Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what is the mayonnaise theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

banned from Starbucks posted:

what is the mayonnaise theory?

Schirripa noticed mayonnaise is used or referenced a few times and, presumably to mock some crazy fan theories that Imperioli kept bringing up on the podcast, insisted there must be something to that. Imperioli would keep saying there wasn't, and Schirripa went so far as to ask David Chase about it who basically went,"....what?" :allears:

Edit: Here's a live video reenactment of the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxT442bSG68&t=38s

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, is the mob in Naples run by Sicilians?

One of the Two Sicilies, anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Annabel Pee posted:

I think we're lucky Trump was never in the show, it seems like a thing him and them would be up for.

Which characters would vote for Trump? Basically all of them?

Meadow would be a Hillary deadender.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

I think we're lucky Trump was never in the show, it seems like a thing him and them would be up for.

Which characters would vote for Trump? Basically all of them?

I don't think any of the mobsters would actually vote, but they'd definitely support Trump, no question. Though I'd be interested in their attitudes towards Giuliani—all the guys getting out of jail in The Sopranos were probably put in there as part of Giuliani's push against the leadership of the Five Families. There was actually a vote on whether to put a hit on him, and while it failed, the Mafia is not a forgiving group, particularly when members of your crew are still in jail because of him. Though, I suspect a lot of those guys from the 80s are dead by 2016, so hating Giuliani might be more of an Old Mafiosi trait while the younger guys don't give a poo poo about anything but him supporting Trump.

So I think Tony would hate Giuliani, as would Paulie, Silvio, and most of the mobster cast (maybe someone like Johnny Sack would secretly admit that the ensuing shakeup of the Lupertazzis when Carmine's predecessor was convicted had been good business for him, personally), but by 2020, if they're still alive, those guys are more in the Uncle Junior position, dealing with younger mobsters who don't give a poo poo about things that happened in 2005 (cause they were in high school back then), much less 1985.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Didn't both Tony and Carmela vote for Bush? I could see them casting a ballot in 2016.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
dick cheney for president. of the fuckin universe

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pentyne posted:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...AAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

It starts around the 31 min mark.

Apparently James didn't even like doing interviews about the show. The whole thing was them filmed in character in his apartment, dressed like they did in the show, and they had a conversation about helping Lebron find a place to live in NY.

It's a pretty great bit, Gandolfini got super into the role, coming up with the idea to make it set that Tony is in witness protection, and got super involved in the production like it was a serious deal, wanted to end it a certain way etc.

The cast list for the whole video included

Robert Deniro
Harvey Weinstein
Donald Trump
Bloomberg
Rudy Giuliani
Reggie Jackson
Alec Baldwin

Apparently Trump was a huge piece of poo poo to everyone involved and made the entire shoot lighting set up so you couldn't see through his hair.

Who didn't get me tooed on that list?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bip Roberts posted:

Who didn't get me tooed on that list?

Gandolfini, Falco, DeNiro, Jackson, and maybe Baldwin.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
https://twitter.com/timeimmemorial_...agenumber%3D789

I enjoyed this.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Precambrian posted:

I don't think any of the mobsters would actually vote, but they'd definitely support Trump, no question. Though I'd be interested in their attitudes towards Giuliani—all the guys getting out of jail in The Sopranos were probably put in there as part of Giuliani's push against the leadership of the Five Families. There was actually a vote on whether to put a hit on him, and while it failed, the Mafia is not a forgiving group, particularly when members of your crew are still in jail because of him. Though, I suspect a lot of those guys from the 80s are dead by 2016, so hating Giuliani might be more of an Old Mafiosi trait while the younger guys don't give a poo poo about anything but him supporting Trump.

So I think Tony would hate Giuliani, as would Paulie, Silvio, and most of the mobster cast (maybe someone like Johnny Sack would secretly admit that the ensuing shakeup of the Lupertazzis when Carmine's predecessor was convicted had been good business for him, personally), but by 2020, if they're still alive, those guys are more in the Uncle Junior position, dealing with younger mobsters who don't give a poo poo about things that happened in 2005 (cause they were in high school back then), much less 1985.

