Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Funnily enough the CEO is a complete shitbag too, he just had a single lightbulb moment that if his employees are paid not only will the company work better but people will worship him

I see all the time people reading things like Business Insider talking about how he's a visionary but somehow the brains are so capitalism poisoned that they can recognize increasing wages is good but be pathologically unable to execute it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

But increasing wages makes the bad number go up. Surely decreasing them and the bad number must be better.

I appreciated my neighbour who finally got a (pharma) job after being unemployed for a year, and she asked for a reasonable wage, to which they said "nah, that won't work, you guys take ten percent more or you're gone in a year and that's bad for us." Absolutely true as well, but very strange to us office drones.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Capitalism makes a lot more sense when you realize that the end goal isn't about money. The end goal is about power.

That is why the rich people who has more money than they can spend in a lifetime doesn't stop working.

That why no matter how many studies or real world examples show that treating workers like humans increases productivity, companies still won't do it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Funnily enough the CEO is a complete shitbag too, he just had a single lightbulb moment that if his employees are paid not only will the company work better but people will worship him

I see all the time people reading things like Business Insider talking about how he's a visionary but somehow the brains are so capitalism poisoned that they can recognize increasing wages is good but be pathologically unable to execute it

The dude took a pay cut in order to pay his employees more. He could have dozens of children's bodies in his basement, and still be head-and-shoulders above pretty much every other CEO in America.

Hundreds of bodies would relegate him to just the top 10%.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duz posted:

still love that their it guy quit in a huff because now the secretary was making as much as him

back in 1979 when we extended paid vacation from 4 to 5 weeks, my grandpa (a nobody bank manager) was super into it until he realized that his subordinates would also get more vacation time. according to my dad, he said "it's only worth it if the others dont get it". he would have been happier if nobody got more vacation time

its a strange mindset

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shwqa posted:

Capitalism makes a lot more sense when you realize that the end goal isn't about money. The end goal is about power.

That is why the rich people who has more money than they can spend in a lifetime doesn't stop working.

That why no matter how many studies or real world examples show that treating workers like humans increases productivity, companies still won't do it.

money is power

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Money is the West's version of China's social credit score

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

starkebn posted:

No that's just regular credit score

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

starkebn posted:

please elaborate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

money is score keeping in power dynamics

the power dynamics preexist money

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://youtu.be/25sSLBvk_M8

It’s insane how much Mr. Show nailed it w this.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

money is score keeping in power dynamics

the power dynamics preexist money

before money existed, grain was power

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
conservatives: capitalism will lift the masses out of poverty as employers compete for workers by offering better wages and working conditions

also conservatives: WHY DON'T YOU PLEBES WANT TO WORK FOR $7.25 AN HOUR???

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

indigi posted:

please elaborate

Obviously the more money you have is because you're doing better thing for society than anybody else. The more money you have, the less likely the law will treat you harshly. The more you can skirt restrictions others have to observe. The more you can get the government to listen to your ideas.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://youtu.be/25sSLBvk_M8

It’s insane how much Mr. Show nailed it w this.

just because of your phrasing i thought it'd be the taint sketch lol

:nws: https://youtu.be/DcotYF3aNVM

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the font of all money is the government - which is a ideological monopoly on wealth distribution

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

back in 1979 when we extended paid vacation from 4 to 5 weeks, my grandpa (a nobody bank manager) was super into it until he realized that his subordinates would also get more vacation time. according to my dad, he said "it's only worth it if the others dont get it". he would have been happier if nobody got more vacation time

its a strange mindset

quote:

When we raise the bottom, this thinking goes, it gets harder to move to the top. This is our culture of ‘getting ahead’ talking.

This is the thinking that, “First class isn’t better because of the seats, it’s better because it’s not coach.” (Several airlines have tried to launch all-first-class seating, and all of them have stumbled.)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Because of that poo poo, I had a mega-broke co-worker oppose a minimum wage increase.

We were gas station cashiers. He was a '2.0 and good to go' type. Graduated from college then just went full-time. He'd regularly take expired food home and walk to/from work (2+ hours).

Minimum-wage was $8/hr-- below CoL.

The hubbub was maybe raising it to $9/hr.

He was vehemently opposed.

You see, he made $8.50/hr. New hires made $8/hr. He wanted to stay above parity with new hires.

Painfully broke. Advocating for his own impoverishment. All because he did not want to lose relative standing.

Blew my loving mind.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Len posted:

...I just listened to a 10 minute rant about how the government is to blame for staffing issues and they need to stop paying people so much to be unemployed. And I just can't with these people

We've had social welfare programs in Australia for some time but several were adjusted because of covid (essentially re-brands of existing programs) called 'Job Seeker' and 'Job Keeper'.

Job Seeker was for unemployed people. It increased the welfare rate to an above-poverty level, and people were able to live for a while without needing a minimum wage casual job or some kind of charitable community support. It was very beneficial information because welfare stats show that a good majority of recipients were mostly women aged 50+, living in regional areas where there is already very little employment. This demographic was unlikely to be hired over younger people, because younger people could be convinced to accept less pay e.g if it was their first job or an entry level position. It showed that increasing welfare by a fairly small amount meant that anyone could enjoy what is considered 'a minimum standard of life' without depending on employment, and reinforced that some employers considered certain people 'unemployable' regardless of their experience (i.e they cannot be taken advantage of as easily).

Another issue with Job Seeker was that some employers continued paying less money than what this program offered, and it kicked off the whole 'No one around here wants to work' and 'Unemployed people just want to sit at home and get free money' mentality, but it was targeted at indigenous teens from broken homes, or single parents with multiple children (some escaping domestic violence with no support), and not the majority demographic - always the people who couldn't stand up for themselves. Basically anyone who needed a lot of help and wasn't in a position to simply go and get a job was treated as a scab for making use of the system, simply because they were younger or 'back in my day things were hard' BS.

