Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Chuds aren’t just going to pass covid around themselves and that’ll be it. It’s going to likely keep mutating and we will never get over it unless people are beating the gently caress out of chuds and forcing them to get vaccines.

Unfortunately their stupidity is going to get a lot of people killed, but it’ll only be X% above average annual flu deaths, and nobody will give a poo poo that we are going to kill tens of thousands annually because it’s easier to let chuds complain and normalize horrible things than to actually do anything about it.

We won’t even give a poo poo soon. It’ll just be normal. It’ll be “statistics” instead of “unnecessary death.”

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the cult of normalization of deviance

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We are all on the titanic. Just because you’re vaccinated doesn’t mean your end of the ship isn’t going down due to a lot of other pieces of poo poo. Rich people already have all of the lifeboats.

Shame them. Embarrass them. Make them pariahs within their environment. Make no one want to be around them.

Seriously, our wagons are hitched together and there’s no way to let chuds eat poo poo on their own.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Ah I guess I’ve heard some non goldbugs talking about looming hyperinflation being a concern this time around to explain why number is going up during the pandemic despite there being no economic recovery, probably a lot more complicated than that.

So basically my understanding is that the fact that the US dollar is the global reserve currency makes it really attractive to address debts through the creation of new money, and especially since the 2007 crash the US has used money creation as a primary tool for stimulating the (fake Wall Street) economy. Traditional economics says that if you keep doing that for too long you are eventually going to face an inflationary cycle that could easily turn into hyperinflation if/when countries move away from the dollar, and on top of that once you adopt that approach it's really hard to back away from it without cratering your economy.

On the other hand, traditional economics has been wrong about a lot of things (see: 2007), and there's a diverging perspective that says that the above isn't likely to happen (this is the whole "Modern Monetary Theory" thing), and really nobody knows what the gently caress is going on or what is going to happen and anybody who says otherwise is selling you something.

See: https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/4/16/18251646/modern-monetary-theory-new-moment-explained

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

Chuds aren’t just going to pass covid around themselves and that’ll be it. It’s going to likely keep mutating and we will never get over it unless people are beating the gently caress out of chuds and forcing them to get vaccines.

There's a counterpoint developing:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1392168594197319680?s=19

All of the vaccines were have right now are based on the original coronavirus that came out 18 months ago and they're still plenty effective. All of the mutants so far have mostly adapted for contagiousness, rather than evasion. On top of that, boosters appear viable and we're getting more and more vaccine production online.

Considering most of the big-number caseloads come from big cities (usually packed with Democrats), it's possible that the chuds can't get infected with the numbers needed to develop said variants that evade vaccines. Or we could all die, all possible!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
NYT has the most detail on the Gaetz buddy pleading out on Monday:

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1393259972759261184?s=19

quote:

Joel Greenberg, who was a tax collector in the Orlando area until he was indicted last year, did not implicate Mr. Gaetz by name in papers filed by prosecutors in Federal District Court in Orlando.

But Mr. Greenberg admitted that he and unidentified others had paid a 17-year-old girl for sex and that he had provided her with drugs. He admitted that he “introduced the minor to other adult men, who engaged in commercial sex acts” with her, according to the documents, and that he was sometimes present. The others were not named.

Prosecutors revealed in the documents that they have evidence they say corroborates Mr. Greenberg’s admissions — including a series of communications and transactions Mr. Greenberg had with the girl, and a list of dates of their sexual encounters. The inclusion of that material appeared designed to bolster the credibility of Mr. Greenberg as a witness whose truthfulness would likely be challenged by anyone who is charged based on anything he tells prosecutors.

Mr. Gaetz, a close ally of former President Donald J. Trump, is said to be under investigation into whether he violated sex trafficking laws by having sex with the same girl. Mr. Greenberg, who has been meeting with prosecutors for at least five months, has told investigators that Mr. Gaetz had sex with the girl and knew that she was being paid, according to a person briefed on the inquiry.

