Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

gently caress, guys I told Biden I wouldn't give him a BJ because I needed to wear my mask.

Is this my fault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

gently caress, guys I told Biden I wouldn't give him a BJ because I needed to wear my mask.

Is this my fault?

please refer to my "you can't catch covid from suckin dick" t-shirt

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zeriel posted:

Gimme a McDerna and a side of pfries

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

My brief jaunt out today in Oregon near Portland still showed everyone wearing masks but we still have a state mask mandate so we'll see how long that lasts with open Biden and believe CDCience.

lol just kidding Brown already relaxed this guidance it just had not crossed my news radar yet

gently caress yeah death to all

edit: for outside stuff, business/indoor guidelines to come so depending on that wording it's maybe not the worst?

Don't mind me just live blogging this here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Very healthy Pittsburgh Pirates fans are throwing their masks in the trash, heading to the ballpark to celebrate, and planning the long and healthy lives ahead of them.

oh this dude is just, ahhherrrmmm, disabled. we should sympathize and empathize with him. he's totally not an embodiment of multiple deadly sins all of which are repeatedly found in america

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've been thinking of covid like radiation, because I have a morbid interest in nuclear war and radiation safety. Droplets are like alpha emitters - they'll gently caress you up if they get into your body, but it's fairly simple to avoid inhaling them. Aerosols are like gamma radiation - much harder to mitigate, but you can still take precautions that limit the damage.

Staying in your basement with a stockpile of canned food until the crisis ends is a valid solution to radioactive fallout and to covid.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hope gently caress COREY PERRY will find their way back to the future some day, feels so lonely seeing them trapped in history

time is fake

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mastershakeman posted:

No, I have a do gooder liberal cousin who patiently waited his turn for phase 2 when he was eligible. His kid infected him with covid days before his schedule shot , so again playing by rules he had to push it off and still hasn't gotten the vax. He's probably going to be the last person to get it who tried to get it as soon as possible without bending a single rule (going out of country, etc)

That poo poo is so funny. My local subreddit went from “I’ll virtuously wait until the last possible second to get a vaccine because what if somebody who really needs one needs mine” to “everyone who wants a vaccine already has one, let the unvaccinated die” basically overnight, the moment the vaccines opened up to everyone. That was April 19th, I believe, so death to those who aren’t fully vacced still applies to everyone who went in on day one.

I got mine a little early because of a sweet computer glitch, eleven thousand others in the state got the same accidental invitation, and a whole bunch of people were certain that you were a Bad Person if you took that opportunity. If I had been a good liberal and left that shot on the table, I would currently be in the let them die for being antivaxxers group.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Real Mean Queen posted:

That poo poo is so funny. My local subreddit went from “I’ll virtuously wait until the last possible second to get a vaccine because what if somebody who really needs one needs mine” to “everyone who wants a vaccine already has one, let the unvaccinated die” basically overnight, the moment the vaccines opened up to everyone. That was April 19th, I believe, so death to those who aren’t fully vacced still applies to everyone who went in on day one.

I got mine a little early because of a sweet computer glitch, eleven thousand others in the state got the same accidental invitation, and a whole bunch of people were certain that you were a Bad Person if you took that opportunity. If I had been a good liberal and left that shot on the table, I would currently be in the let them die for being antivaxxers group.

and yet our entire policy on masks and vaccines runs on the honor system

lmfao

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Raiad posted:

and yet our entire policy on masks and vaccines runs on the honor system

lmfao

Everything that happens in America runs on a belief in the prosperity doctrine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I got the first vax appointment available when they opened them to everyone and I'm not even fully vaccinated before all safety restrictions are eliminated, pretty amazing

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Real Mean Queen posted:

idk about your locale and obviously reddit is going to be reddit, but the transition from “hey there’s appointments available so go get one if you want” to “ok fucker why haven’t you been vaccinated yet” was inevitable and, imo, necessary. social pressure works and in this case may actually save lives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MaxAbrahms/status/1393404002591780867

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a bit like COVID in that it's not at all complicated but political leadership keeps insisting that it is because they profit more from handling it badly and sacrificing millions of people to the status quo.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

i'm so glad i cheated the system to get my jab early. if i played by the rules i wouldn't even be fully vaxxed until the 22nd lmao this dumb loving country. so many people are hosed. kids are completely hosed come the fall. loving hell world

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

fosborb posted:

https://twitter.com/eliowa/status/1392546534932238339?s=19

lol did anyone in this thread get one of these so they wouldn't have to touch buttons, touchscreens and door handles

as a broke brain who has used a jacket sleeve/elbow/anything-but-hand to open public door handles for years pre-pandemic, holy poo poo i need to get me one of these

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The best one was that Chinese guy who had a lighter on the end of his pokey stick that would sterilize it after he pressed something.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
So we’re pretty much hosed, right?

Like now that masks and distancing are done for vaccinated people, which is 3/10, but will appear to be 10/10 at churches and concerts and movie theaters and the rest… there’s no going back from this.

I don’t want to die from covid, which is unlikely when you’re vaxxed, but also I DON’T WANT TO GET COVID since you know, long term effects and all that poo poo.

But it’s going to be EVERYWHERE now.

Holy poo poo. If Trump’s CDC made this “mission accomplished” bullshit call would anyone accept it? It’s just…

*crack* *ping*

Or am I the crazy one and it’s cool to go back to movies and restaurants now?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. BT posted:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

TheSlutPit posted:

idk about your locale and obviously reddit is going to be reddit, but the transition from “hey there’s appointments available so go get one if you want” to “ok fucker why haven’t you been vaccinated yet” was inevitable and, imo, necessary. social pressure works and in this case may actually save lives.

