Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Holey moley, what a brutal gameboy game.

The Game Boy catalog has a lot of games that took truly huge swings for a system that ran on batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Season 25(!!) kicks off next week, and the first game is... Zelda 1!

The new segment apparently tasks Arino with brushing up on his English skills by comparing the Japanese and Overseas versions of games.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

Season 25(!!) kicks off next week, and the first game is... Zelda 1!

The new segment apparently tasks Arino with brushing up on his English skills by comparing the Japanese and Overseas versions of games.

Something tells me Arino would totally dig the fact that Masked Ninja Hanamaru was turned in a pizza mascot game in the West.

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

A regular contributor to GooseCanyon, SpecsPL, is looking for people to help translate more episodes of the show! If you're interested in helping translate Game Center CX, be sure to let one of us know!

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
That, my geesefriends, is a noble cause, worth fighting (or translating) for!

And I really which I could do it but at least I shared this on Twitter :-)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The new season opener Legend of Zelda has a really funny segment: Learn english with Arino by playing games!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Need that segment in my life.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm looking forward to that! I learned Japanese by watching Game Center CX. Haya, suge hayai, hoshii, pattan haitta, kowai, bikkurishita, doushita, kusou, Speedo clear, etc.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

enojy posted:

I'm looking forward to that! I learned Japanese by watching Game Center CX. Haya, suge hayai, hoshii, pattan haitta, kowai, bikkurishita, doushita, kusou, Speedo clear, etc.

sugoi nihongo desu ne, very jouzu. 草

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

enojy posted:

and you speak it so beautifully!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Pastry of the Year posted:

and you speak it so beautifully!

I like how the implication is that this is a bad thing. I love accents, I hope that I learn a nice Kansai accent if I ever learn Japanese

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pnumoman posted:

I like how the implication is that this is a bad thing. I love accents, I hope that I learn a nice Kansai accent if I ever learn Japanese
It's my default Japanese dialect, which comes in handy mostly only when I'm translating that flavor of Japanese. The first anime series I translated was set in Kyoto and almost entirely in Kansai-ben, lucky for me. I love hearing Arino and other west-side comedians talk--the dialect is like a warm hug to me, weirdly enough.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Playstation 2, GameCube and Game Boy Advance have officially reached 20-years-old retro status and are eligible as platforms in Season 25. Any good challenge ideas there?

https://twitter.com/gccx_official/status/1392871758747869191

Weird to think about how those platforms were only a few years old when the show itself debuted.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 14, 2021

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Very sad that people in the retrogames thread didn't even know this thread exists. We need to do more promotion.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arino, play Chulip. (Actually, what games of that gen would make good challenges?)

And yeah, it wasn't until this particular announcement that I started thinking about the passing of time: GCCX is almost 20 years old, and the USA trip was 10 years ago.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
cubivore and road trip please

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

God Hand

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
If the PS2 is good now, there are a few gems that could be taken:

God Hand
We ♥ Katamari
The Adventures of Darwin
Killer7
Mister Mosquito

And as a Valntine's Day special: Chu♥lip

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I do recall him playing God of War on an episode once. That'd be a notable episode for sure.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vlaphor posted:

I do recall him playing God of War on an episode once. That'd be a notable episode for sure.

IIRC it was an early episode where he played some "western" games and Toujima translated for him.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wow, we're getting western releases of the Famicom Detective Club games on the Switch. Real excited about that, based purely on what I saw of such detective games on GCCX.

PlanetFlavor
Apr 15, 2019
I immediately thought of God of War and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction too. Close the circle. I imagine one of those might be harder to get clearance for.

But Ka and Katamari would be easy slam dunks.

Eternal Darkness and Wario World would be great Gamecube games to see.

There are any number of GBA games that would work great in this format.

That said there are way too many Fami/SuFami/MD/PCEngine games I'd want to see first anyway.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

looking forward to Arino playing The Guy Game

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Viewtiful Joe maybe? I remember that game seeming surprisingly difficult when I tried it way back when.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pikmin, and nothing else.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

36 part F-Zero GX playthrough

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

36 part F-Zero GX playthrough

arino read the copypasta

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally Arino shall play the greatest of all possible games: Crazy Frog Racing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

GBA will be great at any rate, such a gigantic library of quirky titles, and certainly doesn't feel weirdly modern for the show or anything.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
PS2 and GC adds some pretty cool stuff, but I feel like they have barely touched the PSX, N64, and not touched the 3DO and MegaCD at all. GBA is a great addition since it is nearly SNES level tech with tons of random ports, classics, and shovelware that could be fun.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, I hadn't thought about it that way, but there should be a crapton of PS1 games to work with at the very least. I'm glad they're moving up though. The Famicom mines have been pretty much tapped out. They haven't done every game yet, but between those they can't get permissions for and those that just wouldn't make an entertaining episode, there's not much left.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I even forgot about the Saturn. There would probably be some awesome (but nightmare to translate) dating sims and quiz shows that would be pretty funny there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

YES, MY ROAD

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

TeaJay posted:

YES, MY ROAD

Need that segment asap.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
For the PS2 they could make a whole season or segment just out of all the crappy Simple2000-Series games.

and with that I mean that I really want to see Arino play Earth Defense Force and Oneechanbara xD

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The obvious answer would of course be for Arino to challenge Symphony of the Night. He would get a bad ending and have second part trying to clear the rest.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

TeaJay posted:

The obvious answer would of course be for Arino to challenge Symphony of the Night. He would get a bad ending and have second part trying to clear the rest.

Saturn version though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

would definitely laugh when arino spends a few minutes whipping everything's rear end and going "ah, this is easy" then getting his rear end whipped once death takes all your poo poo away

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
He'd have to have Maria bail him out of the prologue fight. Then he'd die before hitting the first save point. At least once. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlanetFlavor
Apr 15, 2019
Unreasonable specifications of transcendental difficulty.

Arino challenges Dragon's Lair on Famicom next. Screenshots show him getting to level 3 at least which is impressive. Epic episode incoming.