Caveat: https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1393262024554024961?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 14, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maddow really lost me as a potential viewer when she hyped up having trump’s tax returns for an entire day and I think even said some poo poo like “we got ‘em” or something and then she had a ten minute monologue about how serious this was and then it turns out the tax returns were from like 20 loving years ago and nobody cares

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Every Trump or GOP member 'we got them!' is actually in reference to how they got them with respect to morality and the Dems have the high ground. Like Gaetz, he's been got because now we know he's a terrible amoral human and after experiencing no consequences surely his constituents will vote him out now :)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

maffew buildings posted:

Every Trump or GOP member 'we got them!' is actually in reference to how they got them with respect to morality and the Dems have the high ground. Like Gaetz, he's been got because now we know he's a terrible amoral human and after experiencing no consequences surely his constituents will vote him out now :)

Have a giggle at this:

https://www.congress.gov/member/district/matt-gaetz/G000578

Considering his district is the entire western Florida panhandle with a PVI of R+20, and includes Pensacola and Eglin AFB, Gaetz represents his constituents pretty dead-on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He continues his thread here:
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1393262971195854856

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
If it makes people feel any better, I read a few Chud forums and even they're getting sick of the constant "BOOM!!" tweets from Chud prognosticators. And not even just Q people - the regular dummies are losing faith in the Arizona recount and various election lawsuits because the booms are always guaranteed duds.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

boop the snoot posted:

Maddow really lost me as a potential viewer when she hyped up having trump’s tax returns for an entire day and I think even said some poo poo like “we got ‘em” or something and then she had a ten minute monologue about how serious this was and then it turns out the tax returns were from like 20 loving years ago and nobody cares

Maddow just kind of generally sucks imo. Like I think I share goals and principals with her, but the stuff she reports on and the methods the uses in her reporting do nothing for me. Just another talking head filter to provide hot takes that doesn't actually add anything of value to the conversation.

That said I always *wanted* to believe what she was saying, but I can only feel misled so many times before I look elsewhere for analysis.

maffew buildings posted:

last I checked Gaetz has an open federal investigation against him for a whole slew of topics so I'm not sure where the notion he is going to experience no consequences comes from.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 14, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A study found 12 individual accounts are responsible for 60+% of vaccine disinformation on social media.

They are:

quote:

1. Joseph Mercola
2. Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
3. Ty and Charlene Bollinger
4. Sherri Tenpenny
5. Rizza Islam
6. Rashid Buttar
7. Erin Elizabeth
8. Sayer Ji
9. Kelly Brogan
10. Christiane Northrup
11. BenTapper
12. Kevin Jenkins

NPR broke the news of the study.

The biggest news is most of these accounts are still on the biggest social platforms, despite their press releases about shutting down mis- and disinformation.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-news/georgia-courts-its-lawful-to-use-force-to-resist-an-unlawful-arrest/6PH7RJZYIFBUXFCSB255REDRLQ/

The Georgia Supreme Court has ruled that it's permissible to use a proportionate amount of force and/or property damage when resisting an unlawful arrest.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Holy poo poo :laffo:, what a callback to 2005 forums lore

Also I haven’t seen this discussed here, but it looks like the rot in the SOF community I sn’t just confined to the SEALs. Delta is specifically mentioned here as having some serious problems with its operators getting into some shady poo poo like drug trafficking and murder. This article also refers to a lot of murders and suspicious deaths that have occurred at Fort Bragg that have not been prosecuted or adequately investigated.

I have a friend who was in SF and he’s hinted at seeing some dark poo poo in the community during his time in. I know better not to ask. Glad this forum led me to not enlisting as an 18X back in the early 2010s.

Jesus this is an unbelievably disturbing article. Is it still that bad since the head of SOCOM started taking notice?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

McNally posted:

https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-news/georgia-courts-its-lawful-to-use-force-to-resist-an-unlawful-arrest/6PH7RJZYIFBUXFCSB255REDRLQ/

The Georgia Supreme Court has ruled that it's permissible to use a proportionate amount of force and/or property damage when resisting an unlawful arrest.

Don't worry, Georgia is also working on laws to make protesting illegal whenever the police say it is.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sounds like they’re just giving cops more room to say they were reacting in self defense when they magdump into a guy’s back.

But maybe I just don’t have enough faith in the police.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

McNally posted:

I feel like this decision should be a "good thing".

I also know that this will backfire somehow, because... Georgia?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

They'll just make it legal to kill on sight and run them over while declaring them an unlawful protestor.

Unlawful Combatants broke everyone's brain.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

boop the snoot posted:

Maddow really lost me as a potential viewer when she...

claimed Democrats were the party supporting people who worked for a living.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

It won't backfire, because, it's very rarely going to come up because it depends on the following three reasons:

1)Violently resisting doesn't end up in your death

2)The police didn't have probable cause in the first place

3)The police don't lie about having probable cause.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Jesus this is an unbelievably disturbing article. Is it still that bad since the head of SOCOM started taking notice?