There's a bit in i think season 4 where they explicitly praise Giuliani. This was right after 9/11 of course, and the dude is Italian, and these are NEW JERSEY mobsters after all.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Wasn't that Melfi's dinner friends or something, talking about Giuliani as an example of a Good Italian vs. the Bad Italians in the mob?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Flesnolk posted:

Wasn't that Melfi's dinner friends or something, talking about Giuliani as an example of a Good Italian vs. the Bad Italians in the mob?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvVOnYu05Pc

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

feedmegin posted:

There's a bit in i think season 4 where they explicitly praise Giuliani. This was right after 9/11 of course, and the dude is Italian, and these are NEW JERSEY mobsters after all.

Ah, I don't remember the mobsters praising Giuliani. The Melfi/Carmela world of "respectable Italian Americans," of course, loved him for being "the good one" who's against the Mafia, but the mob held more of a grudge.

There's a bit in Selwyn Raab's history of the Five Families, in the epilogue, where he talks about the modern Mafia and how they were stealing scrap metal from Ground Zero, which feels like such a Sopranos scene. Tony and Paulie talking about how the world changed on 9/11, how tragic it was... then flipping out that Johnny Sack's shortchanging then on the Ground Zero theft. Sort of like the scene where Tony bitches about how unsecured the ports are from terrorists right before talking about his smuggling operation, but even more on the nose.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this show keeps targeting me.

https://twitter.com/sopranoscaps/status/1392548871918690304?s=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
No Fuckin Ziti podcast had a good question about Feech.

Do you think he ever figured out that Tony set him up with the stolen TV's and if so when did he figure it out? I never gave it much thought and figured Feech just assumed he caught an unlucky surprise visit but you can also read his expression on the way back to the can as a moment of realization. NFZ is arguing that he possible put it together right when the Probation Officer asks to see the garage.

Listening to these podcasts get up to Season 5 and it only reaffirms my opinion that Tony B is a forced fit. Feech and Ralph work as new characters because they're not close to Tony and there's no emotional connection there driving the plot but Buscemi still remains a hard sell for me overall even though he was really good on the show. If Tony B's impact on Tony Soprano's psyche wasn't so heavy, I think it would go down easier for me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1392600016926167042

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

No Fuckin Ziti podcast had a good question about Feech.

Do you think he ever figured out that Tony set him up with the stolen TV's and if so when did he figure it out? I never gave it much thought and figured Feech just assumed he caught an unlucky surprise visit but you can also read his expression on the way back to the can as a moment of realization. NFZ is arguing that he possible put it together right when the Probation Officer asks to see the garage.

I always had that read; he knows he's getting railroaded the second it happens. You can judge for yourself, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXNruvfuq4

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Also agree on Buscemi as Tony B. He did a good job but was like one level too big a name to be an integral character on the show even just for the one season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gandolfini and Buscemi on-screen together is really cool for sure, but I do legitimately prefer most of the scenes where he's hanging out with the other guys: playing poker, getting poo poo-talked by Paulie, hanging out with Christopher, giving the guys at Satriale's a massage etc. He does seem like a character who might have fit in really nicely as just another guy in or hanging around with the crew, but that relationship with Tony makes that basically impossible. Which, to be fair, might have been the point Chase was going for in the first place. It's just nice to think about what might have been.

That said, probably my favorite scene between the two Tonys is when Tony B is still fresh out of jail and Tony starts looming over him doing his,"I'm the loving Boss!" thing, and Buscemi quietly says,"You're crowding me..." in a way that kind of intimates at the level of violence and danger he was capable of in his youth and might still be capable of given the right set of circumstances.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Love Tony B. but hate the execution. It felt like they were trying hard just to get the plane in the air. Maybe that's why they threw in the stuff with Chris, Tony and Tony being the Three Amigos (funny poo poo). I did recently watch the one where Tony B. and Chris were digging up the skeletons, it's one of those rare moments where I feel bad for Christopher. He really is the omega wolf, no matter what.

Also :agreed: "you're crowding me" is probably Buscemi's best line/delivery.