The next issue was Job Keeper, where employers applied to (IIRC) the tax office to receive money from the government. If they could demonstrate that their business experienced sufficient loss of income due to covid, they could get extra money to keep on paying their employees instead of letting them go, and keep their business open. Some businesses just kept the money and cut hours anyway, and some even adjusted documents to show a loss when they actually had a profit. In the worst of these cases some of the payment also went out to shareholders.

https://www.accountantsdaily.com.au/business/15397-harvey-norman-hangs-on-to-jobkeeper-as-profits-double

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-26/top-companies-pocketing-jobkeeper-new-analysis-finds/100030274

Accretionist posted:

Because of that poo poo, I had a mega-broke co-worker oppose a minimum wage increase.

We were gas station cashiers. He was a '2.0 and good to go' type. Graduated from college then just went full-time. He'd regularly take expired food home and walk to/from work (2+ hours).

Minimum-wage was $8/hr-- below CoL.

The hubbub was maybe raising it to $9/hr.

He was vehemently opposed.

You see, he made $8.50/hr. New hires made $8/hr. He wanted to stay above parity with new hires.

Painfully broke. Advocating for his own impoverishment. All because he did not want to lose relative standing.

Blew my loving mind.

This sounds like some kind of reverse-FOMO. Like a fear or paranoia of others having the same things, or the same opportunities as you.

All of these stories are so bizarre, "A holiday is only good if other people don't get to take it". Imagine spending your holiday obsessing in delight over the misery of other people who didn't get to go, instead of just enjoying the holiday.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 10:47 on May 14, 2021

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

All of these stories are so bizarre, "A holiday is only good if other people don't get to take it". Imagine spending your holiday obsessing in delight over the misery of other people who didn't get to go, instead of just enjoying the holiday.
"Wherefore in order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned."

Sounds heavenly, at least according to Aquinas.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I dunno that seems like cause for alarm to me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

This sounds like some kind of reverse-FOMO. Like a fear or paranoia of others having the same things, or the same opportunities as you.

A good half of all humanity is so hosed up by undiagnosed mental illness and severe lead poisoning that they would happily burn themselves alive if only they got to strike the match on their neighbors' pyre.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

duz posted:

still love that their it guy quit in a huff because now the secretary was making as much as him

Remember when the Google chef became a millionaire and Sand Hill Road pledged that it would never happen again?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I dunno that seems like cause for alarm to me.

i just remembered that breyer can't legally call a bunch of its poo poo ice cream anymore 'cause they've adulterated it so much

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TheMostFrench posted:

bucket crab mentality is a hell of a drug. always a race to the bottom as long as someone else has it worse.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

duz posted:

the secretary is worth more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Remember when the Google chef became a millionaire and Sand Hill Road pledged that it would never happen again?

Also how nobody mentions that the google chef was like a fancy-rear end top gourmet chef

Not that it would really affect whether or not he deserved to get money or anything but it's always framed as like "some dude who just made food got all this money from our programming work!" which is a bit like calling an NFL player some dude who just handles balls

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Biplane posted:

A good half of all humanity is so hosed up by undiagnosed mental illness and severe lead poisoning that they would happily burn themselves alive if only they got to strike the match on their neighbors' pyre.

Reminds me of a joke. A guy finds a magic lamp and a genie comes out. The genie explains that he will grant any wish to the man, but whatever he asks for the genie will give double to his neighbor. The man thinks about it for a bit, then says "I want you to take one of my eyes"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

Reminds me of a joke. A guy finds a magic lamp and a genie comes out. The genie explains that he will grant any wish to the man, but whatever he asks for the genie will give double to his neighbor. The man thinks about it for a bit, then says "I want you to take one of my eyes"

That feels less like a joke and more like a bible parable you'd only ever hear in evangelical megachurches

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A guy finds a demonic pagan genie bottle and wishes to be hung and stay up for days. His neighbor was noone else but Jesus :pray:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can understand if someone is wary about sick days and holidays because they don't want to get fired by their shithead boss, but being like that out of a sense of pride is some sick American poo poo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

Why would they be mad about that? They gave him a bunch of stock options, he used them.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Animal-Mother posted:

Why would they be mad about that? They gave him a bunch of stock options, he used them.

they despise to see blue collar proletarians use an exit that is supposed to be reserved for them

he's not indoctrinated in their bougie ideology, he's not a "cultural fit" for the upper crust

that's the real reason, nothing more

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

I don’t remember this, but it’s been a while. who on Sand Hill was upset about it? I can’t find anything.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Sand Hill Road sounds like a real rear end in a top hat

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

more than one, I assure you

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Len posted:

I think it's some sodium/acid combo? I could ask tomorrow but that would mean talking to her and I try not to do that

hey marj, my friends on the internet want to know what you take every day to stay so healthy and also what they need to say to not pay taxes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t remember this, but it’s been a while. who on Sand Hill was upset about it? I can’t find anything.

He made a shitload of money on stock options. Zynga execs cited “the Google chef scenario” as a reason to claw back options from their employees.

https://observer.com/2011/11/zyngas-stock-clawbacks-highlight-the-google-chef-and-the-startup-everyman/

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1393659454915104771

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

He made a shitload of money on stock options. Zynga execs cited “the Google chef scenario” as a reason to claw back options from their employees.

https://observer.com/2011/11/zyngas-stock-clawbacks-highlight-the-google-chef-and-the-startup-everyman/

Whoa the system worked the way it's advertised to once, can't let that happen again