I'm not surprised. You spend 20 years telling dudes they are above the law, they start to act like they are.
Special Forces had similar problems during Vietnam/Post-VN. They expanded drastically, and unfortunately, that means cultural changes, if not change in quality. The mission set by necessity requires more than a fair measure of clan/tribalism, which creates a circular cycle.
Add to that, the OPTEMPO and Operational History of SMU/SOF forces, the military made the mold for the issue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm not surprised. You spend 20 years telling dudes they are above the law, they start to act like they are.
Special Forces had similar problems during Vietnam/Post-VN. They expanded drastically, and unfortunately, that means cultural changes, if not change in quality. The mission set by necessity requires more than a fair measure of clan/tribalism, which creates a circular cycle.
Add to that, the OPTEMPO and Operational History of SMU/SOF forces, the military made the mold for the issue.

Yeah, there's an ongoing NYPD officer being charged with torturing his 8 year old son to death, these people get power and the abusive tendencies come out fast.

Power attracts the worst people.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
there is a non trivial amount of people in the US with access to government supplied weapons that shouldn't even have a metal spoon and Im not entirely sure what we do about them

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yikes, it's not just telling dudes they are above the law. They are actually keeping them above the law.

quote:

The justification was unconvincing on its face. No screwdriver was found anywhere near Leshikar’s body. The autopsy showed that he had been shot from multiple angles, including from behind. Even if Leshikar had come at him with a screwdriver, “Billy wouldn’t just forget how to disarm somebody,” Nicole says. “He was trained for that.”

The Army officer who did the line-of-duty investigation, a copy of which was first obtained by Jack Murphy of Connecting Vets, noted several discrepancies between the statements Lavigne gave and the evidence collected, including the absence of a screwdriver. “Ultimately,” he concluded in his March 11th, 2019, report, “I determined that [Lavigne] was NOT credible.”

Nevertheless, local officials were satisfied by Lavigne’s claim of self-defense. He was never booked, photographed, or taken before a magistrate for a bond hearing. He didn’t spend a single night in jail.
Two months later, someone nearly died of a heroin overdose at Lavigne’s house. The police came and he was arrested in possession of cocaine, a digital scale, a crack pipe, a revolver, a hunting rifle, a snub-nosed pistol, and a pump-action shotgun. The next day, he was indicted on two felony charges: harboring an escapee and maintaining a vehicle or dwelling place to manufacture a controlled substance. No one could tell me who the escapee was, or what they had escaped from, but Cumberland County dropped all charges against Lavigne.
UPDATE: After this story went to press, a U.S. Army Special Operations Command spokesperson gave this statement to Rolling Stone regarding how the command handled Billy Lavigne’s legal trouble: “Due to his length of service, Master Sgt. Lavigne was entitled to a variety of due process protections. Appropriate adverse action, which was previously initiated in response to substantiated misconduct, was being finalized at the time of Master Sgt. Lavigne’s death.”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Y'all fools are acting like these fuckers are above lying about getting a vaccine so no one hassles them and they don't have to wear your stupid masks.

What are you gonna do, check papers?

loving lol we're so hosed I hope it doesn't hurt whenever it happens.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My dumb grandma and uncle died so that Babylon can continue to sell it's wares.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Appears to count 6 or more dead in one shooting.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cythereal posted:

I always thought mass shoutings were 3+ people. The US has leveled up!

A pretty :chefskiss: example of the normalization of gun violence.

How many years before a mass shooting is only double digit victims?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Darkside, the ransomware group that hit Colonial, appears to be getting taken down

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1393236555616165891?s=20

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don’t know anything about what it’s like to be in the military, but as an acute care doc I know plenty about the effects of PTSD on drug use. The one thing that struck me the most that I listened to recently was that after 9/11 when the military wanted to dramatically increase the number of SEALS they were passing, they hired an independent contractor to investigate exactly which qualities in a human gave them the best chance of completing BUD/S and being a successful SEAL. They combed through a ton of metrics, from physical fitness, to intelligence, to all sorts of stuff. Really the one thing that stuck out, however, and very strongly correlated with a person succeeding through BUD/S and beyond, was having a high Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE) score. Social work and doctors are quite intimate with how powerful a predictor the ACE score is for predicting future drug use, social fallout, etc. It’s a scoring system that takes into account several types of childhood trauma. But this independent contractor’s findings basically scared the poo poo out of them. Really, the majority of SEALs had extremely high ACE scores.

The military is for all intents and purposes, hiring people with high ACE scores, childhood trauma and a predilection for adverse adult outcomes, into a line of work riddled with further traumatic events (and the high likelihood of TBI, compounding the issue immensely), and then really doing very little if anything to support them with mental health resources and therapy after the job is done. Is it any surprise at all, really, that these people end up abusing drugs, etc? It also speaks volumes that the suicide rate among special forces operators is more than 3x higher than nearly any other demographic in the country. It’s all just flabbergasting.

