Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The worst thing about astrology isn't that it's complete nonsense that fails to meet up to even the most minimal of scientific examination.

The worst thing about astrology is that it's a super problematic idea that makes judgements on people based on the circumstances of their birth. It's basically phrenology that uses the stars and birthdays instead of skull shape. It's no better than other race and ethnicity based pseudo-sciences and it's astonishing that so many progressive minded people are into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It really is bizarre how so many younger supposedly well-educated people are super into it. They always defend it because they're "not like those astrology people that read horoscopes", but it's all the same nonsense no matter how complicated you try to make it in an effort to lend legitimacy to it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the draw is that you can use astrology for self reflection by interpreting fortunes and looking at whatever goals or challenges you have in a different light. the i-ching seems to serve that purpose way better

the people who actually believe that it's magic or whatever are just uh, dummies

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
People desperately want to have there be some sort of meaning and purpose that they can find and interpret about the universe.

The I-ching, astrology, tarot reading etc. The attempt is to find some way of reconciling the huge amount of power we are "supposed" to have and the feeling of utter powerlessness that a lot of younger people feel.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're just games to exercise your mind

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't really mind it as long as they don't expect me to know my "signs" and/or want to talk about them, especially when they get all like "you went to school for 9 years for astronomy, how don't you know any of this stuff?" etc.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Folks who worship Norse deities and the like really weird me out. It’s just super odd to me to take a dead religion and try to make something that seems about right out of what we know about the old beliefs and practices

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Folks who worship Norse deities and the like really weird me out. It’s just super odd to me to take a dead religion and try to make something that seems about right out of what we know about the old beliefs and practices

How come? Religions shift and change so much that if you were to ask a Christian of the third century about any of the variety of Christians that exist now they would quite possibly be very confused. Nothing stays the same through time after all.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

How come? Religions shift and change so much that if you were to ask a Christian of the third century about any of the variety of Christians that exist now they would quite possibly be very confused. Nothing stays the same through time after all.

It’s the lack of continuity. It feels like they’re just making poo poo up and trying to claim that it’s the same thing as what people used to practice way back when. If they acknowledge that they’re making things up whole cloth then I have less of a problem, but every neo-Pagan I’ve encountered has claimed to have a religious tradition spanning back to before Christianity existed.

That and who looks at Odin and goes “ah hell yeah, gonna worship that guy!” Say what you will about the Abrahamic God at least He nominally has humanity’s best interest at heart, Odin’s just a selfish jerk

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

That and who looks at Odin and goes “ah hell yeah, gonna worship that guy!” Say what you will about the Abrahamic God at least He nominally has humanity’s best interest at heart, Odin’s just a selfish jerk

Most I've encountered have been on the more "yeah we don't have a direct link with the older set up" sort, so I suppose that might be why I see them a tad differently.

Thor has the title "friend of man" and doesn't ruin a mans life on a bet with a demon. For all the bad things you can, and should, say about Odin the entirety of the book of Job is a refutation of God as a loving entity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tbh I feel that way about Satanists, just seems like kids who never got passed the gently caress you dad/mom phase of their life.

Josef bugman posted:

Most I've encountered have been on the more "yeah we don't have a direct link with the older set up" sort I suppose.

Also, Thor is the friend of man and doesn't ruin a mans life on a bet with demons. For all the bad things you can, and should, say about Odin the entirety of the book of Job is a refutation of God as a loving entity.
That's a very uncharitable view of Job. I would highly recommend rethinking your approach to that work

Gaius Marius has a new favorite as of 00:48 on May 15, 2021

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Odin and the pantheon of Norse gods makes more sense than the Christian God. Family of jerks arguing, drinking and having fights vs an omnipotent all-loving god that doesn't do anything for reasons? I'm not religious, but if I were picking a religion, Christianity would get knocked out of the running a lot sooner than Odin worship.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

That's a very uncharitable view of Job. I would highly recommend rethinking your approach to that work

Unpopular opinion, The book of Job is one of the most nihilistic (as in power justifying itself through power) things ever written.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Master Twig posted:

The worst thing about astrology isn't that it's complete nonsense that fails to meet up to even the most minimal of scientific examination.

The worst thing about astrology is that it's a super problematic idea that makes judgements on people based on the circumstances of their birth. It's basically phrenology that uses the stars and birthdays instead of skull shape. It's no better than other race and ethnicity based pseudo-sciences and it's astonishing that so many progressive minded people are into it.

You’re right, but you can’t say it or people on Twitter will call you a misogynist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You ever read Fear and Trembling, Christian existentialism predates the Nietzschean concept of it and is infinitely more interesting. Although it and Either/Or can be some of the most depressing works of literature. Especially if you read Kierkegaards backstory.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

Most I've encountered have been on the more "yeah we don't have a direct link with the older set up" sort, so I suppose that might be why I see them a tad differently.

Thor has the title "friend of man" and doesn't ruin a mans life on a bet with a demon. For all the bad things you can, and should, say about Odin the entirety of the book of Job is a refutation of God as a loving entity.

I have thoughts on Job, but I think the most important thing is it’s more a meditation on the nature of divine justice than a definitive statement on the nature of God. Iirc, the Jewish tradition, especially the tradition of the that era, was more in communication with God and didn’t necessarily have God as the completely untouchable and always correct God that Christianity developed.

