Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

stev posted:

It's all so bloody noncommittal. If they're going to delay the June changes I wish they'd just get it over with and say so now so people can re-plan their lives.
You don't seem to understand though, rich people might lose money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i just wish we had some information either way on whether the other foot is dropping and the indian variant is going to gently caress everything up, or if this is just a hiccup

the media wants me to be terrified at all times because its good for business, I realise this and yet I cannot deny this is making me anxious.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes, the whole point of ideology is that it's completely invisible to the person holding it unless they make a very real effort to engage with their thought processes and value systems and the broader implications of their actions at quite a deep level. This isn't necessarily a fun process, because it means acknowledging your own culpability in some pretty grim things, particularly if you're part of a group that has benefited at the expense of others (i.e. everyone in the West).
That's going to be a huge problem in terms of explaining to your average joe the concept of why capitalism is bad.

Most people could probably get behind an explaination of the redistribution of wealth if you point out the scale of how much more than them a multibillionaire has. By now, most people get the whole 99% vs the 1% thing.

If you scale that out globally though and point out that we (the average uk internet connected house) are the 1% in that situation, you get into trickier territory because you're no longer saying "they have to give their stuff to us," you're saying "we have to give our stuff to them."

Not only do people not want to give their stuff away, they also don't want to acknowledge an ideology that moves them from being the good guys recieving stuff to the bad guys hording stuff.

E: Then the weird post-hoc justification begins.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Regarde Aduck posted:

i just wish we had some information either way on whether the other foot is dropping and the indian variant is going to gently caress everything up, or if this is just a hiccup

the media wants me to be terrified at all times because its good for business, I realise this and yet I cannot deny this is making me anxious.
Basically, we don't know, it might set us back or it might not, and Johnson isn't prepared to take any preventative action until we know for sure (i.e. it has already hosed poo poo up). Probably a good idea to stay home slightly more than usual for a few weeks imo, especially if you're in one of the affected areas*

*notable omission from Johnson's thing: what even is a london? You can pretty much tell he's just not prepared to impose any new measures from how he didn't say the word "London" once despite it having the most cases of the Indian variant by a fair margin

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Just for once I'm very, very slightly sympathetic with him. The problem is it *looks like* the Indian variant is both more contagious than the Kent variant but also stopped - or at least heavily mitigated - by all three vaccines, so trying to out-race the variant by pushing out the vaccines even faster is the right thing to do. However neither of those are actually confirmed yet - if it turns out that actually the Indian variant is less transmissible, or as transmissible, as Kent then we're cool and it was all a storm in a tea cup. However if it turns out that in fact it can slip past the vaccines then we *have* to go back into lockdown. The problem is he can't just not say anything, so you do end up with this kind of wishy-washy poo poo.

Having said that any sympathy whatsoever I might have for him instantly evaporates when I remember the reason the Indian variant has managed to get a foothold into the country is he deliberately ignored the advice to red-list India so as not to disturb trade talks, and also of course that the quarantine and TTI measures are still loving pointless.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 14, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also bear in mind that Johnson allegedly said he would rather see bodies piled high than do another Lockdown, and you would be right to have some doubts about the current course of action. He might be doing the correct thing, but he's hardly a neutral actor willing to fairly weigh up the pros and cons of both sides.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Now look 'ere constable, dis is wot we in da Ferapist Squad call CBT, wot is a very complicated an' effective way to prevent soo-side-al-ty in a scumbag.

*starts bludgeoning victim in the nuts with a truncheon while yelling NOW DON'T DO IT AGAIN*

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
GET ON THE FLOH :mad: :cop:

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao

Can't say I didn't ask for it, but it is horrifying

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

They have a SIM pilot team in my old trust, I wish I'd found out more about it when I was there but they had a very small number of patients so I only ever encountered them indirectly. I don't think it's an inherently bad idea in theory - there really is a small subset of people with severe personality disorders who take up a disproportionate amount of mental health, GP and emergency service time and who would clearly benefit from individualised case working and care coordination. Involving the police in planning should theoretically be a protective measure - these patients are going to be encountering the police frequently anyway so you might as well try to reduce the risk of them coming to harm in the process. (It's a similar principle to the Fixated Threat Assessment Centre - keeping the police in the loop about people who think they have a divine mission to break into Buckingham Palace should hopefully reduce the risk of those people getting shot.)

Unfortunately if that presentation linked by the blog is representative it looks like the project is aimed at reducing costs and service use first and patient experience a distant second - I didn't see any outcomes that actually tell you whether it's actually helping people or not (apart from length of hospital stay, which is arguable either way). Plus getting the police involved always runs the risk of letting MH services indulge their vindictive side.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: stupid post, sorry, can I get a comedy sixer? Thanks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Someone please tweet this at Adonis

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't do the tweets but :sickos:

e: honestly this needs to go on literally every tweet he mentions blair in

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 14, 2021

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DarkCrawler posted:

I'd love to help out our British friends in their time of need (vaccinated, love London) but I fear I'm going to be tossed into whatever the British equivalent of Guantanamo Bay is at the moment:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/14/hostile-uk-border-regime-traumatises-visitors-from-eu

As usual the UK continues to do things in the worst possible way. Most places either just herd you off to get on literally the next flight back home with a seat, or will say "You're forbidden from working but we will allow you to enter the country for a few days because we understand you've got a lot of plans that will need to be changed, you're staying with family and at a known address, and you have a purpose here in a familial visit outside of the work you were intending to do. Please ensure you're out of the country by X date." And indeed it looks like we do exactly that with some people but not others? Seems like the sensible thing to do would be to go to Arrivals, collect the person there to meet the passenger, and bring them back to the office to have a chat and figure things out. As with so much else you can be reasonable and meet people halfway, leading to a productive outcome, or you can be a fashy oval office, leading to everyone being angry and hostile, and the UK chooses fashy. Very similar to the coppers "Solve mental health crises by beating the poo poo out of people what have mental health problems" option!