I had a small q for the thread: does it seem to anyone else that even though music is used often and to great effect, that more often than not it has a source? Like if they're in a scene beating someone's rear end to Deep Purple it has to cut away to a jukebox or something. As though they can't have disembodied music hovering around for no reason? Just an idle thought when you compare it to shows/movies that have musical scores.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://youtu.be/wl71iW5Vcs0

I'm never going to be able to un-hear this.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

phasmid posted:

Also :agreed: "you're crowding me" is probably Buscemi's best line/delivery.

"How many people you gotta jerk off on the massage chair to get that kind of cash?

"I don't know, how much do you charge without the chair?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Gandolfini and Buscemi on-screen together is really cool for sure, but I do legitimately prefer most of the scenes where he's hanging out with the other guys: playing poker, getting poo poo-talked by Paulie, hanging out with Christopher, giving the guys at Satriale's a massage etc. He does seem like a character who might have fit in really nicely as just another guy in or hanging around with the crew, but that relationship with Tony makes that basically impossible. Which, to be fair, might have been the point Chase was going for in the first place. It's just nice to think about what might have been.

That said, probably my favorite scene between the two Tonys is when Tony B is still fresh out of jail and Tony starts looming over him doing his,"I'm the loving Boss!" thing, and Buscemi quietly says,"You're crowding me..." in a way that kind of intimates at the level of violence and danger he was capable of in his youth and might still be capable of given the right set of circumstances.

"put me in, coach"

That reads on so many levels, as a mocking "ok, you're the ~boss~", a dig at Tony's failed HS sports career, open condescension for the way Tony tries to control his people, etc.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

phasmid posted:

I had a small q for the thread: does it seem to anyone else that even though music is used often and to great effect, that more often than not it has a source? Like if they're in a scene beating someone's rear end to Deep Purple it has to cut away to a jukebox or something. As though they can't have disembodied music hovering around for no reason? Just an idle thought when you compare it to shows/movies that have musical scores.

What about chickentown? And I believe it was discussed here whether the strippers were dancing to Living on a Thin Line (unlikely) or it was just a backing track. Two of the best uses imo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the Tony B stuff works on a metaphorical level. Everyone has so far forgotten him that he isn't mentioned, then he hits parole and suddenly It's supposed to be just like back in the day. Blundetto clearly didn't feel that way. I don't know if it works in a showise way, but I personally have less a problem with it than many

codo27 posted:

What about chickentown? And I believe it was discussed here whether the strippers were dancing to Living on a Thin Line (unlikely) or it was just a backing track. Two of the best uses imo
Chicekntown sucks so hard as a song, and yet works so well in that scene. I don't know how Chase did it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

phasmid posted:

I never actually thought about it and don't really see why that distinction makes a difference. If anything, to me it kinds of add to the scene to have it coming from a source and kind of adds another layer to the details of a scene. Tarantino is a master of the sort of thing I'm describing.

Then you have the opposite end with Scorcese playing the Rolling Stones OVER a scene, which works just as well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The word for it is Diagetic if you're lookin' for more examples

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Outside of the end of season montages, I believe The Wire made a point of the music ALWAYS being diagetic. This is really used to fantastic effect a lot of times, one that really stands out is Herc (an absolute idiot cop) blasting the Shaft theme during a chase, except while it sounds like a film soundtrack INSIDE the car (and thus, in Herc's head) you get these constant cuts to outside the car/far away which immediately makes it stand out as some middle-aged white bald dude playing tinny music on a lovely police-issue car's crappier stereo, and really highlights the difference between the image he has of himself in his head and how he appears to everybody else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fAwOkUFbg

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of the end of season montages, I believe The Wire made a point of the music ALWAYS being diagetic. This is really used to fantastic effect a lot of times, one that really stands out is Herc (an absolute idiot cop) blasting the Shaft theme during a chase, except while it sounds like a film soundtrack INSIDE the car (and thus, in Herc's head) you get these constant cuts to outside the car/far away which immediately makes it stand out as some middle-aged white bald dude playing tinny music on a lovely police-issue car's crappier stereo, and really highlights the difference between the image he has of himself in his head and how he appears to everybody else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fAwOkUFbg