That and Satan in the book of Job isn’t a demon, he’s an angel known as “the accuser”, who plays an important role in testing creation. It’s a very different role than the Christian and Muslim ideas of the devil

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'll have to look these up. Thank you!

To me it makes the source of the universe into such a petty entity that I dearly wish Job had spat in His eye.

I do hope that if an angel destroys a persons life for no reason they'd be considered a demon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I was just gonna type that. Maybe instead of attacking people who are usually severely economically depressed you could explain why we could all be working towards a mutually beneficial future, and the people keeping them in regress are both of your enemies.

Or you could be a loving tool who hates people because of their faith like it's loving Bohemia in the 1420's

People also like to talk about the South in a way that elides the fact that it’s where most of the Black people in this country live. And the electoral system turns everything into a red state or a blue state, so if 53% of a state votes Republican (and a chunk of the remaining population suffers major voter suppression), the whole state must be irredeemable chuds!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to it by its proper name of the “Dirty South”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Master Twig posted:

No, astrology has some merit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

it doesn't

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

how so?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Typical Capricorn.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's real.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hadn't considered that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: Sorry this post was meant for the basketball thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Atheism absolutely is a valid position but I think a decent number of people embraced atheism because they were small-minded and had a very narrow view of the world. That's the internet atheism of the early 2000s flowed so easily into the altright. It was a movement of people who exalted "logic" but didn't see it as a method for discovering fundamental sublime truths of existence. Of course that ends up with Ben Shapiro saying facts don't care about your feelings. Hell, "ends up", it starts there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

hawowanlawow posted:

they're just games to exercise your mind

You are thinking of sudoku.

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s the lack of continuity. It feels like they’re just making poo poo up and trying to claim that it’s the same thing as what people used to practice way back when. If they acknowledge that they’re making things up whole cloth then I have less of a problem, but every neo-Pagan I’ve encountered has claimed to have a religious tradition spanning back to before Christianity existed.

I don't actually interact with neo-pagans IRL, sounds like a terrible time. However Odin is a lot more relatable than the all-powerful god. He had to do all kinds of poo poo to gain his powers, and had to deal with friends and relatives. That is much more relatable than god making Jesus just to have him tortured to death in some kind of bizarre bet with himself.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Also we live in a simulation so none of it is real, nihilism, etc.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

I don't actually interact with neo-pagans IRL, sounds like a terrible time. However Odin is a lot more relatable than the all-powerful god. He had to do all kinds of poo poo to gain his powers, and had to deal with friends and relatives. That is much more relatable than god making Jesus just to have him tortured to death in some kind of bizarre bet with himself.

I extremely don’t want a relatable deity, I want a deity that’s better than me

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's why I practice mysticism and magic instead of religion, because I want no supreme gods.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I extremely don’t want a relatable deity, I want a deity that’s better than me

You worship everyone?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

If you can't decide, just praise the Sun.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You worship everyone?

Ouch, yes

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

thetoughestbean posted:

Isnt it canon that god wiped most of humanity out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Atheism absolutely is a valid position but I think a decent number of people embraced atheism because they were small-minded and had a very narrow view of the world. That's the internet atheism of the early 2000s flowed so easily into the altright. It was a movement of people who exalted "logic" but didn't see it as a method for discovering fundamental sublime truths of existence. Of course that ends up with Ben Shapiro saying facts don't care about your feelings. Hell, "ends up", it starts there.

Fun fact the first time I read SA, it was a front page article mocking "the war on Christmas" I got linked to from an internet atheist forum. In the halcyon era of, I think, 2005.

Nowadays I identify as a non-practicing jew and lol at Benny Shaps. You should all join us, we get cool hats and there is no heaven or hell. Not one of Ben's hats though, you don a kippah where I'm from it better be brightly loving coloured.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Isnt it canon that god wiped most of humanity out
he apologized after, it's fine. Nowadays he loves it when you rules lawyer him. Dumb motherfucker still believes the entire borough of Manhattan counts as "at home" for Shabbat purposes.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 11:16 on May 15, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The shift to the right with the New Atheist crowd makes me glad that I didn't try and get involved with it beyond just not believing in God. Which you can do on your own time and without a network of people telling you it's the right thing to do.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Also we live in a simulation so none of it is real, nihilism, etc.

The "living in a simulation" thing always struck me as both nonsensical and arrogant (if you assume other humans designed it, or that we'll ever get to the point where we can). Even if we ever develop the technology to run such a complex simulation, I'd like to think we'd be smart enough to not run it like this. What would anyone hope to learn by simulating irrelevant details like me wasting my weekend watching lovely movies, or making a cup of coffee, or getting junk mail? If you really wanted to simulate human development/civilization, it seems far more likely they'd use approximations/fudge factors to avoid having to waste computation time on stuff that doesn't matter and/or would be too difficult, if not impossible, to represent mathematically.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You ever play the Sims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

yeah but you may notice that they didn't bother putting things in like needing to dust, or how wearing a hat messes up your hair. Because it would be a waste of time to and nobody cares about it.