Dabir posted:

Now look 'ere constable, dis is wot we in da Ferapist Squad call CBT, wot is a very complicated an' effective way to prevent soo-side-al-ty in a scumbag.

*starts bludgeoning victim in the nuts with a truncheon while yelling NOW DON'T DO IT AGAIN*

Only problem here is I would be entirely tempted to do it again so I could get another CBT session :shobon:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ms Adequate posted:

Most places either just herd you off to get on literally the next flight back home with a seat
Or just shipping you off to Yarl's Wood :eng101:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

jesus christ that is loving horrifying

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I am loving terrified at the mere thought that Blair could return, even if its unlikely.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

I just cannot believe they are willing to let people back inside on Monday, I manage a pub in Shoreditch and its already a nightmare keeping people separated and yet with all the science they did with airflow etc they are still going to inflame this for such a small gain

Just keep people outside till June sheesh

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yes they really seem to be banking on the vaccine rollout preventing another wave while also apparently forgetting that the primary clientele of pubs are younger people who haven't been offered it yet unless they've got broken insides like me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Guys the pubs are opening GOON MEET I KNOW A PUB IN SHOREDITCH :gooncamp:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes they really seem to be banking on the vaccine rollout preventing another wave while also apparently forgetting that the primary clientele of pubs are younger people who haven't been offered it yet unless they've got broken insides like me

They're banking on those younger people not dying or being hospitalized and just being mildly ill for a while with largely unknown long term respiratory damage.

If cases skyrocket but hospitalizations and deaths stay put they'll stay on course because it doesn't matter to them.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

stev posted:

They're banking on those younger people not dying or being hospitalized and just being mildly ill for a while with largely unknown long term respiratory damage.

If cases skyrocket but hospitalizations and deaths stay put they'll stay on course because it doesn't matter to them.

"Cough your lungs out to help out" would be pretty much on-message with most of the Covid response. I'm still convinced the early pre-lockdown herd immunity push was due to some of the more sociopathic government advisors thinking we could speedrun the infection through the entire population in six weeks back in march 2020 in order to reopen early and get the drop on the Eu economically.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1393318059193114625

Pity about Twitters lovely cropping

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's perfect cropping assuming it makes him/his sincere followers curious enough to click for big.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Guys the pubs are opening GOON MEET I KNOW A PUB IN SHOREDITCH :gooncamp:

A good rule of thumb is to never drink in Shoreditch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Owl posted:

Dinerama was good :(

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Camrath posted:

New fudge alert!

I’ve now done a restock of Vanilla, Salted Caramel and Lemon Meringue Pie, and added several new or returning flavours from last year!

New arrivals are:
Whisky and Candied Ginger
White Chocolate and Raspberry
Vegan Biscoff

All available at https://www.fudjit.co.uk now!

As always, use the goon code ‘roastbeefisbest’ to get five-for-four!

All fudge is sold in slabs of approx 100g at £3.50 per, plus postage.

And as an additional note, I just dropped off a large shipment at my first retail stockist ever. So if you happen to be in northern Shropshire you may well see my goodies on shelves next week :D

Dangit space out your delicious fudge releases, I still have 4 packets to work through before I can think about buying more and the new hotness will be gone by then! :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Owl posted:

Some of my favourite pubs are around Shoreditch. The real trick, as with any area, is to avoid any pub that someone with a haircut says is good.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

So much government policy, both in Blair's Labour & the Conservatives is to kick the can down the road so the next guys have to deal with it, by which time the bastards responsible have all hosed off to nice comfortable consultancies and board positions.

So unless the unvaccinated young are literally collapsing in the street, any long term health issues are not going to be considered a factor by Johnson at all.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm staying the gently caress inside with the hot tub and the bar I built over lockdown until Christmas.
Sheff goons are welcome to visit my back garden and I will provide you pizza and /or booze.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some of my favourite pubs are around Shoreditch. The real trick, as with any area, is to avoid any pub that someone with a haircut says is good.

"I only drink in Sikh pubs" is pretty hipster, even by Shoreditch standards

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

Also bear in mind that Johnson allegedly said he would rather see bodies piled high than do another Lockdown

I like how "bodies piled high" is so consistent with Johnson's persona that it's irrelevant whether he actually said it. He's going to be remembered for it like Marie Antoinette is remembered for saying "let them eat cake".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I get all my Shoreditch information from Nathan Barley.
Total Mexico.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/milkgapes/status/1393349132383891458
https://twitter.com/milkgapes/status/1393349590573854723

Now I know that politician's private lives should be private, but still... lol

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

In Tony Blair news: https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1393256544251244544

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Are you going to make sure of that, Tony?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Risking was strongly rumoured to have been considering funding CUKTIG, whether or not she actually did.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dangit space out your delicious fudge releases, I still have 4 packets to work through before I can think about buying more and the new hotness will be gone by then! :argh:

Ah, but there’ll be more new hotness then! I’m building up stock levels atm hence the frequency of releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Has anyone in Labour even expressed disapproval of Rowling? It's such a complete non-story even if it happened, and I don't think it did.