With the exception of that one weird slow-motion walk scene in season one that they never did anything like again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the Tony B stuff works on a metaphorical level. Everyone has so far forgotten him that he isn't mentioned, then he hits parole and suddenly It's supposed to be just like back in the day. Blundetto clearly didn't feel that way. I don't know if it works in a showise way, but I personally have less a problem with it than many

If Tony B had been played by a less well-known actor I can almost guarantee nobody would care. It’s a mixture of the sudden appearance AND it being Buscemi that seems to bother people. I never had any kind of issue with it, I completely buy that they basically treat people like they’re dead when they’re in prison. They did the same thing with Pauline just one season previously.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think I posted this before, but my only issue with Blundetto is that his turn from working straight to wanting the mob life again was a bit rushed. even just one more episode might’ve fleshed it out in a more satisfying way

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I must be one of the few who had zero problems with Tony B and it is one of my favorite storylines.

I only felt the suspension of disbelief when Janice said he "used to be a fox" in his youth. It's Steve Buscemi. I love the man, but come on Janice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

If Tony B had been played by a less well-known actor I can almost guarantee nobody would care. It’s a mixture of the sudden appearance AND it being Buscemi that seems to bother people. I never had any kind of issue with it, I completely buy that they basically treat people like they’re dead when they’re in prison. They did the same thing with Pauline just one season previously.

I think you're on to something here and you raise some good points.

Buscemi is kind of a B-list guy but he has a bit of a big presence in the way that Joey Pants or Ralph Loggia don't to where knowing who he is kind of takes you out of it a little bit. His sudden appearance reminds me somewhat of a few sitcoms and TV dramas I've seen (but can't seem to remember) and, for me, it's kind of like if Spike Lee or Brian Cranston were suddenly introduced in The Wire or something and the closest the Sopranos ever got to stunt casting. Julianna Margulies brushed up on this a little bit.

DarkCrawler posted:

I must be one of the few who had zero problems with Tony B and it is one of my favorite storylines.

I only felt the suspension of disbelief when Janice said he "used to be a fox" in his youth. It's Steve Buscemi. I love the man, but come on Janice.

Overall I was fine with it and thought Buscemi was fantastic on the show, so don't get me wrong. Just bothered by the forced emotional bond between the Two Tony's that we're really never shown that, for me, didn't come off as earned somehow.

Also, have you paid any attention to Janice's taste in men? Her calling Tony B a "fox" only means that he used to be a player in the family that made some money who might also do so in the future. Richie, Ralph and Bobby are hardly what anyone would consider head turners even on a good day, never even mind the narcoleptic Jesus guy who's heard the good news.

Funny story: I had a Sopranos sex dream once and it wasn't Meadow, Ade, Gloria, Valentina, Julliana Skiff or Irina starring in it. It was loving Janice.

I'm a broken man.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Buscemi also has a wife and children irl. Sure, it could’ve been him being rich for all I know, but it makes it not wholly unbelievable

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I mean, I have a wife and I’m not a fox, he could be funny or something

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
And it’s not like there’s anyone significantly better looking in the show

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Flesnolk posted:

And it’s not like there’s anyone significantly better looking in the show

How dare you insult Furio like this.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Vanderdeath posted:

How dare you insult Furio like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Overall I was fine with it and thought Buscemi was fantastic on the show, so don't get me wrong. Just bothered by the forced emotional bond between the Two Tony's that we're really never shown that, for me, didn't come off as earned somehow.

On the flip side, I kind of love that Ralphie for instance claims a connection with Tony's early days crew that really isn't evident at all in their interactions, and that actually works because it either means:

A: Ralphie is completely full of poo poo and wildly overstating his relevance/personal connection.
B: They were tight but Tony discarded Ralphie without a second thought the moment it benefited him.

Both seem completely believable/likely, or even a combination of the two. There's probably some degree of truth to Ralphie's claim, but it has been overinflated in his own mind over time, and even if he was on a level with Silvio (certainly not Jackie) back in those days.... those days are long behind.