Sure, I just don't think it makes sense to do that overnight when we're talking about a vaccine that takes like five or six weeks to set up. It makes no sense at all to combine it with a repeal of precautions that run on the assumption that Americans would never lie in order to do something they want to do.

At the very, very loving least, give us two months between open season on vaccinations and acting like everyone who wants to be vaccinated already is and abandoning all precautions and saying death to everyone who didn't do the thing yet.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Tzen posted:

i'm so glad i cheated the system to get my jab early. if i played by the rules i wouldn't even be fully vaxxed until the 22nd lmao this dumb loving country. so many people are hosed. kids are completely hosed come the fall. loving hell world

Thank you for posting about this by the way. I used your advice exactly to get jabbed early and also helped a lot of my friends working in public-facing jobs to get theirs.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
cdc guidance says if you think masks are good you need therapy and applebees

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Mr. BT posted:

Like now that masks and distancing are done for vaccinated people, which is 3/10, but will appear to be 10/10 at churches and concerts and movie theaters and the rest… there’s no going back from this.

I don’t want to die from covid, which is unlikely when you’re vaxxed, but also I DON’T WANT TO GET COVID since you know, long term effects and all that poo poo.

Holy poo poo. If Trump’s CDC made this “mission accomplished” bullshit call would anyone accept it? It’s just…

*crack* *ping*

From here until our deaths, any responsible person should be wearing a mask and distancing. It's only really going to stop us from reproducing, which we shouldn't be doing under any circumstances anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shima Honnou posted:

if you think masks are good you need tequila and margaritas

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mr. BT posted:

*crack* *ping*

always have been

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

cdc guidance says if you think masks are good you need therapy and applebees

CDC? more like Chimichangas, Daiquiris and Cosmopolitans

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Real Mean Queen posted:

Sure, I just don't think it makes sense to do that overnight when we're talking about a vaccine that takes like five or six weeks to set up. It makes no sense at all to combine it with a repeal of precautions that run on the assumption that Americans would never lie in order to do something they want to do.

At the very, very loving least, give us two months between open season on vaccinations and acting like everyone who wants to be vaccinated already is and abandoning all precautions and saying death to everyone who didn't do the thing yet.

You’re right, though I do think reddit is a terrible bellweather for this sort of thing and the average person is more reserved in their vitriol. I am concerned that “chuds” or whatever are going to become the scapegoat for lagging vaccinations while most places ignore issues of access and outreach among certain demographics.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Mr. BT posted:

*crack* *ping*

Yeah we’re hosed

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Real Mean Queen posted:

Yeah we’re hosed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TheSlutPit posted:

You’re right, though I do think reddit is a terrible bellweather for this sort of thing and the average person is more reserved in their vitriol. I am concerned that “chuds” or whatever are going to become the scapegoat for lagging vaccinations while most places ignore issues of access and outreach among certain demographics.

Latinos have a huge gap between "want vaccine" and "have gotten at least one shot" because they're disproportionately worried about getting narced out to ICE or have gotten disinfo about cost or simply don't have an easy way to get to a clinic.

But yeah there's definitely no way that the white liberals will turn on them when cases start to spike and someone actually looks at that data to figure out who ruined brunch.

White liberals would never turn on the Latino immigrant community.

lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

gradenko_2000 posted:

CDC? more like Chimichangas, Daiquiris and Cosmopolitans

prefer the chimicheesecake tbqh

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

T-Paine posted:

From here until our deaths, any responsible person should be wearing a mask and distancing. It's only really going to stop us from reproducing, which we shouldn't be doing under any circumstances anyway.

:sickos:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The Oldest Man posted:

Latinos have a huge gap between "want vaccine" and "have gotten at least one shot" because they're disproportionately worried about getting narced out to ICE or have gotten disinfo about cost or simply don't have an easy way to get to a clinic.

But yeah there's definitely no way that the white liberals will turn on them when cases start to spike and someone actually looks at that data to figure out who ruined brunch.

lol

The liberals were all scolding each other not to get vaccines in case some underserved minorities needed the shots more. That means that minorities had their chance and no further help will be offered or considered

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

lol

Not sure if this is directed at me, because it seems like it agrees with the second part of my post. Vaccine disparities between demographics are a huge problem and I fully expect liberals to ignore them as long as a convenient scapegoat exists.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

The Oldest Man posted:

(Re: Respirators) In fact, surgical masks were indistinguishable in a cohort study of healthcare participating in aerosol generating procedures like intubation on covid positive patients.

This paper turned out to classify "respirators" more broadly than we do ITT, including N95s and such. This study did not set out to measure thin surgical masks versus the elastomer respirators approved for hazardous gasses in worksites.

Since this study is primarily being used online to spread awareness about eye protection being necessary, I wonder if the study itself was so focused on eye protection as to make it a confounding variable when testing respirators vs surgical masks. Otherwise, if they didn't control for that then yeah, it wouldn't surprise me at all that in an aerosolizing ICU room, if you're not even wearing eye protection, then of course the difference between a good mask and a perfect mask would measure as insignificant in comparison.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

number has been plummeting since january 20th

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is good for number... the other number. the ultimate number.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

oh this dude is just, ahhherrrmmm, disabled. we should sympathize and empathize with him. he's totally not an embodiment of multiple deadly sins all of which are repeatedly found in america

this. it's pretty ableistic to ask people to wear masks imo. what about everyone who doesnt have arms, or is too fat to reach their face, or inhaling their own breath is toxic?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

TheSlutPit posted:

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. BT posted:

*crack* *ping*

get back to spending and consuming consumer. this is hurting people's portfolios and bonuses