I mean, maybe some argument could be made that we need this type of soldier right now; one who’s high ACE scores and childhood trauma allow them to compartmentalize, tolerate extreme trauma, and get a job done that nobody else could do. But gently caress, if we are going to leverage that type of behavior on that type of human we need to have like, deep comprehensive mental health resources lines up for them on the back end so they don’t spiral into oblivion. Anyways that’s my take sorry. That article really shook me.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 14, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Darkside, the ransomware group that hit Colonial, appears to be getting taken down

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1393236555616165891?s=20

Not gonna lie, when I saw "something very bad happening" I thought it would be more than their blog and payment processor going down, followed by DarkSide offering refunds for its customers.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I saw that post. They’re still using the standing metric of four people shot in one incident. It doesn’t differentiate between “active shooter” incidents where a gunman starts shooting random people in a targeted or semi-targeted event or an incident like a gang shooting or domestic violence. This isn’t to downplay the horrific impact of gun violence or to suggest that there aren’t things we as a country should be doing to stop it, but claiming stats like this gives the impression that there’s been nearly 200 active shooter incidents in the US which simply isn’t the case.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It doesn’t differentiate between “active shooter” incidents where a gunman starts shooting random people in a targeted or semi-targeted event or an incident like a gang shooting or domestic violence.

Who cares?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Have a giggle at this:

https://www.congress.gov/member/district/matt-gaetz/G000578

Considering his district is the entire western Florida panhandle with a PVI of R+20, and includes Pensacola and Eglin AFB, Gaetz represents his constituents pretty dead-on.

lol yeah he might as well run again anyway, nobody cares

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don’t know anything about what it’s like to be in the military, but as an acute care doc I know plenty about the effects of PTSD on drug use. The one thing that struck me the most that I listened to recently was that after 9/11 when the military wanted to dramatically increase the number of SEALS they were passing, they hired an independent contractor to investigate exactly which qualities in a human gave them the best chance of completing BUD/S and being a successful SEAL. They combed through a ton of metrics, from physical fitness, to intelligence, to all sorts of stuff. Really the one thing that stuck out, however, and very strongly correlated with a person succeeding through BUD/S and beyond, was having a high Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE) score. Social work and doctors are quite intimate with how powerful a predictor the ACE score is for predicting future drug use, social fallout, etc. It’s a scoring system that takes into account several types of childhood trauma. But this independent contractor’s findings basically scared the poo poo out of them. Really, the majority of SEALs had extremely high ACE scores.

The military is for all intents and purposes, hiring people with high ACE scores, childhood trauma and a predilection for adverse adult outcomes, into a line of work riddled with further traumatic events (and the high likelihood of TBI, compounding the issue immensely), and then really doing very little if anything to support them with mental health resources and therapy after the job is done. Is it any surprise at all, really, that these people end up abusing drugs, etc? It also speaks volumes that the suicide rate among special forces operators is more than 3x higher than nearly any other demographic in the country. It’s all just flabbergasting.

I mean, maybe some argument could be made that we need this type of soldier right now; one who’s high ACE scores and childhood trauma allow them to compartmentalize, tolerate extreme trauma, and get a job done that nobody else could do. But gently caress, if we are going to leverage that type of behavior on that type of human we need to have like, deep comprehensive mental health resources lines up for them on the back end so they don’t spiral into oblivion. Anyways that’s my take sorry. That article really shook me.

I didn't know about ACE scores. Also, this explains many of the soldiers I have known.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I did drugs to deal with childhood trauma and then I joined the military to help me get off drugs.

Imagine my surprise when I came out significantly with more trauma then I went in with.

At least I don’t do the hardcore drugs anymore.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Shootings that involve multiple armed people who shoot at other groups aren't really a good metric to try and throw in if your trying to figureout what makes this poo poo happen. It also allows conservatives to try to target minorities due to it often happening in impoverished areas and gang territory. see the narrative that constantly pops up on social media about gangs causing the problems while everyone else is a law abiding citizen.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

That sounds hard and expensive so I think we'll just keep leveraging their maladaptive coping methods to enforce the will of capital for as long as possible while gambling they won't hurt anyone rich enough to matter when it all blows up.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Blind Rasputin posted:

I mean, maybe some argument could be made that we need this type of soldier right now; one who’s high ACE scores and childhood trauma allow them to compartmentalize, tolerate extreme trauma, and get a job done that nobody else could do.

It seems rather bold to assume that they were ever able to compartmentalize and tolerate the extreme trauma.