rented Ballz a bunch too, insert your own joke here

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
iirc the guy who founded the company that made ballz and the petz games had previously worked on Night Trap on the sega cd and got so loving fed up with the controversy surrounding it that he devoted himself to making family games that congressmen couldn't harangue him over

then he named the company Pure loving Magic

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Randy Pitchford ftw

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

I rented this one a bunch of times because I thought it was awesome that if you went off a jump and landed on another car it would explode and you’d get a bunch of points for a “death from above”

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

in the mid 90s my little brother secretly packed our entire SNES collection into his backpack, got our mom to take him to our local game store at the mall, and traded in around 75% of our games to afford a brand new copy of Lester the Unlikely for like $60

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Sub-Actuality posted:

in the mid 90s my little brother secretly packed our entire SNES collection into his backpack, got our mom to take him to our local game store at the mall, and traded in around 75% of our games to afford a brand new copy of Lester the Unlikely for like $60

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

No judge would have convicted you for fratricide in this scenario

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

lmfao noooo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sub-Actuality posted:

Cain slaying Abel in the field via a Super Scope blast to the head

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic posted:

Cain slaying Abel in the field via a Super Scope blast to the head

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imp Zone has been incredible lately

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted: