Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1393313569148637186?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i wish i thought that bar was going to move a lot more than it is between now and then

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

Bill Maher getting COVID rules after he tried to downplay it and cried about sensationalization

Eat poo poo you gently caress

But the point of my post was that these "getting covid" cases are asymptomatic and don't even have enough virus for sequencing :eng99:

Bill Maher may have tested positive for SARS Covid-2 but he didn't really get covid 19. He's vaccinated and isn't feeling a thing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Green Nail Polish posted:

But the point of my post was that these "getting covid" cases are asymptomatic and don't even have enough virus for sequencing :eng99:

Bill Maher may have tested positive for SARS Covid-2 but he didn't really get covid 19. He's vaccinated and isn't feeling a thing.
You're confusing a tweet about the general case with what's actually happened to specific individuals. You are wrong that all of the yankees breakthrough cases are asymptomatic. One of the 8 had symptoms as of last night.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I've gone 25 days after Pfzier shot 2 without any alcohol, Tylenol, weed, or any chemicals other then my inhaler, caffeine and creatine to maximize my immune response. Can I safely get trashed now??

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I mean if push comes to shove just say you're not vaxxed and need to continue wearing a mask. I doubt they'll outright ban wearing them at this point.

Yeah the only place I can see having a problem with them is like banks or something. I think even years from now it will be kinda normal to see some people wearing masks during flu season.

For what it's worth because of my ridiculous work schedule I used to get sick every two months or so (usually a sore throat and cough). Also, my very young kids used to get sick about once a month. Since covid, my kids and I have gotten sick a total of zero times. Zero.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Big Bizness posted:

I've gone 25 days after Pfzier shot 2 without any alcohol, Tylenol, weed, or any chemicals other then my inhaler, caffeine and creatine to maximize my immune response. Can I safely get trashed now??

i'm afraid you can only safely do horse and then only by slamming it because you don't want to risk mixing it with tobacco

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Big Bizness posted:

Absolutely.

Oh I'm not a doctor

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also I brought my kids to the park today and they were the only ones with masks. Out of about 10 kids and four adults. This got me assuming everyone was saying gently caress it to the masks but like an hour later I went food shopping and not a single person didn't have a mask on so my neighborhood is a land of contrasts.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Big Bizness posted:

Why did you even do that

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Also I brought my kids to the park today and they were the only ones with masks. Out of about 10 kids and four adults. This got me assuming everyone was saying gently caress it to the masks but like an hour later I went food shopping and not a single person didn't have a mask on so my neighborhood is a land of contrasts.

Grocery stores are still requiring masks and the park is outside so that kinda makes sense?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Play posted:

Why did you even do that

I saw a few articles cautioning alcohol use around your shots, same with pain meds because of interference with your immune system's response to the vaccine, it was also a nice little break for my brain and overall energy level . I'm not a heavy substance user by any means but I wanted to try continuous sobriety for an extended period of time, just to see how it would feel. The answer = days go by a lot faster and feel a bit more monotonous without the occasional break from sobriety.

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015
Been fully vaccinated for 2 months now. Pfizer variant. No soreness, no sickness whatsoever on the first, second gave me the chills and made me tired about 24h later.

I feel like its waaaaay too early to hear the CDC basically announce that we don't need masks anymore...

These loving people. Just wear a loving mask. Its not hard. Its barely an inconvenience.

Or go fill up some more garbage bags with gas and drive home while chain smoking your loving Tarritons or whatever cheap rear end smokes you buy down at old man mcgillicudies.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Well, a few days after announcing that the mask mandate would be lifted when we hit 70% of adults vaxxed, the CDC helpfully provided Larry "I'm going to run for President as an Anti-Trumper wait why are you all walking away" Hogan the cover he needed to ditch masks in Maryland starting tomorrow :confuoot:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

Grocery stores are still requiring masks and the park is outside so that kinda makes sense?

It does but I was 100% I was gonna see a few assholes not wearing masks indoors. Was pleasantly surprised.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bizness posted:

I drank the night before, and the night of both shots.

I haven't heard anything about counterindications besides ibuprofen in super rare cases.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nobody reputable ever recommended anything besides not taking pain/fever medication before the shot. Dunno where these random articles came from saying not to sniff candles or eat jerky.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my doctor told me to eat a Arby's Double Beef ‘n Cheddar™️, which features double the amount of tender roast beef as Arby's Beef 'n Cheddar Classic™️, and I haven't had any side effects

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Aardvark! posted:

my doctor told me to eat a Arby's Double Beef ‘n Cheddar™️, which features double the amount of tender roast beef as Arby's Beef 'n Cheddar Classic™️, and I haven't had any side effects

are u sayin u got NO meat-sweats and NO gas? thats incredible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Meanwhile, in professional sports (one of the last places where everyone is still being regularly tested)
https://twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/1392951287847792644

Were they fully vaccinated [Lionel Hutz shaking head] or fully vaccinated [Lionel Hutz nodding]?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
God help us if there starts to be an uptick in cases after the CDCs idiotic decision today because there's no way they are going to reverse the decision and even if they did the cats out of the bag people won't be putting their masks back on.

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020

Salt Fish posted:

You're confusing a tweet about the general case with what's actually happened to specific individuals. You are wrong that all of the yankees breakthrough cases are asymptomatic. One of the 8 had symptoms as of last night.

I'm really not confusing anything at all.

These "breakthrough" cases are exactly what you'd expect to happen with the vaccine: the majority are asymptomatic and do not possess high enough viral loads to transmit the virus. It is not surprising that one of the cases has symptoms, but I'll bet my life that they aren't severe.

What exactly is your point? If you're trying to suggest the vaccines don't work because of the Yankees cases, I think it's just flat out wrong. We already know the vaccines prevent the overwhelming majority of hospitalizations and deaths.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm reading the historical cooking thread in GWS and someone posted a gallery of WWII propaganda regarding food rationing.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vdd0CQC

Example:

And chuds loving said they were being patriotic buy NOT doing something for their country. Pieces of poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay but what you typed was that these cases are all asymptomatic. What happened was that some of them are symptomatic.

Eliminating all public health measures to Open Biden is disgustingly irresponsible in an environment where we're breeding a new variant every month and it was a decision made for economic reasons with only the thinnest veneer of scientific reasoning. Its a fragile policy that has the potential to backfire spectacularly and if you thought working retail was hell before this then lol you ain't seen nothing yet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm reading the historical cooking thread in GWS and someone posted a gallery of WWII propaganda regarding food rationing.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vdd0CQC

Example:

And chuds loving said they were being patriotic buy NOT doing something for their country. Pieces of poo poo.
one of those is an old SA photoshop

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Jigsaw posted:

Love the feeling of hoping that my state will keep indoor mask mandates until my jury duty in a week and a half. I’m concerned they’re going to get rid of the mandate and the courts won’t allow wearing one at that point for ~*reasons*~

I honestly don't have hope for most states. Washington has been one of the better states about protections in general but Inslee yesterday said they were going to lift the mask mandate, which shocked the hell out of me.

I did see that Mass and Hawaii are keeping theirs for now at least.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charliegrs posted:

God help us if there starts to be an uptick in cases after the CDCs idiotic decision today because there's no way they are going to reverse the decision and even if they did the cats out of the bag people won't be putting their masks back on.

CDC read some literature from nuclear hawks and this is their plan to “escalate to deescalate”.

Make conditions worse than ever by lifting all public health measures, and use those bad conditions to scare America straight.

I don’t seriously believe in the narrative I just laid out, but it makes more sense than all the water-carrying I hear about “CDC is doing this as a carrot for the unvaccinated! They must have had secret focus groups! Trust the science!”

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Looks like retailers such as costco are following the CDC and saying as long as you promise you're really vaccinated (nobody will question you and you don't have to prove it) you can go without masks now. I expect this will be the norm everywhere in the next month.

Which means since I can't get vaccinated effectively I'm basically going to be a prisoner in my own home for... years? Indefinitely? Until I finally get unlucky and get sick and die? COVID will never go away because we'll never hit herd immunity, but nobody will ever take it seriously again because 'just get vaccinated if you care so much' and the cases among unvaccinated people will stay just low and just high enough to keep it a never-ending threat for the immunocompromised.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

drat the media is really cool

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Looks like retailers such as costco are following the CDC and saying as long as you promise you're really vaccinated (nobody will question you and you don't have to prove it) you can go without masks now. I expect this will be the norm everywhere in the next month.

Which means since I can't get vaccinated effectively I'm basically going to be a prisoner in my own home for... years? Indefinitely? Until I finally get unlucky and get sick and die? COVID will never go away because we'll never hit herd immunity, but nobody will ever take it seriously again because 'just get vaccinated if you care so much' and the cases among unvaccinated people will stay just low and just high enough to keep it a never-ending threat for the immunocompromised.

https://www.amazon.com/PAPR-Respirator-System/s?k=PAPR+Respirator+System.

edit: Too be clear this was a joke you shouldn't have too just because there's too many selfish rear end in a top hat. Also probably shouldn't trust Amazon for a papr.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 15, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:cripes: We've posted almost 80,000 new cases in two days.

I'm glad it's down a little but that's still so many sick people.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah you're basically never going to be free from this because the second this thing lets up even a little bit, everyone freaks and floods forward and tries to push too hard for their old lives back. Maybe one day, but it won't be soon. I'm so sorry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm really not confusing anything at all.
Yeah you are. Specifically this part:

What exactly is your point? If you're trying to suggest the vaccines don't work because of the Yankees cases, I think it's just flat out wrong.

No one loving said that you idiot, you've badly misinterpreted the entire conversation and you're screaming at a strawman you invented

Also that Eric Topol guy you posted is full of poo poo, he hasn't seen the actual test results from the infected players so he's just making guesses

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 15, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The don’t take painkillers because your body reacting is how you become immune thing makes absolutely no sense when other people, who don’t get any reactions at all, are told reactions are not an indicator on how immune you are.

In conclusion I’m chugging codeine again after my second shot if I feel as terrible as I did after the first,

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Rescue Toaster posted:

My understanding is a half mask respirator which is like $50 will protect you.

Of course I'm not at all saying this is okay in slightest just that you don't need some thousand dollar thing to go to the store

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

No one loving said that you idiot, you've badly misinterpreted the entire conversation and you're screaming at a strawman you invented

Also that Eric Topol guy you posted is full of poo poo, he hasn't seen the actual test results from the infected players so he's just making guesses

Is he related to "the smoker's tooth polish?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNOdhOa5Fig

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also "The chance that [a breathrough patient] could spread covid is close to zero, yet to be documented" has some real "preliminary investigations found no clear evidence" energy

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I get that you and others are posting actual situations and info about a pandemic where our general ignorance, wether by us or our so-called leaders, has made the situation worse (and is still making thing worse, for that matter). And I get that with the vaccine, infections are still going to happen, even if it is a net positive. But it does feel like this thread can be ruthlessly pessimistic at times.

Don't get me wrong, ya'll do good work in the thread. I guess I am trying to decode how I feel about all this. I feel like I desperately want to believe that, on some level, no matter how small and slowly, things are getting better. Of course, there are A LOT of things where I wanted to believe that in the world in general, and eventually I came to the painful conclusion that "They aren't" for quite a few of them, so maybe COVID is a long line of that.

EDIT: Anyway, first day after the second dose. Was sleepy but was fine after a nap. Arm feels even more sore than the first dose.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 15, 2021

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
posters in here can definitely be overly pessimistic but it's the most balanced covid thread on the forums by a lot

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

learnincurve posted:

The don’t take painkillers because your body reacting is how you become immune thing makes absolutely no sense when other people, who don’t get any reactions at all, are told reactions are not an indicator on how immune you are.

In conclusion I’m chugging codeine again after my second shot if I feel as terrible as I did after the first,

Glad i never heard of that poo poo until now when i've already been taking painkillers since my shot. it would just panic me. The info sheet from pfizer they gave us suggested that we do so!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

learnincurve posted:

The advice was specifically for NSAID's, Ibuprofen and Aspirin being the ones people are likely have on hand. It's theoretically possible that suppressing inflammation will reduce the effectiveness of the immune response to the vaccine. Paracetamol or whatever is gonna be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gone Fashing posted:

posters in here can definitely be overly pessimistic but it's the most balanced covid thread on the forums by a lot